• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Zelda.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
. . Who says he has to give that up?

In TP he was still brutel and used dark Magic with blows that would knock you half way across the field. He just had sword skills that made Link look like a noob (he looked VERY learned in the skills of the sword and showed the smarts of someone who lived for 100s of years).

I mainly feel that the sword would be the best why to insure that he is treated as he should be (He is WAY too godd*** important to be tossed in as a clone based on body shape).
Well said, plus they can not only add some sword skills onto his move set but just like roy they can enchant his sword with some form of Dark Magic.

though I do hate marth and his wack sword o death.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Shiek = New character design... Now, you think the artist of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess would take his time to make a couple sketches for Shiek only just so she can appear in the game... That's seem like asking a bit too much...

Zelda would probably be her on character, changing her moveset to all them cool looking bloom effect such like light arrows and that huge triforce symbol attack... Though, if Zelda is by herself with the same moveset from Melee (with an additional moveset for the missing transformation), less people would choose her... But I can't see her all that bad since her Fairs and Bairs are deadly like hell...

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
sheik may still be in the game, afterall when they showed samus, her page said nothing about zero suit samus, so they mightbe doing the same with sheik and not realse her till later.

Sorry if someone said this already

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
[ I beleive that Sakurai wants to make a roster of characters that are within the scope of current, updated, relevant nintendo/3rd party's.
Which is why Pit's in it?

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Shiek = New character design... Now, you think the artist of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess would take his time to make a couple sketches for Shiek only just so she can appear in the game... That's seem like asking a bit too much...
Not to much really all they have to do is take the Melee Sheik and add a few items to hang off her waist and give her puppy eyes with no facial expressions.

or some more detail just like they did Zelda.

J4ke

Smash Cadet
Ahh, Pit's inclusion, however not current is very relevant to the nintendo franchise, and an iconic, classic fighter who fits in well.

I meant my previous comment to be an exception to a character like Pit or in melee's case a character like Game and Watch.

Me14k

Smash Lord
If sheik is going to be in the game we will find out on tomorrow's update for sure.

Im thinking that zelda is going to be more ground based in this game, we dont see her doing any air attacks. (thank god no more fair and bair)

CartooN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CartoooN
Awesome news, shes looking even hawter than ever with her slightly different look.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
It'd be unique if Ganon could use sword and magic since he does in the game. It doesn't have to be such extremes like saying Ganon's moveset is limited to either a sword or magic. It'd be hott if it was a combination.

EDIT - I realize that I didn't contribute to the thread so... Zelda looks fiiiiiiine.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord

Zelda would probably be her on character, changing her moveset to all them cool looking bloom effect such like light arrows and that huge triforce symbol attack... Though, if Zelda is by herself with the same moveset from Melee (with an additional moveset for the missing transformation), less people would choose her... But I can't see her all that bad since her Fairs and Bairs are deadly like hell...
Cuz, you know...they totally didn't redesign Pit or the Ice Climbers by themselves.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm actually rather disapointed to see Zelda without her rapier. I was really looking forward to a totally revamped Zelda with a rapier and the Light Arrows. Bah... Atleast there's no news on Sheik yet which pleases me alot since it's now pretty much confirmed she'll not be back.

EDIT: Ohh yeah, and I find it almost shameful that a character as Zelda is confirmed before the REAL veterans as Donkey Kong and Yoshi. Zelda is the second character from her franchise confirmed while we've heard nothing yet about the DKC, Earthbound and F Zero franchises. Even though I like that they finally revealed something NEW I'd much rather saw DK instead.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
FINALLY we get an update revealing a previously non-confimred character.

I really like Zelda's new form. Zelda's old dress was so pink it made one's eye's bleed.

It's also worth noting that this Zelda is taken straight from Twilight Princess (aside from the hair colour, which seems to be Sakurai atking a bit of artistic licence) which means, ladies and gentlemen, that it is very, very unlikely that Sheik will make a return appearance. Sheik was an ability specific to OoT Zelda and having her as a transformation to TP Zelda would be awkward and confusing.

While I'm not parading for Sheik's return, unfortunately for all the other naysayers, TP Zelda =/= no Sheik. If you look at the 3rd screenshot, you'll probably realize it looks familiar. That's because the pose is from Din's fire. If you've played TP, you'll know that the move isn't in the game (or Din for that matter, except for being referenced by Eldin). So if Zelda can use a move from Oot, it's still possible that she can transform into her OoT incarnations alter ego.

Granted, you could argue that using a spell froma different game is a lot more acceptable than transforming into a character from another game, and could also say that even OoT Zelda didn't ever use Din fire, but I think it's fairly safe to say that the arguement that TP Zelda means that Sheik is gone holds much less water than people used to think.

I think your onto something Luke, becuase the pose looks to be the same. But is there any fire in the above screen shot? For all we know the character was given a new magic projectile attack (perhaps a ball of light rather than a ball of fire) so it's too early to draw anything conclusive. Once we see more of Zelda's moveset, we'll have a better idea of Sheik's chances. But for now, the lack of any mention about the he/she/it/potatoe combined with Zelda's TP attire has me thinking that we've seen the last of this abomination.

I love nonsensical logic. Let me try.

Shiek has to be in the game. Why? Because I love how over powering sheik was as a character in melee. The idea that I'll actually have to use zelda is just silly.

Heh, I'm funny.
But in all seriousness, no one is taking away your favorite character. You can play shiek when ever you want... in melee. Even if sheik does make it to brawl it isn't for any other reason than the creators want her there.
In the end Brawl is a new game; we'll have to deal with the changes.
I couldn't agree more, sir. Well said.

Yay! Zelda is confirmed! Let's talk about SHEIK!

I'm usually a really level-headed person, but that is just one of those things that really go on my nerves.

Fortunately, everything's been said already.
TP Zelda has not shown signs of a bondage fetish, thus she will not decide to suddenly dress up in LEATHER-LIKE MATERIALS and *****-slap people,
and as awesome as OoT was, it got enough representation in both Smash games, and if they DID consider giving it even more rep in Brawl, said rep will NOT be incorporated in some relatively unimportant DISGUISE of a main character.

Kaydone.

Anyway, Zelda will be awesome.
All they have to do is make her B moves actually, you know, do stuff, give her a useful new one to make up for the lack of down-b... and for god's sake, don't make her rely on two darn attacks. If the up and forward smashes weren't so easily escaped from, that would be quite an improvement already.
On a non-Sheik related topic, has anyone given any thought as to what Zelda's B moves will be? My guess:

B- Din's Fire-esque light magic attack.

Over B- Zelda whips out her rapier and slashs with it, much like Kirby's Hammer attack.

Up B- Magical teloport. (What? What were you expecting?)

Down B- Self destruct. (Sweet, sweet justice...)

kaid

Smash Master
I hate shiek, with a burning, firey passion. I'd love to go off on a full page diatribe about how much I hate her, but you've seen al that before, so I don't need to repeat it.

With that said...

All the returning characters shown so far have been given "Clone" movesets of their Melee counterparts. Just like any new clones, they take the existing moveset, tweak some of the effects and stats, and put it on a different character model. As mentiond in various "Why clones are important" threads, this saves developement time and allows them to work on more newcomers.

The most extreme change we've seen was the implication that the Shine now has a startup animation, reaching down to the shine generator, implying that this animation is going to be more than 1 frame long, like the Shine was in Melee.

Therefore, I do not see them making a new vB for Zelda, when they could just cut the transformation time, add some invuln frames, and nerf Shiek's kill moves. Zelda/Shiek was intended (or so her trophy tells us) to be both played in the same match, Shiek for damage, Zelda for kills. It is my prediction that they will make thisa viable stratagy for Brawl.

Akuryou

Smash Cadet
Movesets aside, I'm absolutely blown away by the model, very impressive.

psyt

Smash Journeyman
wow, sakuria straight revealed an uknown character yet seen in any trailor, yes its a returning character of huge popularity, but still, i figured we wouldnt get any real new characters till e3,

especially considering he has to reveal metaknight, snake, and marios down b :p

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I was very enthused when I saw her, because I really like Zelda, albeit I didn't really use her, mostly because I could never get that good with her.
Hopefully, what Sakurai means by the whole feet&hands shtick is that zelda will have more moves like the very, very, very few ones she had in Melee, the ones that actually did stuff and kicked ***.
Although her hand movement in that third pic was disappointing, hinting at the return of Din's Fire, although people have already said not assume, but we all have to admit that it does give a slight hint to the possibility of it.

I would love to pick her up as a character should she be much less awkward in Brawl.
GO ZELDA!

EDIT: Btw, I think Cel-Link has much less chance now, but I'm still keeping my sig, just because I will hold faith til the day of the release.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Actually, the majority of Zelda's moves had glowy hands and feet, the exceptions being her d-smash, d-tilt, d-air, dash attack and u-air.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
wow, sakuria straight revealed an uknown character yet seen in any trailor, yes its a returning character of huge popularity, but still, i figured we wouldnt get any real new characters till e3,

especially considering he has to reveal metaknight, snake, and marios down b :p
Considering the revelations are nothing but the character themselves, it's not as important as revealing a downloadable winzip of her entire moveset with pictures associated. =)

Her moves are more important, duly because she was semi-expected to return in tp style anyway, it was moreorless the moves we've been waiting on.

I'm actually rather disapointed to see Zelda without her rapier. I was really looking forward to a totally revamped Zelda with a rapier and the Light Arrows. Bah... Atleast there's no news on Sheik yet which pleases me alot since it's now pretty much confirmed she'll not be back.
You couldn't be any more wrong.

Just because they didn't confirm any transformation and she has a TP look doesn't mean anything but a change in wardrobe.Her changes are only aesthetic from what I can see.

I really wish all of these noobs would just shut the hell up with daying"she's gone because of the TP look" crap.Next thing you know people are going to be *****ing about the next broken characters in brawl.It's never going to end.

Even if Shiek is gone,it isn't going to lessen your problems,for there will always be a higher tier character.Man...I need to calm down.

@ Kaid: The whole shine nerfing theory is unsupported.It's only based off a few vauge words that aren't even direct translations from the japanese site(which is impossible by the way because of the japanese grammatical system).By adding start up animation to the shine you would destroy the shines ability to reflect instantaneously,thus making it a wasted move.I for one believe that the shine will still have it's one frame activation because it was an element in the game that acted as a suprise.Just like Shiek,it is an element of his gameplay.

The shine may also remain Jump cancelable if it is still treated as a second shield,which is the main reason you can jump out of it when projectiles don't come in contact with it(And it's ability to break).There is also a high chance that it'll still inflict damage because it was intentionally implemented.The shine generator is simply an aesthetic touch from what I have seen.

santi256

Smash Rookie
Maybe the Down-B could cause her to take out her sword, and change all of her attacks (like a sort of transformation)

....or at least that'd be interesting....

I

i8waffles612

She should have those arrows she shot at the end of the game.

Speaking of Zelda,

in TP, when you beat the game, does it go back to the part where you still have to save her?

Because thats what happened to me..

Fawriel

Smash Master
I completely missed Luke's point. =O

I don't think that the presence of moves like Din's Fire indicates anything. After all, people change, people die, and so on, but Din, Nayru and Farore are the immortal goddesses who created the world in the Zelda games, and spells can remain the same ( or rather, similar ) as they're passed down through generations. Not to mention that if these abilities directly get their strength from the goddesses, there's no reason for them to change much.

Man, I really need to type faster.

PS: You guys are really starting to make me think Sheik might return.
Somebody hold me.

J4ke

Smash Cadet
Why do you have to call everyone noobs when people who speculate something different from what you speculate. Even when other's speculations could very well be accurate. Yes, it is the internet. However, something like acceptance may be weighted moreso than just another 'omg n00bs'

IF shiek will return, it wont be zelda turning into her, in my opinion it would, perhaps, make more sense to make shiek a stand-alone character to differentiate between Zelda in nintendo's eyes now, and the testament that shiek was to fans of OoT.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Shiek will be returning, unfortunately.

. . . Though I hardly play as her, she's a fun charactor to mess around with. Plus, whoever I'm playing can bathe in the satisfaction they beat a Shiek ;P . (Actually, I juggle between Zelda and Shiek when I use her, so, yeah.)

But, I honestly don't think ANYBODY saw THAT one coming. At least this soon.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
This "where is her sword" stuff is so dumb...

She barely used her sword in TP... (all she did was drop it XD )

And her moves seem like the same ones in melee... which means Sheik is probable...
I guess we will find out in the "Zelda's Special Moves" post...

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
She kinda used it when Ganon took over her body, but I don't know if that really could count. I personally feel she doesn't need a sword.

slisenberg

Smash Cadet
Haha, Sheik isn't returning for a variety of reasons.

The common, valid one is that she was a one-time character from one game in a huge series. If you want to include Petey Pirahna in brawl, go for it! He's just as important to nintendo as sheik is. Sheik just isn't relevant anymore.. She's a 9 year old character who hasn't been reused since melee. Characters like the ice climbers and pit make it in because they are nostalgia characters from old series. People like remembering things like that.. at least these characters were the main characters in their games.

Zelda in TP form actually holds a lot of water as an argument. Sakurai has pretty much made it clear that almost all things Zelda are coming from the most recent games. OOT just isn't RECENT. Ganon will be in tp form, and almost certainly, if young link comes back, he will be wind waker YL. They are keeping it recent. Sheik isn't recent.

Very few of you actually want the CHARACTER Sheik in. Most of you want your main in. The permanent hitbox that can be perfected with the mashing of the a button. I'm not saying sheik doesn't take skill; every character takes some skill. But sheik is by far the most broken character in the game. Sakurai intended that Zelda and Sheik be switched between. Sheik was to rack on damage, Zelda was to finish. That didn't happen. Sheik had the ability to rack on damage and finish with ease. Every tilt, every aerial, every grab leads right into another. You want the HITBOX back, not the character. And even if that's your plea, it seems to have been answered.

Zamus is totally the new sheik. A main female character transforming into a different mode. Sheik and Zamus have a similar body type. Zamus's tilts look a lot like Sheik's. It seems that, despite the brokenness that is Sheik, Sakurai returned with a character much like it.

Those of you who do like Sheik as a character, not as a moveset, have a more valid plea. But unfortunately, most of the people want Sheik out as a character and as a moveset. You have your fanbase, of course, but it's no different than that of paper mario or laughing dog. Smaller characters in franchises just probably won't happen.

Yeah. That's my 2 cents.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . .We know 2 basic attacks and now we assume her move-set stays the same from melee?

IDK about you all but I wouldn't think that 2 basic attacks = everything staying the same.

And I still think she will do a sword attack and toss on her cloak for her Bv making her become "Protector Zelda". (A transformation where she becomes a sword user with the TP cloak)

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
They could always switch it so sheik is the crappy one and zelda is the horribly broken combo diva...

Zelda is a pretty boring character without sheik...

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
ugh....anyone that says sheik is out because zelda is TP is really dumb....

you can't say that so certainly!

sheik has a great move set---personally i would like to see sheik be her own charecter

and lets complete zelda--
but either way is fine---

but i don't think sheik is going just because the moveset is so unique.

and just because a charecter evolves into a new form doesn't mean they won't retain old moves

when was the last time mario used a fireball in his games?

we are still using that move aren;t we?

sheik has value in smash someplace and i hope the developers realize it and keep her---

we should only be adding to smash....not taking away

--

btw i think zelda looks beautiful---a little jarring at first when i saw the brown hair---but i'm already used to it

now i;m just worried about peaches new design

zelda and zamus are looking HOT---so if that's any indication peach should look great too

i wanna see my girls looking fine

:)

slisenberg

Smash Cadet
Xenogears, do you mean sheik's moveset is unique because every move comes out laser quick and sets up into another, or because the moves are actually that unique?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
This is one of the most amazing threads I've ever seen. I don't think I've seen a thread explode this quickly in such a short amount of time. It was created this morning, and already has over 100 posts (it has over 50 in the first few hours), and it has over 2000 visits in just a few hours. That's crazy.

I really have nothing valuable to add here, as I have not really read anything (other than seeing this Sheik will/will not return argument), I just thought it was interesting and that I'd comment on it.

Anyway...Ridley for Brawl!! (oops, wrong thread...:ohwell:)

EDIT: Actually, I do have something to add...I understand defending the fact that Sheik isn't confirmed to be out (not sure how that happens anyway), but I don't understand why people are being so adamant about it. Tons of people played Sheik, and tons of people played Marth. It wasn't because those people enjoyed Zelda's alter ego in OoT so much or that so many had remembered the old Famicon days of Fire Emblem. It was because those characters were overpowered and were each to pick up and instantly have an disproportional advantage.

People around here knock on Zelda (normal form) and Mewtwo all the time, claiming they are worthless and they hate them and their moves suck. I get tired of that because they are very interesting characters. They have movesets based almost solely upon mental/magic/whatever attacks rather than physical/melee attacks. They bring some diversity! And yet, hardly anyone played Zelda because her alter ego was so incredibly overpowered. Zelda was in the shadow of...herself. It was a travesty. Sheik's moves weren't interesting, they were pretty boring. (The same goes for Marth but on a much bigger scale.) I mean, there were some interesting aspects, but they weren't amazing by any means. But, when you compare Sheik's moveset to Zelda's...Zelda's blows it away, in terms of creativity and originality.

Most people just bypass the majority of the characters (indeed, the most interesting ones) because they aren't top tier. I think that is really a shame. So, Sheik or no Sheik, I really hope we have a lot more Zelda players this time around...

Top Bottom