• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Zelda.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
New character confirmed for Brawl: Zelda.

obviously, I was expecting this....either way, I'm not sure I like her new design.

Anyway, I'm just the messenger, Zelda isn't really my character to discuss.

Cygnus X-1

Smash Rookie
Ya i just saw zelda like 3 minuts ago too...saw her picture and then looked at characters list. It took 3 refresh pages for her face to show up in the actual character list

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
here's to hoping zelda is COMPLETELY revamped with nice attacks and an effective way to play as her doesn't involve spamming fair and bair.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Still think that if they were keeping Sheik they'd've kept her old move-set. Not that they can't, but Zamus's moves look a lot like Sheik's. Maybe turning to Sheik is her special?

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Is this the Twilight Princess look? If it´s not, Sheik will most probably return...

D

Deleted member

I like the Zelda avatar on these boards, I think she should look more like that. It would have been cool if she fought with a sword but alas.
And that's what's got me thinking. She used a sword in game, yes, so why not in Brawl?

Demikeaton

Smash Rookie
[edit] yea i kinda looked at the first post and replied.. but then i went afk so when i got back a whole bunch of people posted b4 me so yea...sry bout that)

Yes, Sheik WILL be in this game, even though a couple of people have already said so.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html
i just checked this out about 10 minutes ago and they updated the site. so take a look
+ there's the screenshots from "Fox P Mcloud"...obviously.

DarkEdge

Smash Rookie
Gah! Sheik could just get a new look as well >.> I find the whole (Zelda = TP look = no Sheik) argument absurd.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
hopefully Zelda isnt as sucky as she was in melee that way we wont ever have to relive seeing sheik spam all over brawl. and lol no man form anymore.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
i think they should redo her hair... O_O haha... maybe her eyes too...
non-offensively, she got a total race change.

i'm loving the dress though.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
so far it looks like she retained some of the same moves. as have every character shown. as long as the make her magic stronger she will be fine. I think in Melee they missed out on a good chance to make Zelda actually be a contender. let her be the magic based character in the game this time.

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
ok, well this is better, now they just need to reveal some more newcomers, characters that we weren't already expecting to come back. Also, I think this essentially confirms that ganondorf is going to be back as well, as you really can't have link and zelda, without gannondorf. its only a matter of time.

DarkEdge

Smash Rookie
Sheik was a one time character from one game in a huge series. It would be like throwing Medli from Wind Waker in Brawl.
Valid point. But then again, that makes me think about why they put Sheik in SSBM in the first place xD

Berk

Smash Rookie
I reckon there's a good chance that Zelda will be able to transform into Sheik.

By all rights, the list of "moves Zelda can do" isn't terribly set, as they are all things that would be made up, considering that we never see her fight a terrible much. Adding a Sheik transformation fills up one of these move slots.

I strongly disagree with the argument that the "TP Design" means no Sheik. I wouldn't call this Zelda the "TP design", it's just a version with better graphics. The Zelda in TP is *how* Zelda looks, just in older games, you couldn't have Zelda looking as detailed. And sure, any features that have changed aren't really completely altering reality to the point that she can't be the same Zelda that could become Sheik.

And, in terms of the argument of Sheik being a 'one-time character', there are plently of characters who had few games they turned up in. From Brawl, you've got characters like the Ice-Climbers, who never turned up much. And in Brawl you've got Pit, who turned up in two games.

Either way, I hope Sheik comes back. ^^

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Sheik wasn't in Twilight Princesst all. Shiek hasn't been in a Zelda game since 1998. People who want Sheik make me angry. Just because.

Zelda looks freakin' beautiful now. Fantastic job on the model. Quite sexy.

Demikeaton

Smash Rookie
Perhaps they haven't showed Sheik yet because it's part of the anticipation they want us to feel.
Ibelieve Zelda will be able to transform because sheik made up basically most of what Zelda was in melee, and if they take sheik out many people will complain.
Also it is my belief that not many or none of the characters techniques are changing,
You'll probly find that Sheik is in the game, i am going to bet.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
The Zelda characters always seem like they've been tied really heavily to their chosen incarnations for Smash.
It has been established by Aonuma that each Link and each Zelda are new people. Descendants of the last, or what have you. I'd have to think these are particularly the TP versions of the characters, seeing as they could go much more 'representational' with the characters and use amalgamated designs that would get the general concept across instead of using what seem to be 'period versions' of each character. So...probably no Sheik, I'd think anyway. Seems like a bigger logical jump than Sakurai'd make.

But then, it's a possibility.

Her not using her rapier seems like it could mean a few things, though. For one, she could be keeping her old Zelda-half moveset, with it just spiced up to make her a functional, stand-alone character. It could also hint that maybe he avoided giving her a sword because there's already going to be a large number of sword users here...?

(Oh, and hey guys, I think it's worth noting that Sheik was still pretty popular for a while after OoT. I mean, she was a ninja for godsake. ;) It's not like Sakurai just picked a side character for the heck of it. He got the three points of the tri-force and expounded on one of the more interesting characters in it.)

Devastlian

Smash Lord
By all rights, the list of "moves Zelda can do" isn't terribly set, as they are all things that would be made up, considering that we never see her fight a terrible much. Adding a Sheik transformation fills up one of these move slots.
So instead of BSing 17 moves they only BS 16? And that one move contains a seperate, nearly stand alone character. I don't think that's much of a creative trade off, really.

I strongly disagree with the argument that the "TP Design" means no Sheik. I wouldn't call this Zelda the "TP design", it's just a version with better graphics. The Zelda in TP is *how* Zelda looks, just in older games, you couldn't have Zelda looking as detailed. And sure, any features that have changed aren't really completely altering reality to the point that she can't be the same Zelda that could become Sheik.
It isn't just the detail that separates them, though. OoT Zelda has a different dress design and a different hair color and style. Bumping up the detail of the old school Zelda design wouldn't make her look identical to the TP one; she'd look like that Zelda just with more detail.

And they're two different people regardless. The OoT Zelda is the TP Zelda's ancestor. Also, Sheik never even existed in the branch of the timeline that TP is in.

And, in terms of the argument of Sheik being a 'one-time character', there are plently of characters who had few games they turned up in. From Brawl, you've got characters like the Ice-Climbers, who never turned up much. And in Brawl you've got Pit, who turned up in two games.
These characters are the sole representatives and main characters of their series, though. They don't have alter egoes that only appeared in one of their games, either.

Faith

Smash Apprentice
Well the last time we talked about Zelda and Sheik most people were flaming against us about Zelda not being able to make it in BRAWL because her role in TP was to little. So I'm not going to even bother and discuss the chances of Sheik because it's a possibility and frankly Nintendo can care less what you think is out dated because they can put it in anyways.

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
ok, well this is better, now they just need to reveal some more newcomers, characters that we weren't already expecting to come back. Also, I think this essentially confirms that ganondorf is going to be back as well, as you really can't have link and zelda, without gannondorf. its only a matter of time.
aahahah I see what you did there

Gewaldro

Smash Rookie
I'm really sorry guys, but Zelda's hair looks just ****. And I mean like real ****! In TP she did have a few blonde accents, but here it's completely brown.
If Shiek isn't included I'm gonna become crazy.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
I'm really sorry guys, but Zelda's hair looks just ****. And I mean like real ****! In TP she did have a few blonde accents, but here it's completely brown.
If Shiek isn't included I'm gonna become crazy.
A dictionary full of ways to say, 'I don't like brown hair,' or 'I don't like the way she looks now,' and that's the best you can come up with, huh? :laugh:

I reckon there's a good chance that Zelda will be able to transform into Sheik.

Either way, I hope Sheik comes back. ^^
Quoted for truth and justice.

If this were the case,Link wouldn't have the Spin attack,for that really wasn't implemented into TP.Only a single spin slash.

Just because a character has looks based on his/her recent series doesn't ensure that they will be diffirent.This is the same case with Shiek as she didn't have needles and a chain in OoT.

Pit never had twin blades that shoot energy enduced Bows,but they gave them to him anyway.His anime look was also introduced despite his actual looks.

Smash Bros. characters don't base themselves off of the most recent series,it's just your favorite Nintendo characters competing against eachother for no definate reason.Let's keep it that way and not strip the imagination of smash bros.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Most people want Sheik for her moves, not for her character. So wouldn't it make a lot of sense giving Sheiks moves to another character instead. Sheik isn't relevent to Zelda anymore, the last and only time Sheik appeared in a Zelda was OOT...in 1998...9 years ago.

Sheik was thrown into melee a) as a tribute to OOT, the best game on the N64, and b) as an experiment to see whether mid game transformations between characters worked or not. Given how most people play as either Sheik or Zelda, and not by swapping between the two as originally intended, I'd say that experiment proved to be a failure.

The whole 'Zelda is based on her TP design' argument is very valid indeed. The Zelda we see in Brawl is a completely different Zelda to the one in Melee. This Zelda didn't transform into Sheik at all in TP, so in a historical context this Zelda transforming into Sheik would make no sense. And Sakurai does take Nintendo history very seriously, and will probably not throw in characters that make no sense just for the sheer heck of it. People would just want Zelda to transform so that their one of their favourite Melee characters would be preserved, not because they think Sheik is a relevent and important character.

DaAznSaN

Smash Rookie
When I saw the new Zelda screens, my first thought wasn't that she'll be a whole new character, or will instantly lose her ability to transform to Sheik because she is based on the Twilight Princess design. I merely thought of it as an aesthetic change.

And that very well could be the case--Zelda just has an aesthetic change, not a complete moveset makeover. Yes, her attacks could use some retuning, but I'm not expect her to wield a rapier and become a swordfighter just because she held one during a very brief scene and in a fight where she was possessed. She was a magic-user in Melee and if her attacks get a nice buff while being easier to use, that could make a potential winner.

As for the census to not include Sheik because of how strong she was in Melee, I have to agree that she could use retuning to make her more balanced, but that doesn't mean she should be barred from returning to Brawl, although I don't see that happening if Zelda really can't transform.

Top Bottom