• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sooshi shef

Smash Cadet
I'd love to see Konami throw in more characters. They already provided us with Snake but I'd love to see Simon Belmont as a playable character. I'd also like to see Capcom give nintendo some support in the form of Mega Man X or Zero.

Am I the only one who doesn't want a diddy/dixie team? =/
Hell no. Leave Diddy in. He's a decent (I don't use though) stand alone. But how about a Plusle/Minun team?

Kantrip

Kantplay
i have mixed feelings about capcom, i mean i kind of like them, but we don't need more than three
capcom characters or third party characters?

I'm going to assume the latter. Otherwise... lol.

With Snake and Sonic both being added at once in brawl, it's not unreasonable to believe that if Sakurai found potential in characters proposed by 3rd parties, he would add them. Maybe even up to 5 characters. However, there shouldn't be more than one rep from any 3rd party company.

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see Konami throw in more characters. They already provided us with Snake but I'd love to see Simon Belmont as a playable character. I'd also like to see Capcom give nintendo some support in the form of Mega Man X or Zero.

Hell no. Leave Diddy in. He's a decent (I don't use though) stand alone. But how about a Plusle/Minun team?
Diddy +Dixie + bananas = Hell

That and, I think they were gonna have Plusle and Minun in Brawl but didn't finish them or something. However some of their data is still on the disc.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Diddy +Dixie + bananas = Hell

That and, I think they were gonna have Plusle and Minun in Brawl but didn't finish them or something. However some of their data is still on the disc.
Not necessarly, since Plusle & Minun was only on there disc, I doubt Sakurai wanted to expand further on it, as opposed to Dixie+Diddy who were actually intended to be playable at the time but had to scrap the idea due to complications he found within their moveset.

Besides, Pokemon has alot of potential reps this time around, we aren't going to get a scrapped Pokemon over so e of the more newer, more demanded ones for that matter, besides I don't believe it will be expanding to 6 slots, even if it were to happen, I doubt it would be Plusle+Minun due to their popularity.

Here is what I see probable:

•Pikachu
•Jigglypuff
•Pokemon Trainer (Any variation)
•Zoroark/Victini
•Mewtwo/Lucario/Popular pokemon choice.

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ehhh, personally, Diddy and Dixie doesn't appeal to me.

I'd much rather have K. Rool as the only new Donkey Kong rep.

Anyway, I had a thought. Do you think that the 3DS version will have characters that have only been on handhelds, while the Wii U has ones that have only been on Home Consoles, while they share ones that have been on both? The idea just crossed my mind, not that I like the idea...

OmegaXXII

Yeah, I've mentioned a similar idea before, it would consist of exclusives in conjunction to their respective console, for example since Paper Mario will have a 3DS exclusive title for tbe 3DS, then I believe he should be an exclusive, as for the Wii-U it would probably be Shulk from XenoBlade.

Personally I don't like the idea too much myself but if we get some kind of "transferrable" feature that would enable both version to trade or transfer characters then that would be fine, more specifically if it's from the 3DS to the Wii-U.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The transferable feature would be stupid. If the characters are all going to be on the disc/cart anyway, why not just let you use them normally.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Now the Smash Bros. Wii U thread is locked because it went off-topic. Great. :facepalm:

So I guess I'll post here.

Good job, SSBFan. I agree with most of the points and predictions brought up.

I do suggest adding either Shulk or Kanan to the "Modern Unrepresented Franchises" category. With the amount of hype around their games and Operation Rainfall, the games are already building popularity outside of Japan (and Europe in the case of Xenoblade), and they've already been applauded as great games and have sold great in their current homelands (Last Story sold almost 111,000 in it's first week of release in Japan, while Xenoblade was sold out day one in Europe). The chances of a character from them depends on if their games do get released in the Americas. Assuming they do, I think a character from either game is a more likely new franchise rep than Jiro even.

Now then, since we're in the 3DS thread and the general consensus is the 3DS version is single-player-focused, I will repost my ideas for Adventure Mode here.

• Better, More-Nintendo-Focused Story: This is pretty much agreed upon. The question is, how would this be implemented?
  • Play as Each Character in Each Character's Part of the Story: Basically, when you select the Adventure mode option in the menu, you go to the character selection screen and choose a character. Then you play Adventure Mode, but only from the experience of that particular character. So if you choose Pit, you only play his part of the story; you don't get sidetracked by whatever Mario is doing on the other side of the world. There would be a limit to how far you can go with a single character, and once that limit is passed, you can continue with that character. But I have no idea how this would be implemented.
  • Unlockables: I lopped all these features into one category. There are numerous unlockables peppered throughout Adventure mode - some you gain by just completing a level, but others are found through different means. Sometimes you have to do a side-quest given to you by a non-playable Nintendo character to be rewarded. Other times you'll need to explore a level top-to-bottom to find the little secrets. This feature would greatly increase the re-playability of Adventure Mode by encouraging players to find all the various unlockables.
  • Cameo Appearances by Non-Playable Characters: Marth and Caeda sharing a tender moment before Marth separates to begin his quest. Encountering K.K. Slider along a barren trail playing one of his tunes. Seeing Pokemon actually run through the thick grasses of the Kanto region. Waluigi attempting to beat up his rival Luigi before Mario kicks his *** out of town. I don't think this needs much more explaining for it's potential.
  • Side-Quests: Again, another feature that can greatly expand the re-playability and appeal of Adventure Mode. For example, guide a lost Nintendog through the level back to it's owner. Or translate ancient scriptures that describe the story of a lost civilization using Samus's visor. These side-quests would include unlockables as rewards, of course. For example, for guiding the Nintendog home, you gain it as an Assist Trophy in normal play.
  • Secret Areas: Pretty self-explanatory. In levels featuring Zelda characters, for example, you can find Hidden Grottoes underneath the level that contain small enemy encounters and an unlockable as a reward.
  • Mix of More Lighthearted and Darker Tones: The story can start somewhat lighthearted, more akin to the concept behind SSB64. Some humor is perfect; for example, Ness attempting to attack an opponent with PK Fire, but accidentally lighting Luigi's pants on fire and making him run panicked. But as the story progresses, it increases in darkness until it becomes darker than Brawl's story ever was. At it's darkest, for example, a vision of what a Nintendo apocalypse would look like; an emotional and dark concept that should be handled much like the emotionally-gripping incinerator scene in Toy Story 3.
  • Make It Only Unlocked Once the Player Has Unlocked Every Character: All-Star Mode can replace Adventure Mode as the other major available-at-start mode, and can develop and grow as the player unlocks characters to show the player's progress. This prevents Adventure Mode from being just some cheap way to unlock characters and would make it something very much worth the effort.

OmegaXXII

Please, try not to go off-topic in this thread as well, keep it related to Smash 4, no trolling or unnecessary comments are needed, keep it strictly on-topic.

D

Deleted member

Since the Wii-U thread is locked, expect me to be mainly on GameFAQs and Nsider2.

Anyway JavaCroc, I think these are great ideas for a story mode and I agree with them.

One idea for starting a story mode is (assuming Saki and Ray are playable) Saki runs through Ruinous City in an apocalypse and faces off against enemies from his world. The city slowly gets destroyed and overtaken by the enemies of the main villain in the story and enemies from Sin & Punishment. He then faces off against a boss from his game and after defeating him, realizes that the city he tried to defend was destroyed.

A few days later, he comes across Cyber Holosseum and saw Ray and another robot fighting. After Ray won many fights, Saki, impressed with his fighting skills, asked Ray to help him. At first he was very reluctant to do so, but after Saki gave him some convincing, he joins him, neither of which knew what was to come...

Yeah I know this sucks, but just wanted to give an example.
JavaCroc said:
I do suggest adding either Shulk or Kanan to the "Modern Unrepresented Franchises" category. With the amount of hype around their games and Operation Rainfall, the games are already building popularity outside of Japan (and Europe in the case of Xenoblade), and they've already been applauded as great games and have sold great in their current homelands (Last Story sold almost 111,000 in it's first week of release in Japan, while Xenoblade was sold out day one in Europe). The chances of a character from them depends on if their games do get released in the Americas. Assuming they do, I think a character from either game is a more likely new franchise rep than Jiro even.
We'll see about this. Personally, for Shulk and Kanan, I want to wait to see if the games come to America and does well. If so, I'll add them to the list.

Speaking of which, I forgot to add Sheriff to the list of retro's. Will do that once I get time.

OmegaXXII

The transferable feature would be stupid. If the characters are all going to be on the disc/cart anyway, why not just let you use them normally.
Well, let me ask you this, why do you think it's such a bad idea doing so? Also, what if Sakurai doesn't include on disc/on cart but decides to simply decides to offer them through online service exclusively to their respective console?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In terms of Story Modes, how many people would like to actually play as villains on missions of their own? I think this would be much more entertaining than just unlocking them for the final (awful) level, like in Brawl.

Bowser could fight through a Mario level full of Toad and Yoshis to kidnap Peach, Ganondorf could play a level where he must destroy a certain number of Hylian buildings in a set time on a raid, K. Rool could go through a level where he must collect a set number of bananas, stealing from the Kongs.

You get the picture.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Since the Wii-U thread is locked, expect me to be mainly on GameFAQs and Nsider2.
Same here, I'll be jumping ship as well. Nsider2 is even slower than here and Gamefaqs is just a nightmare... So I'll probably just be hanging out in the discussion groups or the Artwork Emporium.

Yeah I know this sucks, but just wanted to give an example. We'll see about this. Personally, for Shulk and Kanan, I want to wait to see if the games come to America and does well. If so, I'll add them to the list.
It wouldn't be very unsubstantiated to start saying Shulk has a chance, what I'm waiting for is too see whether The Last Story or Xenoblade performs better. That is the interesting thing I am watching for.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well, let me ask you this, why do you think it's such a bad idea doing so? Also, what if Sakurai doesn't include on disc/on cart but decides to simply decides to offer them through online service exclusively to their respective console?
You're not thinking of it in a practical manner.

OmegaXXII

Shulk and Kanan definetly have something to add as far as story goes, personally I believe either one would have an excellent chance at the roster considering both XenoBlade and The Last Story are out in Japan as of now, I'm actually optimistic because of this, I guess it just depends whether or not Sakurai in intesrested in the characters themselve.

@Oasis: What do you mean, impractical?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Shulk and Kanan definetly have something to add as far as story goes, personally I believe either one would have an excellent chance at the roster considering both XenoBlade and The Last Story are out in Japan as of now, I'm actually optimistic because of this, I guess it just depends whether or not Sakurai in intesrested in the characters themselve.

I don't know, I think I prefer Elza most of all. It is like being able to have a Final Fantasy character without having a Final Fantasy character.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Are you suggesting, to avoid having version exclusive characters on the opposite versions, that said characters are only available online? That to "transfer" a character, you have to be within a Wi-Fi connection? Do you have to go through this process every time you want to transfer a character...?

It's just impractical and NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Can someone explain this "transfer" system?

Is it that the DS version would have some exclusive characters that in order to play online you'd have to transfer to the Wii?

OmegaXXII

I don't know, I think I prefer Elza most of all. It is like being able to have a Final Fantasy character without having a Final Fantasy character.
Elza definetly has that Final Fantasy, and while I do prefer to also see Elza as well you also have take into effect that Elza indeed comes from the game that sold the least out of the trio in Japan, I may be wrong concerning Elza so you may have to correct me.

@Oasis: Like I mentioned, I also don't like or support the idea too much but you have consider what Nintendo might want to do in their best interest, I in no way am in support of this, I'm just stating a possibility that might occur in case we were to get exclusives.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Elza definetly has that Final Fantasy, and while I do prefer to also see Elza as well you also have take into effect that Elza indeed comes from the game that sold the least out of the trio in Japan, I may be wrong concerning Elza so you may have to correct me.

Currently The Last Story is performing the best of them all with Pandora's Tower selling the least.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
So, with the Wii U thread gettin' locked for being way too off-topic, does that mean we can't joke around like we used to before? Like, we can't joke about the topic of the thread?

OT: I support the idea of version exclusives, but I agree that transferring characters is impractical. They should just make them timed-exclusive content, and make them available for both versions via an update/free DLC about a month later.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
3DS version can't have exclusives. Transferring itself isn't impractical, and besides we know the 3DS version can transfer characters to the WiiU version.

Just the way Omega was proposing was impractical.

OmegaXXII

So, with the Wii U thread gettin' locked for being way too off-topic, does that mean we can't joke around like we used to before? Like, we can't joke about the topic of the thread?

OT: I support the idea of version exclusives, but I agree that transferring characters is impractical. They should just make them timed-exclusive content, and make them available for both versions via an update/free DLC about a month later.

No, we cannot, unless you want this one to head down the same path.

Anyway, as far as exclusives are concerned, how do you suggest this time thing to work? Wouldn't it be easier just to include exclusive already? If any timed characters should be added they should be totally new ones that aren't in either game, I guess.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
With the Smash Bros. Wii U thread closed, there's not much else for me to discuss. As a result, my activity will most likely dwindle now.

Sorry, but I have nothing to discuss for the 3DS version.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
With the Smash Bros. Wii U thread closed, there's not much else for me to discuss. As a result, my activity will most likely dwindle now.

Sorry, but I have nothing to discuss for the 3DS version.
Me too I guess, and with school coming up my activity will go down even more. :(

I don't have much to say for the 3DS, so I hope we can mix it together with the Wii U version.

Either way I just hope we get some good debates in here soon so this thread will become more active and fun. As from what I can see this thread is all about single player and exclusives, topics that I see as a little boring or just not really debateable. :(

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
No, we cannot, unless you want this one to head down the same path.

Anyway, as far as exclusives are concerned, how do you suggest this time thing to work? Wouldn't it be easier just to include exclusive already? If any timed characters should be added they should be totally new ones that aren't in either game, I guess.

Well, really, I'd only want this to happen for Pokémon, because Sakurai claimed to have the most difficulty choosing Pokémon for the roster. Plus, having too much exclusive content between the two versions would be a bad move.

What I mean with "timed-exclusive" is that the content would be exclusive to one version for a limited amount of time, and then after that time expires, they would be made available for the other version as DLC. Like, for example, Zoroark would be exclusive to the Wii U version of SSB4 for about 4 weeks, while Victini would be exclusive to the 3DS version of SSB4 for about 4 weeks. After those 4 weeks, Zoroark would be made available to the 3DS version as DLC, while Victini would be made available to the Wii U version as DLC.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Bionic could have just said to stop posting off-topic. I really don't understand if something like that happens it's an instant lock. Whatever.

Well, the 3DS version shouldn't have exclusive characters imo. It should have the essential franchise characters, and obviously stuff you do on the 3DS can just be transferred to the Wii U, which is the main version of the game seeing as how everything goes there.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Bionic could have just said to stop posting off-topic. I really don't understand if something like that happens it's an instant lock. Whatever.
I can't blame them. You guys had 8-10 pages of no real discussion. It was horrendous. You can try to ask for the topic open. Just don't make this "Status on my life thread."

OmegaXXII

Well, really, I'd only want this to happen for Pokémon, because Sakurai claimed to have the most difficulty choosing Pokémon for the roster. Plus, having too much exclusive content between the two versions would be a bad move.

What I mean with "timed-exclusive" is that the content would be exclusive to one version for a limited amount of time, and then after that time expires, they would be made available for the other version as DLC. Like, for example, Zoroark would be exclusive to the Wii U version of SSB4 for about 4 weeks, while Victini would be exclusive to the 3DS version of SSB4 for about 4 weeks. After those 4 weeks, Zoroark would be made available to the 3DS version as DLC, while Victini would be made available to the Wii U version as DLC.

Yes, Pokemon would indeed make more sense to have as DLC, given that we hVe alot of choices it wouldn't really be hard to include some extra Pokemon options as DLC, like you mentioned, if a "timed" option was added they would be
available within a short time after release date, but if it were I. Such a short time, the i'd rather have them all on-disk already.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
closing the wii u thread is a mistake without making a sub thread

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Can the discussion about the Wii U thread being closed please discontinue?
It will be reopened guys, it's not gone forever.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Hmm not much to say here, but do you guys think the Wii U version and the 3DS version will come out on the same day?

OmegaXXII

Hmm not much to say here, but do you guys think the Wii U version and the 3DS version will come out on the same day?

Well, I'm guessing since Sakurai does indeed have a larger development team, possibly over 100 then I believe both project will be out on the same day, I believe that SORA Ltd. will divide it's development team to work on both games seperatly, considiring how large it is this should definetly make things easier for Sakurai as well, as be mentioned in Brawl he was working long nights and was roughly working on it himself hence why it was delayed a couple of times, I believe.

This time around though since it's a larger team I believe they will want to release and market both at the same time, or if the 3DS were to sell less than I can see the 3DS version probably coming out sooner but even if the 3DS were to be completed I am doubting they would release it right away, unless like I said; it would be to help raise the sales of the 3DS system itself.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
^That seems about right, I was working on my Zoroark moveset and I was wondering how Illusion would work any ideas?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Well, what did you have in mind for it's illusion? Sort off like the Double Team move?

To be honest, I didn't really have anything in mind I was just wondering how Sakurai would incorporate its ability in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom