• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Roy Social!

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Strawhats, you know I've given you the business :p

Also, not sure if I'm going to apex. It doesn't fit nearly as well into my schedule this year, but i'll try.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
also hope you're going to Apex Sethlon...haven't played a really good Roy b4, unless you count HBK giving me the business with his Roy(secondary) a few years back.
Unfortunately its highly unlikely. I'm a broke college student, and Ashes to Ashes is pretty much the only reason I've hung on to Melee as long as I have. I'm not quite going full cold turkey (yet), but the likelihood/possibility for me to go out of my way for a Melee tournament is pretty dismal right now.
I would consider trying to go for Project M since thats pretty much my new thing, but from what I understand Apex isn't really putting forth any effort on the Project M front.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
College is honestly the best time to travel for or be heavily into smash.

Unless after you graduate you get an absolutely ay-****ing-mazing job which pays you really well--while simultaneously giving you good amounts of time off and not necessitating you to work weekends.
Need a ton of money because you'll have more bills than ever after college--rent, utilities, maintenance, car, loan payments, insurance, food, etc., etc.; time is for more obvious reasons.

Realistically those jobs only go to a tiny percentage of college grads, and most likely you will either a) not have a good enough paying job to do much, or b) need to work so often you won't be able to travel hardly ever. College is great because you aren't time-impoverished, and you aren't particularly money-impoverished either, since you pay for most of your major expenses one semester at a time (frequently with loans.)

And once you get your own family, basically just forget it. (I am married now and wouldn't trade it for anything, but my smash career is extremely limited.)

Take advantage of the college years, fellow smashers.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
High school is great, all I do on weekends is smash with my bros (and play borderlands :)). But I never get to travel.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Cinbad please leave the Roy boards, downs smash has no place here.

Edit: it's not a typo

Also, @roy dittos, Roy's fsmash kills Roy waaaaaay to early

odinNJ

Smash Lord
@ run lol :)

@ ripple, meh, it's ok. Easily punishable, hard to combo into. Even though it does come out fast
It's my least favorite smash attack of the three

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
I cried when I found out roy wasn't in brawl,at least,I did when I learned of his amazing power...:cry:
how large are we?how many of us are there?
upsmash is really good for racking up damage,hit em right,you get them in the air,combo time!and yeah,Fsmash is way broken...especially since moves don't go stale..at least,not as much.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
High school is great, all I do on weekends is smash with my bros (and play borderlands :)). But I never get to travel.
Hmmm, that's funny. I was under the impression you had no time to smash because every waking moment of your life was dedicated to your mountains of schoolwork.

Really, what a slap in the face.:ohwell:

odinNJ

Smash Lord
All Saturday means between school which ends at one and programming cub which starts at 5, not mh time to travel

I also have these things called protective parents

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Lol "travel", any one of the possible schools you go to (Hun, PDS, Lawrenceville School, ND, Pennington School), is within 15 mins of me. Not to mention I assume you can't drive yet, so I'd be doing the "travel".

And let me get this straight, you're parents let you go to a No Johns tourney 2 hours away in NY with random college students, and yet you can't meet up with a someone who goes to HVCHS? Yes, this all makes a lot of sense. I'm done with this...

Also, you think I don't know that you have protective parents when they sent you to private school when you live within the princeton public schooling system?:rotfl:

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Yo, if you come to a no johns that me,run, and cinbad can make than we can talk about it. plus, they let me go to no johns but my dad sat in the car outside working. whearas giving a random person an address is a little different

Cinbad

Smash Cadet
Odin he's in high school as well, its not like you're giving your address to a rapist or something
But yeah, I really feel bad for ignoring this guy for almost a year now, we should try to set up a date.
Next weekend isn't really good for us, but the weekend after that is GOAT

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Yeah i do feel bad, its just that that would be an akward conversation.

'hey dad, would it be cool if this random guy from the internet came to our house to play video games?"

yeah, i dont think so, RUN pls host

also, we should take this to PMs

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Sounds good to me. Odin, just let your parents know that your own house is the best possible way for these things. They completely control the circumstance, you are within contact and site at all times. They can talk to me before I come in. Also, you don't necessarily have to say we talked online. We live so close it's conceivable we met IRL (who knows, I may have run into one of you at some point or another).

Anyway, sorry for debunking the Roy Social. But this is social...and I played Roy...once.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
DED is a 10/10 would use move. especially for mega defense mode

odinNJ

Smash Lord
whatup bing, also, hurricane stopped me from practicing for like days and then i came back and randomly started getting off

Bing

Smash Master
Hurricane stopped me from... Walking home from work on Monday night... Didnt get hit TOO hard by Sandy Cheeks, just a branch almost went through my sliding glass window.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Roy 101:

Dash dance grab something (Sheik, Ganon, Link, whatever)

Throw and force techs however many times necessary to get them into a vulnerable position, mix side-B and d-tilt where necessary but focus on throwing them to force techs that you can chase on reaction

If you're slow to react then make sure you space to avoid their counterattack, combo break option, or whatever (or bait it with dash dance, or wait for it to miss and then hit them - they all work to some degree)

At some point F-smash on a tech stand (at like 40%+, ideally not across the stage but in a spot where they go offstage)

Edgeguard with stuff - his edgeguard is decent

Repeat until you've won

I summarized Roy's best combo vs non FFer / non floaty and best strategy in neutral in one post w00t

Floaties are lame though

Vs them just DD camp and grab, sword them in the air when possible with your poking sword moves (fair, side-B, jab, uair, etc), try to grab them if they land and escape the combo (or if you're not confident in the poking thing) and expect the game to take 5-7 minutes unless you cheese them or get cheesed yourself

Roy just tries to make up for all his weaknesses through ground control & positioning & out-ranging people. It's lame but sadly better than GAW (at high level; lower & mid level GAW is way better than Roy at that level).

If they platform camp with a heavy then switch to Fox if they get a lead 'cuz that's lame and gay. Or go FD.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Your thoughts on floaties is pretty close to correct. You pick and poke with your range until you can guess a killing blow. One thing that you can do though, is that you can DED most floaties into the ground and techchase fsmash.

I've taken to playing against a samus as roy recently because it's good practice for finding openings for kill moves. Needless to say it's a *****.

Bing

Smash Master
Floaties are lame though

Vs them just DD camp and grab, sword them in the air when possible with your poking sword moves (fair, side-B, jab, uair, etc), try to grab them if they land and escape the combo (or if you're not confident in the poking thing) and expect the game to take 5-7 minutes unless you cheese them or get cheesed yourself
Your thoughts on floaties is pretty close to correct. You pick and poke with your range until you can guess a killing blow. One thing that you can do though, is that you can DED most floaties into the ground and techchase fsmash.
You pretty much repeated him expect he said tech chase grab, you said tech chase to f-smash. But earlier in his post, he even said tech chase throw until you get them into a vulnerable position. I.E to f-smash them.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
DED to make a knockdown is cute

Just pray they don't tech stand though because if they do they're actually at frame advantage iirc

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You can't really DD camp Ganon with Roy, all I have to do is wait until you get cornered and not throw anything. I can just threaten him with moves that may come. Roy's moves are so terrible that there's no need to be scared of anything especially with Ganon where i can live to 200% easily. I always wait for Roy to do something first because he will have to at some point lol, I certainly don't need to.

The matchup was always 9-1 in my eyes. Easy edgeguard, CG, out-ranged, easy early KOs.. you don't really get punished very hard either. It takes forever for Roy to do dmg. lol.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
why would you use DED for knockdown as anything except for a mixup, ded is a spacing/getting them off the freakin edge tool

camerino1

Smash Lord
I don't feel like Ganon outranges Roy, Kage. I know you play more, but Roy has the exact same range as Marth and that's why Marth has a good match up on Ganon. Yes, it's weaker on the tip, but it's still there and exists. His sweet-spot is everything but the tip too, even his head, so yeah, he's not without range.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
roy has less range than marth (because he's shorter, which does make a difference) but barely.

and the MU isn't 9-1 but it's pretty bad.

I didn't get blown up by you kage when we played.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Thats because Im not able to blow up anyone, my style doesnt allow me to. I'm adaptive with reads and instinct, I don't do everything optimally at all. It can happen that I can 4 stock someone just like it can be close.

Ganon has pretty much equal range than Marth, you underestimate his hitbox imo.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
ganon defiantly out-ranges roy, but that doesn't mean that roy cant get inside of ganon, that's where his pseudo speed comes in handy. But yes it is a pretty bad matchup, crouch cancel jab is pretty mean on roy, ditto with kick.

Renth

Smash Hero
When I played UmbreonMow in this match up 2,000 years ago. He just dash dance camped and anytime I approached he either did a random side b combo, grabbed me and if I mixed up any kind of approach he'd run away and poke hits at me enough until he could get me off stage. If ganon gets back on stage in this match up you're doing something wrong.. Very, Very, Wrong.

edit:

I'd post some matches of Exarch and I playing the match up but they are very outdated

odinNJ

Smash Lord
its alot about the ded, however the roy has to remember that one f*** up and hes done, whearas ganon has to space his aeirals perfectly to get guarenteed hits. The main problem is that they both work hard, but when roy succeeds its for minimal payoff, but when ganon succeeds its a stock.

Top Bottom