• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Mii!

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
And if you'll notice, the Mr. Game & Watch character in Melee had neither eyes, ears, or fingers, like the one in that picture. Not to mention the extremities have completely different proportions.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yes, he takes a slightly different form in many of his games, but it's generally the same character. You're still not convincing me that G&W is the same as a Mii. Miis are COMPLETELY customizable and different for each person. That means they are not a Nintendo character - they are an AVATAR. A Mii of some random person I don't know or of a random celebrity or character has NO place in SSB. I'd rather fight against someone that I recognize as part of the Nintendo universe, not some random kid's representation of himself.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Yes, he takes a slightly different form in many of his games, but it's generally the same character. You're still not convincing me that G&W is the same as a Mii. Miis are COMPLETELY customizable and different for each person. That means they are not a Nintendo character - they are an AVATAR. A Mii of some random person I don't know or of a random celebrity or character has NO place in SSB. I'd rather fight against someone that I recognize as part of the Nintendo universe, not some random kid's representation of himself.
I think what you are driving at is that there is no single "Mii" character per say, like there is a single Mario or a single Samus or a single Link. (Wait. What was that last one again?) But the same could also be said of the Pokemon (with the excepton of Mewtwo) in that there is no "Pichu" character per say, just an entire species of generic Pichus. So there is a president that would allow Miis to appear.

Miis may be customizable, but they are very much Nintendo characters. Every eye and nose that players use to customize their Miis are created and owned by Nintendo, and they have just as much personality and character development as your man G&W.

Miis aren't just avitars, they are Nintendo's new mascot (Miis will appear in more titles this year than Mario) and I would be perplexed if they did not appear in the Brawl roster.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I think what you are driving at is that there is no single "Mii" character per say, like there is a single Mario or a single Samus or a single Link. (Wait. What was that last one again?) But the same could also be said of the Pokemon (with the excepton of Mewtwo) in that there is no "Pichu" character per say, just an entire species of generic Pichus. So there is a president that would allow Miis to appear.

Miis may be customizable, but they are very much Nintendo characters. Every eye and nose that players use to customize their Miis are created and owned by Nintendo, and they have just as much personality and character development as your man G&W.

Miis aren't just avitars, they are Nintendo's new mascot (Miis will appear in more titles this year than Mario) and I would be perplexed if they did not appear in the Brawl roster.
That's actually a large part of why I hate the idea of Miis being in SSB. The pokémons are a bit different, since all Pichus/Pikachus/[insert one of 25,000 other pokémon species here] are presumably the same as far as this game is concerned. And they're created by Nintendo, not by any random 13 year old who owns a Wii.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
That's actually a large part of why I hate the idea of Miis being in SSB. The pokémons are a bit different, since all Pichus/Pikachus/[insert one of 25,000 other pokémon species here] are presumably the same as far as this game is concerned. And they're created by Nintendo, not by any random 13 year old who owns a Wii.
Like I said, every eye and nose on every Mii was created by Nintendo. Players just choose how to arrange them. You might hate the idea of havings Miis in Brawl, but Nintendo no dount loves the idea of including their new Casual Gamer mascot in their most high profile Wii title. What better way to indoctrinate the Wii Sports/Brain Age crowd into full fledged Nintendo fanboyism than to include the option of playing as Miis in a game such as Brawl, which is essentially a crash course in all things Nintendo.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Like I said, every eye and nose on every Mii was created by Nintendo. Players just choose how to arrange them.
Bit of a stretch if you ask me.

You might hate the idea of havings Miis in Brawl, but Nintendo no dount loves the idea of including their new Casual Gamer mascot in their most high profile Wii title. What better way to indoctrinate the Wii Sports/Brain Age crowd into full fledged Nintendo fanboyism than to include the option of playing as Miis in a game such as Brawl, which is essentially a crash course in all things Nintendo.
So are you all for the idea of say, having Miis be a character in Metroid Prime 3?

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
So are you all for the idea of say, having Miis be a character in Metroid Prime 3?
Well, considering it has no multiplayer, and it is heavily story-based, Miis would be hard to work in, but not impossible. They could easily be an Easter Egg.

Whether you like it or not, Nintendo is making a lot of money off of casual gamers; this is causing them to focus more on that market. Miis represent Nintendo's new vision.

Oh, and if you either 1) don't own a Wii or 2) have never made Miis other than Miis of yourself and family, don't bother arguing about Miis; you obviously don't know a lot about them.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Hey if not playable. How about as a assist trophy? They would all do the same thing but it can be a random Mii from your file. Like how in Wario Ware or Mario Party 8 where a random Mii is in a mini game.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I am glad you think my idea is good, but i was mentioning that if Mii isn't playable. Why can't a random Mii from your channel come in as an assist trophy, everyone would enjoy seeing their or a celebrity's somewhat downsized face onto the field. Like come on who wouldn't want a Jack Bauer or other Mii beating up Snake? What would be extra funny is all Miis are muscular!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21592.html

Well I can't say this "game" is really my cup of tea but if you think that Wii Fit is going to be anything short of the top selling Wii game of 2007, then I've got a bridge in Brooklin I'd like to sell you. The Wii Sports/Brain Age crowd is going eat this one up, and you can bet that Nintendo is going to advertise the heck out of it.

In addition to starring in Wii Fit, Miis are also the focus of the latest Wii Channel: Check Me Out. This is kind of a Youtube for Miis, where gamers can upload their avitars and cast votes for their favorites. I have a couple creations that I can't wait to show the world...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again until the nay-sayers are silenced: Miis are Nintendo's new mascot, and Nintendo would be foolish not to include their latest superstar as a playable character in Brawl.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21592.html

Well I can't say this "game" is really my cup of tea but if you think that Wii Fit is going to be anything short of the top selling Wii game of 2007, then I've got a bridge in Brooklin I'd like to sell you. The Wii Sports/Brain Age crowd is going eat this one up, and you can bet that Nintendo is going to advertise the heck out of it.

In addition to starring in Wii Fit, Miis are also the focus of the latest Wii Channel: Check Me Out. This is kind of a Youtube for Miis, where gamers can upload their avitars and cast votes for their favorites. I have a couple creations that I can't wait to show the world...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again until the nay-sayers are silenced: Miis are Nintendo's new mascot, and Nintendo would be foolish not to include their latest superstar as a playable character in Brawl.
Then I certainly hope they are foolish.

And I'll just leave it at that for now.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
But the same could also be said of the Pokemon (with the excepton of Mewtwo) in that there is no "Pichu" character per say, just an entire species of generic Pichus. So there is a president that would allow Miis to appear.
Do you know how many angry pokemon fans you'd have if you didn't include pokemon, though?? The same can hardly be said about Miis...

I'm still not sold on them. I don't like them as playable character; I think they're a waste of space. I think there are plenty of other venues within the game where they could be implemented, but I really don't see them as being playable in the sense that Mario and Samus are. It is probably likely they will be in somewhere, but I don't see the playable thing happening.

Caael

Smash Lord
I'm guessing they will be the new wire frames.

Not playable. Smash is about representing Nintendo characters. Mii's are Nintendo characters that represent people. Having Mii's as playable is like saying every person in the world is playable.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
ahh ahh...I have an idea, then.

You can make them playable, but since they represent people, once they are dead, you can never use them again. So you have to use a brand-new one. In no time Ridley will rid the world of all Miis...mwahahahah...

Yeah, on second thought, I really don't see that happening

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again until the nay-sayers are silenced: Miis are Nintendo's new mascot
O_o

Yes, because generic low-detail figures are SO much more recognizable and likeable than, say, Mario.

killbeast301

Smash Lord

Not playable. Smash is about representing Nintendo characters. Mii's are Nintendo characters that represent people. Having Mii's as playable is like saying every person in the world is playable.
Exactly, you can include EVERY character EVER thought of, while only taking up 1 character slot. Also, Miis don't represent people, each individual mii represents individual people. Miis as a whole represent new nintendo and the wii.

HeroOfTime64

Smash Cadet
Yes, Killbeast. I agree. They represent any character in the world, being of Video Game fame or not, the character is only limited to one's imagination.

I would love to see a Mii of myself repeatedly kicking Jigglypuff, personally.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
of course miis should be playable. are you naysayers saying that you DONT want to see ridley beating the crap out of hitler? c'mon, whats wrong with you?

user_name

Smash Apprentice
hey, the other day I made a new thread about Mii characters, but it got closed. I did a couple searches and nothing came up, but anyway, I found this thread and I guess Ill post my opening post for the other thread here:

Hello all. I've noticed a lot of people want to have Miis in SSBB and want to be able to import their own Miis. I was wondering what people would think of the way you customize your appearance effecting their stats in brawl?

For example:

Taller = longer range
Shorter = higher jump
Fatter = stronger attack/better endurance
Thinner = faster movements/attacks

you could also have more random effects, such as your choice for eyes, eye color, eye position, eye size, eye tilt, eye closeness, skin tone, face style, hair style, hair part direction, hair color, mouth style, mouth color, mouth size, mouth placement, eyebrow style, eyebrow color, eyebrow tilt, eyebrow placement, nose style, nose size, nose placement, glasses style, glasses size, glasses placement, glasses color, mole placement, facial hair style, facial hair size, and facial hair placement all effecting your stats slightly.

What do you guys think?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I can't wait until this game finally comes out and everyone realizes that Miis are not in the game.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
of course miis should be playable. are you naysayers saying that you DONT want to see ridley beating the crap out of hitler? c'mon, whats wrong with you?
That's right, I don't. I DON'T want to see Brawl turned into a joke. Sure, Smash has always had it's humorous/unrealistic/silly side, but I still don't want it to become a full-fledged joke game.

Let's not be ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous.

If you want to see Ridley gnawing on Hitler's head, make a flash movie about it.

EDIT: And I'll thank you kindly not to attack "naysayers" opinions. Otherwise you'll get responses like this.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
That's right, I don't. I DON'T want to see Brawl turned into a joke. Sure, Smash has always had it's humorous/unrealistic/silly side, but I still don't want it to become a full-fledged joke game.

If you want to see Ridley gnawing on Hitler's head, make a flash movie about it.

EDIT: And I'll thank you kindly not to attack "naysayers" opinions. Otherwise you'll get responses like this.
QFMFSOAMFP

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
I can't wait until this game finally comes out and everyone realizes that Miis are not in the game.
Wanting them the game and saying they're in the game are two different things. Really, this is all a matter of opinion, and I doubt I can change your mind about Mii's in brawl.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Do you know how many angry pokemon fans you'd have if you didn't include pokemon, though?? The same can hardly be said about Miis...

I'm still not sold on them. I don't like them as playable character; I think they're a waste of space. I think there are plenty of other venues within the game where they could be implemented, but I really don't see them as being playable in the sense that Mario and Samus are. It is probably likely they will be in somewhere, but I don't see the playable thing happening.
The Wii Sports/Brain Age crowd is greater in number than the Poke-nerds (I use the term very respectfully...) and I am positive that Nintendo values their money just as much as they do hardcore gamers. The Casual games need a mascot, an Mii is it.

Just becuase you don't like the idea Grim doesn't mean that it won't happen. If you saw Nintendo's E3 press conferance, you'll note that just about every word that came from their mouths was designed to entise new, casual gamers to buy their games. Isn't is at least concievable that Nintendo would want Miis playable in the biggest Wii game of the year?

Miis can be the new wire frames AND a playable character.

Have you played Wii Sports? Every person IS a playable character in that game.

ahh ahh...I have an idea, then.

You can make them playable, but since they represent people, once they are dead, you can never use them again. So you have to use a brand-new one. In no time Ridley will rid the world of all Miis...mwahahahah...

Yeah, on second thought, I really don't see that happening
Are you sitting down? Okay, brace yourself for the knowlege contained under this spoiler:

Ridley rocks. Miis rock more. End of story.

O_o

Yes, because generic low-detail figures are SO much more recognizable and likeable than, say, Mario.
What you or I think doesn't matter a great deal, sir. What does matter is what Nintendo thinks. And Nintendo has gone to great pains to market Miis as their mascot for the Wii, putting them in every game imaginable, from Wario Ware to Madden Footbal to Wii Fit.

I like Mario, but I have a greater atachment to my collection of Miis. I suspect many Wii owners (particularily new gamers) feel the same way.

hey, the other day I made a new thread about Mii characters, but it got closed. I did a couple searches and nothing came up, but anyway, I found this thread and I guess Ill post my opening post for the other thread here:
I'm a little wary of customizing movesets or stats, as it could break the game. As long as Miis get a Wii Sports/Wii Play inspired moveset have have customizable faces, I'll be satisfied.

Conversely, I can't wait until I'm beat you over Wi-Fi with my Jack Bauer Mii. Oh the memories we'll have...

Dircus. My mother's maiden name. HA!

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Dircus. My mother's maiden name. HA!
GAH.

Sariku Uchiha (I think that was his name, don't quote me on that) told me about "dirkus" (he used a "k") shortly after I got here. And I was devastated.

And I actually had the little disclaimer "except 'dirkus'" in my sig, until I realize it made my sig too big.

Why ya'll gotta be shootin' me down, yo? :(

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
GAH.

Sariku Uchiha (I think that was his name, don't quote me on that) told me about "dirkus" (he used a "k") shortly after I got here. And I was devastated.

And I actually had the little disclaimer "except 'dirkus'" in my sig, until I realize it made my sig too big.

Why ya'll gotta be shootin' me down, yo? :(
Sorry man, I couldn't resist. :laugh: To be honest, I just made that name up out of the top of my head.

Anyway, would the inclusion of Miis really be that bad? Smash Bros has always been about including videogame characters that appeal to gamers of all stripes. It truly is the one game where Poke-nerds, Zelda fanatics, Metroid veterans, F-zero junkies, Fire Emblem tacticians, memebers of the Earthbound cult, card carrying memebers of the Mario fanclub and now Metal Gear addicts can unite and have a game a game to call our own. Isn't it time to bring the casual gamers into the fold as well?

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Miis.. I love seeing them in games when they randomly appear and I'm not ready for it. I'm sure they have considered it, not sure if they would go through with it.

Wouldn't mind having one as a playable character.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Sorry man, I couldn't resist. :laugh: To be honest, I just made that name up out of the top of my head.

Anyway, would the inclusion of Miis really be that bad? Smash Bros has always been about including videogame characters that appeal to gamers of all stripes. It truly is the one game where Poke-nerds, Zelda fanatics, Metroid veterans, F-zero junkies, Fire Emblem tacticians, memebers of the Earthbound cult, card carrying memebers of the Mario fanclub and now Metal Gear addicts can unite and have a game a game to call our own. Isn't it time to bring the casual gamers into the fold as well?
I suppose that's a decent point. But I kind of view Smash as a game that just isn't for casual gamers (at least, not ones that are that casual). I see it as being built FOR those poke-nerds, Zelda fanatics, etc. Gamers that are too casual to care about Link, Pikachu, Mario, etc. would probably perfectly fine playing as anyone. Mii isn't necessary.

If a gamer that casual is playing Brawl, they're playing it just for the gameplay, not because they get to be their Mii. Er, at least that's what I would think.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I suppose that's a decent point. But I kind of view Smash as a game that just isn't for casual gamers (at least, not ones that are that casual). I see it as being built FOR those poke-nerds, Zelda fanatics, etc. Gamers that are too casual to care about Link, Pikachu, Mario, etc. would probably perfectly fine playing as anyone. Mii isn't necessary.

If a gamer that casual is playing Brawl, they're playing it just for the gameplay, not because they get to be their Mii. Er, at least that's what I would think.
I agree that Mii isn't NECESSARY, but neither is any single Super Smash Bros character. But that does not mean that they would not be a valuable addition to the roster. Is there any reason (other than that some hardcore players wouldn't like it) that Nintendo wouldn't include Mii as a playable character?

Nintendo seems intent on making Brawl (and just about ALL it's games) appealing to casual players, which is why they included a Brawl control scheme that uses the Wii controller.
And if Nitntendo knows anything, it's that Miis appeal to casual players. Why else would EA pay Nintendo to include Miis in Madden Football, a game that most would call exclusivly for hardcore players?

Ideally, every gamer (even the ultra casual) should be able to play Brawl and have an emotional attachment to at least one of the playable characters. I fail to se any downside to including a unique videogame character that has the potential to turn a whole new group of people into Super Smash Bro fans.

Which brings me to my final point: why are some of you so hostile to the idea of Mii in Brawl? Is it really necessary that all 40(ish) playable characters on the roster be characters that apeal to you? Would it really ruin the game if a character that appeals to millions of casual gamers and quite a few hardcore gamers (myself included) were included with 39 characters that appeal exclusively to hardcore gamers?

tirkaro

Smash Champion

way to take what I said, and take it way to seriously, man. they should give out medals for that.

miis are still nintendo characters, no matter how you put it. by your same logic, smash must already be a joke. you can still color kirby yellow in melee, and call him "pac-man." you can color samus purple and call it "EVA-01" you can color mario yellow-and-purple and call him "wario" heck, you can even take mario's final smash and call it a "kamehameha"
see what I mean?

so I dont really care if you dont want to see the epic battle between george bush, rock lee, batman, and 50 cent, but that would hardly make smash a "joke" It would only be a joke if one chooses it to be a joke. otherwise, mii is just a regular character, no less than EVA-01 samus or pac-man kirby.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I agree that Mii isn't NECESSARY, but neither is any single Super Smash Bros character. But that does not mean that they would not be a valuable addition to the roster. Is there any reason (other than that some hardcore players wouldn't like it) that Nintendo wouldn't include Mii as a playable character?

Nintendo seems intent on making Brawl (and just about ALL it's games) appealing to casual players, which is why they included a Brawl control scheme that uses the Wii controller.
And if Nitntendo knows anything, it's that Miis appeal to casual players. Why else would EA pay Nintendo to include Miis in Madden Football, a game that most would call exclusivly for hardcore players?

Ideally, every gamer (even the ultra casual) should be able to play Brawl and have an emotional attachment to at least one of the playable characters. I fail to se any downside to including a unique videogame character that has the potential to turn a whole new group of people into Super Smash Bro fans.

Which brings me to my final point: why are some of you so hostile to the idea of Mii in Brawl? Is it really necessary that all 40(ish) playable characters on the roster be characters that pea to you? Would it really ruin the game if a character that appeals to millions of casual gamers and quite a few hardcore gamers (myself included) were included with 39 characters that appeal exclusively to hardcore gamers?
You're right about Nintendo's intentions to reel in casual gamers. And Miis do seem like a plausible way of doing that. I didn't know about the Miss in Madden thing (probably because I don't play Madden, haha), and that's certainly an interesting point. But it's not that I don't think Miis don't have a chance of getting in — they clearly have fans. I just personally dislike the idea of them being in this particular game.

Sure, every player does deserve the chance to have an attachment to a character. But, it's my (admittedly unfounded) opinion that if the ultra casual gamer isn't drawn into the game by the prospect of playing as Mario or Pikachu or someone of the sort, that a Mii wouldn't be much help. The only thing it offers to that ultra casual gamer is that he or she has the chance to play as something that looks like him or her. And I just don't see that being enough of a draw on it's own to make that gamer play. But I could of course be, and based on the popularity of this thread probably am, wrong.

way to take what I said, and take it way to seriously, man. they should give out medals for that.

miis are still nintendo characters, no matter how you put it. by your same logic, smash must already be a joke. you can still color kirby yellow in melee, and call him "pac-man." you can color samus purple and call it "EVA-01" you can color mario yellow-and-purple and call him "wario" heck, you can even take mario's final smash and call it a "kamehameha"
see what I mean?

so I dont really care if you dont want to see the epic battle between george bush, rock lee, batman, and 50 cent, but that would hardly make smash a "joke" It would only be a joke if one chooses it to be a joke. otherwise, mii is just a regular character, no less than EVA-01 samus or pac-man kirby.
The reason I quoted your post before was specifically because of the scenario you mentioned (Ridley vs. Hitler) and other joke match-ups. Color changes of Kirby, Samus, etc. is hardly comparable.

If you want to play as yellow Kirby because it make you feel more like you're playing as Pac-man, fine. If you want to play as Mario in a yellow shirt and cap and purple overalls because you want to play as "Wario" in Melee, go for it. That's just a matter of finding a way of taking a character and making it something you want to play as more. Playing as, say, a Mii that looks somewhat like George Bush just because you want to see your friend fry his face off with Bowser's flamethrower is another matter entirely.

If Miis are in, and you want to see your epic Donald Trump vs. Rosie O'Donell battle, go for it.
I'm just saying that I'm opposed to that idea.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
So I've skimmed through the thread and I may have missed this, but tell me, in the hypothetical world where we all have usernames and controller schemes attatched to each other and that miis are a character, would it not stand to make sense to fill in an empty slated mii with the personalized one that may represent the name?

Top Bottom