• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Zelda.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord

I think your onto something Luke, becuase the pose looks to be the same. But is there any fire in the above screen shot? For all we know the character was given a new magic projectile attack (perhaps a ball of light rather than a ball of fire) so it's too early to draw anything conclusive. Once we see more of Zelda's moveset, we'll have a better idea of Sheik's chances. But for now, the lack of any mention about the he/she/it/potatoe combined with Zelda's TP attire has me thinking that we've seen the last of this abomination.
true, we don't know if it is the same move, but I'd personally be surprised if it wasn't. Doesn't mean Sheik returns as they can easily think up of a new B move, but something tells me her exclusion is conclusive just yet.

Fawriel said:
I completely missed Luke's point. =O
How could you D8

Fawriel said:
I don't think that the presence of moves like Din's Fire indicates anything. After all, people change, people die, and so on, but Din, Nayru and Farore are the immortal goddesses who created the world in the Zelda games, and spells can remain the same ( or rather, similar ) as they're passed down through generations. Not to mention that if these abilities directly get their strength from the goddesses, there's no reason for them to change much.
True, the 3 Goddesses are constant (though I can't say I appreciated their names being smushed into the light spirits, I rather they be reffered to directly), and the moves go against the cannon anyway as Zelda never used them, but it seems to suggest Zelda reps all Zelda's and not just TP, so we'll see.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Pretty neat to see how she looks. Like Xeno had said above, the brown hair threw me off at first, but I've already adjusted to it. Also, I can see her retaining a small portion of her moveset (some of her attacks were actually good), while having a lot of it modified to be a bit more balanced.

I can't wait to see Ganondorf (with an original moveset, at that). He'll probably become my new main, being one of my favorite Nintendo characters.

Black/Light

Smash Master
This is one of the most amazing threads I've ever seen. I don't think I've seen a thread explode this quickly in such a short amount of time. It was created this morning, and already has over 100 posts (it has over 50 in the first few hours), and it has over 2000 visits in just a few hours. That's crazy.

I really have nothing valuable to add here, as I have not really read anything (other than seeing this Sheik will/will not return argument), I just thought it was interesting and that I'd comment on it.

Anyway...Ridley for Brawl!! (oops, wrong thread...:ohwell:)

EDIT: Actually, I do have something to add...I understand defending the fact that Sheik isn't confirmed to be out (not sure how that happens anyway), but I don't understand why people are being so adamant about it. Tons of people played Sheik, and tons of people played Marth. It wasn't because those people enjoyed Zelda's alter ego in OoT so much or that so many had remembered the old Famicon days of Fire Emblem. It was because those characters were overpowered and were each to pick up and instantly have an disproportional advantage.

People around here knock on Zelda (normal form) and Mewtwo all the time, claiming they are worthless and they hate them and their moves suck. I get tired of that because they are very interesting characters. They have movesets based almost solely upon mental/magic/whatever attacks rather than physical/melee attacks. They bring some diversity! And yet, hardly anyone played Zelda because her alter ego was so incredibly overpowered. Zelda was in the shadow of...herself. It was a travesty. Sheik's moves weren't interesting, they were pretty boring. (The same goes for Marth but on a much bigger scale.) I mean, there were some interesting aspects, but they weren't amazing by any means. But, when you compare Sheik's moveset to Zelda's...Zelda's blows it away, in terms of creativity and originality.

Most people just bypass the majority of the characters (indeed, the most interesting ones) because they aren't top tier. I think that is really a shame. So, Sheik or no Sheik, I really hope we have a lot more Zelda players this time around...
Wow, nice. QFT

the grim lizard

Smash Master

Actually, I was just going to bump my edit that I added since it was the last post on the page, and I could tell it was gonna get hidden, but...Black/Light did it from me. :)

Actually, I'll be useful...

Pretty neat to see how she looks. Like Xeno had said above, the brown hair threw me off at first, but I've already adjusted to it. Also, I can see her retaining a small portion of her moveset (some of her attacks were actually good), while having a lot of it modified to be a bit more balanced.

I can't wait to see Ganondorf (with an original moveset, at that). He'll probably become my new main, being one of my favorite Nintendo characters.
It's interesting that in TP, Link had very dark blond (even brownish) hair, but in Brawl it's quite blond, whereas Zelda has been blonde in all the recent games (including TP, I guess, I don't really remember), but she is completely brunette in Brawl. Just, interesting...

**Looks down at Fawriel's post**...I feel so loved...*sniff*

Fawriel

Smash Master
EDIT: Actually, I do have something to add...I understand defending the fact that Sheik isn't confirmed to be out (not sure how that happens anyway), but I don't understand why people are being so adamant about it. Tons of people played Sheik, and tons of people played Marth. It wasn't because those people enjoyed Zelda's alter ego in OoT so much or that so many had remembered the old Famicon days of Fire Emblem. It was because those characters were overpowered and were each to pick up and instantly have an disproportional advantage.

People around here knock on Zelda (normal form) and Mewtwo all the time, claiming they are worthless and they hate them and their moves suck. I get tired of that because they are very interesting characters. They have movesets based almost solely upon mental/magic/whatever attacks rather than physical/melee attacks. They bring some diversity! And yet, hardly anyone played Zelda because her alter ego was so incredibly overpowered. Zelda was in the shadow of...herself. It was a travesty. Sheik's moves weren't interesting, they were pretty boring. (The same goes for Marth but on a much bigger scale.) I mean, there were some interesting aspects, but they weren't amazing by any means. But, when you compare Sheik's moveset to Zelda's...Zelda's blows it away, in terms of creativity and originality.

Most people just bypass the majority of the characters (indeed, the most interesting ones) because they aren't top tier. I think that is really a shame. So, Sheik or no Sheik, I really hope we have a lot more Zelda players this time around...
Since this post was edited a long while after being posted and is at the end of the last page now, it might not be read by many, which is why I'm quoting it in order to agree.
Grim lizard depicted very well what I dislike about Sheik. Kudos!

HellsAngelLust

Smash Apprentice
That is the TP look so obviously sheik is NOT returning.
it is so easy for them to just up grade her duh :p so dont count her out just yet lol and i think they may keep some characters on the hush to keep people guessing i mean thats what i would do (reason make people want to see who on so they will buy it tell me if thats something smart or dumb to do) but anyway i still think shiek has a chance just have to wait and see

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
If Sheik isn't in the game, they can switch Nayru's love to down B and put something else in Neutral. Light arrows imo.
Yes!!!
This would be a great idea if Sheik is taken out.

I mean, I still would rather they just leave sheik so as to save room more other additions, but the more I read in the forums, the more I feel convinced that I would be okay if sheik isn't in the game.... it's kinda a coin-toss.

Just as long as they keep zelda classy, elegant, and fun, I'm down.

Jopaan

Smash Journeyman
Sheik's chances have been lowered by the appearance of TP Zelda, but not by too much. I'm sure that the developers know how much people loved Sheik, and have the thought of bringing her back to Smash in their heads.

Raithe The Dreamer

Smash Rookie
I registered just to say this. For the record, there *are* players out there that played Sheik because of a like for the character in OoT, not just because she was top tier. I'm one of them.

Right now, there's honestly no telling whether or not Sheik will make a return in Brawl. Sure, Zelda's sporting her (very nice) TP look, but as others have pointed out, she's a returning character--large changes to her move set may not be in the works given that. The Sheikah symbol also shows up in TP in a few places (on wolf-Link's head, for instance) as well as on Zelda's cloak in the Shadow Realm, so as far as historical significance goes, the Sheikah still mean *something* to Hyrule, though TP doesn't focus on them, so we don't get that part of the story.

Given what information we have, I have to say it's essentially a coin-toss until we know more. Arguing that they can't give Sheik an art upgrade is kind of silly, though, as if that were the case, we wouldn't be able to have a Fox upgrade--he hasn't appeared on the Wii yet. Despite that, though, we got one.

If Sheik returns, I'll be happy. If she doesn't, I'll probably keep playing Zelda anyway, since I liked being able to play both characters in Brawl.

HellsAngelLust

Smash Apprentice
I guess i am just not as much as a Zelda fan as most people are but i still want to have shiek in brawl because she made it more interesting to be able to switch back and forth how you saw fit. i also like how easy it is to play with shiek if you were not good with the speedy fox and didnt want to play with captain falcon or just wanted to play with a female form who dose not use pans and other items to blow or well on other charaters lol

I also loved the way shiek moves could flow into one another (with the right practice) and even tho zelda was passed over do to her alter ego she still was a bad a** character her self all of her attacks had a POW to them that made her opps fly

And I think that they made a kick @$$ combo when you swiched between them so shieks speed and Zelda Magical powers fanominal combonation so i think that with out sheik Zelda "MAY" be a little on the uneven side - my personal opion but like i just said we can on wait to see what happens-

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Where's the love, man?

Thank you, Sir Lizard, for saying that. That's been one of the things that completely boggles my mind. So many people are trashing characters like Zelda and Mewtwo because they aren't characters you can win with easily the first few times you use them. The way I see it, the only way to be effective with ANY character, despite tiers, is to practice with them until you can see their moves in your sleep. (an exaggeration, but you get my point)

Zelda and Mewtwo can be perfectly good characters, even though they are not high tier. NOBODY is perfect.

Do not take this as me trashing Sheik please, I don't want any responses like "OMG YOU NEED TO DIE, SHEIK HATER!" or "HIGH TIER > YOU nOOb". I don't HATE any character in Smash today. I either like them or are indifferent.

God forbid we should actually have to PRACTICE with any characters to be good with them! That would be stupid! XD

I kid, but seriously, I thought this thread was on Zelda, not Sheik. So because of that...

On topic: Zelda's new design is amazing IMHO. I just hope that Zelda herself gets buffed somehow, so in the case that Sheik does return, then Zelda won't be left behind again like in Melee.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Zelda is an ugly *****! And the description is hinting that she sucks! He r clothes are gaudy, and her face...oh her face. I thought it was my dead rabbit.

Micahc

Smash Ace
I could care less if Sheik appeared or not. There is no diffinative way of knowing so trying to prove she's in or out is pointless.I hope she's either out, or not that all present moving hit box she was before. When your brother four stocks your Link the first day he picks her up, you know something is wrong.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Sheik's chances have been lowered by the appearance of TP Zelda, but not by too much. I'm sure that the developers know how much people loved Sheik, and have the thought of bringing her back to Smash in their heads.
Yeah, I think they know alot of people liked Shiek. . . .because she was broken. So I think she will live on in characters like Zero and who every else gets Sheik looking moves.

"All original characters are returning so.. i mean sheik will be back.."

. . . When did they say that?

Zabutur

Smash Apprentice
Thank you, Sir Lizard, for saying that. That's been one of the things that completely boggles my mind. So many people are trashing characters like Zelda and Mewtwo because they aren't characters you can win with easily the first few times you use them. The way I see it, the only way to be effective with ANY character, despite tiers, is to practice with them until you can see their moves in your sleep. (an exaggeration, but you get my point)

Zelda and Mewtwo can be perfectly good characters, even though they are not high tier. NOBODY is perfect.

Do not take this as me trashing Sheik please, I don't want any responses like "OMG YOU NEED TO DIE, SHEIK HATER!" or "HIGH TIER > YOU nOOb". I don't HATE any character in Smash today. I either like them or are indifferent.

God forbid we should actually have to PRACTICE with any characters to be good with them! That would be stupid! XD

I kid, but seriously, I thought this thread was on Zelda, not Sheik. So because of that...

On topic: Zelda's new design is amazing IMHO. I just hope that Zelda herself gets buffed somehow, so in the case that Sheik does return, then Zelda won't be left behind again like in Melee.
worse than that is Dr. Mario. nubz are saying: "he's so stupid, he's just a clone and should be taken out of Brawl!!!!!oneone1112223111!!!threetwotwo!!oneone!!
Considering how he's 9th on the tier list (last I checked, dion't flame me if I'm wrong), AND higher up than Mario... why dump him?
oh, and I'ev seen people make good use of Zelda's moves, some that don't involve Shiek at all.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think they know alot of people liked Shiek. . . .because she was broken. So I think she will live on in characters like Zero and who every else gets Sheik looking moves.

"All original characters are returning so.. i mean sheik will be back.."

. . . When did they say that?
They said the opposite. Sakurai said somewhere that a couple characters will not be returning.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
To my knowledge they didn't. Where did you get this info Evel E.?

Also, to the people saying she doesn't use her sword and has the same moves as melee, have you seen more screens than the 4 on the smash website? Because to me, those don't confirm anything about those 2 things.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Sheik may be more powerful, but personally I find Zelda so much more fun to play as in Melee. Yes she isn't that powerful and has awkward moves, but you got to admit that playing as her is interesting. With Sheik its dash attack, dash attack, the occasional needle storm and another dash attack for good measure. It certainly wins matches, but for me its far from fun. Zelda falls into the same catagory as Mewtwo, and its a shame many people don't take her seriously. I would like her stats to be given a quick upgrade mind.
@Grim Lizard, your epic post on the other page is 100% correct

Micahc

Smash Ace
To my knowledge they didn't. Where did you get this info Evel E.?

Also, to the people saying she doesn't use her sword and has the same moves as melee, have you seen more screens than the 4 on the smash website? Because to me, those don't confirm anything about those 2 things.
I assumed her not having her sword or any thing to suggest a sword kinda confirmed it

slisenberg

Smash Cadet
Sheik won't be going, if she's going, because she's cheap.

She'll be going, if she's going, because she's an outdated character from nearly 10 years ago that appeared in one game and because zamus is seeming to take the role of transforming female character.

Not because she's a moving hitbox, though that needs to be nerfed if she somehow does return.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
Seems that Zelda has the same moveset that she had in melee. If that's the case, it means that her down-b will remain the same.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
HA! I would say QFT, but that wouldn't be appropraite, now, would it? XD

How about QFS: "Quoted for Sarcasm?" :laugh:

slisenberg

Smash Cadet
Seems that Zelda has the same moveset that she had in melee. If that's the case, it means that her down-b will remain the same.
I'm glad you con see 17 moves out of four screenshots.. Would you like to show me where exactly zelda's moves are in those screens? How do you know the moveset is the same? I see one hint towards dins fire, though even that is a shaky comparison. There are a couple ground attacks as well.. This somehow translates into every move being the same?

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad you con see 17 moves out of four screenshots.. Would you like to show me where exactly zelda's moves are in those screens? How do you know the moveset is the same? I see one hint towards dins fire, though even that is a shaky comparison. There are a couple ground attacks as well.. This somehow translates into every move being the same?
Well I haven't seen all of her 17 moves, but I've seen her neutral-a, forward-b and d-tilt. ;)

Besides, judging from the past trailers, mario, link, pikachu, kirby, etc. have almost the exact same movesets they had in melee, with some minor changes.

That could mean most veteran fighters will have their movesets almost unchanged, as many fans would want it that way.

Onifrio

Smash Journeyman
TWILIGHT PRINCESS SPOILER:

Forgive me if this has been posted in this thread already but it would be awesome if her down B was changed so she transforms into her posessed form from TP rather than shiek.

Micahc

Smash Ace

And here's the subtle proof that Zelda's moveset has changed. If you can show me Melee picture with that pose, you win a cookie.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
worse than that is Dr. Mario. nubz are saying: "he's so stupid, he's just a clone and should be taken out of Brawl!!!!!oneone1112223111!!!threetwotwo!!oneone!!
Considering how he's 9th on the tier list (last I checked, dion't flame me if I'm wrong), AND higher up than Mario... why dump him?
oh, and I'ev seen people make good use of Zelda's moves, some that don't involve Shiek at all.
They're probably going to dump him, because the original Mario is the most recognizable (iconic) version of the character. Why leave a higher-tier version of a character when you have the opportunity to go back and fix what was wrong with the normal character to begin with?

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
They could easily replace the vB you know, it'd probably even take less effort than transferring Sheik into Brawl. Fact is, until we see any hard evidence otherwise, we can't say if Sheik is or isn't returning (and even if Zelda does get a new B move, there's still a chance Sheik could be a separate character).

Regardless, let's get off the subject of Sheik and focus more on Hyrules beautiful princess.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Like Fox before her, it's nice to see another character has been confirmed, but still, we weren't expecting otherwise.

The REAL question is: will Sheik return along with her?

Copperpot

Smash Ace
I would have expected yoshi or DK to get approved before zelda.
If by 'approved' you mean that they've been implemented into the game, they most likely already are.

If by 'approved' you mean announced to the public, they're probably not following any specific pattern in releasing characters. I'm guessing that the next character is probably going to be a newcomer, and it will end up being announced at E3.

Onifrio

Smash Journeyman
^^I highly doubt it.

Also its gonna be funny if shiek is removed. OMG noobs are gonna be pissed.

And by noobs i dont mean everyone who uses shiek but most casual players do.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice

And here's the subtle proof that Zelda's moveset has changed. If you can show me Melee picture with that pose, you win a cookie.
Crouching A move perhaps?
Anyways Zelda having the same moves she had in Melee doesn't automatically mean Sheik will be there. She could very easily be given a new Down B to replace her transformation, or have an older move (like Nayru's love) as Down B and a new move to replace it (light arrows perhaps)

Top Bottom