• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Roy Social!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I don't think like anyone is going. they picked a poor date to hold the tournament

Bing

Smash Master
A better question is: How many of you lovely people are going to Apex?

Kage, you better go, Odin if you don't go I'll pull a Nielson from Taken.

Ripple: Hi. Sorry, I don't know you(Mind you I don't know Odin, but he's NJ local)

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Ill try to make it but no promises. I have high school to worry about ;__; also im touring colleges on basically all of my breaks. Ill try to make it. I really want to have roy and roy vs roy and roy doubles XD

edit: I have school on the 14th and 15th. the 13th is a sunday but id have to pray i dont have any tests on that monday or its no go for me (parents would be all: "You have to study on sunday so you cant go"

odinNJ

Smash Lord
haha lol i dont really care. i actually rotate alot. blue is just my fav

Divinokage

Smash Legend
A better question is: How many of you lovely people are going to Apex?

Kage, you better go, Odin if you don't go I'll pull a Nielson from Taken.

Ripple: Hi. Sorry, I don't know you(Mind you I don't know Odin, but he's NJ local)
Nope it isn't happening this year.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Maaaaaaan, I wish I could afford something like that. I don't even have a passport though, so there's no way I'm getting to the US for a Smash tournament anytime soon.

FurySpark

Smash Rookie
I'm going to the one in Toronto on the 25th of November. It'll be my first smash tourney ever. I main Roy and i hope i can make the Roy community proud!

odinNJ

Smash Lord
this is a general question.

in my (6 months?) of playing roy specifically, I have never come across some sort of roy specific maneouver that I could not do.

so,

Is there any challanging roy tech that I dont know of (run off flare blade, ledge hop nair, dashattack-> drop and grab ledge)

camerino1

Smash Lord
Apparently if you're frame-perfect, you can SH > d-air, and survive off the ledge. I read that somewhere, but I've never seen it done.

Also, ledgehop > n-air doesn't kill you instantly if you don't do it jumping onto the stage?! I tried getting it, but I just a bit too far every time.

Edit: I'm about 4 hours north, so we live on opposite sides of the city :(

odinNJ

Smash Lord
@ nair, I saw pyro get it once and then tried it for a while and eventually got it. Its really tough but it works. also I heard about the SH dair thing but it sounded impossible so I never tried it lol

edit: yup, just got it a few times, you have to start moving sideways before you use it, momentarily stop moving sideways, use nair, then keep moving (and lcancel of course).

but yeah, it works

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Ledgehop nair is pretty easy once you practice it for a while.

Also I'm not sure, but I've been experimenting with roy's ledgehop and I think you can make it entirely invincible if you ledgehop and fast fall back to the edge (and then release the ff). Of course you're very liable to kill yourself, but it's a pretty nice trick.

FurySpark

Smash Rookie
I heard that Roy has the only Up smash move that can spike if timed perfectly in the sweet spot.

"Roy's Up Smash is the only Up Smash in Super Smash Bros. history that is a spike, but only when sweetspotted." - Wiki

Bing

Smash Master
Dont be lame, come to Toronto tournaments. If you want to get good, you have to play the best!. Also, trips to NJ aren't that Expensive, I mean my total bus/train fare is coming to 156$. Thats 130$ for busing to and from New York, then taking a train from New York to New Jersey and back. Get on that!

Not too far. By the Hamilton area.:)
Hey :) Roy Dittos for sure, Im that guy who uses every character in friendlies.. maybe even MMs. I look forward to meeting you :)

Theres another guy who uses Roy, his tag is ZERO... I don't know if he's coming, I think he's attended quite a few monthlies but only entered one(The last one)

camerino1

Smash Lord
Yeah, Roy's u-smash spikes. I use it on spacies sometimes to get a tech-chase going, but other than that, you're better off using the entire attack to try and get a kill on a floaty, or combo a ff'er.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
dtilt uair usmash is a pretty funny combo, you cant get much out of it but its hilarious,

also for killing floaties dsmash is my main man. (my main, VERY LAGGY, man).

camerino1

Smash Lord
Only if you don't hit. Start-up isn't laggy on d-smash. Also, you can get more moves in after u-smash, because it has hitstun, even if they DI out and don't get hit by the last one. U-smash > dash attack > f-smash is a combo on ff'ers

FurySpark

Smash Rookie
Hey :) Roy Dittos for sure, Im that guy who uses every character in friendlies.. maybe even MMs. I look forward to meeting you :)
Yea me too! Just hope things go well and i can get there. But besides that my Roy is meh. I try to be different (i know.. i'm a rebel) Like i think all of you guys know this but with Roy you really need to think and plan your moves.

I play my brother (were both noobs) He mains Young Link so its hard to get practice when were both noobs but we manage. I get to points when i'm playing with Roy where i;m just like combo'ing him and not killing him. Like i nair cant KO, i fair its no KO, so i really rack up the Hp too much. So that's my only big problem.

Sorry...i kinda went off rambling haha :]

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Only if you don't hit. Start-up isn't laggy on d-smash. Also, you can get more moves in after u-smash, because it has hitstun, even if they DI out and don't get hit by the last one. U-smash > dash attack > f-smash is a combo on ff'ers
yeah usmash can combo into other stuff of course, I love dair when they dont di just for the lols, also uair usmash can be nice.

with regards to dsmash, the actual startup is insanely fast (5 frames?). I did in fact mean that if you wiff it the opponent can take a nap and still have time to punish it.

camerino1

Smash Lord
So it seems like our social died. Come on guys, we've gotta have stories to talk about in here!

I recently killed a Peach and a Mario with the d-air meteor. It felt nice :cool:

camerino1

Smash Lord
I've gotten it in a match on my friends Falco. He didn't like it at all, and said that that was stupid. I just laughed because I knew it could happen and I was hoping it would :D

camerino1

Smash Lord
That is horrible. I think it's the strongest spike at 0% though, so if you can somehow trick them with it... I guess it's an option for a kill at really low percent?

Madra Rua

Smash Cadet
Hey folks, longtime Roy main looking to get into tourney play, so I joined the forums pretty recently and wanted to say hi. As far as cool stuff goes, I'm all about the DED 3^ spike; it's not too difficult to catch people with it when you know they'll tech towards the ledge.

Bing

Smash Master
Hey folks, longtime Roy main looking to get into tourney play, so I joined the forums pretty recently and wanted to say hi. As far as cool stuff goes, I'm all about the DED 3^ spike; it's not too difficult to catch people with it when you know they'll tech towards the ledge.
Tech's become less predictable as you get to high levels, plus generally people tech in from the ledge out of fear of being in a bad position (Mostly at lower levels)

Top Bottom