• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Mii!

mood4food77

Smash Hero
mii's could just not be used in adventure mode or something like that, like most games with customized characters

or they could make a mii background story...just for laughs

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
To Venus: It could be that Kirby gets the Mii's hair and eyes.
Yeah, I was saying that too but isn't that alot of programming just for that? I mean, you have 6 pages of just hair styles plus you have glasses and such.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Mii as a character in Brawl...it sounds just crazy enough to come off as an idea Sakurai would like. >_> 'sides, WiiSports is one of the most successful Wii games yet (it's past 2 million sales, right? I'm not up to date on that stuff...), and it'd be nice representation for all those WiiSomething games.

Customizable movesets? I think the most customization we'd get with a Mii character is uploading a Mii so you can fight as it, with every Mii sharing the same standard moveset.

I'd prefer they returned as something along the lines of the successors to the Wireframes, perhaps pulling Miis from your Mii Channel to pop up in battle. Although the purple guy robots will probably fill that role.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Miis shouldn't replace Wireframes though. They don't fit they style, I guess. Maybe it's because they all look so human and happy, while the FPT, FWF, and these purple guys look all soulless and generic. While the Miis don’t particularly have a real personality, and can be used in masse, it wouldn’t feel right if they took that role.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
They don't all need to look happy, they'd be randomly generated, frowning, smiling, crying, whatever. imo, characters with faces set in stone, constantly smiling even when facing death, sound more soulless than the Wireframes. XD

mobilisq

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was saying that too but isn't that alot of programming just for that? I mean, you have 6 pages of just hair styles plus you have glasses and such.
If they can implement the character in such a way that it takes on whatever features you've chosen, why would adding its features to kirby be any more difficult?

Wreked

Smash Lord
My suspicion is that only the startinng characters will get backstories, not all the unlockable ones.

Miis for Brawl!
I think when you unlock a character you unlock part of subspace. Like once you complete the starting characters stories, or what you can unlock, you can't go farther but you will see a bunch of little movie to want you to unlock that character. And you can also unlock more parts of say Mario's story by beating classic on hard or something like that.

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
i think Miis would be awesome...
but i always thought it would be better if there was a multiplayer mode where you could only use Miis...
they would all have the same stats and moves...
that makes the playing field completely even...
now you can know which of your friends really is the best Smasher...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
i think Miis would be awesome...
but i always thought it would be better if there was a multiplayer mode where you could only use Miis...
they would all have the same stats and moves...
that makes the playing field completely even...
now you can know which of your friends really is the best Smasher...
You can do that just by being the same character, you know. . . .

~Onslaught~

Smash Cadet
although there are mmany moves avaiable for miis i personally feel that if miis were playable characters it will ruin the concept of brawl...the great action and excitment will be turned into a kiddies game

Stryks

Smash Hero
How are Miis kiddie? sure theyre not realistic, the idea is to them look cartoony... anyway, kiddie?

Pikachu, ICs, Kirby, wario and his wacky movesets, yoshi... we already got kiddie characters...

and miis are used in almost eveyr 1st part nintendo games so far, why not brawl?

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
How are Miis kiddie? sure theyre not realistic, the idea is to them look cartoony... anyway, kiddie?

Pikachu, ICs, Kirby, wario and his wacky movesets, yoshi... we already got kiddie characters...

and miis are used in almost eveyr 1st part nintendo games so far, why not brawl?
For one, Miis are not iconic figures in Nintendo history. In fact, the word "Miis" itself gives it away that it's a horrible idea. There's not any specific one that stands out like Yoshi or Toad do from their respective species. It's like saying he should put in an Octorok in Brawl except you can customize it.

I mean, can you honestly hear the announcer saying "Here is your winner.......Mii no.22347647753!"

I sure as hell can't.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
i just want the mii in brawl so then i can play as myself
That's pretty much the only reason anyone wants/would want Miis in Brawl. But don't you think that kind of defeats the purpose of Smash? I do.

No offense, but if you want to play a game where you can play as yourself, that's what Tony Hawk is for. Hell, that's what other fighting games in general are for (I know that at the very least you can create characters in Soul Caliber 3).

One of the major points of Smash is that you're playing as recognizable characters in their own right. You are not a nintendo character, nor should you be. I don't mean to sound like a jerk in this post, it's just that this is one of the opinions that I have that I'm really adamant about. Miis are one of the very few things (hell, they may be the only thing) that I think is just completely the opposite of what a game like Smash needs.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
I box and train in MMA. Smash is the only fighting game I play because it's so out there, random, and just complex enough to be fun.

If I wanted to live out some fantasy of fighting a crowd of random psychos looking like myself...I would walk into the gym and proclaim myself an eternal Cubs fan in a South Side gym in Chicago. Better graphics, no lag, no items if God is merciful, and if I really want to get rough I'll get Vicadin in the ER.

I pass up all these other 'realistic' fighting games...to beat up an elf as a talking fox.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I understand the thought behind this suggestion and unfortunately I can see this possibly happening or the Miis being involved somehow.

I however, like this idea as much as I like the thought of drowning.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
I was playing the new Mario Strikers today, online, when I started thinking about Miis. In strikers and many other games , Miis are used as a connection with the players username and are usually highlighted before the games release. Then I remembered that when the Smash Bros update about names was shown, it didn't show any connection to Miis. Could the reason be that they are already being used differently in the game (such as a playable character)? It is quite possible that that they may have not chosen to use miis, but at the same time, nintendo hasn't really missed an oppurtunity to implement them. What do you all think?

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
For one, Miis are not iconic figures in Nintendo history. In fact, the word "Miis" itself gives it away that it's a horrible idea. There's not any specific one that stands out like Yoshi or Toad do from their respective species. It's like saying he should put in an Octorok in Brawl except you can customize it.

I mean, can you honestly hear the announcer saying "Here is your winner.......Mii no.22347647753!"

I sure as hell can't.
First of all, Mii's are an iconic feature of the Wii and Nintendo, and they will be historic. You can't deny the the thousands if not millions of fans who have Mii's loaded on their Mii channel. If it's too simple for you, dig a hole and pout in it, because you are evidently too good for it.

Explain to me how having a character that you customized (regardless of simplicity) would be a negative feature, aside from focusing on irrelivent arguments like 'I can't see the announcer saying the name'.

I really don't see how they could not feature this. Mii's have become so popular and I personally love creating all kinds of them. I'd love to have mine in Brawl to own some matches up. Nintendo knows that they're popular because of the new release of their exclusively Mii orientated channel on Wii; 'Check Mii out'.

Vali

Smash Ace
Mii's shouldn't be included in Brawl, said it before and I'll say it again.

Smash Brothers is simply a brawler, an incredibly good one at that, that allows you to play as all your favourite Nintendo characters from your favourite games. Established, important characters that we all know and love that often have prominant roles in the major franchises. Miis do not fit into this category. Yes they are popular and will most likely be a big part of Nintendo for years to come, but this does not justify their inclusion in Brawl because they are merely avatars and not characters in their own right. The idea of Brawl isn't to fight using a Mii of you or some 12 year old that thinks it's hilarious that he's fighting with Chuck Norris, it's to fight with and against characters like Samus, Mario and Link and with characters like Ridley and Ganondorf. I also maintain that Miis would be boring to play as, since their moveset couldn't be anything too fancy like bombs or rockets or dark magic and instead would have some generic moveset derived from stuff like sports. People that want to play as themselves, why? What is the point in choosing yourself as a character in a fighting game that is every Nintendo fanboys wet dream with such an allstar cast to choose from? And the people that want to use such Miis as Jesus and Agent Smith are completely missing the point in that it'd be absolutely no fun in playing as <insert real life person here who has no place in Smash Bros.> since they'd all fight exactly the same way.

Miis are basically the inclusion of a bit of reality into a purely fantasy fighting game and to that I say keep Brawl clean of things like Miis and keep it to what Brawl does best, Nintendo characters kicking each others' *****.

/rant.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Seriously nintendo is using Miis in every way possible, from mini games to the actual players of the game, I would be surprised if they dont add Mii to be a character in brawl, the miis are now part of the wii, and by adding mii they will bring more casual players to the smash series...

Vali

Smash Ace
Hello!? All the same? Did you not hear my 'customisable according to weight and height speech?
...No? What does it matter anyway, you couldn't have a moveset for certain heights and weights that fitted all characters created in those parameters. The reason why people want Miis included is to fight as their favourite real life people (including themselves, **** narcissists!) but the moveset that would be in Brawl would be nothing like the vast majority of those people would actually fight like. I can hear the painful cries of kiddies everywhere when they find out that none of the movesets for the heights and weights have a roundhouse kick for their beloved Chuck Norris Mii.

Conker1

Smash Ace
Mii's are perfect as ATs and nothing more.

Imagine, your friend throws an AT and the Mii you made of your mom comes out and smashes you in the face with a bat.

Not playable though.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Why not Conker1?

How is it that a randomly selected Mii performing one move from an item no less, would be better than you actually selecting your Mii, and performing moves with it?

Lok

Smash Cadet
Actually, this is an insanly good idea. It would be better if they didn't have a custom move set, creating less confusion. As long as Miis make some sort of appearence, I'm good. Don't care if they're playable, or ATs. Just put them in Nintendo, just put them in.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
First of all, Mii's are an iconic feature of the Wii and Nintendo, and they will be historic. You can't deny the the thousands if not millions of fans who have Mii's loaded on their Mii channel.
That's because it comes with the Wii itself. What do you expect?
If it's too simple for you, dig a hole and pout in it, because you are evidently too good for it.
I believe you are the one who should be digging a hole, so you can dump your beliefs of a Mii being playable in Smash Bros. Like one user said earlier, Miis are proabably the only thing Brawl doesnt need.

Explain to me how having a character that you customized (regardless of simplicity) would be a negative feature, aside from focusing on irrelivent arguments like 'I can't see the announcer saying the name'.
A "Mii' is not a real Nintendo character. It's an avatar for Wii owners to use in Wii Sports and Wii Play. The only reason you people want Miis in Brawl is to play as your yourselves/family/friends/teachers/whatever. This game is all about Nintendo all-stars, not lame generic creations made for ****s and giggles.

I really don't see how they could not feature this. Mii's have become so popular and I personally love creating all kinds of them. I'd love to have mine in Brawl to own some matches up.
Because apparently, Jesus, Naruto, and Hitler are certified Nintendo characters.

Nintendo knows that they're popular because of the new release of their exclusively Mii orientated channel on Wii; 'Check Mii out'.
Too bad that doesn't mean they have any real chance of being in Brawl.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Mii's shouldn't be included in Brawl, said it before and I'll say it again.

Smash Brothers is simply a brawler, an incredibly good one at that, that allows you to play as all your favourite Nintendo characters from your favourite games. Established, important characters that we all know and love that often have prominant roles in the major franchises. Miis do not fit into this category. Yes they are popular and will most likely be a big part of Nintendo for years to come, but this does not justify their inclusion in Brawl because they are merely avatars and not characters in their own right. The idea of Brawl isn't to fight using a Mii of you or some 12 year old that thinks it's hilarious that he's fighting with Chuck Norris, it's to fight with and against characters like Samus, Mario and Link and with characters like Ridley and Ganondorf. I also maintain that Miis would be boring to play as, since their moveset couldn't be anything too fancy like bombs or rockets or dark magic and instead would have some generic moveset derived from stuff like sports. People that want to play as themselves, why? What is the point in choosing yourself as a character in a fighting game that is every Nintendo fanboys wet dream with such an allstar cast to choose from? And the people that want to use such Miis as Jesus and Agent Smith are completely missing the point in that it'd be absolutely no fun in playing as <insert real life person here who has no place in Smash Bros.> since they'd all fight exactly the same way.

Miis are basically the inclusion of a bit of reality into a purely fantasy fighting game and to that I say keep Brawl clean of things like Miis and keep it to what Brawl does best, Nintendo characters kicking each others' *****.

/rant.
Vali, Vali, Vali. I don't even know where to begin....

Established, important characters that we all know and love that often have prominant roles in the major franchises. Miis do not fit into this category. Yes they are popular and will most likely be a big part of Nintendo for years to come, but this does not justify their inclusion in Brawl because they are merely avatars and not characters in their own right.
From the sound of it, there is some confusion as to what a fictional character is. Let me clear this up with the official definition:

"A fictional character is any person, persona, identity, or entity whose existence originates from a fictional work or performance. Such existence is presumed by those participating in the performance as audience, readers, or otherwise. In addition to people, characters can be aliens, animals,[1] gods, an artificial intelligence or, occasionally, inanimate objects."

To put it mildly, the criteria for a fictional character, be it in a book or a movie or a videogame, is very loose. ANY entitiy that exists in a videogame can be defined as a videogame character. The fact that you can customize the appearance and names of Miis is irrelivant. The fact that they can be made to look like real life people is irrelivant. Any persona or entity that exists in the fictional work of a videogame is a videogame character.

Some people claim that Miis aren't characters becuase there is no single "Mii" persona that is distinguishable from any other. By this standard, Pokemon like Pichu would be considered inadmisable to the Brawl roster, yet we know that this is not the case.

Some people argue that Miis can't be considered actual videogame characters becuase they lack any character development or distinct personality. However, this argument is rarely brought up when discussing characters like Mr. G&W.

By such flawed logic, Pokemon Trainer wouldn't be considered a "real" character because their name and appearance can be customized by the player when they first embark on their quest.

The fact of the matter is that no videogame character is "real". They are all artificial constructs, from the bugs in Space invaders, to Pacman, to the Sims, to Solid Snake. Drawing arbitrary distinctions about what qualifies as a videogame character is utterly laughable.

And since ANY videogame character that has ever appeared on a Nintendo platform is eligable to appear as a playable character in Super Smash Bros Brawl, the only question that matters is if Sakurai deems this particular videogame character worthy or not.

The idea of Brawl isn't to fight using a Mii of you or some 12 year old that thinks it's hilarious that he's fighting with Chuck Norris, it's to fight with and against characters like Samus, Mario and Link and with characters like Ridley and Ganondorf.
Ah yes, we all know that only characters who meet a very specific set of criteria can even be considered for Smash Bros. Having a wide diversity of videogame characters that appeal to as many different people as possible is crazy.

That's why all the characters in Melee had the same detailed, 3-D art style.

That's why cartoony characters have no place in a realistic game like Smash Bros.

That's why non-Nintendo characters don't belong in a game devoted to Nintendo allstars.

And as we all know, Sakurai is a pretty close minded guy. He wants to make a conventional, predictable roster with the ususal suspects like Mario, Link, Ridley and Ganondorf.

I also maintain that Miis would be boring to play as, since their moveset couldn't be anything too fancy like bombs or rockets or dark magic and instead would have some generic moveset derived from stuff like sports.
There are many other ideas to draw from other than just Wii Sports. Cow Racing and Tank driving from Wii Play lend themselves well to new moveset ideas, and Sakuai has proven with Falcon and Fox that he is in favor of creating awesome movesets from scratch if need be.

People that want to play as themselves, why? What is the point in choosing yourself as a character in a fighting game that is every Nintendo fanboys wet dream with such an allstar cast to choose from? And the people that want to use such Miis as Jesus and Agent Smith are completely missing the point in that it'd be absolutely no fun in playing as <insert real life person here who has no place in Smash Bros.> since they'd all fight exactly the same way.
"Why?" Why does anyone do anything? Becuase they feel like it, that's why. Some people like playing games where they control a plumber or an elf with a green cap, others like to play as Miis that resemble real people or pop culture icons. Neither preferance is right or wrong.

At any rate, there is no law that says that every single playable character in Brawl has to appeal to 100% of gamers. If you don't like a given character, be it Mii or Wario or Princess Peach or whoever, then don't play as that character - plain and simple. There will be plenty of others to choose from, surly every gamer can find at least one thy find appealing.

And yes, all Miis would have the same moveset. But the same is true for ALL playable characters, so I fail to see the problem.

/rant.
Uhh... "reality"? I've heard many reasons for why Miis wouldn't work in Brawl, but their realism isn't one of them. The graphics in Wii Sports are about as far from realism as you ca get.

I realize that you ( and many others) don't like the concept of Miis in Brawl. Fair enough. We don't all have to like the same things. Personally, I love the idea. But the only opinion that matters at all is Sakurai's. If he wants Mii to be a playable character, it will happen. If not, it won't. It's as simple as that.

But there is no reason why Miis COULDN'T be included. They may be avitars, but they are 100% Nintendo characters. And if Nintendo wants to attract the millions of casual gamers to buy Brawl, they would be wise to include the Wii's mascot as a playable character.

/wall of pain.

SonicMario

Smash Master
@Wiseguy: When i saw these people do all this, somehow i KNEW you were going to come here and flame them. I support the Mii idea as well. Brawl could be the best selling Wii game just like it's big brother Melee. This is the equation for a perfect Brawl:

Brawl + SubS Emiss + Online + Sonic + Many good Nintendo Characters + Miis + other stuff that will be super cool + Same gameplay as last 2 = BEST SELLING WII GAME YET

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Miis do kinda help reinforce the all-star theme, at least for new players. Afterall, people are born everyday, so there's people just begining to get into video games all the time. The grand history of nintendo would be lost on the newbies. With Miis, they can (sorta) create people & characters that they are familar with. It ain't Nintendo all-stars but at least it would be an all-stars in the mind of the specific player.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
I think a mii stage would bee cool like the bowling alley from wii sports with a bunch of your mii's walking around.

Vali

Smash Ace
Vali, Vali, Vali. I don't even know where to begin....
Wiseguy, Wiseguy, Wiseguy. Here you are defending Miis and yet your recent devotion to the Olimar thread has been unheard of! For shame! At least it's nice to know I've got someone to argue with again ^^.

From the sound of it, there is some confusion as to what a fictional character is. Let me clear this up with the official definition:

"A fictional character is any person, persona, identity, or entity whose existence originates from a fictional work or performance. Such existence is presumed by those participating in the performance as audience, readers, or otherwise. In addition to people, characters can be aliens, animals,[1] gods, an artificial intelligence or, occasionally, inanimate objects."

To put it mildly, the criteria for a fictional character, be it in a book or a movie or a videogame, is very loose. ANY entitiy that exists in a videogame can be defined as a videogame character. The fact that you can customize the appearance and names of Miis is irrelivant. The fact that they can be made to look like real life people is irrelivant. Any persona or entity that exists in the fictional work of a videogame is a videogame character.

Some people claim that Miis aren't characters becuase there is no single "Mii" persona that is distinguishable from any other. By this standard, Pokemon like Pichu would be considered inadmisable to the Brawl roster, yet we know that this is not the case.
Actually, like I originally put, I think that the word "Avatar" is much more suitable for Miis and I still stand by that avatars have no real place in Smash Bros. An avatar can be considered a character, for sure, but I would say that the fact that they can be anyone does take away from my wanting them to be in Brawl. The entire fact that there is no single Mii is completely different from the example of a Pokemon like Pichu because all Pichus are the same in appearance, in the moves that they have and learn, in the fact they evolve into Pikachu, the only quibble is with that many Pokemon need to be justified by personality. However every Mii is different like how every human is different and yet belongs to the same race which is not true of the Pokemon world. Comparing the Mii and Pokemon just isn't valid really, and also the fact that any Pokemon that are like Pichu (no singluar one) are pretty much outdated from the roster now except for special circumstances like the PT. It is rather ironic that in your comparison of Pichu and Mii you seemed to have chosen the one character on the entire Melee roster that no-one wants returning and no-one knows why the hell it was put on in the first place. Food for thought.

Some people argue that Miis can't be considered actual videogame characters becuase they lack any character development or distinct personality. However, this argument is rarely brought up when discussing characters like Mr. G&W.
Game and Watch may have no character development or distinct personality, but that is merely because his games never called for one. He is still Game and Watch, he is still a distinct character and he is not like a Mii in that he isn't just an avatar. Game and Watch is the same in every game and yet, every Mii is different.

By such flawed logic, Pokemon Trainer wouldn't be considered a "real" character because their name and appearance can be customized by the player when they first embark on their quest.
Well...he isn't a character. Or at least not a real one. Whereas he does have a defined shape/height/weight and no personality, I would go as far as to say that he is merely just a non-customisable avatar for the player. Yet on his own, I doubt he would've got into the Brawl roster as I believe his addition is justified by spectating and commanding the 3 Pokemon which are included with him. The PT never fights and he's not really his own character and so putting him as a character in a fighting game by himself would be foolish. But to include him not fighting, not playing as such, but commanding the established and loved original starting Pokemon? Genius.

The fact of the matter is that no videogame character is "real". They are all artificial constructs, from the bugs in Space invaders, to Pacman, to the Sims, to Solid Snake. Drawing arbitrary distinctions about what qualifies as a videogame character is utterly laughable.
You're using real as in the sense of existing, and yet real can also be ascribed to something to determine how much like the thing something is trying to be really is. Like a footballer that stands on the pitch and never once touches a football, is he really a footballer? He's in a football team, on the pitch during a match but that is the extent that he is a footballer. You could argue that he is one, you could argue that he's not a real footballer, not really. He's technically playing football, but only just (if you argue this point, imagine a goalie that doesn't have to save a shot all match/ball never goes in their half, he's still playing football but he just doesn't have to do anything). Miis I would categorise in the same way that they aren't really videogame characters, not in the way that Link is (another character that is in some way an avatar). I'm also not questioning the fact that they clearly are a videogame character in that they are "characters" in videogames, it would be stupid to say that they do not qualify under the literal definition. However to say that they are videogame characters in the same way as the legends of videogaming and should be included in Brawl is a leap of the imagination.

And since ANY videogame character that has ever appeared on a Nintendo platform is eligable to appear as a playable character in Super Smash Bros Brawl, the only question that matters is if Sakurai deems this particular videogame character worthy or not.
Of course, all characters (that have appeared on a Nintendo console) have a chance in that regard. However, I am here debating the worthiness of the Mii, as are you. Our opinions at the end of the day don't matter whatsoever, but it's always fun to argue.

Ah yes, we all know that only characters who meet a very specific set of criteria can even be considered for Smash Bros. Having a wide diversity of videogame characters that appeal to as many different people as possible is crazy.

That's why all the characters in Melee had the same detailed, 3-D art style.

That's why cartoony characters have no place in a realistic game like Smash Bros.

That's why non-Nintendo characters don't belong in a game devoted to Nintendo allstars.

And as we all know, Sakurai is a pretty close minded guy. He wants to make a conventional, predictable roster with the ususal suspects like Mario, Link, Ridley and Ganondorf.
The examples you picked are rather silly, since I never said that all characters will be the same with the same art styles, maturity of graphics or only conventional, predictable characters will get in. However I beg to differ that Snake is not a Nintendo all-star since despite being 3rd party and his games now appearing on Sony machines. He is still playable on Nintendo consoles (Gamecube) and his origins were on Nintendo consoles such as the NES in the original games. He does not belong to Nintendo, but he is still (now more of a retro) star of the Nintendo platforms.

However you did also manage to miss what I was trying to say entirely. I mean, entirely. What I was trying to point out there was that in the main franchise games such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid you never get to play as the badguys and never get to fight against the good guys. Smash Bros. is the place to turn all that on it's head and fight your beloved heroes as the villains. That is the purpose of Smash Brothers, since the selling appeal of the original was exactly that, fight with your favourite Nintendo characters against each other! Or not so favourite, in Pichu's case. >.>

Miis have no place in the main franchises to be honest, the party minigames yes but otherwise no. I would be angry if you could play through Super Mario Galaxy as your own Mii, because it'd be completely missing the point of Super Mario Galaxy. If you don't agree with that, then there is no hope for you my friend ^^.

There are many other ideas to draw from other than just Wii Sports. Cow Racing and Tank driving from Wii Play lend themselves well to new moveset ideas, and Sakuai has proven with Falcon and Fox that he is in favor of creating awesome movesets from scratch if need be.
The idea of a tank in Brawl isn't to my liking, but you cannot build a fully fleshed out unique and interesting moveset based on Cow Racing and Tanks. Creating a completely new moveset from scratch wouldn't make sense because surely the idea of including Miis was to pay homage to all the minigames Miis are in, making them famous through Wii Sports and Wii Play, in addition to allowing people to play as their own customisable Brawl character? That'd like be including Link and including none of his moves from the games, surely?

"Why?" Why does anyone do anything? Becuase they feel like it, that's why. Some people like playing games where they control a plumber or an elf with a green cap, others like to play as Miis that resemble real people or pop culture icons. Neither preferance is right or wrong.
I'll never understand the appeal of wanting to play as a pop culture icon in Brawl.

And yes, all Miis would have the same moveset. But the same is true for ALL playable characters, so I fail to see the problem.
The problem that all of the characters aren't attempting to be something other than what they are. A Mii attempts to be everyone and everything and yet Samus is always going to be Samus and even the Pokemon Trainer only attempts to be the Pokemon Trainer. You can't have a generic Mii moveset, flat out across the board, that would fit all the personas of the Mii. Every PT uses Pokemon to fight, but *sigh* (I hate having to keep using this example) Chuck Norris doesn't fight in the same way that Jesus would. While it wouldn't be a problem for Miis concerning you, the appeal of fighting as a real life person or fictional character is lost when that character has a moveset that in no way correlates to how they'd actually fight.

Uhh... "reality"? I've heard many reasons for why Miis wouldn't work in Brawl, but their realism isn't one of them. The graphics in Wii Sports are about as far from realism as you ca get.
You are a real person. A Mii of you is trying to imitate that real thing, which is you. Putting Miis into Brawl would be allowing any real person to have a cartoony caricature look-a-like in the game. I would go so far as to say that a cartoony version of you is slightly more real than an entirely fictitious character. A Mii in some ways is you and in other, more obvious ways, isn't. If you argue against this point, then you're completely nullifying the appeal that having a Mii in Brawl is like playing as yourself.

But there is no reason why Miis COULDN'T be included. They may be avitars, but they are 100% Nintendo characters. And if Nintendo wants to attract the millions of casual gamers to buy Brawl, they would be wise to include the Wii's mascot as a playable character.

/wall of pain.
However, I doubt the prospect of being able to play as themselves would so much attract the casual gamer since it's the type of game that attracts people, not merely being able to play as themselves. I wouldn't buy a pony focused minigame compilation because it had Solid Snake in it, because whatever way you to try to dress it up in some hardcore appeal it's still an incredibly lackluster casual game.

Looking forward to the next wall of pain ^^;.

Edit: Oh and Jimmy that is just your opinion, hence subjective. Since there is no right or wrong to subjectiveness you cannot be proved wrong, but also you can't be proved right and thus phrases like "End of story" are meaningless.

Top Bottom