• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Mii!

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
Wiseguy, Wiseguy, Wiseguy. Here you are defending Miis and yet your recent devotion to the Olimar thread has been unheard of! For shame! At least it's nice to know I've got someone to argue with again ^^.
What? Is it now illegal to like two characters? You can show support for more than one character, It is possible.

Actually, like I originally put, I think that the word "Avatar" is much more suitable for Miis and I still stand by that avatars have no real place in Smash Bros. An avatar can be considered a character, for sure, but I would say that the fact that they can be anyone does take away from my wanting them to be in Brawl. The entire fact that there is no single Mii is completely different from the example of a Pokemon like Pichu because all Pichus are the same in appearance, in the moves that they have and learn, in the fact they evolve into Pikachu, the only quibble is with that many Pokemon need to be justified by personality. However every Mii is different like how every human is different and yet belongs to the same race which is not true of the Pokemon world. Comparing the Mii and Pokemon just isn't valid really, and also the fact that any Pokemon that are like Pichu (no singluar one) are pretty much outdated from the roster now except for special circumstances like the PT. It is rather ironic that in your comparison of Pichu and Mii you seemed to have chosen the one character on the entire Melee roster that no-one wants returning and no-one knows why the hell it was put on in the first place. Food for thought.
Hmm, that food for though tasted pretty cheap. Sure they're avatars, but casual gamers love 'em. You say 'I think avatars have no place in Brawl' but every single statistic, from Wii Play being one of the highest selling Wii games (Right behind Wii Sports) to another Mii-centric channel in the works, every one loves Mis. Putting them in Brawl is an obvious way to gain casual gamer appeal.

Game and Watch may have no character development or distinct personality, but that is merely because his games never called for one. He is still Game and Watch, he is still a distinct character and he is not like a Mii in that he isn't just an avatar. Game and Watch is the same in every game and yet, every Mii is different.
Au Contraire, Mr. Game and Watch didn't even have a name and not every game starred exactly him (For all we know Mr. Game and Watch is one of many Game and Watches) and Miis are definitly more interesting than him. Mr.GAW had retro appeal Miis have casual appeal

You're using real as in the sense of existing, and yet real can also be ascribed to something to determine how much like the thing something is trying to be really is. Like a footballer that stands on the pitch and never once touches a football, is he really a footballer? He's in a football team, on the pitch during a match but that is the extent that he is a footballer. You could argue that he is one, you could argue that he's not a real footballer, not really. He's technically playing football, but only just (if you argue this point, imagine a goalie that doesn't have to save a shot all match/ball never goes in their half, he's still playing football but he just doesn't have to do anything). Miis I would categorise in the same way that they aren't really videogame characters, not in the way that Link is (another character that is in some way an avatar). I'm also not questioning the fact that they clearly are a videogame character in that they are "characters" in videogames, it would be stupid to say that they do not qualify under the literal definition. However to say that they are videogame characters in the same way as the legends of videogaming and should be included in Brawl is a leap of the imagination.
Now that's just mean. Miis are just as much a character as Ness is (They have that many games) They've been in A LOT of suceessful games. Like I said Wii Play outsold Twilight Princess. What does that tell you about appeal?

Of course, all characters (that have appeared on a Nintendo console) have a chance in that regard. However, I am here debating the worthiness of the Mii, as are you. Our opinions at the end of the day don't matter whatsoever, but it's always fun to argue.
True, true. Good to keep reality in mind, seeing as the winner gets no real prize (If there even is a winner

The examples you picked are rather silly, since I never said that all characters will be the same with the same art styles, maturity of graphics or only conventional, predictable characters will get in. However I beg to differ that Snake is not a Nintendo all-star since despite being 3rd party and his games now appearing on Sony machines. He is still playable on Nintendo consoles (Gamecube) and his origins were on Nintendo consoles such as the NES in the original games. He does not belong to Nintendo, but he is still (now more of a retro) star of the Nintendo platforms.
However you did also manage to miss what I was trying to say entirely. I mean, entirely. What I was trying to point out there was that in the main franchise games such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid you never get to play as the badguys and never get to fight against the good guys. Smash Bros. is the place to turn all that on it's head and fight your beloved heroes as the villains. That is the purpose of Smash Brothers, since the selling appeal of the original was exactly that, fight with your favourite Nintendo characters against each other! Or not so favourite, in Pichu's case. >.>

Miis have no place in the main franchises to be honest, the party minigames yes but otherwise no. I would be angry if you could play through Super Mario Galaxy as your own Mii, because it'd be completely missing the point of Super Mario Galaxy. If you don't agree with that, then there is no hope for you my friend ^^. [/QUOTE]

True as it may be, past Smash Bros. games hold true to that, but if I was Sakurai, seeing the emmense populairity of the Miis I would definitely would want to cash in on that populairity. It isn't a matter of if they fit in (Because I thought that a lot of caracters don't fit in with each other) This is a game where any Nintendo character can get in, wether they're a transforming character or a copying character, they all (No matter how diffrent) get to star in the same game.

The idea of a tank in Brawl isn't to my liking, but you cannot build a fully fleshed out unique and interesting moveset based on Cow Racing and Tanks. Creating a completely new moveset from scratch wouldn't make sense because surely the idea of including Miis was to pay homage to all the minigames Miis are in, making them famous through Wii Sports and Wii Play, in addition to allowing people to play as their own customisable Brawl character? That'd like be including Link and including none of his moves from the games, surely?
Oh, how untrue. There are many fleshed out movesets for Miis, If you use the handy dandy search function you can easily find tons. II myself even made one that I posted here a while ago.

I'll never understand the appeal of wanting to play as a pop culture icon in Brawl.
Well, the rest of the world seems to understand.

The problem that all of the characters aren't attempting to be something other than what they are. A Mii attempts to be everyone and everything and yet Samus is always going to be Samus and even the Pokemon Trainer only attempts to be the Pokemon Trainer. You can't have a generic Mii moveset, flat out across the board, that would fit all the personas of the Mii. Every PT uses Pokemon to fight, but *sigh* (I hate having to keep using this example) Chuck Norris doesn't fight in the same way that Jesus would. While it wouldn't be a problem for Miis concerning you, the appeal of fighting as a real life person or fictional character is lost when that character has a moveset that in no way correlates to how they'd actually fight.
True, True, but I can see slightly dffrent stats based on weight and height. I can also picture diffrences between male and female, but seriously. Has Jesus ever fought? I picture his movestyle a lot like Chucks.

You are a real person. A Mii of you is trying to imitate that real thing, which is you. Putting Miis into Brawl would be allowing any real person to have a cartoony caricature look-a-like in the game. I would go so far as to say that a cartoony version of you is slightly more real than an entirely fictitious character. A Mii in some ways is you and in other, more obvious ways, isn't. If you argue against this point, then you're completely nullifying the appeal that having a Mii in Brawl is like playing as yourself.
And playing as a more realistic character is a bad thing?

However, I doubt the prospect of being able to play as themselves would so much attract the casual gamer since it's the type of game that attracts people, not merely being able to play as themselves. I wouldn't buy a pony focused minigame compilation because it had Solid Snake in it, because whatever way you to try to dress it up in some hardcore appeal it's still an incredibly lackluster casual game.
You have a point, but it won't only attract the casual gaming commeseuir. It will also bring a new experience. If a Heavier Mii has less knockback and a lighter Mii has more than there you have the solution to an age old problem. You don't need to wear someone elses shoes. If Bowser is too heavy for you, you can make a Mii especially designed for your needs in combat. It's perfect, it brilliant. It's Brawlworthy.

'Nuff said.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
I think we can easily draw a 'bottom line' here, to show that Miis do indeed qualify for Brawl.

1. A Mii is a Nintendo character.
2. They have as much personality as G&W or Pichu.
3. They can be given a moveset as easily as Fox.

You cannot argue with this. Opinions are welcome.

Vali

Smash Ace
While my post was more aimed at Wiseguy, Jimmy, I do have to question "Miis are just as much a character as Ness" in particular. They aren't, basically. That and the reminder that Wii Play comes with an extra controller at an overall added cost of $5 wasn't it? If Twilight Princess was only $5 and the best way to get an extra Wiimote, I'm sure a hell of a lot of casual players wouldn't have minded giving it a try. About the designing a Mii specific for your combat needs, I believe that people would rather prefer to try a lighter character already in the game or the fact that you might like Bowser's moveset but find him too heavy wouldn't necessarily lead you to creating a slightly lighter Mii because the moveset for the Mii is still completely different.

For Susu

1. Strictly speaking yes, but is much more of an avatar than a fully fledged character. Fully fledged characters for Brawl please.
2. Both examples you mention are at great risk of not returning to Brawl at all. Doesn't really say much for your argument.
3. Any character can be given a completely new moveset that is within the limitations of their character design (can't fire lasers from your eyes if you don't have laser eyes), this does not qualify a character to be included in Brawl otherwise you may as well add in every character that's ever starred on a Nintendo platform.

Your 3 justifications could be applied across the board to a plethora of rubbish characters that no-one wants in, and only demonstrates to me that there is nothing going for the Miis other than "casual appeal", which I'm still not convinced about. See my "Snake's Little Ponies" paragraph for reference. Brawl will sell loads because it's an incredible game, not because it's trying to (in the words of Jimmy) "Cash in on the Mii popularity".

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Brawl will make money regardless, but some added dough from the casual gamer is not a crime. All I ask is this: Why not? You say that Brawl was made for only the All-Stars, key word: WAS. Brawl has already changed the way we look at Smash Bros. As I have said, If someone suggested the Idea of a 2-D character, or a Transforming character, or playing as Popo and Nana, before Melee came out they would have been told it wasn't worthy of Smash Bros. Same with Miis, they may be as you say "Just Avatars" but they are much more that that. They can open whole new windows to Brawl. Customability.

plus, they are the poster boys for the Wii now. They are the brain child of Myamoto (Who still has some influence in the game) and symbolize the future of the Wii, they stand for Casual Gaming. They are not a full fledged character, that's true, they're more than that. They are a symbol. They are an icon for the future of gaming. They are the ones who say: Screw graphics! Let's make a game that eveyone can play! And if you cannot see that great truth, then darn it, say Miis won't get in. But I think that if these incredible symbols, these beacons of hope in the dark time that is a fog that keeps casual gamers out of video games, then I most certainly think that they deserve a spot in Brawl!

Phew, that was very moving, hope I didn't over do it.

Vali

Smash Ace
Transformations were an innovation, 2D characters less so but still G+W was pretty unique. Same way that 3rd party characters in Brawl have been a (quite) welcome and awesome surprise. Plus it's Smash Bros. that's being made for Nintendo All-stars and still is being made, 'cause I don't think Brawl has been made yet ^^.

Having merely an avatar playable is more of a waste of a decent slot for me than anything else. It isn't an innovation to gameplay to me and a 2D character isn't unrealistic in a fighter which you can only move in 2 planes (2D). Customisable characters are fine in the form of costumes, so to speak, as they offer a slight variation in the appearance of the Nintendo character which will hopefully be brought to the next level with Brawl with a bit more than just colour changes going on. However that would severely increase production time.

Miis are the flagship of Nintendo Casual. Mario is still very much so the poster boy for all things Nintendo and Miis merely are just the new symbol for casual gaming that has been revolutionised with the Wii (and DS). This does not justify their inclusion in Brawl. Brawl is not aimed at the casual crowd in the same way that Metroid and Super Mario Galaxy are not. They are made to be accessible to everyone but games like that just don't appeal to casual gamers, the market which Nintendo is reaching out to. This is why there is still very much so "hardcore" Nintendo games like Brawl coming out and why there are specific games tailored to the wants of the casual community such as Wii Fit. Great, Mum, Dad and Gran are playing Wii Sports together, but would they want to pop in Brawl because you can play as yourself? Of course not, I've said it must be 3 times now but I'll say it once more, clearly, again:

It is not the appeal of the Mii which draws casual gamers to a game, but rather the game itself. They would not want to play a hardcore tailored game such as Brawl, or Metroid or Galaxy, on the inclusion of a single character (Mii), because it is the game itself that justifies the $50 purchase not the character.

You would not want to play "Solid Snake in 'My Little Pony'" just because it has Solid Snake in it.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
What I meant by was is that it's anyone's game now. With wacky stuff like 3rd Parties and PT, anything can happen. Miis are unlikely, but wasn't PT? To your comment on 'Solid Snake's: My Little Pony'. This is diffrent from that. It's like If they let you play as Mario or Link in Wii Play, you are more likely to buy it. Final Fantasy and Mario fans were happy when Mario Hoops: 3 on 3 came out. Normally Final Fantasy Fans (Or at least the ones I know) think that Mario is too kiddy. So if FF fans don't like Mario, why put them together? Money. And transition. Get FF fans a taste of Mario. Same here, give Casual Fans a taste of hardcore gaming without pushing them into the deep end. I tthink Miis deserve a spot more that some of the suggestions I've heard (Munchlax!?) and Miis would just fit in with the unique cast of Brawl. Just picture the campaign: Mario. Link. Pikachu. YOU. Yes, you can be in the greatest fighting game EVER! I mean, with a campaign like that, how can people not buy the product? Now you say that's it's a waste of a slot. I think it definitely is a good use of a slot. If you look at Wiseguy's Brawl Predictions you will see a perfectly acceptable list of characters, including Miis. If you can give me a better use for the spot Miis take up, feel free to tell me. If not quit complainin'.

'Nuff said.

Vali

Smash Ace
I'm fully aware of his list and it also includes Munchlax does it not? I really must disagree though.

All the games such as Mario 3on3 Hoops are still hardcore games. Games like Picross DS and Wii Sport and Wii Fit are casual games, and I would certainly not pay full price for a fully casual game because it had a cameo from a Nintendo character, I ask which self-respecting hardcore gamer would? My example of Snake in My Little Pony is perfectly relevant. Smash Brothers is a game aimed specifically at the hardcore crowd, it's a franchise born in the time of no casual gamers and like all Beat-em-ups it doesn't leave much room to change to a casual game.

My example puts a character that's only ever starred in games aimed at hardcore, not casual, games into one that could only ever be thought of as purely casual. Like 12 year old girl who has a pink DS casual. You wouldn't buy it just because of the inclusion of Solid Snake, it's far far too much money to throw away. Your example, Miis in Brawl, puts an avatar character that is aimed specifically at casual gaming, so much so they're now the icon of casual gaming, into a hardcore game and expect people who would never think of playing such a game all of a sudden shell out $50+ of cash (dunno how much Wii games are in America) into a franchise they all but certainly have no interest in. If they enjoyed games like Smash Bros. then they'd most likely not be waiting for the inclusion of Miis to purchase it, but they'd already have Melee because they'd be a hardcore gamer.

You'd need a more clever ad campaign than that to sell hardcore games to the casual crowd. It would be like selling casual games to the hardcore crowd.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Now you cannot flip flop like that. HArdcore gamers may not buy into casual games, but caasual gamers most certainly will play hardcore games if they have Miis: Case in point: Madden 08. A hardcore game with Mii capabilities. casuals like that kind of thing. When in a harcore game, seeing something casual id their anchor. If Madden (A respectable game franchise) does it, why not Brawl? And if you don't play casual games because they have a character you like, tell me: Did you buy Mario Tennis? IT's no diffrent from Wii Tennis (Minus the Wii capabilities, but that's not the point) it's casual, but hardcore gamers play it because it has Mario characters.

'Nuff said

Vali

Smash Ace
Do you have any proof that a load of casuals bought Madden? Let alone purely on the Mii? They included family and party modes to increase casual appeal along with the inclusion of Mii but I bet that over 90% of the people that bought it were hardcore gamers buying it for the better controls. The Wii version was the best one out of the platforms for Madden 07 after all.

Mario sports games aren't really all that casual. The only reason why people love Wii Sports is because of the innovative controls, otherwise it's an extremely below average sports compliation package. That is why the casual market has only started expanding now, and if you were to believe that casuals bought into Mario Tennis back on the N64 considering how expensive the cartridges and console were then you'd be wrong. There's a very big gap between the Mario sports games (which carry some casual appeal) and casual games which are tailored specifically towards that crowd.

Casual games tend not to be very heavy in the gameplay department and are often electronic versions of things like Soduku or Picross or things such as Brain Training, Nintendogs or Wii Fit. That is in no way comparable to any casual appeal that Brawl has, which is far less than any sports game. Sports games + minigame compilations have casual appeal, especially Nintendo branded ones, but even that is very limited. If the casual market was interested in all the previous Mario spinoffs then there would've been a steady surge in the casual market around the time of their release instead of only seeing it happen since the release of the Wii.

Unless you can provide some sort of proof that the inclusion purely of Miis into Madden is helping shift a ton of games to the casual market, I'm not buying the "Miis will help sell Brawl to the casuals". There's a difference between saying that hardcore buy casual sports games just because of Mario when in reality those games aren't that casual at all and the reason most of us buy it is because of the excellent quality of game to be found therein :).

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
YEs, but Miis will fight in their boxing game (Proof that the casual gamer will fight) so why not fight in Brawl? But let's face it. Nintendo LOVES Miis. Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music, Wii Fit, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Madden 08, Mario Party 8, Pachinko: Sammy's Collection, and Another Mii Oriented Channel. And that's just the tip of the iceburg. Trust me, Miis will be in A LOT of games, hardcore or not.

'Nuff said.

Vali

Smash Ace
YEs, but Miis will fight in their boxing game (Proof that the casual gamer will fight) so why not fight in Brawl? But let's face it. Nintendo LOVES Miis. Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music, Wii Fit, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Madden 08, Mario Party 8, Pachinko: Sammy's Collection, and Another Mii Oriented Channel. And that's just the tip of the iceburg. Trust me, Miis will be in A LOT of games, hardcore or not.

'Nuff said.
Apart from _maybe_ Madden 08, you didn't name a single hardcore game but I don't think it really constitutes with it's aforementioned family and party modes. That's because (like you said), Miis are the flagship for Nintendo's casual games. Also, Boxing proved to be the most unpopular for the Wii Sports games. But still, Miis will be in a lot of casual games for sure but the phrase "hardcore or not" does not follow on from that logic. Just an induction I'm afraid.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Meh, they can put Miis in, IT's just a question of will they? I think so. They have characters that represent diffrent games in vastly diffrent varieties. Game and Watch is nothing like Metroid! Star Fox isn't like Pokemon! Mario isn't like Wii Play. It can happen. If they break from the stride of Nintendo only, why not break from the pattern of only including characters from non-casual games? In fact It's become a pattern for them to NOT follow the usual pattern. No Nintendo Only. Adding A Story Mode. Having Such Odd Characters Like PT or Moves Like Wario's Waft. Add Casual Games. They've included Animal Crossing, one of the most mundane games out there, why not have Miis? They open a lot more possibilities than AC and it's an offer too good to pass up. Casual appeal, Custom Characters. It's just such a good idea, and you're hung up on "They're not fully fledged charaacters"

'Nuff said

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
Very heated debate goin on here. May I intervene?

Miis are too valuable to Nintendo to not include in Brawl.

Nintendo wants money. In order to get money they must sell- alot. How will they sell alot of Brawl games to all ages? Include Sonic? Of course! Let them play with stickers? Yes! Include the Miis they love to create? Genius!

Nintendo knows what they are doing. They know almost everyone with a Wii has atleast created one Mii. So if, for whatever reason, they buy Brawl, they will have someone familar to play with.

i.e- "Look Daddy! Its you and your beating up Mario and Sonic! That was fun! Now im goin to use Uncle Jimmy to beat up Pikachu and a monkey! Woot!"

People young and old will love using their Miis in Brawl. Most buyers wont think "This character is a generic avatar and has no background". And for those who dont like Miis for Vali-ish reason simply will not use them.
Alot of people dont like Pokemon, yet still love Smash and play despite them. True gamers dont see one character in a game and pout "I dont like this game anymore". That is ridiculous.

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
Mii's sound like a simple, yet fun addition to me. If people are right about PT not having a name and just being kinda generic so you can imagine you ARE the pokemon trainer, than they should take this interactivity concept to the next level and include Miis. Just give 'em an generic body like they did in Wii Sports and plop your head on top. Like I said, simple to do, yet it'd be an awesome addtion. DJ Napps has a good point, too. One reason I'll play Melee is to beat the crap out of some anoying character like Pichu when I'm feeling bored. So, it'd be awesome to take it to the next level and ACTUALLY beat the crap out of Pichu (but I better not be beating the crap out of Pichu specifically, because if he's in brawl i think I'll hurl).

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Meh, they can put Miis in, IT's just a question of will they? I think so. They have characters that represent diffrent games in vastly diffrent varieties. Game and Watch is nothing like Metroid! Star Fox isn't like Pokemon! Mario isn't like Wii Play. It can happen.
Yes, it can happen. I actually think Miis do have a fair shot at being in Brawl. Nintendo certainly does seem to be Mii-happy, but I stand by the fact that Miis don't necessarily belong in everything. And honestly, if there's one game that I don't think needs Miis, it's Brawl. Part of the charm of Brawl is the fact that you're playing as recognizable, established video game characters. True enough, the series has shown that it's subject to change. In Melee, we saw the addition of retro(IC's and G&W) and even never-before-seen (Marth and particularly Roy) character. Now, in Brawl, we see the addition of third parties. The series has proven that it's willing to try new things. That doesn't mean it should, in this case.

True enough, if Miis are in Brawl, I simply won't play as them. Doesn't really effect how much I'll enjoy the game. But if I'm being really honest, it WILL bother me a bit that people will be playing the game in several places as (using Vali's tried and true example) Chuck Norris, duking it out with George Bush. That just isn't the game I've fallen in love with. The selfish part of me wants to keep other people from turning the game into a boring "Mii vs. Mii" game. If you want to fight with a Mii, play boxing on Wii Sports. If that's not good enough for you, and you want to play Brawl since it's obviously a much higher quality beat-'em-up, then Miis clearly aren't that big a deal, are they?

If they break from the stride of Nintendo only, why not break from the pattern of only including characters from non-casual games? In fact It's become a pattern for them to NOT follow the usual pattern. No Nintendo Only. Adding A Story Mode. Having Such Odd Characters Like PT or Moves Like Wario's Waft. Add Casual Games.
The problem isn't really that they'd be "breaking a pattern". It's that they're "breaking the pattern the game was built for". Yes, the third parties have put a dent in the "Nintendo all-stars" concept, but the "all-stars" part was always what was most important. Whether they be retro or even not well-known, every character in Smash up to this point has been iconic. I believe that standard should stay in place. Miis are not iconic, as far as I'm concerned. You may disagree, but it doesn't change my mind. I can only hope that the big wigs on Sakurai's team share my view.

They've included Animal Crossing, one of the most mundane games out there, why not have Miis?
So far, all we've seen is a stage and an item. Using Animal Crossing as an example doesn't hold very strong considering an Animal Crossing character hasn't been confirmed for Brawl. By comparing Miis to AC, you imply that Miis deserve a stage and an item.

They open a lot more possibilities than AC and it's an offer too good to pass up. Casual appeal, Custom Characters. It's just such a good idea, and you're hung up on "They're not fully fledged charaacters"
That's all your opinion. It doesn't change mine, and I doubt it changes Vali's. You're welcome to think Miis are a good idea, but I heartily disagree. Where you see casual appeal and the ability to customize, I see Paris Hilton headbutting Chuck Norris in the ribs—and I don't like it.

'Nuff said
I don't know if you did this intentionally, but you've ended at least the past 4 or 5 posts with this little line. Reading over your back-and-forth with Vali, I found this quite annoying (not that my opinion should matter all that much to you). It kind of seemed like you were trying to seal off the debate, like your posts were undeniable evidence of Miis' worth in Brawl or something. It just bothered me.

[/done sounding like a total jerk]

I realize there are a few posts I skipped over for this one, but that's because I believe I responded to pretty much everything with this.

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
I realize there are a few posts I skipped over for this one, but that's because I believe I responded to pretty much everything with this.
I doubt this is what you meant, but it just seems that the longer threads get, the more we just get locked into a habit of repeating the same things and arguments over and over with different people.

I think that Miis would be new and refreshing...

'Nuff said :p

Seriously, I think that Miis have a very good chance of getting in, but have a very good chance of not getting in too. I doubt know how many times I've said this now in various threads for things like this, but only time will tell...

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Wiseguy, Wiseguy, Wiseguy. Here you are defending Miis and yet your recent devotion to the Olimar thread has been unheard of! For shame! At least it's nice to know I've got someone to argue with again ^^.
Looking back on my comments, it seems to me that I pretty much flamed you, Vali. I apologize, I just got really into the argument for some reason and got carried away...

I agree that I really should post on the Olimar thread more often, but to be honest it's the sort of thread that has difficulty holding my attention. Like the Ridley and Diddy Kong thread, Olimar's character thread has little actual debate since no sane individual would question his worthiness in Brawl. Conversely, the idea of Mii sharply divides people, so see some interesting debates (like this one.)

Regardless, I will attempt to make a point of visiting (and bumping, if necessary) the Olimar thread. Olimar is THE coolest potential newcomer, and he deserves better.

Actually, like I originally put, I think that the word "Avatar" is much more suitable for Miis and I still stand by that avatars have no real place in Smash Bros. An avatar can be considered a character, for sure, but I would say that the fact that they can be anyone does take away from my wanting them to be in Brawl. The entire fact that there is no single Mii is completely different from the example of a Pokemon like Pichu because all Pichus are the same in appearance, in the moves that they have and learn, in the fact they evolve into Pikachu, the only quibble is with that many Pokemon need to be justified by personality. However every Mii is different like how every human is different and yet belongs to the same race which is not true of the Pokemon world. Comparing the Mii and Pokemon just isn't valid really, and also the fact that any Pokemon that are like Pichu (no singluar one) are pretty much outdated from the roster now except for special circumstances like the PT. It is rather ironic that in your comparison of Pichu and Mii you seemed to have chosen the one character on the entire Melee roster that no-one wants returning and no-one knows why the hell it was put on in the first place. Food for thought.
True enough. Pokemon are a slightly different issue, and Pichu isn't the ideal example - but the fact remains that Pichu (as well as Pikachu and Jiglypuff if you don't count the anime') were included as playable characters even though they aren't individuals in the same way that Mario and Link are. While this isn't conclusive, it does show that Sakurai is not against the idea of including a generic character if the situation warrents their inclusion.

However, you you seem to agree that an avitar can still qualify as a videogame character - which was my main argument.

Game and Watch may have no character development or distinct personality, but that is merely because his games never called for one. He is still Game and Watch, he is still a distinct character and he is not like a Mii in that he isn't just an avatar. Game and Watch is the same in every game and yet, every Mii is different.
Wii Sports doesn't really call for character development either. My point being that character development is not a prerequisite to being a character in Smash Bros.

Well...he isn't a character. Or at least not a real one. Whereas he does have a defined shape/height/weight and no personality, I would go as far as to say that he is merely just a non-customisable avatar for the player. Yet on his own, I doubt he would've got into the Brawl roster as I believe his addition is justified by spectating and commanding the 3 Pokemon which are included with him. The PT never fights and he's not really his own character and so putting him as a character in a fighting game by himself would be foolish. But to include him not fighting, not playing as such, but commanding the established and loved original starting Pokemon? Genius.
In most games (such as Wii Sports) Miis have a set height and weight as well. Only their facial features is customizable.

And yes, Pokemon Trainer is utter brilliance. I'm excited about this character, and I don't even like Pokemon!

You're using real as in the sense of existing, and yet real can also be ascribed to something to determine how much like the thing something is trying to be really is. Like a footballer that stands on the pitch and never once touches a football, is he really a footballer? He's in a football team, on the pitch during a match but that is the extent that he is a footballer. You could argue that he is one, you could argue that he's not a real footballer, not really. He's technically playing football, but only just (if you argue this point, imagine a goalie that doesn't have to save a shot all match/ball never goes in their half, he's still playing football but he just doesn't have to do anything). Miis I would categorise in the same way that they aren't really videogame characters, not in the way that Link is (another character that is in some way an avatar). I'm also not questioning the fact that they clearly are a videogame character in that they are "characters" in videogames, it would be stupid to say that they do not qualify under the literal definition. However to say that they are videogame characters in the same way as the legends of videogaming and should be included in Brawl is a leap of the imagination.
I see what your getting at, but if you look at characters like Link and Mario - they started out as very crude, simple character designs with little personality. It was the incredible gameplay in their games that set them apart, not Link's unforgettable personality.

I would never ague that Mii is ultimate character that every other game character should aspire to be, but they do have a destinct, simple and quirky personality in their own right. Just becuase they race cows and play tennis instead of jumping on Goombas doesn't make them benchwarmers to Mario's quarterback.

Of course, all characters (that have appeared on a Nintendo console) have a chance in that regard. However, I am here debating the worthiness of the Mii, as are you. Our opinions at the end of the day don't matter whatsoever, but it's always fun to argue.
You are right, of course. I guess that sounded pretty preachy.... sorry.

The examples you picked are rather silly, since I never said that all characters will be the same with the same art styles, maturity of graphics or only conventional, predictable characters will get in. However I beg to differ that Snake is not a Nintendo all-star since despite being 3rd party and his games now appearing on Sony machines. He is still playable on Nintendo consoles (Gamecube) and his origins were on Nintendo consoles such as the NES in the original games. He does not belong to Nintendo, but he is still (now more of a retro) star of the Nintendo platforms.
Technically, the original Metal Gear debuted on the MSX2, and was later ported to the NEs - but your point stands.

Yeah, I clearly exagerated, but my point was that Smash Bros isn't just for one type of gamer. It's a game that fans of Mario, Pokemon, Metroid, Metal Gear and everyone in between can enjoy. Saying that the millions of people who love Wii Sports don't count rubs me the wrong way, frankly.

However you did also manage to miss what I was trying to say entirely. I mean, entirely. What I was trying to point out there was that in the main franchise games such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid you never get to play as the badguys and never get to fight against the good guys. Smash Bros. is the place to turn all that on it's head and fight your beloved heroes as the villains. That is the purpose of Smash Brothers, since the selling appeal of the original was exactly that, fight with your favourite Nintendo characters against each other! Or not so favourite, in Pichu's case. >.>

Miis have no place in the main franchises to be honest, the party minigames yes but otherwise no. I would be angry if you could play through Super Mario Galaxy as your own Mii, because it'd be completely missing the point of Super Mario Galaxy. If you don't agree with that, then there is no hope for you my friend ^^.
Okay, I'll admit that Miis don't belong in EVERY videogame (Miis in Galaxy or Prime 3 would be pushing it) but if ever there was a game that Miis would be perfect for, Super Smash Bros is it. As you said, Smash Bros is about all our favorite Nintendo characters duking it out - and Mii qualifies. There are people who love Miis, as is made evident by the various websites devoted to them: www.miiplaza.net .

This a game with characters ranging from Solid Snake to Pokmon Trainer. Clearly, Sakurai welcomes characters from every background.

The idea of a tank in Brawl isn't to my liking, but you cannot build a fully fleshed out unique and interesting moveset based on Cow Racing and Tanks. Creating a completely new moveset from scratch wouldn't make sense because surely the idea of including Miis was to pay homage to all the minigames Miis are in, making them famous through Wii Sports and Wii Play, in addition to allowing people to play as their own customisable Brawl character? That'd like be including Link and including none of his moves from the games, surely?
Combine Cow Racing and Tanks with Boxing and other sports and you do have the makings for a pretty unique moveset. As for unique moves, I was thinking more along the lines of simple punches and kicks.

My point being, it's surely conceivable that a cool moveset could be made for the character.

I'll never understand the appeal of wanting to play as a pop culture icon in Brawl.
Fine, but I can't see the appeal of Pokemon. That doesn't mean that I'm against their inclusion.

The problem that all of the characters aren't attempting to be something other than what they are. A Mii attempts to be everyone and everything and yet Samus is always going to be Samus and even the Pokemon Trainer only attempts to be the Pokemon Trainer. You can't have a generic Mii moveset, flat out across the board, that would fit all the personas of the Mii. Every PT uses Pokemon to fight, but *sigh* (I hate having to keep using this example) Chuck Norris doesn't fight in the same way that Jesus would. While it wouldn't be a problem for Miis concerning you, the appeal of fighting as a real life person or fictional character is lost when that character has a moveset that in no way correlates to how they'd actually fight.
I think you underestimate how easily the average person can be amused. When playing Wii Boxing, for example, it doesn't matter that every character fights the same. It's still hilarious to see Batman and Chewbacca squaring off.

If Miis are included and if their moveset is enjoyable to play as, having the ability to fight as your favorite Mii would be highly amusing to many people.

You are a real person. A Mii of you is trying to imitate that real thing, which is you. Putting Miis into Brawl would be allowing any real person to have a cartoony caricature look-a-like in the game. I would go so far as to say that a cartoony version of you is slightly more real than an entirely fictitious character. A Mii in some ways is you and in other, more obvious ways, isn't. If you argue against this point, then you're completely nullifying the appeal that having a Mii in Brawl is like playing as yourself.
Okay, I see your point. But honestly, that point doesn't really bother me, though I agree that others would be bothered by it. I suppose it really depends on which group Sakurai falls into.

However, I doubt the prospect of being able to play as themselves would so much attract the casual gamer since it's the type of game that attracts people, not merely being able to play as themselves. I wouldn't buy a pony focused minigame compilation because it had Solid Snake in it, because whatever way you to try to dress it up in some hardcore appeal it's still an incredibly lackluster casual game.

Looking forward to the next wall of pain ^^;.
The beauty of Smash Bros is that it is considered both an ultra-harcore fighting game and a casual party game. The sight of Mario and Mii on the cover might just be enough to dupe the millions of Mario Party 8 players into buying a truly great game. And if any game can turn a casual gamer into a full fledged Nintendo fan, it's Smash Bros.

blinkd

Smash Cadet
really great analysis, and great idea,but i really don't think it is likely

max_da_ling

Smash Cadet
Seems likely to me, Nintendo wants to utilize the Mii's as much as they can, and including one in Brawl puts a creative spin on adding your own characters to the roster, as well as yourself. Giving the Mii a specific moveset and allowing the user to customize it anyway is an interesting idea, I think it's likely to appear as the Game and Watch of this game.

Lok

Smash Cadet
Customising the moveset WOULD be great, but then noone would want to play anyone else but them-selves and make themselves with the best stats, moves, ect, and noone would want to play online battles for fear of all these noobs with an incredably rediculous character. I think the moveset should be preset, causing less explosion, or make a limit on how many Stat Points can be placed.

Lok

Smash Cadet
Like.... You can change how strong/fast they are? That'd be pretty awesome, so long as there was a limit to how many points were able to be put on.

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
They'd have to be very careful with a feature like this though. I don't want to comprimise the whole game just so they can make Miis customizable. Maybe they could have a few different set stats. Like one "heavy" power set, one "speedy" power set, and one "rounded" power set. Or they could just keep the same attacks for each one and change just change their attacking and running speed, power, and attack delay. Whatever. I personally want Miis to be involved in this game somehow, someway. But I don't want it to ruin the game in general.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Yeah, there's a limit, but It's not like you can see the stats displayed right in front of you. It would depend on the Height and Weight of the selected Mii. Heavier Miis are well, heavier. Lighter miis are floaty. Tall Miis are laggy and jump high with long range, short Miis are sturdy, quick, and jump low. And I think Males and Females will be diffrent too. (Males are strong, Females are agile)

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there's a limit, but It's not like you can see the stats displayed right in front of you. It would depend on the Height and Weight of the selected Mii. Heavier Miis are well, heavier. Lighter miis are floaty. Tall Miis are laggy and jump high with long range, short Miis are sturdy, quick, and jump low. And I think Males and Females will be diffrent too. (Males are strong, Females are agile)
Oh, I see what you mean now. Sounds like a very awesome idea if they can balance it, which doesn't seem like it'd be that hard.

Vali

Smash Ace
Looking back on my comments, it seems to me that I pretty much flamed you, Vali. I apologize, I just got really into the argument for some reason and got carried away...
Didn't really notice, but apology accepted. ^^;

I agree that I really should post on the Olimar thread more often, but to be honest it's the sort of thread that has difficulty holding my attention. Like the Ridley and Diddy Kong thread, Olimar's character thread has little actual debate since no sane individual would question his worthiness in Brawl. Conversely, the idea of Mii sharply divides people, so see some interesting debates (like this one.)

Regardless, I will attempt to make a point of visiting (and bumping, if necessary) the Olimar thread. Olimar is THE coolest potential newcomer, and he deserves better.
It's true, there's not much to debate, but it'd be nice if it was on the front page far more to try and incite some discussion. Only way it'd stay there is if it got stickied unfortunately :(.

True enough. Pokemon are a slightly different issue, and Pichu isn't the ideal example - but the fact remains that Pichu (as well as Pikachu and Jiglypuff if you don't count the anime') were included as playable characters even though they aren't individuals in the same way that Mario and Link are. While this isn't conclusive, it does show that Sakurai is not against the idea of including a generic character if the situation warrents their inclusion.
The whole point is that you don't just disregard the anime. It's the anime which gives them the mass of the importance, popularity and if it wasn't for singular Pokemon being singled out I would be much more against the inclusion of them in Brawl.

However, you you seem to agree that an avitar can still qualify as a videogame character - which was my main argument.
I was never really debating that they couldn't be included (which they most certainly could be), but rather that not every "videogame character" deserves a shot in Brawl (ahead of other videogame characters, ya know, the proper ones :chuckle:).

Wii Sports doesn't really call for character development either. My point being that character development is not a prerequisite to being a character in Smash Bros.
Most certainly not. However given the choice between a well developed FE character which I'd grown a strong bond to through the games (never played the games, but possibly the Black Knight is an example of this, and my sneaky underhand tactics) and the Mii inclusion, I would much rather have an awesome character like the Black Knight.

In most games (such as Wii Sports) Miis have a set height and weight as well. Only their facial features is customizable.
I suppose this is true and it'd make sense for the same to be applicable to Brawl. However PT is still much more defined than the Mii because of the facial features.

I'm interested though, do you agree about the subjects I brought up about PT? The "not a real character" and "inclusion only justified by the 3 Pokemon" bits.

I see what your getting at, but if you look at characters like Link and Mario - they started out as very crude, simple character designs with little personality. It was the incredible gameplay in their games that set them apart, not Link's unforgettable personality.
Ah the good old "origins" argument which unfortunately doesn't hold up in my eyes. Their creation was done back in the early days of videogaming etc. when the genres still didn't exist (it was either a videogame or not really) and character development didn't exist. People far too often (just read the Waluigi thread) try and compare the early days of the fathers of modern videogaming with a much more recently created character and it doesn't work. They were far different times.

I would never ague that Mii is ultimate character that every other game character should aspire to be, but they do have a destinct, simple and quirky personality in their own right. Just becuase they race cows and play tennis instead of jumping on Goombas doesn't make them benchwarmers to Mario's quarterback.
I'd argue that the cow itself has more of a personality ^^. However, since personality isn't a predicate of being in Smash Bros. it is rather a moot subject to argue on and I can only agree with what you said (maybe except the benchwarmers bit at the end, but everything else is pretty good). Once again it just comes down to my preference of developed characters.

You are right, of course. I guess that sounded pretty preachy.... sorry.
Really no need to apologise, I myslef am fully aware that I sound like a pompous arse when arguing :D.

Yeah, I clearly exagerated, but my point was that Smash Bros isn't just for one type of gamer. It's a game that fans of Mario, Pokemon, Metroid, Metal Gear and everyone in between can enjoy. Saying that the millions of people who love Wii Sports don't count rubs me the wrong way, frankly.
Millions of people enjoy Wii sports indeed. However Smash Bros. is a hardcore game, not aimed at the legions of elderly having a love in something they'd never imagined doing. It's not aimed at the parents who've always bought the games and yet never really tried it for themselves. At the end of the day, while Nintendo can be ecstatic at every copy of Brawl sold to these people, they cannot be realistically expected to be interested in it.

Okay, I'll admit that Miis don't belong in EVERY videogame (Miis in Galaxy or Prime 3 would be pushing it) but if ever there was a game that Miis would be perfect for, Super Smash Bros is it. As you said, Smash Bros is about all our favorite Nintendo characters duking it out - and Mii qualifies. There are people who love Miis, as is made evident by the various websites devoted to them: www.miiplaza.net .

The beauty of Smash Bros is that it is considered both an ultra-harcore fighting game and a casual party game. The sight of Mario and Mii on the cover might just be enough to dupe the millions of Mario Party 8 players into buying a truly great game. And if any game can turn a casual gamer into a full fledged Nintendo fan, it's Smash Bros.
Of course Galaxy and Prime 3 are different, since both single player and couldn't ever be considered a party game. My example was more taking it to the extreme. However Brawl is more of a party game among hardcore gamers, whereas games like Mario Party 8 clearly have casual appeal. While MP8 received bad reviews and still sold tons, this is not because the casual gamer just buys anything they see with Mario on regardless but more because they know what the game is about and like the concept. To think that a casual gamer would buy on impulse because of Mario + Mii on the cover would be rather insulting to a casual gamer (I'd think), but luckily you won't find any on these boards :chuckle:.

Miis are loved, but by "favourite Nintendo characters" I more mean (and updating to clearly verify what I mean) "Important and loved Nintendo characters from the Nintendo franchises with a few very popular 3rd party inclusions that have appeared on Nintendos platforms to this day".

Combine Cow Racing and Tanks with Boxing and other sports and you do have the makings for a pretty unique moveset. As for unique moves, I was thinking more along the lines of simple punches and kicks.

My point being, it's surely conceivable that a cool moveset could be made for the character.
The prospect of using lots of attacks from the various sports and minigames doesn't really appeal to me. Peach was fine having it for one attack, but really the moves could be put to better use. I'm also skeptical of whether Nintendo would include a radically different moveset for Mii with the sports/minigame moves to draw from. Could be cool though, I honestly couldn't say it wouldn't without knowing it, could I?

Fine, but I can't see the appeal of Pokemon. That doesn't mean that I'm against their inclusion.
I'm sure you can see the appeal of having them in a fighting game with everyone's "favourite Nintendo characters" though. That is where the logic for pop culture icons falls down for me.

I think you underestimate how easily the average person can be amused. When playing Wii Boxing, for example, it doesn't matter that every character fights the same. It's still hilarious to see Batman and Chewbacca squaring off.
Wii boxing was made for that and that is where the pop culture fighting should stay.

If Miis are included and if their moveset is enjoyable to play as, having the ability to fight as your favorite Mii would be highly amusing to many people.
Meh. Not really :p.

Okay, I see your point. But honestly, that point doesn't really bother me, though I agree that others would be bothered by it. I suppose it really depends on which group Sakurai falls into.
If it doesn't really bother you, then I can see why you might support Miis. It is honestly my biggest fault with them (but not my only big one, as you can see ^^).

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
Miis are too valuable to Nintendo to not include in Brawl.

Nintendo wants money. In order to get money they must sell- alot. How will they sell alot of Brawl games to all ages? Include Sonic? Of course! Let them play with stickers? Yes! Include the Miis they love to create? Genius!

Nintendo knows what they are doing. They know almost everyone with a Wii has atleast created one Mii. So if, for whatever reason, they buy Brawl, they will have someone familar to play with.

i.e- "Look Daddy! Its you and your beating up Mario and Sonic! That was fun! Now im goin to use Uncle Jimmy to beat up Pikachu and a monkey! Woot!"

Nintendo just release Pokemon Trainer as a playable character...they have no idea what they're doing if they're trying to make a cool game. Unless all they know, is that *******es like generic crap and will buy it.
ie- "Look daddy your mii is able to beat up Ganondorf...? WTF? This game makes no sense! I hate u Daddy."

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
I say Miis definitely stand a very good chance, the main argument agaist them is that they're casual and won't appeal in a hardcore game like Brawl. To this I say: Kingdom Hearts.

Final Fantasy (Hardcore) + Disney (Casual) = One of the highest selling games on the PS2

Crazy, I know. I mean, Goofy, FIGHTING!? But it worked. I had never played Final Fantasy (Or, at least, never really got into it) but had seen Disney movies. I thought that an idea like this would be like Smash Bros. Without the fighting and instead of Nintendo characters it had Disney Characters. (I see SE being a lot like this) and I had seen the game as a demo when I went to DisneyWorld. I liked the game, It drew me in, only after I played it I realized it was made by Square and was a Final Fantasy-esque game. I say, If Disney and Square can do it, why not Miis and Brawl?

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
As if the Ice Climbers beating up Ganondorf makes any more sense.

& what about Single Button Mode in melee, you think hardcores were the audience in mind for that mode?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I say Miis definitely stand a very good chance, the main argument agaist them is that they're casual and won't appeal in a hardcore game like Brawl. To this I say: Kingdom Hearts.

Final Fantasy (Hardcore) + Disney (Casual) = One of the highest selling games on the PS2

Crazy, I know. I mean, Goofy, FIGHTING!? But it worked. I had never played Final Fantasy (Or, at least, never really got into it) but had seen Disney movies. I thought that an idea like this would be like Smash Bros. Without the fighting and instead of Nintendo characters it had Disney Characters. (I see SE being a lot like this) and I had seen the game as a demo when I went to DisneyWorld. I liked the game, It drew me in, only after I played it I realized it was made by Square and was a Final Fantasy-esque game. I say, If Disney and Square can do it, why not Miis and Brawl?
I see where you're making the Kingdom Hearts connection, but I'm inclined to disagree. Although the Disney characters and worlds certainly are nice doses of nostalgia, the things that really make Kingdom Hearts so great are all the original aspects of it. Sora and the rest of the cast of original characters, original worlds like Hollow Bastion (though KH2 ruined that world), and the storyline which seems simple at face value, but has lots of intricacies to it that appeal to the slightly older gamers.

If they had just thrown Mickey, Donald, and Goofy into a game with Cloud, Squall, and Tidus said "DO STUFF!!" it wouldn't have done nearly as well.

I do think Miis have a decent chance at being in Brawl, and I do see how they could reel in more casual gamers with them, but Smash has always been a great game anyway. Miis won't necessarilly make it better.

Also, let's be honest here, when we say "casual gamers", who are we talking about? Parents, grandparents, siblings who don't play games very often? If these people own a Wii, it's most likely because they have a child/grandchild/sibling who plays it. Brawl would be bought for that child, and then the Mii being in the game may cause that child's family members to pick up the controller and play along. Although this is touching, it doesn't cause more games to sell—a 30-year-old-man who only plays video games when his son asks him to play Mario Party with him will not buy a copy of Brawl for himself.

In that respect, Miis don't seem all that beneficial in getting more Brawl discs off the shelves.

[/opinion]

This post ended up being much longer than I had originally intended.

Xanderous

Smash Lord

Final Fantasy is nowhere near hardcore. Everyone and there mother has played it.

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
As if the Ice Climbers beating up Ganondorf makes any more sense.

& what about Single Button Mode in melee, you think hardcores were the audience in mind for that mode?
exactly it doesn't make sense that ganon loses to IC ...Nintendo fvcked it up there too.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Its not like Mii is gonna takes someones place, it would actually be one of the EASIEST characters to program, since skurai only needs to make the movset, stats, hitboxes, and thats it, since he dont have to work much with the details since miis dont have any realistic features...

Top Bottom