• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Zelda.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
She could very easily be given a new Down B to replace her transformation, or have an older move (like Nayru's love) as Down B and a new move to replace it (light arrows perhaps)
I wonder why do people keep mentioning the light arrows? Isn't there any other appropiate moves for her?

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
i think zelda's down b will be the same as peach's.
except instead of turnips, she will throw ocarinas and harps/lyres

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I registered just to say this. For the record, there *are* players out there that played Sheik because of a like for the character in OoT, not just because she was top tier. I'm one of them.

Right now, there's honestly no telling whether or not Sheik will make a return in Brawl. Sure, Zelda's sporting her (very nice) TP look, but as others have pointed out, she's a returning character--large changes to her move set may not be in the works given that. The Sheikah symbol also shows up in TP in a few places (on wolf-Link's head, for instance) as well as on Zelda's cloak in the Shadow Realm, so as far as historical significance goes, the Sheikah still mean *something* to Hyrule, though TP doesn't focus on them, so we don't get that part of the story.

Given what information we have, I have to say it's essentially a coin-toss until we know more. Arguing that they can't give Sheik an art upgrade is kind of silly, though, as if that were the case, we wouldn't be able to have a Fox upgrade--he hasn't appeared on the Wii yet. Despite that, though, we got one.

If Sheik returns, I'll be happy. If she doesn't, I'll probably keep playing Zelda anyway, since I liked being able to play both characters in Brawl.
I really don't mind Sheik being in the game. I never did. But as she is, her fair is obnoxious and she can chain-grab almost any character from 0 to a high percent. I just hated how overpowered she was, and that people derided Zelda all the time. In fact, if you ever went into the Sheik/Zelda character specific forum, people would always flame you if you ever mentioned using Zelda over Sheik.

If she was in, she would need to be more dependent on Zelda. I would really like that, and it would make them more unique. But I also wouldn't mind Sheik being absent altogether.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I wonder why do people keep mentioning the light arrows? Isn't there any other appropiate moves for her?
Well, Zelda hasn't really been seen fighting a lot in the games. That's why, for Melee, they gave her the magic spells Link could use in OoT.
However, in the last two big games, Wind Waker and TP, the current Zelda helped Link in the final battle against Ganondorf... using Light Arrows.

They're pretty much the only attack she's ever been seen doing, unless you count her possessed form with the rapier and the light-stuff she paralyzes Ganon with in OoT.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
Well, Zelda hasn't really been seen fighting a lot in the games. That's why, for Melee, they gave her the magic spells Link could use in OoT.
However, in the last two big games, Wind Waker and TP, the current Zelda helped Link in the final battle against Ganondorf... using Light Arrows.

They're pretty much the only attack she's ever been seen doing, unless you count her possessed form with the rapier and the light-stuff she paralyzes Ganon with in OoT.
Well, how about C. Falcon? He had never appeared in a fighting game, and all of his moves were made up, and the result was awesome.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
You're happy. HAH. I sharted in my pants. As a clan leader, Zelda was my main, & now she will be again. Can't wait to kick all of your arses!

Fawriel

Smash Master
Well, how about C. Falcon? He had never appeared in a fighting game, and all of his moves were made up, and the result was awesome.
1. Why does everyone keep quoting Captain Falcon of all people as the epitome of characters who were never seen fighting? He's like an ex-military superman or something. I can't think of anyone with a more easily made-up moveset.
2. My point was that it's more plausible to first go for stuff that WAS already there, then to fill up the holes with made-up moves.
3. The result was awesome indeed, in the obsolete definition of the term.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer for Shiek to prefer, just because I think all non-clones should come back(and any clones get new movesets). They should nerf her some, though.

Copperpot

Smash Ace

I doubt they'll give her arrows of any sort. Link uses arrows, Pit shoots light arrows, and if Young Link makes a return, he could very well use arrows also. Face it, arrows are over-done, and I'd rather they limit her to her magic attacks than create yet another archer.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll... yeah, that is true.
It simply seems like the most plausible thing, and they can be made to work differently, I guess.

What other suggestions do you have?
Hmmm... maybe the new down-B could be that Triforce explosion thing from the boss battle instead of her Final Smash... or so. *shrugs*

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
They are magic arrows, and they seem to be a staple for Zelda now (to the point where she was the only one who used them in TP). We don't know if Y Link is returning yet let alone with arrows, and I'm sure the light arrow properties could be used to differentiate between Link's and Pit's (Pit's arrows seem to work more like a high speed Din's fire anyway).

It would also make sense to replace the transformation move with them as well, seeing as transforming into Sheik was the only thing taken from the games that Zelda actually did, and by replacing that with light arrows, you're replacing it with one of the things she actually did in the recent games.

Edit: I thought the Triforce explosion could be her Final Smash, and while that'd probably overdo it on triforce related FS', the Triforce is the most powerful thing in the Zelda universe, so it's kind of fitting the Triforce wielders use it (cept maybe Ganondorf, he shouldn't be using holy power)

Giga Master Hand

Smash Cadet
Woah, and to think this topic was made today... :p

On topic, I like Zelda's new look, and hope her moveset gets even slightly better. Even if they just port her old moves, I'd be fine with it if they buffed some of them up.

As for the Sheik debate, I think grim lizard was right, that most people use Sheik in Melee because of her being a top tier character which has quite many broken moves. And all that nonsense about "there'll be another broken character, then" is just that, since no game has perfectly balanced characters (imagine if the Melee dev team took six years to playtest in order to spot advanced techniques and balance the characters before releasing the game to the public...); having another broken character in Brawl doesn't justify Shiek being in, since it has no relation whatsoever.

Still, I'm not against Sheik being in Brawl. If Sakurai and his dev team could find a way to make Zelda/Sheik seem more like a single character, I'd be happy to see them both in; but currently, Zelda and Sheik are mostly played as characters with no relation to each other (since you can even hold A to transform into Sheik as soon as the match begins) which, to me, isn't what the Melee team had in mind.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
I'm just going to leave it to the professionals to determine what they should do. After all, they're the ones that know what they're doing.

And about the whole Tri-force being holy power thing, I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with being holy. Sacred, maybe, but holy?

To my understanding, it only enhances the abilities of the wielder, making them extremely strong.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
zeldas probably has her old moves. well,, most of them as you can see a dtilt and a dins fire pose in the shots

WHO?AreYou

Smash Journeyman
Crouching A move perhaps?
Anyways Zelda having the same moves she had in Melee doesn't automatically mean Sheik will be there. She could very easily be given a new Down B to replace her transformation, or have an older move (like Nayru's love) as Down B and a new move to replace it (light arrows perhaps)
Yeah that looks like Zelda's down tilt to me. I wish I could find a screenshot of it. Honestly, the screenshots we've seen make it seem like Zelda's moveset has barely changed. The first screen is just a standing pose. The third screen looks like the ending of Din's Fire, and the fourth looks like a D-Tilt. The only "new" move that could be inferred is the 2nd screen which shows maybe a new Fair or Nair.
Personally, I like Zelda's updated look. She looks very polished and elegant while still looking attractive and dangerous. Two thumbs up from me.
But just because they decided to use her most recent incarnation as the basis for the asthetic makeover doesn't mean Sheik will not be in Brawl. Granted, I am a Sheik main, so I would be kinda dissapointed if my favorite Sheikah were not included. There are a couple of things that I think will keep Sheik from being taken out completely. First of all, she is a popular character in the Zelda universe, despite being in only one game. I'm sure everyone who has played OoT remembers the cutscene where Sheik's true identity is revealed. It is one of the great moments in Zelda history, so why not celebrate it? I doubt that they would completely do away with the character. More likely, her moveset will be scrapped in favor of a more balanced one. Because, seriously, no one hates Sheik persay, they hate her unbalanced moveset. Change/Nerf her moves and the Sheik haters will dissapear.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I'm just going to leave it to the professionals to determine what they should do. After all, they're the ones that know what they're doing.

And about the whole Tri-force being holy power thing, I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with being holy. Sacred, maybe, but holy?

To my understanding, it only enhances the abilities of the wielder, making them extremely strong.
It's the power of the God's really, so I think Holy is a fairly accurate term.

The Triforce in it's complete state gives the person who touches it whatever they wish. While it's split into it's 3 pieces, it has been used by Zelda and Ganondorf to transform into Shiek and Ganon, though I don't think Link has ever used the triforce to grant himself power. It's hard to say exactly what power it gives to the user, it just seems like overall power in general.

Still, Link uses it pretty offensively in his FS, and in TP
while Zelda is possessed she uses a triforce shaped attack, which could be worked upon for her own FS.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
You're happy. HAH. I sharted in my pants. As a clan leader, Zelda was my main, & now she will be again. Can't wait to kick all of your arses!
Yeah. Well, let's have a $50 cat fight MM. My ZS Samus vs. your gimpy **** looking Zelda. Biatch.

I doubt they'll give her arrows of any sort. Link uses arrows, Pit shoots light arrows, and if Young Link makes a return, he could very well use arrows also. Face it, arrows are over-done, and I'd rather they limit her to her magic attacks than create yet another archer.
Archer character? It's not like these characters have their entire characters based around "archery." It's one move. Oh, Mario and Wario punch, overdone. Besides, her light arrows fit into the magical theme, IMO. I think it would be nice.

Woah, and to think this topic was made today... :p

On topic, I like Zelda's new look, and hope her moveset gets even slightly better. Even if they just port her old moves, I'd be fine with it if they buffed some of them up.
This is the main reason I wanted to post in here. To ***** about her character model. I think it looks atros...atroish... ugly as hell. First of all, I thought she was blonde. What happened there? Second of all, her face is way to hard. Her face needs to be much, MUCH softer. Only one screenshot protrays her face as soft, barely, and that's the bottom left one. I also think her character needs more vibrant colors. She has wonderful designs, but is bland and unattractive. And her breasts are like mediocore B-Cup breasts. They definitely need to be larger.

Overall, I'm dissappointed with this model and hope it changes for the better, as my friend so elegantly put it:
Kashakunaki: ******es about Zelda's look*
GoldenGlove: Well, Zelda knew ZS Samus had her beat in the hot department, so she went with the **** look instead.

Zelda looks awful.

Why wouldn't the Triforce be holy? Sacred, yes, and I would have to say holy, yes. It is, after all, the pieces left behind by the gods who made the world. I think that constitutes holy as well as sacred.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman

Wasn't the main story line that Zelda, Link, and Ganon each had a piece of the triforce, or used it? I know at least Zelda had one and Ganon had the other. I believe he has the triforce of Power, which is why he's so powerful, haven't played any recent Zeldas, so I may be wrong. But he at least did use it before, so it would plausable in Brawl.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
1. Why does everyone keep quoting Captain Falcon of all people as the epitome of characters who were never seen fighting? He's like an ex-military superman or something. I can't think of anyone with a more easily made-up moveset.
An ex-military superman? That would be the first time I've heard someone talk about Falcon like that. And I don't think it's right. :ohwell:

The result was awesome indeed, in the obsolete definition of the term.
WTF?! Since when the word "awesome", or its definition became obsolete? Tell me, I really don't know. :dizzy:

Wasn't the main story line that Zelda, Link, and Ganon each had a piece of the triforce, or used it? I know at least Zelda had one and Ganon had the other. I believe he has the triforce of Power, which is why he's so powerful, haven't played any recent Zeldas, so I may be wrong. But he at least did use it before, so it would plausable in Brawl.
It would be cool if Ganon and Zelda used their respective Triforces as Final Smashes. I can't even imagine what Ganon's Final Smash would be.

Fawriel

Smash Master
This is the main reason I wanted to post in here. To ***** about her character model. I think it looks atros...atroish... ugly as hell. First of all, I thought she was blonde. What happened there? Second of all, her face is way to hard. Her face needs to be much, MUCH softer. Only one screenshot protrays her face as soft, barely, and that's the bottom left one. I also think her character needs more vibrant colors. She has wonderful designs, but is bland and unattractive. And her breasts are like mediocore B-Cup breasts. They definitely need to be larger.

Overall, I'm dissappointed with this model and hope it changes for the better, as my friend so elegantly put it:
GoldenGlove: Well, Zelda knew ZS Samus had her beat in the hot department, so she went with the **** look instead.

Zelda looks awful.
... your post is "atrocious". Go away. Thank you.

An ex-military superman? That would be the first time I've heard someone talk about Falcon like that. And I don't think it's right. :ohwell:
Sorry, I'm a scarred Captain Falcon hater. No offense.
But I did hear he used to be in the army or something, right?

WTF?! Since when the word "awesome", or its definition became obsolete? Tell me, I really don't know. :dizzy:
Awesome used to mean the same as "awful", if I recall correctly.

Sir Jigsbee

Smash Cadet
WTF?! Since when the word "awesome", or its definition became obsolete? Tell me, I really don't know.
I think that he means that Captain Falcon is mildly rubbish.

Moving on topic, I personally think that the new Zelda design is good; It reflects well the Twilight Princess look (and thus, Shiek lovers, it seems likely that Shiek will not be making a comeback as she was not in TP) and I believe the rapier would not be necessary as it was not Zelda who wielded that weapon, but pseudo Ganondorf. And I agree with those that say that light arrows will be one of her weapons. Although that would make for 3 archers; so what, there's already 3 swordsman (with more on the way) and so it is not that big a deal.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
You're On!

Yeah. Well, let's have a $50 cat fight MM. My ZS Samus vs. your gimpy **** looking Zelda. Biatch.

Archer character? It's not like these characters have their entire characters based around "archery." It's one move. Oh, Mario and Wario punch, overdone. Besides, her light arrows fit into the magical theme, IMO. I think it would be nice.

Zelda looks awful.

Why wouldn't the Triforce be holy? Sacred, yes, and I would have to say holy, yes. It is, after all, the pieces left behind by the gods who made the world. I think that constitutes holy as well as sacred.

When you get a wii, I'll vs. you!
Join my clan!
http://www.s7.invisionfree.com/Omneox_Of_Smash
And i don't think nintendo changed zelda because they wanted to make you horny, biatch! lol jk

Raithe The Dreamer

Smash Rookie
Awful

Awesome used to mean the same as "awful", if I recall correctly.
Awesome did used to mean roughly the same thing as awful, but awful meant something along the lines of "awe inspiring," rather than something crappy, like we tend to use it today.

On topic, I'm not so sure what the uproar is about Zelda's hair in Brawl...it doesn't really look that different from TP, to me. It's a bit darker, I suppose, but it's not that big of a deal.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Highly HIGHLY doubt it, but I hope they change zeldas hair color to the correct dirty blonde from TP, I know its not important, but I focuss on the little details, like how samus visor aint transparent, and stuff...

Hey it can happen, they change foxs "blaster out at all times" to "melee-like fighting stances" fox...

zelda looks great, we can pretty much expect TP ganondorf with the sword of sages in brawl too, and zelda looks pissed off in that screen where shes attacking zamus...

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman

...****? What the hell are they teaching you kids in middle school nowadays? Look, I don't know what the hell your problem is, but go back to humping your life sized Hilton/Spears/whatever-else-POS poster you kids are all hung up on nowadays and stop trying so hard to show how stupid you are in public.

By the way. Try dictionary.com. It's a great place to figure out how to spell things if you're not an idiot.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
... your post is "atrocious". Go away. Thank you.
How's about **** you, good sir.

When you get a wii, I'll vs. you!
Join my clan!
http://www.s7.invisionfree.com/Omneox_Of_Smash
And i don't think nintendo changed zelda because they wanted to make you horny, biatch! lol jk
You best be just kidding you immature crap. And I already have a Wii, since launch. I waited 42 hours in the cold for one and was third in line. Yeah-yuhz. Though, Zelda's face looks very nice in your signature for some reason.

EDIT:
...****? What the hell are they teaching you kids in middle school nowadays? Look, I don't know what the hell your problem is, but go back to humping your life sized Hilton/Spears/whatever-else-POS poster you kids are all hung up on nowadays and stop trying so hard to show how stupid you are in public.
Funny you should say that because you sound infinitely more immature than I. Resulting to insulting someone on a personal level, someone whom you don't even know anything about. Zelda's not a flat-breasted child, and that wasn't even the basis of my statement. The thing I was most irritated about is her face. It just isn't soft enough.

So things can roll one of three ways:
A) We all stop insulting each other like kids, and debate like intelligent human beings.
B) You just don't say anything at all or
C) Someone gets hurt and goes to a mod and says I'm being a bully.

Look, it's my opinion, no need to insult me, no need for me to insult you. Let's grow up people. We're all intelligent human beings (I hope) here.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
I can't even imagine what Ganon's Final Smash would be.
Lol, what does Ganondorf use his triforce for? I remember him holding his hand up, the triforce started glowing, and he turned into Ganon (Aka beast form).

Awesome.

Zelda looks very pretty, I like her design in the game.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Oh Lord....Ganon's FS. Yep, I'm gonna have nightmares. As for Zelda's FS, I picture her holding all the enemies with her magic(like in OoT)ie:ganon, then call the sages. Then the screen would go black, and you all appear in the place where all the sages gather. The camera shows a close-up of each sages face, as 1 by 1 the shoot a continuous blast of their "element's" energy. Then, they all step aside, but they are still blasting, and look @ Zelda. Zelda's triforce glows as she strikes with Din, Nayru, & Faroe transparently appear behind her.
WAT'D THINK?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ok im bettin all the triforce users (Link, zelda, ganondorf) will have one thing in common: Theyll all trap there oponent between 2 triforces symbls, and then execute their diferent attacks...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Holy smokes, people...think outside the box.

Zelda has the triforce of wisdom and she can perform magic spells: This much is clear. They could easily revamp her goddess moves (Din, Nayru, and Farore) in some way, and they could easily revamp a light attack. She does use light arrows in the game, but that is because she is using Link's bow.

She doesn't necessarily have to use a bow in Brawl. It sees to me that the developers could just as easily have to execute some energy attack using the light energy. I'm not sure what this would look like, but there are so many ways to get creative other than "use a sword," "use a bow," "use a charge shot"...etc. etc. She could shoot an attack out the PK Flash (I really hope not) or Yoshi's Eggs (hmm...that could be interesting) or Pikachu's Thunderjolts or they could make up something entirely new. In any case, she could still use light energy.

On the topic of the final smash, I really would like to see the Triforce wielders all use the Triforce but execute their own abilities with it...that'd be pretty sweet.

Top Bottom