• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Mii!

kaid

Smash Master
Bear with me here.

Wii Sports is a brand new franchise, with a generic stand in for the player. However, this generic stand in is already doing enough interesting stuff at launch to merit consideration as a possible contender for smash.

UpB: Mii Grab: Like in the Mii channel, a hand appears and grabs the mii by the head, the mii will "wiggle" and will hit anyone near him, after a few seconds, the hand will let go and the mii will fall...
Uptilt, upair and upsmash, and <B: Wii Sports Tennis
vB: Wii Bowling

aaa: Wii Boxing

Ftilt, Fsmash, Dash: Wii Sports Baseball

Downtilt, downsmash: Wii Sports Golf

Super: TANKS!: Like in wii play, the mii will hop on a tank, and shoot the hell out of the oponents, shooting missiles, throwing grenades... whatever works... (not real-life grenades, sakurais hates them I know, catoon-like missiles,grenades...)

With the releace of even more Wii Sports titles, this character gets even more possibilities. Wii Hockey, Wii basketball, and others would also fit, if Nintendo made them.

Games that use the Mii Channel:
Wii Sports Golf
Wii Sports Tennis
Wii Sports Baseball
Wii Sports Boxing
Wii Sports Bowling
Wii Music
Wii Play
Wii Motorsports

Warioware.

losvedir

Smash Apprentice
kaid said:
Bear with me here.

Wii Sports is a brand new franchise, with a generic stand in for the player. However, this generic stand in is already doing enough interesting stuff at launch to merit consideration as a possible contender for smash.

Hm, I think your idea has some merit. One very interesting thing, I feel, that you didn't bring up, though, is that the Wii sports guy is customizable. Meaning, he's just a little stand-in right now, but I remember reading somewhere that you will be able to customize him to make him resemble you, similar to Miyamoto's etc. in the E3 presentation.

Also, I remember reading that he would be stored and used in different places. So imagine fighting in Smash Bros. with a caricatured version of you! Smash could use the plain guy stand-in, but it could also check to see if you have already customized him somewhere in anotehr game and use that one instead!

parrothead

Smash Lord
That is the red biplane from the SNES Pilotwings title, which probably means that the Pilotwings 64 pilots may not return.

kaid

Smash Master
Wii Boxing has been confirmed, as well as Wii Bowling. The moveset is growing...

This character could also use the Wii's Mii config, to play as your personal avatar in Brawl.
Want to beat up Tingle? Make a Tingle avatar, and upload it to this character!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I think he's to new to join in.
Too new? What about Roy? His game was so new in teh Fire Emblem line of games, it was still in development when he came in.

So then, the game with the plane isn't a new Pilotwings game? I think Pilotwings needs a new game on either the DS or Wii.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Exactly what I was thinking. It would basically be just the Wii Sports guy, but with YOUR (or rather, MY) face. That's would be incredible to the point of being ridiculous.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Too new? What about Roy? His game was so new in teh Fire Emblem line of games, it was still in development when he came in.

So then, the game with the plane isn't a new Pilotwings game? I think Pilotwings needs a new game on either the DS or Wii.
I mean we don't know to much to judge yet in my opinon.

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
Okay, this has got to me the most intriguing idea I have heard in quite a while.

I am against having a create a character mode for Brawl. It's a fighting game for videogaming's greats and your own creations would ruin that atmosphere. Still, if the Wii Sports guy was in, you would be sort of be having a bit of both worlds. It would be a typical character with a particular set of moves only you could have it look like you. Neat.

The information for your custom character created via the mii feature is suppose to be storable on your Wii remote. So I guess that would free up some memory space to make it doable. Also, think of the possibilities with multiplayer and everyone's character looking like themselves. Currently Wii Sports has five different games in the series: Baseball, Golf, Tennis, Bowling, and Boxing. That's a good variety for moves and as Kaid said, if more sports titles are released there would be even more options. Also, it would be nice if the Wii system had its own specific character to represent it in Brawl.

The more I think on this idea, the more i like it. Kudos to you Kaid for such an interesting notion.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Not only do I like it, but I think it's pretty likely. Nintendo's obviously going to want to get the Miis in on as many games as they can, and Smash is a great fit.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I always knew there was a chance I could somehow get in the game, this idea just got a whole lot better.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
You know I was just about to start a Mii character thread. I'm normally against the idea of create-a-character in SSB, but I see a number of reasons that could make Mii work:

1. Because Mii is used as a playable character in WiiSports, WiiMusic & no doubt in more games to come (I want a Mii Platformer!), they're kinda sorta Nintendo characters.

2. Your obviously limited in what you can create, just simple armless chibis. Doesn't look like you can even have hats or symbols on your shirt. This'll discourage excessive number of Miis being used once players realize they can't make Master Chief or Sephiroth or whoever.

3. Between the importance of simplicity in Wii design & importance of balance in SSB design, there's no way we'd be premitted a lot of options in moves. We'll only have B moves & Super Smashs to choose, if even that. Mii will never rise above middle tier.

4. Online play should regardless have options that let players choose what characters/items/stages can & cannot be used in any given match. If you don't like playing against Miis, you can just ban them.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I don't understand your last two points. You're saying that the Miis would be severaly limited and stuff, but why? The idea is to make Mii an unlockable character. Since all Miis have the same size and proportions, there's no real physical differences between them, only asthetic ones. So you pick the Mii, and you are then given a list of the Miis on the controller that you are using. You pick yourself (or any other Mii you've created), and bang, no instead of just a normal Mii, you now have the Mii that looks like you (or whoever).

So therefor, Mii can have a complete moveset and be a balanced character, just like any other Smash character. The only difference is that you can change his looks. There'd be no reason to ban him, and no reason he couldn't have a whole moveset.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
I like this idea alot, This woyld be really cool. Great Ideas from everyone supporting this so far too!

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Of course they'll have complete movesets but they'll be predesigned like the normal characters' movesets, the players don't get to chooses the moves.

Banning is simply an option for those who still think Miis go too far against the concept of Nintendo all-stars. If I play a 100 online matches & in 85 of them the opponent uses a Mii, I'll start getting annoyed at the lack of character variety. I'll also get annoyed at seeing a 100 Marths or Shieks in a row or whoever becomes popular.

I base my reasonings for the last 2 ideas on my experiences with online WWE Smackdown games. Nobody ever uses the in-game wrestlers, only their own creations. & with the option of fully customizable movsets, many players find exploitable moves & get really cheap wins by preforming the same action over & over with no chance of their opponent countering. I hate to see something like this happen to Brawl & think measures should be taken against it.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
So therefor, Mii can have a complete moveset and be a balanced character, just like any other Smash character. The only difference is that you can change his looks. There'd be no reason to ban him, and no reason he couldn't have a whole moveset.
Exactly. He could have an already existing moveset with no (or very little) variation in it reguardless of who's Mii it is. The only thing to be changed would be the way he looks.

*Imagines Mii of me fighting Luigi, Bowser, and Sonic...*

*Faints*

This is probably the only way that 99.5% of people on the planet will ever have the opportunity to have themselves (or one of their designs) turned into a video game character. It's pure genius! I know for a fact that I'll be getting one. I just hope they have tails, fox ears, metallic limbs, and fur in the design options... If not, then I'll figure something out.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
MAtsGy said:
If I play a 100 online matches & in 85 of them the opponent uses a Mii, I'll start getting annoyed at the lack of character variety.
Umm... irony? If you play a bunch of matches against online people's Miis, they'll all look different. They wouldn't have customizable movesets, because that's completely no what this topic is about.

The idea is that the Wii Sports guy is a character. The make a moveset for him based on his Wii Sports appearances. The only difference is that, if you have a Mii in your controller, you can change the Wii Sports guy's face and color to match your Mii. You couldn't change the moveset, because it's still the same character. You just change him asthetically.

When'd he say that?
He didn't.

And Lupe, it isn't that involved. You can see a video of how it works here, and it's a lot more simple than you think it is. There's still plenty of variety, but I didn't see those kinds of additions in the options.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
And Lupe, it isn't that involved. You can see a video of how it works here, and it's a lot more simple than you think it is. There's still plenty of variety, but I didn't see those kinds of additions in the options.

Well, I can dream... I was just hoping it woud have it so I could play as my RP character in some of these games.

Eventually, though, they will add things like that.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Says who? They're keeping Miis simple for a reason, and that's so that anyone can make one. If there's a zillion options for each body part (and adding body parts), it gets confusing, and goes against Nintendo's whole philosophy.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
If they wish to avoid confusing "common" person (which, I agree is a good idea), they could simply have an "Advanced Mii Designs" which would entail anything that wasn't included in that video you showed.

kaid

Smash Master
Wow. I bump a 2 month old, 3 post long topic, and suddenly it's the hottest thing in town.

I'm going to update the OP will all the games known to use Mii.

I know the Wii Sports games (Tennis, Golf, Baseball, boxing, bowling) Wii Music, and Wii Motorsports, but I think there were a few other titles known to be using it.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Warioware will also use Miis. I'm not sure exactly how, or what kind of moveset we could get from that, but whoever was presenting today confirmed it (see the Mii video that I posted earlier in this topic).

SupaSmashBrotha

Smash Ace
Just imagine beating the living daylights out of a smash character you hate with another character that has your face. How can this not be the greatest video game hitch invented.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is Mii that thing where you take your picture and insert it in the game if so no because of internet stalkers if not then tell me what it is.
You're close. You make an online characature of yourself using pre-rendered facial features. An example would be the Reggie, Iwata, and Miyamoto models that were used during the E3 presentation of Wiisports. Also, in a recent video, a guy made a Samuel L. Jackson(circa Pulp Fiction) model, and also showed a "Mr. Iwata" Mii, and a "Mii-amoto" Mii.

So no, it's not inserting a pic of yourself, it's more like making a cartoon version of yourself or others.

Eaode

Smash Champion
That would be so hilarious. My Mii would be Michael Jackson. That way, after owning a noob, I could say "You got *****!!!" and it'll actually mean something.

Top Bottom