• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Mii!

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
Wiseguy's right. Why shouldn't Miis get in? Are you afraid of Miis? But seriously, if Miis appeal to both hardcore and casual gamers, then they definately should get in. The only problem I see is coming up with a symbol for them
how about the little Mii things the represents the Mii Channel on the Wii Menu???
i was thinking...
should a Mii actually win a battle...
the victory song could be the first few notes from the tune you hear when you enter the Mii Plaza...

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
From what I've seen here, most of the anti-Mii people are thinking only in the very closed-minded terms of the Smashboards community. They think that Mii's can't be in because they don't fit into the extremely rigid criteria that you 'fans' have determined on your own to be 'worthy ' of being in Smash Bros. What you don't realize is that this game isn't being made for the hardcore smash fanboy. It isn't being made for you, to be what you want it to be. It's being made to appeal to everyone. Really, that's the entire point to the entire Smash franchise. To have a little something to appeal to everybody who would want to play it, on one level or another.

Now, for the sake of argument, imagine the Mii in or out debate from the standpoint of a casual gamer, brand new to Super Smash Bros. If you had never played Smash before, had never come to the conclusion that it was only for the most important Nintendo characters from the most popular and iconic franchises and nobody else, how would you feel about a fighting game that lets you play as Mario, Pikachu, or Kirby? Sounds pretty awesome, doesn't it? And now, still from the standpoint of someone just being introduced to Smash, how would you feel if you then found out that you could put yourself into the game and play as a pseudo-you against said video game icons? I don't know about you, but in my mind I don't see someone like that going "That sucks it's supposed to be just Nintendo Icons." In reality, a casual gamer would probably be thinking along the lines of "Sweet! I can even play as myself? That's awesome!"

Now for the "Miis aren't a real character" side of the argument, I'd like to remind you that Miis currently have four full games where they are the only playable characters (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree), not to mention appearing in several other titles like Wario Ware, Mario Party 8, Madden, and FIFA '08, and they have three entire Wii channels devoted to them (Mii channel, Everybody Votes Channel, and Check Mii Out Channel). I would say that Miis are more than being worthy of being called real characters at this point.

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
I think that Mii's should be in the game but not as playable characters. I think they would make a good replacement for the wireframes or maybe they could make up the crowd who cheer the characters on.

Stryks

Smash Hero
The miis are too perfect to not be in brawl as playable, having them as wirefram wouldnt work, remember all wireframes and polygons from 64 were clone of a certain character, who would Mii copy? and if he gains its own moveset, then why not make him playable?

Just give all miis (fat, thin, tall, short) the same stats, hitboxes and movesets, make them balanced and good with combods like mairo and u will have a solid character...

NukeA6

Smash Master
I think that Mii's should be in the game but not as playable characters. I think they would make a good replacement for the wireframes or maybe they could make up the crowd who cheer the characters on.
No that wouldn't be right. The polygon/wireframe gang are supposed to be unfinished clones who run amok.

HumanIce

Smash Cadet
mii would be a great idea! like making your own character and customize him with your own fighting stiles.. even make your punch by controlling how it is by moving the remote.. that would be such a good idea.. I hope nintendo will use it.

HeroOfTime64

Smash Cadet
The best thing I like about Mii's (if they were a character) is that you could make a replica of almost any character that isn't in Brawl!

So, lets say you don't have Eggman in your rosters, just make a bald, over-mustashed, evil looking fat Mii and presto! You got it!

user_name

Smash Apprentice
Are you all serious about Miis replacing the wireframes? That would be horrible! It would ruin the entire feeling of the game. The thing about SSB is that one strange or niche character wont ruin the game, but if you take something thats supposed to come off as mysterious and dark and turn it into miis... you've ruined part of the game. Miis could easily have their own moveset, and easily be customizable. If they were to become the new wireframes, not only would it kill the theme of those characters being flawed clones, but you would need to create a Mii moveset, and if they have their own moveset, then why not?

Look, you don't have to play as a Mii, you don't have to play against people who play as a Mii. But they would be a good, and interesting addition that would-

a.) help sell the game to the casual gamer and nongamer
b.) once again, increase replay value a **** load. (in a game like SSB replay value is really your biggest concern)

You may not want to accept it, but the Mii IS now a Nintendo staple. They've stared in a number of games, (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Brain Age Wii) and have made cameos in quite a number of games. (Warioware Touched, Madden Wii) And you know what? Theyve only been around for six months. How many other Nintendo characters have been in 6 games in 6 months?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Are you all serious about Miis replacing the wireframes? That would be horrible! It would ruin the entire feeling of the game. The thing about SSB is that one strange or niche character wont ruin the game, but if you take something thats supposed to come off as mysterious and dark and turn it into miis... you've ruined part of the game. Miis could easily have their own moveset, and easily be customizable. If they were to become the new wireframes, not only would it kill the theme of those characters being flawed clones, but you would need to create a Mii moveset, and if they have their own moveset, then why not?

Look, you don't have to play as a Mii, you don't have to play against people who play as a Mii. But they would be a good, and interesting addition that would-

a.) help sell the game to the casual gamer and nongamer
b.) once again, increase replay value a **** load. (in a game like SSB replay value is really your biggest concern)

You may not want to accept it, but the Mii IS now a Nintendo staple. They've stared in a number of games, (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Brain Age Wii) and have made cameos in quite a number of games. (Warioware Touched, Madden Wii) And you know what? Theyve only been around for six months. How many other Nintendo characters have been in 6 games in 6 months?
Good explanation, Kudos to you:)

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
Just for a breif second here to add on to user name's comment, What is the best sellig game for the Wii?

Any hands?

The answer's Wii Sports.

But, just to be fair, there could be a better, non-Mii game that came in second, what is it?

Tic, tic, tic, tic

Times up, suvey says Wii Play.

Hmm... Who were playable in both those high selling games? Oh right, Miis.

Well, I guess the Proof is in the pudding. Miis are just moneymakers and they rock.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Just for a breif second here to add on to user name's comment, What is the best sellig game for the Wii?

Any hands?

The answer's Wii Sports.

But, just to be fair, there could be a better, non-Mii game that came in second, what is it?

Tic, tic, tic, tic

Times up, suvey says Wii Play.

Hmm... Who were playable in both those high selling games? Oh right, Miis.

Well, I guess the Proof is in the pudding. Miis are just moneymakers and they rock.
Forgive me for being a n00b for a minute, but.......wouldn't that be because Wii Sports comes with the Wii? Have I totally missed something?

And yes, Miis certainly are moneymakers in their own games. And that's due to the games themselves, not necessarily the Miis. The thing that got my mom and my sister to play Wii Sports with me is the fact that they got to get up off the couch and do something. The opportunity to play as a Mii that looked like them was a wonderful option, but not the initial draw.

Miis don't make their games fun. Miis are in games that are fun.

I'm not saying Miis won't or can't get in Brawl—they could. But I still really think people are putting far too much emphasis on them as characters. Wii games sell because of the Wii's unique gameplay.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Forgive me for being a n00b for a minute, but.......wouldn't that be because Wii Sports comes with the Wii? Have I totally missed something?

And yes, Miis certainly are moneymakers in their own games. And that's due to the games themselves, not necessarily the Miis. The thing that got my mom and my sister to play Wii Sports with me is the fact that they got to get up off the couch and do something. The opportunity to play as a Mii that looked like them was a wonderful option, but not the initial draw.

Miis don't make their games fun. Miis are in games that are fun.

I'm not saying Miis won't or can't get in Brawl—they could. But I still really think people are putting far too much emphasis on them as characters. Wii games sell because of the Wii's unique gameplay.

Wii Sports is the top selling Wii game in Japan - where the game is sold separatly.

I love Wii Sports, and I have to say a large part of the game's appeal (for me at least) can be credited to the Miis. Bowling is a blast in and of itself, but isn't is more fun when it's between V for Vendetta and Jack Bauer? I think so.

user_name

Smash Apprentice
The video game market is split into 3 general types of 'gamers' right now.

Hardcore gamers consist of about 10%
Casual gamers consist of about 80%
non-gamers consist of about 10%

Whats remarkable about games like Wii Sports is that it actually gets non-gamers (my parents) to play games! But you know what they seem to like to do even more then play Wii Sports? Design new Miis. Why? It's not challenging, not frustrating, hell, it doesn't feel to much like a video game! You're just expressing your creativity in these little characters you create. And do you know what the icing on the cake is? I spend a lot of time making Miis too. Not only is it attractive to the non-gamer, its attractive to EVERYONE because it's FUN.

I know this because its not only me who's captivated by designing Miis. Ive spent some time talking about and designing Miis with my hardcore gamer friends, as well as my casual gamer friends! That's 100% of the market right there! And you know what? They all play Wii Sports on top of that. Having a Mii in SSBB could possibly bring 100% of the gaming populous into the game!

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Wii Play came in a close second and it's basically fun for the very reason of Miis, and I bet that if someone could get data on which channel was used the most on te Wii it would be Disc Channel, then Mii Channel.

On another note, wouldn't it be freekin sweet for Miis to be in Brawl. I mean, it would be a first, not just for Brawl, but for games everywhere. Where else can you customise your fighters so much that you can make one look like and have the name of George Bush and another to be you! Just picture it. You enter a contest, you beat the compitition WITH YOURSELF! How cool would that be, you (Or a Mii you) fighting alonside the greats like Link and Mario? Answer: It. Would. Be. AWESOME!

Miis FTW!

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
I reckon Miis would be a great idea...I'm just not sure what moveset he would have...His smash attack would be similar to Peach I suppose, a golf club, tennis racket and a punch lol....

danroks

Smash Cadet
it wouldent be a good idea because the miis are plain lol and its not like they have weapons or powers example mario with fireball samus with rockets dk with strengh(lol cant spell)
miis dont have a power lol
(sorry if i sound nooby its my first time on the board and i dunno if my oppinions wud be taken well lol)

SonicMario

Smash Master
How about beating up your sibling's Mii? If your mad at them just say "I'm going upstairs to play some Wii". If they stay in one spot, you can beat up their Mii as a stress reliever! (Instead of them, and you won't get in trouble for it)

it wouldent be a good idea because the miis are plain lol and its not like they have weapons or powers example mario with fireball samus with rockets dk with strengh(lol cant spell)
miis dont have a power lol
(sorry if i sound nooby its my first time on the board and i dunno if my oppinions wud be taken well lol)
What about Jigglypuff, people probably 1st thought that she would be really weak. But she had that cheap move Rest (Bdown) that is useful even against Giga Bowser. And not to mention Peach's Bside, it pretty much lighted someone on fire for a short while. So don't go saying Miis would be weak in the sense in much more of a reputation to be strong. I would like the Mii to be all the same in Moveset and movement, but you get to choose which that one Mii looks like. (Or as another thing to add, they could LOL make the Miis have soem big muscles!)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
La di da~

Neutral B: The Mii will pull out a large boxing glove, and punch forward with it, covering a long range. It’s a risky move though, as from time to time, the large boxing glove will fall off, and the Mii will have a surprised shock over its head. The glove that fell off can be picked up and thrown like a weapon by either the Mii or the opponent.

Forward B: The Mii will wind up, and throw a bowling ball across the ground. The height is not good, but if it hits the opponent, it will cause damage, and make them fall down on the ground. If the opponent is guarding they will not take damage, but they will trip and fall anyway. Randomly, the Mii’s bowling ball will fall on it’s own foot, causing it to clutch its foot in pain.

Up B: The Mii will jump up with a basket ball, and slam it into a basket ball net that appears from thing air. The ball that goes through will fall down at a downwards angle, and hurt any opponent it hits. It if hits the ground it will bounce up once, then disappear. Randomly, the basket ball will accidentally hit the Mii in the face, causing them a small amount of damage, but it will not hamper their recovery.

Down B: The Mii swings his golf club against the ground, but messes up, causing a golf club to fly forward in a upwards arc, and then crash into the ground. It of course can damage the opponent, but randomly, the Mii will lose the golf club the opposite way, when he releases the club on the wind up.

FS: The Mii will make a vote channel, where several Miis vote on whether attack the opponent. 80% of the time agree to attack the opponent, and a portal opens. A horde of Mii’s fall though it, much like a human wave of Mii’s crashing forward, and across the stage. They will damage the opponents, when they pass by, and will disappear though a second portal on the opposite side of their path. If they agree to attack the player’s Mii, the wave won’t hurt the opponents, but can hurt the Mii.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I think Mii's would be great to have in SSBB. So many different possibilities can happen. And it would get more people into playing smash if they are Mii lovers. Thus, increasing the sales of SSBB.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Ithink if you got to play as a mii the final smash would be a bunch of soccorballs, golfballs, footballs (whatever games they were in's stuff) ext. would come flying down at everyone and you could throw them as your invinsibe for a limited amount of time... Or you could chose a FS out of the characters that already have them...

Star105

Smash Journeyman
Miis would be a very unique addition to SSBB but they would have to make them generic in order to allow them to be in the game and to work out restraints against the characterization.
the concept is very good and should but probably won't be implemented. though i hope that it will :):laugh:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Ithink if you got to play as a mii the final smash would be a bunch of soccorballs, golfballs, footballs (whatever games they were in's stuff) ext. would come flying down at everyone and you could throw them as your invinsibe for a limited amount of time... Or you could chose a FS out of the characters that already have them...
How would a "Giga Mii" work? (Bowser's FS :p)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Being the non-Mii supporter that I am, I have to jump at this chance to put down the idea of Miis again (sorry!).

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned how one of the things I disliked most about Miis being in Brawl is that they aren't really characters—they have no back story.

The fact that there is now a fleshed out story mode in Brawl seems to throw a monkey wrench in their ability to be in Brawl. I suppose they could be a unique case in that they just don't show up in the story mode but . . . that seems unlikely and unfair.

So, if they were to be in, what would their story be like? Now, I realize that it's entirely possible that the characters' back stories aren't referenced at all in Smash; they could just be given new plot lines and relationships within the Smash-verse. However, everyone seems to be under the definite impression that the hip and elbow we see here:

belong to a character from Pit's game (I forget her name, something like Pelutina?).

If this is the case, it would imply that Pit has some character specific plot points in his story, which in turn would imply that all characters have these same character exclusive stories.

Which brings me all the way back around to my original point: If Miis are in, what's their story?

Discuss?

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I just had a bit of a brainstorm for Miis in SSBB. What if instead of having a generic moveset for all of the potential Miis, what if you could choose a generic moveset for Miis you import from your Wii?

Bear with me for a second here. For instance, I'll use Soul Calibur III as an example. In that game when creating random characters. The weapons that you give the characters determines their movesets, so any random character with a staff has a basic, generic moveset to go along with it. They're still usable, just not particularly interesting. So what if in SSBB, when importing a Mii onto your Smash game, you choose what moveset you want for that Mii? Moreover, the only difference would be in the special moves, and the basic stats of the Mii. Some Miis will adhere to different character types. (It should be possible to have "heavy" and "light" Miis, for instance.)

Some ideas for generic Mii movesets:

Basic Mii: Wii Sports based. An average, or a light character..

Mallet Mii: A Mii that uses a mallet for its special moves. A "heavier" character.

Staff Mii (or Stick Mii, since I think the movesets should be more unthreatening, given the nature of the Miis) : A Mii that uses a staff. More lag, longer range. A little slower than Basic (Or of average speed and weight if the Basic is light.)

Uhh... Anything else I can't think of right now. Anybody got any ideas? (Or want to take a shot at fleshing out the actual movesets?)

And for anyone who says something along the lines of "But the other movesets don't have to do with the Miis games!" well all I have to say to you is that the very nature of the Miis are that they're custom characters, and thus it's only logical that players could have a hand in what kind of attacks they can do as well.

Croco

Smash Lord
Being the non-Mii supporter that I am, I have to jump at this chance to put down the idea of Miis again (sorry!).

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned how one of the things I disliked most about Miis being in Brawl is that they aren't really characters—they have no back story.

The fact that there is now a fleshed out story mode in Brawl seems to throw a monkey wrench in their ability to be in Brawl. I suppose they could be a unique case in that they just don't show up in the story mode but . . . that seems unlikely and unfair.

So, if they were to be in, what would their story be like? Now, I realize that it's entirely possible that the characters' back stories aren't referenced at all in Smash; they could just be given new plot lines and relationships within the Smash-verse. However, everyone seems to be under the definite impression that the hip and elbow we see here:

belong to a character from Pit's game (I forget her name, something like Pelutina?).

If this is the case, it would imply that Pit has some character specific plot points in his story, which in turn would imply that all characters have these same character exclusive stories.

Which brings me all the way back around to my original point: If Miis are in, what's their story?

Discuss?
I don't think Miis really need to have a back story to even be involved with the plot.
It could be possible to create a "Mii World" which the other characters discover.. like literary inside the Wii itself. Inside your Wii system battling on the main menu or a mix of everything.. etc.

Does Mr. Game & Watch even have a back story?
Ice Climbers?

So yeah.. I don't that the adventure mode will effect the Mii character's chance that greatly. I also don't think Sakurai would ignore such a fun feature of play as your Mii self in the SSB. Mii's are Nintendo characters.. They are you.. which makes you a character.. which means your Mii or Miis you create have any right to battle in Brawl.

moledork

Smash Cadet
miis in smash is the worst idea ever...sry for da 1 line post i just needed to get dat out lol

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think the Mii's would be awesome.

My only gripe is how will they do the "kirby hats"?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
make them a customized moveset

you use the wiimote and nunchuck to set teh moves to whatever

you cannot set the speed or the weight, just to keep it fair, cause we don't want a really small character to be heavier than bowser and faster than falcon at the same time

for example, a tall skinny mii will be the fastest mii while a short fat one will be the slowest

they should have a mii icon that first shows 2 icons, wiimote (for wiis stored in the mote) and a wii (for wiis stored in the wii), you choose, then all the names of the miis come up, there will be a standard moveset for each mii, but you can change it whenever you want

wither that or make a mii an assist trophy, it'll act like a clefairy from SSB64, randomly does another assist trophies move

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

Discuss?
My suspicion is that only the startinng characters will get backstories, not all the unlockable ones.

But IF Miis needed a backstory, it doesn't have to be any good.

"A bunch of happy-go-lucky Miis were out playing some sports (Tennis, Bowling, Baseball, Golf and Boxing - strangely enough) when suddenly a mysterious spaceship began dropping blobs of goo on their tennis court which then morfed into goo-men. Events ensue."

See? Was that so hard?

Miis for Brawl!

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Wiseguy's right, I know a lot of games that seem to have no backstory (or even a good plot) and were great games. For example: In Kirby's latest game, he goes on this great big quest because he thinks someone took his cake. That has little motivation, little back story, and yet, it's a good game. The ame can happen here.

To Venus: It could be that Kirby gets the Mii's hair and eyes.

To moledork: I ahve said it before and I'll say it again: 'Miis are stupid and don't go in Brawl' isn't a good argument. Tons of people ere have given great and legitiment reasond that Miis would be great in Brawl.

Top Bottom