• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Zelda.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I love nonsensical logic. Let me try.

Shiek has to be in the game. Why? Because I love how over powering sheik was as a character in melee. The idea that I'll actually have to use zelda is just silly.

Heh, I'm funny.
But in all seriousness, no one is taking away your favorite character. You can play shiek when ever you want... in melee. Even if sheik does make it to brawl it isn't for any other reason than the creators want her there.
In the end Brawl is a new game; we'll have to deal with the changes.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Quoted for truth and justice.

If this were the case,Link wouldn't have the Spin attack,for that really wasn't implemented into TP.Only a single spin slash.

Just because a character has looks based on his/her recent series doesn't ensure that they will be diffirent.This is the same case with Shiek as she didn't have needles and a chain in OoT.

Pit never had twin blades that shoot energy enduced Bows,but they gave them to him anyway.His anime look was also introduced despite his actual looks.

Smash Bros. characters don't base themselves off of the most recent series,it's just your favorite Nintendo characters competing against eachother for no definate reason.Let's keep it that way and not strip the imagination of smash bros.
Having TP Zelda transform into a non-existant character (TP-era Sheik,) seems like a much bigger logical leap than Link's signature spin move not appearing exactly the way it does in TP. Or, say, that Ness learned PK Fire and stuff from Paula. ...Or giving Sheik, who didn't have any developed fighting style in the game, some ninja equipment, like a chain and needles.

And Pit's a character that hasn't had any major incarnation in more than 15 years. Just like the Ice Climbers, Sakurai would have to invent an awful lot. He just decide to invent even more than he had to, which is awesome.

Zelda history and continuity is a pretty big thing inside Nintendo, so TP Zelda -> OoT Zelda Transformation seems odd. (When you think about it, if that happened TP Zelda'd be transforming into her great, great, great, etc, grandmother. Creepy.) It just seems unlikely to me. But I also think that if Sakurai wants it, he'll find a way. If Ness can get some PK training on the side, and Sheik can get some nifty gear, who's to say TP Zelda never had any ninja schooling somewhere down the line?...I guess. That just sounds weird. But anyway.

For me,I liked Shiek because she was the side of her we never knew.

I would love to know more about her background history of her joining the tribe and what not.

^_^

Shiekd moves can be changes.Even though she is supposed to be somewhat of a Shinobi,her moves seemed more acrobatic insted of shinobi esque.It would be cool if she had a dagger.Lol

JPW

Smash Ace
I like the Zelda avatar on these boards, I think she should look more like that. It would have been cool if she fought with a sword but alas.
Ummm where does it say she doesn't use a Sword.

Even though I reckon she'll be a magic girl too. I reckon she would have a few sword moves too. If you got up to her in TP. You'll see she's actually got a sword and can float with it.

Also i'm am willing to bet there is no Sheik. If it is Zelda from TP then Sheik is out of the question as they are on different timelines. This Zelda is different to that of Ocarina of Time. And Sheik is so last gen.

Besides who needs Sheik, why do we need Sheik so badly? They can incorporate some of Sheik's moves into Zelda herself if you like the moves so much.

Then again i'm not a fan of Sheik and I preferred whenever I played as Zelda not to transform too much.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
While I'm not parading for Sheik's return, unfortunately for all the other naysayers, TP Zelda =/= no Sheik. If you look at the 3rd screenshot, you'll probably realize it looks familiar. That's because the pose is from Din's fire. If you've played TP, you'll know that the move isn't in the game (or Din for that matter, except for being referenced by Eldin). So if Zelda can use a move from Oot, it's still possible that she can transform into her OoT incarnations alter ego.

Granted, you could argue that using a spell froma different game is a lot more acceptable than transforming into a character from another game, and could also say that even OoT Zelda didn't ever use Din fire, but I think it's fairly safe to say that the arguement that TP Zelda means that Sheik is gone holds much less water than people used to think.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I was shocked, she was for some reason one of the last people that I thought would be revieled., but I like her new costume. I hope sheik is still in.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
I am so happy, seriously im thrilled to see Zelda return, im hoping she doesnt tansform into shiek anymore with down-b so she can have a full move-set (not saying i dont want sheik back, i just dont want her to take any moves from Zelda, and i dont want her to cause Zelda to be nerfed because of the possibility of transform, i want a full powered, competing Zelda).

Now all that Sakurai needs to really make me happy, is BUFF ZELDA THE HELL UP, it looks like shell still be slow, (as said by Sakurai in the site), but thatdoesnt matter at all, just buff her moves up a LOT, give her magic some real good uses, make her really scary... all in all, revamp Zeldas moves so she can compete at a tournament level with some magic nastiness.

Zelda for high tier!!!

jobrown4

Smash Apprentice
yeah Zelda!!! I love the new look, and I hope they provide Gannon with his TP outfit. And I'm sure they're not taking the Sheik out... but yes I do hope that they give her a new bown B as well as sheik

Eaode

Smash Champion
Eternal Phoenix Fire said:
If this were the case,Link wouldn't have the Spin attack,for that really wasn't implemented into TP.Only a single spin slash.
Wasn't implemented in TP?? Are you cereal? The spin attack in TP was actually useful, compared to the slow one in OoT and MM that you never really needed. It was made into a viable and necessary attack technique to avoid geting swarmed by enemies.

Sorry, I just had to clear that up.

I also took an OMGASP when I saw the update ^_^

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
It's about time they showed us a new character, even if it is a returning character.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
TP look means no sheik bcoz tp´s zelda is not OoT´s zelda. Impa wasnt there to teach zelda how to protect herself.

I was hoping for a sword/rapìer but nahh the useless magic atacks again... i hope they get a huge upgrade.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I love nonsensical logic. Let me try.

Shiek has to be in the game. Why? Because I love how over powering sheik was as a character in melee. The idea that I'll actually have to use zelda is just silly.

Heh, I'm funny.
But in all seriousness, no one is taking away your favorite character. You can play shiek when ever you want... in melee. Even if sheik does make it to brawl it isn't for any other reason than the creators want her there. e
In the end Brawl is a new game; we'll have to deal with the changes.
Quoted for truth. All of you who keep trying to say that Sheik has to be in because she was important in OoT and all that jazz: just stop. You're not fooling anyone. You all want Sheik back because Sheik is one of the most broken (which by your "pro" standards, becomes 'best') characters in the game. You want to play as the Sheik character in Melee, not Sheik the character from Ocarina of Time.

Pesonally, I don't see a single reason why Sheik should still be in Brawl. There have been plenty of Zelda games since Ocarina of Time, and not a single one of them has even mentioned Sheik. The closest they ever came was showing the Sheikah symbol in Majora's Mask, and then again nearly ten years later in Twilight Princess. Sheik was a one-time thing in the Zelda universe, and since OoT isn't the most recent Zelda by any means, then I see no reason to bring back one character variation from a game that's two console generations old. Unless I've overlooked something (that has absolutely nothing to do with Melee,) there's no reason that Sheik should still be in.

Now that that's out of the way, I have to say this update freaking rocked. I'm not much of a Zelda player, but this is the first character news we've had since they unveiled Fox all the way back at Nintendo World. I can't wait to see what's in store for the rest of this week.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
I too hope zelda's moves will get tweaked, if only slightly.

I get the impression that since Brawl is inclusive of many different game franchises, each with their own separate history etc, that just because we have a TP-looking Zelda doesn't mean Sakurai will feel like he has to get rid of Sheik as a transformation move. He has to deal with the histories of characters from at least 17 different franchises, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai didn't feel lke he had to be held to strict standards of sticking to each character's very specific histories.

I also saw it as mostly an aesthetic change, and not much more.

Besides, everyone keeps saying that sheik was only in OoT and so she shouldn't be in Brawl since she was in one game in the entire series. But so what? Oot in particular is probably still a huge milestone in not just Zelda, not just Nintendo, but all of video games. So what if they include a character only seen in OoT? OoT had huge huge sale numbers, and is stiill considered along the ranks with games like FF7 or Super Mario Land as some of the greatest games ever. I would say that OoT probably deserves its own representation, and I think using Zelda would be quite appropriate for this.

Plus, playing as Zelda wouldn't be the same without Sheik. Part of the reason why zelda is so unique in the smash series is due to her ability to transform. If she doesn't transform, they will have to really give her some changes to make her somehow unique to play.

Wasn't implemented in TP?? Are you cereal? The spin attack in TP was actually useful, compared to the slow one in OoT and MM that you never really needed. It was made into a viable and necessary attack technique to avoid geting swarmed by enemies.

Sorry, I just had to clear that up.

I also took an OMGASP when I saw the update ^_^
I never said it wasn't useful.I simply stated that particular Spin-Attack wasn't implemented in the game.

Silly goose.I'm the only one cerealicous enough to single handedly kill manbearpig with a single Falcon Punch.So Only I can say cereal. XD

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i will laugh in all of the shiek haters faces if shiek is confirmed tomorrow. i actually hope shiek does return, because i don't like the idea of too many people leaving. my only hopes for completely gone are pichu, yl, and doc. i hope roy, falco, gannondorf, luigi, and all the other clones get new movesets.

theduffman

Smash Cadet
The site supports the idea that the change is only aesthetic:
Smashbros.com says: Zelda’s design has also changed.
She has a slightly more subdued colour scheme.
Plus, consider that on www.smashbros.com, no reference to the Zero suit is made in Samus's profile.

As far as I'm concerned, Sheik is still on the cards.

Eaode

Smash Champion
theduffman beat me to the point.

Look at Samus's Bio. Nowhere on it does it say anything about Zero Suit Samus. The arguments about Sheik (all of them) are purely speculatory at best. We will have to wait and see.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yes, Sheik WILL be in this game, even though a couple of people have already said so.
There is no proof at all, nor anything even hinting slightly at Sheik being in BRawl.

I would love to know more about her background history of her joining the tribe and what not.
What tribe? There was no Tribe. Impa was the last one, and then Impa taught her before heading to the Shadow temple to be it's Sage. Zelda took up the name Sheik after the then extinct Sheikah tribe and started helping Link.

ZäP

Smash Apprentice
No rapier wohoo! No word about sheik another wohoo!
Well Zelda came out of nowhere to me, atleast, since I wasn't expecting her as soon as now, anyways I like her looks and Im happy that she really doesn't have rapier (though it would have been cool) and I'll be more happy if sheik really doesn't be there anymore...

Fawriel

Smash Master
Yay! Zelda is confirmed! Let's talk about SHEIK!

I'm usually a really level-headed person, but that is just one of those things that really go on my nerves.

Fortunately, everything's been said already.
TP Zelda has not shown signs of a bondage fetish, thus she will not decide to suddenly dress up in LEATHER-LIKE MATERIALS and *****-slap people,
and as awesome as OoT was, it got enough representation in both Smash games, and if they DID consider giving it even more rep in Brawl, said rep will NOT be incorporated in some relatively unimportant DISGUISE of a main character.

Kaydone.

Anyway, Zelda will be awesome.
All they have to do is make her B moves actually, you know, do stuff, give her a useful new one to make up for the lack of down-b... and for god's sake, don't make her rely on two darn attacks. If the up and forward smashes weren't so easily escaped from, that would be quite an improvement already.

What tribe? There was no Tribe. Impa was the last one, and then Impa taught her before heading to the Shadow temple to be it's Sage. Zelda took up the name Sheik after the then extinct Sheikah tribe and started helping Link.
Oh yeah,I forgot about that,my bad.:p

It's been about 7 years since I beat OoT.My memory on it is alittle rusty. >_>

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
To many haters up in this thread.....

Zelda's new look is really nice IMO and I'm Hopeing everyone in brawl has a new look jus like her, link, mario(kinda), fox, samus.

Gannondorf should use that sword he be swinging around in Melee Winners circle. :p and for some reason I have a feeling the only people not returning are Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Pichu and maybe roy :p might be some Rumor i heard that keeps running through my head iunno.

I also dunno how many times I'v seen it but people keep complaining about this Rapier not being her new moveset even though she was probably possessed or somting like that during that scene. Plus only people getting new movesets is the clones anyway.(not a fact)

Lastly I feel Sakurai isnt going by any stupid rules such as the TP zelda means no sheik one so if he wants sheik in there then shes gonna be in STRAIGHT UP!!!:cool:

Casture

Smash Apprentice
I love the way that Zelda looks and I really hope that her moves are revamped a little. I don't care if shiek is in their or not, as long as she is a bit more balanced. I don't want the Zelda/Shiek transformation character to be only one sided.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Please let her have her Light arrows....

Also, what should her final smash be?

If Shiek gets confirmed I'm going to rub it in everyone's faces hard.

If she isn't,i'm just going to laugh at all of the people complaining about the next broken character.

Here is a good question: Why do people want Ganon with a sword anyway?

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Has anyone ever thought, that she would transform into something else? As in Dark Realm Zelda. With the hood, and the leather, and basically have the same move set as sheik? This is way more likely than her transforming into sheik, but would appease all the sheik players, because they would generally have the same moveset.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone ever thought, that she would transform into something else? As in Dark Realm Zelda. With the hood, and the leather, and basically have the same move set as sheik? This is way more likely than her transforming into sheik, but would appease all the sheik players, because they would generally have the same moveset.
Zelda with a Hoody....hmmm sounds wicked. I'd play her just for that. Maybe her moves should be a mixture of magical/ninja techniques hmmmmm....

her fair should now shock you with some effect sending you straight foward instead of down -.- i hate that down.

Black/Light

Smash Master
This is a funny topic.:chuckle:

If Zelda could transform into Sheik because she "reps every Zelda in the series (IDK how. . . everything about her in Melee was from OOT)" than why can't Shiek be replaced by Tetra? I mean, it makes just about as much sense (actually makes alil more sense seeing as TP comes before WW but OOT isn't even in TP story line).

I think alot of people got it right in saying that most of you (if not all) only want "Shiek the broken Ninja" and not OoT Shiek.

My guess. . . well, from what we have seen Zelda has some of her basic attacks. We have yet to see any B moves (Im pretty sure that that 3rd pic aint Din's Fire seeing as theres no effect/ light change or what not. Looks more like a pose Zelda does if you just sit there). I still hold out hope for a vB where she pulls a sword and cloak out of nowhere (in a attacking manner for damage) and has a sword move set.
Kind of a "Princess Zelda" into "Zelda protector" transformation.

Its a Big *** sword :p who doesnt want a big *** sword to swing around
Hardly a good reason.

I would rather see Ganon break somebody's face in with his fist rather than him swinging a sword around.

Brute Strength,Dark Magic,and blows with devistating force and impact...and you want him to give that all up for a sword?

Seriously,just because he uses it in the games doesn't make it the best thing.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
My bad, the computer wouldn't update so I couldm't tell if it worked or not.

J4ke

Smash Cadet
http://mtvgames.typepad.com/mtv_video_games_blog/images/zelda_4_2.jpg

Shes clearly been designed to resemble closely if not exactly her appearance in TP.

Also think more rationally in terms of the addition of new characters. Not only is this version of zelda turning into Sheik a little far-fetched, Shiek in the roster would begin to make the total list of characters bloated, making her unnessesary. I beleive that Sakurai wants to make a roster of characters that are within the scope of current, updated, relevant nintendo/3rd party's.

My guess is that Zelda will be her own person in brawl (from TP), and Shiek will remain as a incarnation of herself from OoT in melee alone.

2cp

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Sheik will be in because:

1) She was extremely populair in Melee. And that does matter, as Sakurai is considering Japanese only characters purely because of the succes Marth and Roy enjoyed in Melee.

2) They have based Zelda on the entire Legends of series and as Sheik was a part of the series, they could let a part of Zelda be based on her.

3) Sakurai wants to make combat in the air more important and Sheik is rather good for just that.

Sheik will not be in because:

1) She is outdated and the TP Zelda never became Sheik.

2) Zero Suit Samus actually is Sheik, meaning that she has the same moveset, her whip replacing the chain which could work exactly the same and her gun replacing the needles, which would work a little different, but the needles were a little too powerful anyway.

That's all I can come up with, see what makes more sence to you.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I think I liked her better with blond hair, but the other updates more than make up for it.

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
than why can't Shiek be replaced by Tetra? I
because Tetra looks like a Kid in the games she appeared in and the Zelda we have now is the Twilight Princess version with a Graphically detailed and detained look.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Hardly a good reason.

I would rather see Ganon break somebody's face in with his fist rather than him swinging a sword around.

Brute Strength,Dark Magic,and blows with devistating force and impact...and you want him to give that all up for a sword?

Seriously,just because he uses it in the games doesn't make it the best thing.
. . . Who says he has to give that up?

In TP he was still brutel and used dark Magic with blows that would knock you half way across the field. He just had sword skills that made Link look like a noob (he looked VERY learned in the skills of the sword and showed the smarts of someone who lived for 100s of years).

I mainly feel that the sword would be the best why to insure that he is treated as he should be (He is WAY too godd*** important to be tossed in as a clone based on body shape).

"because Tetra looks like a Kid in the games she appeared in and the Zelda we have now is the Twilight Princess version with a Graphically detailed and detained look."

You have some form of a point but why not give her the TP look upgrade that everyone wants for Shiek?

. . . Who says he has to give that up?

In TP he was still brutel and used dark Magic with blows that would knock you half way across the field. He just had sword skills that made Link look like a noob (he looked VERY learned in the skills of the sword and showed the smarts of someone who lived for 100s of years).

I mainly feel that the sword would be the best why to insure that he is treated as he should be (He is WAY too godd*** important to be tossed in as a clone based on body shape).
He doesn't really need to be a clone,I just don't want to see him use a sword.

We already have a pretty good plethora of sword based characters.Even though Ganon was a clone,him NOT having the sword was the most unique thing about him,if you catch my drift.

@ above: I hope you were being sarcastic.

J4ke

Smash Cadet
I would be really surprised if they gave him a sword, mostly because I think the the team wants to minimalize weapon users. More sword users, in my humble opinion, equals a general loss of character individuality and a increase in character moveset similarities.

I think the consensus is that if the character is defined by his or her swordplay, then the character will use a sword to fight. Ganon, however in his most current form ( and older forms, check out his winning pose in melee) wields a sword, his character is not at all dependant on that form of combat to stomp people into a purple pulp.

Top Bottom