• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Roy Social!

Madra Rua

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I feel like a sizable portion of reading and/or predicting techs (if not overall skill) comes from experience with higher level play. I'm trying to get out and play with different people, but my car just cracked a cylinder, so it's been tough.

Bing

Smash Master
Pfft I dont even drive. No Johns!

But yeah it just takes practice, it becomes habit almost, the second you see the movement you automatically go. I worked on my tech chasing by using Falcon and Sheik.

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
Hey folks, longtime Roy main looking to get into tourney play, so I joined the forums pretty recently and wanted to say hi. As far as cool stuff goes, I'm all about the DED 3^ spike; it's not too difficult to catch people with it when you know they'll tech towards the ledge.
But the meteor is so slow that pretty much anyone would cancel it, much like the Dair meteor.

Usmash spike all the way.

camerino1

Smash Lord
DED3^ isn't that bad of a meteor. I don't know where it stands, but it's really not that bad. It's good for tech chasing at mid-percents. D-air chasing only works on Marth, as Sethlon shows gracefully in his combo video.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I really like both, however roy marth is always a man fight imo, its a raw spacing battle (except we get punished super hard)

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Roy vs Marth is only fun if you can finish your combos. If you can't, he lives to 200% and takes an extra stock or two.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
D-air chasing only works on Marth, as Sethlon shows gracefully in his combo video.
It works on other characters too (anywhere from fall speed of around sheik -> marth), but Marth is the nice medium where he doesn't fall too fast for tech chasing afterwards to be difficult, and not so slow that meteor cancelling it is really easy.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Yeah, I know it works on other people, Marth is just the easiest to do it with. Which is interesting, because it makes things just a little easier on us.

Madra Rua

Smash Cadet
Nice, that third stock on FD was pretty sweet. I'm a fan of flare blade off stage, I feel like that little bit that hits below Roy's feet makes a difference

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
Is there a skype group happening? cause I'm looking for an easier way to communicate with people

Orion_

Smash Rookie
Hello, denizens of the Roy Zone. It seems a little dead in here, but I'm sure the fires burn within.

My name is Chris and I'm an alcoholic I main Roy in Melee. I'm up in Olympia, Washington, where Falco and Marth are far and away the most played characters. I've been playing Melee for a bit over two months, which is just long enough to realize how very far I have to go!

I main Ganondorf in PM, so when I started playing Melee I wanted to play someone completely different. From a hard-hitting heavy who can hang out in the sky to... a small man with leaden feat and a flaming pool noodle. So far I haven't posted any staggering results, but I think I have a long way to improve before the character's limitations will realistically get in my way. If I end up on stream at one of the local tournaments I'll be sure to send some clips this way.

Orion_

Smash Rookie
Oh dang, someone else in the Roy board! I've heard about him playing it, but I haven't seen it in any videos. Do you have a recommended set to watch?

Last edited:

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Oh dang, someone else in the Roy board! I've heard about him playing it, but I haven't seen it in any videos. Do you have a recommended set to watch?
VGBC has a set of his on YouTube from S@X a few days ago against Idare. DJ Nintendo makes it look like the tier list has been reversed.

Orion_

Smash Rookie
Hmm, it looks like Idare fell for the back throw -> forward smash trick, then changed his DI in such a way that back throw -> forward tilt caught him. I think if he DI'd up and away instead he'd have been completely fine. In the second game, DJ Nintendo read that option and caught him with a short hop up-air. The fourth time, he went for a platform and was followed by a back air. Fantastic stuff.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Hi, I recently picked up Roy and i'm really enjoying him so far, I used to be a marth main then i switched to ganon but now i feel Roy. I'm based in the SoCal region and I go to the Oomba center in Laguna hills weekly

Top Bottom