• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Roy Social!

camerino1

Smash Lord
I asked around a bit about it and I was told that there was one a few years ago, but it wasn't too social when compared to other socials. I then went on to ask if I could make a completely open social just to talk to you fine Roy mains around North America, and it's okay. So everyone, lets make this the best social thread on the Smashboards :)

I'll start.
My name is Cameron, I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm a pretty easy going person. I like music and gaming and I'm getting into University in less than a year. I like RPG's for the most part, my favorites being FE10, FF9 and Dark Cloud 2.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Jo, i'm Kingclubber, I live in Los Angeles,California in my underground base plotting smash theories on various character.

I'm currently doing research on Pichu, Roy, Mewtwo and Falco, I work on improving they're chances of victory. I gone to 5 unknown melee tournaments not known by the smash scene, and to the very first brawl tournament hosted by nintendo before brawl's released.

I might be new to smash boards, but i'm not new to melee.

My current study on Roy is the highly usefulness of d-tilt to f-tilt against fast fallers. Then a great switch up after mid level damage % dtilt to utilt (?Chase to another utilt?)

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
Yello, my name is Mark Rivera, I mained Roy for a little bit. People say I play a lot like Marth with him. Anyways, I have always liked Roy but I doubt his potential and I think at the current metagame he isn't going to move very far.

However I still love playing the boy and am in search on how to hide his overly obvious weaknesses and play on his strengths.

I live in New York City and I have only played smash for about 6-7 months.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Sup guys. I'm Pyro. Live in north jersey/rochester. I'm a badass. I come up with cool roy **** from time to time. I currently attend RIT for school, and have an interest in game theory.

I think I'm technically one of the "good" roy players even though I don't rate worth ****. But at least i'm partially known by some of the community.

I'm currently working on trying to be better at not autopiloting through my matches.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Hi everyone, I'm Sethlon, and I'm a Roy addict. Been so since 2004, and I don't think I'll ever truly shake the habit.

Fighting games are sort of my thing. I've played in lots of different ones in tournament; Melee, Brawl, Guilty Gear (Slash and AC), Soul Calibur 4, Blazblue, Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3, and a bunch of others I never got around to playing in tournament. I'm looking forward to Skullgirls, Persona 4: Madoka Arena, and SFxT.

I'm a fan of video games in general. I'm doing a run through of all the Fire Emblem games atm, on Roy's game currently. (Hes mathematically inferior in that game too #_#)

camerino1

Smash Lord
I was thinking about Roy in his game and you saying he's inferior. He isn't in terms of availability and growth rates, it's only his incredibly late promotion that hurts him. My last Roy had 21 luck and 17 speed at level 20. Ike is technically one of the greatest units of all time in his games though, he's pretty good (and runs off with a guy, rather than having a possible 7 wives like Roy :p). Marth on the other hand is just very meh, he's alright but never anything fantastic in his games.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Let's talk about you personal current worst matchups and why. IC's excluded just for the sake of not having everyone's be that.

Current bads for me are falco and samus.

falco: a falco that really knows how to abuse roy's cc weakness seems to be really tough. fortunately i get a lot of falco practice, but i usually just ***** marth for it. the biggest problem i have with it is getting overwhelmed. i can't manage around so much flying red laser turds.

samus: this is pretty self explanatory. she a ho. the only legit way to approach her is by grabbing, and if she knows it, the approach is really hard.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Outside of Hector, I don't think I've seen a Lord who is level 20 who DOESN'T have a speed of 20 :c His luck is nice, but he doesn't do good damage and he's super squishy. Mathematically I don't think his high Luck is worth the low/mediocre stats every where else, but I'll leave the number crunching for another time.

Falco's a pain =/ I want to start practicing powershield -> jab, hopefully that will cut through his shield pressure a bit.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I know this guy. I've played him in person a bit, and he's a Falc-ho. Laser spam is evil and I don't play people enough at all. I should go over to his house at teach him again, because I'm sure I've gotten a little better since we last played.

My personal worst when playing friends and the one I have the hardest time against. Probably gonna say Falco because the 2 best play Falco, but if not because they are better than me then I have the worst time against Ganon. His jab kills me, it renders me ineffective to the extreme :p

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I know this guy. I've played him in person a bit, and he's a Falc-ho. Laser spam is evil and I don't play people enough at all. I should go over to his house at teach him again, because I'm sure I've gotten a little better since we last played.

My personal worst when playing friends and the one I have the hardest time against. Probably gonna say Falco because the 2 best play Falco, but if not because they are better than me then I have the worst time against Ganon. His jab kills me, it renders me ineffective to the extreme :p
You should play Matt in Roy dittos... I'd beat you both in Roy dittos :)

camerino1

Smash Lord
I've beaten you in Roy dittos before though, we've had a few Roy dittos and I don't think I've lost one yet :p

I've asked him to play me, but I don't know where he lives or anything like that, so it's a little difficult. You should get him over sometime and I'll bike over and we'll all play.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I'd personally agree that Samus is one of my hardest matchups (besides ICs) as a Roy main. HowdoIgetin.jpg

camerino1

Smash Lord
Hey there, you're new on the boards it seems with your huge post count :p. Welcome to the Roy boards, but I'm not one of the long-time Roys here so I'm probably not the best to give advice. Samus is a jerk, but I've never fought a good human one so I can't give a good idea as to how to fight her.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
Indeed sir! Pretty new to competitive smash as well. In regards to the Samus matchup, I at least know DED can take out missiles. That's about the extent of my knowledge for the matchup. D:

camerino1

Smash Lord
Mhmm, the first hit is a good spacing tool as well. When I'm fighting my friends I do DED1 and then D-smash and it usually connects and kills. In the off chance it doesn't hit I take a big hit instead :p

camerino1

Smash Lord
Yeah. D-smash from what I've tried on my friends combos with jab and DED1 to an extent. If they DI in so they don't die from an F-smash it's a hit with D-smash and a strong hit too. Over 140% it's more than likely a death.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
Ahh, I see. Still though, seems pretty risky, since if they see it coming they can DI out. But what do I know? Only been playing Smash competitively for about 2 months.

camerino1

Smash Lord
D-smash is always a risky move, but it's Roys second strongest attack uncharged and comes out extremely quickly. It's hard to see coming because start-up lag is minimal.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I see. Thanks for the advice. I'll take anything I can get to get better. I always saw Roys throw out D-Smash, but never understood quite why other than it's a good kill move.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Glad to help anyone I can. It's just a fast move that has kill potential. Far less start-up lag than F-smash and more kill potential than U-smash (which is my personal favorite smash attack in the entire series :p)

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I find myself going for U-Smash a lot. Not sure if it's a bad habit or not, but I usually only use it when they're on a platform above me or something.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I like using it then, it has more kill potential and does more damage than u-tilt and f-tilt, especially because you are probably tipping. I like using U-smash to combo into F-smash personally, as long as whoever I'm fighting doesn't DI away. In which case I usually f-air, I should be using flare blade at that point instead though...

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I always thought Flare Blade was used for edgeguarding. Never knew it had other uses. /:

camerino1

Smash Lord
It's Roys farthest sending aerial, you can jump off stage and send people farther away than your other basic ones. I was just thinking that I could improvise off of the U-smash if it's last hit doesn't connect and maybe if they are near the edge it could send them far enough to kill. U-smash can't be CC'd, but you have to be standing on their heads for that to really even matter :p

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
So what do you guys think Roy's best options after D-tilt are? I personally go for F-smash and Nair for the most part.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Dtilt combos really depend on the character and percent. Dtilt -> fsmash does a heft amount of damage, but it only works on semi fast fallers. If they're just too high to fsmash, short hop, wait for roy to reach the arc of the jump, and then fast fall a fair...combos into regrab/dtilt/ftilt/fsmash depending on their DI/weight. Against the spacies you're better off grabbing and getting the chaingrab damage. Nair is your bread and butter if they're too high to do any of the above.

And then theres dair spike tech chasing once they hit around 90%...:colorful:

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Oh, okay. Thanks, Sethlon. What do you suggest on characters with weight like Samus?
losing

but seriously, samus can cc dtilt like a boss. but i assume you also mean floaties in general, in which case you can always follow up dtilt with fair or uair unless it's jiggs (mid->high percent).

camerino1

Smash Lord
I don't know for sure, I haven't played a good human Jiggs, but jab > D-smash hits until 80%. If they DI away it wont but it's a sneaky trick and it can score kills. If someone could check this as a viable kill tactic against floaties I would appreciate it :)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Oh, okay. Thanks, Sethlon. What do you suggest on characters with weight like Samus?
Against CC heavy characters like Samus, you have to rely a bit more on grabs. Can't actually combo her out of them, but fthrow puts her in a bad spot; if she double jumps afterwards, you can meet her with a full hop nair; afterwards she has no jump, so you can juggle her with uairs. If she doesn't jump, you can wavedash in and poke with dtilt/grab.

Taking floaties double jump away from them is a great position to be in; its the only time in the match up where Roy has complete control. If you can get under them and keep them in the air with uair, you can wrack up a ton of damage, and if they try to airdodge through you can catch them with smashes.

I don't know for sure, I haven't played a good human Jiggs, but jab > D-smash hits until 80%. If they DI away it wont but it's a sneaky trick and it can score kills. If someone could check this as a viable kill tactic against floaties I would appreciate it :)
I wouldn't recommend it. Jab doesn't really have that much hitstun, and if they're close enough that they're still in range for the dsmash, then if your jab doesn't work you'll be in serious trouble.
If the jab hits and they Di into the ground it might be a good way to start a tech chase, though.

Top Bottom