• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Mii!

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah tell that to every Wii owner out there adn every 1st and 3rd party developers that are using miis for their games non stop...

SonicMario

Smash Master
Miis are in my top 5 for Brawl list. Can anybody see a Mii using a Cracker Launcher? Who wouldn't want Jerry Springer ACTUALLY fighting like as if he did on his own show only made to look more kid-friendly. And Miis in Wi-fi would make Brawl one of Nintendo's best selling games EVER!. Maybe even enough to equal the 1st Super Mario Bros's sales. Miis, 3rd party characters (Snake, Sonic and/or Megaman), and the story mode, plus whatever Sakuri has hideing for us equals Best game sold on the Wii. Perhaps Nintendo will get even smarter and make a rare special edition Brawl Wii that comes with Wii Sports & Brawl. But they'd have to raise the price on those.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Also, you can make a Mii of someone you hate with a burning passion and beat them them up with your favorite (or not) Nintendo characters!

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
As if the Ice Climbers beating up Ganondorf makes any more sense.
It doesn't make sense by itself, but compared to a generic Mii punching the king of evil, it's pretty sane. Both Ganon and the ICs are actual characters created by Nintendo that have played their roles; ICs as protagonists back in the '80s and Ganon as a recurring main villian. Miis had not had any role in an Nintendo game other than serving as a representation of the person playing Wii Sports. In fact, that's the appeal of Wii Sports/Wii Play: Using a Wiimote to play the game, not playing as a Mii itself.

Croco

Smash Lord
It doesn't make sense by itself, but compared to a generic Mii punching the king of evil, it's pretty sane. Both Ganon and the ICs are actual characters created by Nintendo that have played their roles; ICs as protagonists back in the '80s and Ganon as a recurring main villian. Miis had not had any role in an Nintendo game other than serving as a representation of the person playing Wii Sports. In fact, that's the appeal of Wii Sports/Wii Play: Using a Wiimote to play the game, not playing as a Mii itself.
Without us.. games would not exist.. and the characters in these games would not exist.. Smash Brothers would not exist.

Miis are avatars of us. We are Miis.. which allows us to become part of the game visually. Just like any other character. I don't see a problem with a Mii beating up Mario or Ganondorf.

Sakurai would actually be foolish to ignore Miis completely. If they are not playable he could atleast implement them as a mini boss, event mode, or a AT.

Now.. there isn't any point debating about Miis playability.. just like how I don't want Ridley playable. We both will find out over time or when the game comes out.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Without us.. games would not exist.. and the characters in these games would not exist.. Smash Brothers would not exist.
What does that have to do with anything?
Miis are avatars of us. We are Miis.. which allows us to become part of the game visually.
But that's just it. I don't want to be part of the game visually. The Super Smash Bros. roster is to be filled with Nintendo all-stars and Nintendo all-stars only. Miis distract from the entire concept. This isn't Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur.
Just like any other character. I don't see a problem with a Mii beating up Mario or Ganondorf.
You don't? Well, I see a BIG problem with that picture.
Sakurai would actually be foolish to ignore Miis completely.
Replace "foolish" with "wise" and I agree.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
SpitFire, you really live up to your name. Give me one good (Emphasis on good) reason not to have Miis in Brawl. (Entertaining, Easy to program, Inventive, Unique, Appeal to casual gamers, and The Wiis new icon character. Against your opinion that hey shouldn't be in? Yeah, good luck.) and then we'll talk, but until I see some proof that Miis are not good for Brawl I won't think anything otherwise.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
SpitFire, you really live up to your name. Give me one good (Emphasis on good) reason not to have Miis in Brawl. (Entertaining, Easy to program, Inventive, Unique, Appeal to casual gamers, and The Wiis new icon character. Against your opinion that hey shouldn't be in? Yeah, good luck.) and then we'll talk, but until I see some proof that Miis are not good for Brawl I won't think anything otherwise.
That's the beauty of an opinion, sir. Not only is it a matter of personal taste, but being as we're all pretty stubborn, not many people are actually going to change their opinions anyway.

The only reason I've ever posted in here was to say how much I personally hate the idea of Miis in Brawl. I don't actually expect to change anyone's mind, and I doubt SpitFire does either. I'm sure he's just expressing his contempt.

[/done answering posts that weren't directed toward me]

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
SpitFire, you really live up to your name.
WTF is that supposed to mean?
Give me one good (Emphasis on good) reason not to have Miis in Brawl. (Entertaining, Easy to program, Inventive, Unique, Appeal to casual gamers, and The Wiis new icon character. Against your opinion that hey shouldn't be in? Yeah, good luck.) and then we'll talk, but until I see some proof that Miis are not good for Brawl I won't think anything otherwise.
I might as well be speaking to my wall.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
a mii as a playable character would seem weird, more like an AT, and for an easter egg the mii's that appear are the ones from you wii system memory

Vali

Smash Ace
Posted along with other such great suggestions as Tingle, Waluigi and Slippy. Heh.

Really though, it doesn't say what role they played and since there is an achievements system which pretty much requires you trading certain achievements with friends to unlock certain secrets I would've been very surprised if they weren't included for that alone. However what we're talking about is a major part of the gameplay, an entire character, rather than just as a trading avatar. It'd be like including the Mii in the Metroid Prime gameplay. If that is the case, then I'll certainly back Mii's for Brawl but only because I'm 100% certain that is not how they're implemented. All previous arguments still stand, including the hardcore one.

Trust you Wiseguy to take something completely out of context and getting people's hopes up *glances over at PT watching from the sidelines*.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Miis are in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption!

IGN, who has beaten the game, says so in their latest edition of Smash it up. Read their profile on Mii for yourself.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/814/814663p1.html

Seriously, if Nintendo can put them in Prime 3, would they really be that out of place in Brawl?
How would they even fit in MP3. But yeah if they can make it in Metroid than they can make in Brawl.

SonicMario

Smash Master
0_o
When did they appear?!?!? Screenshot?

If they can get into a hardcore game like Metroid Prime 3. Then what can stop them from being in Brawl? Only Sakuari can accept them now...

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Posted along with other such great suggestions as Tingle, Waluigi and Slippy. Heh.

Really though, it doesn't say what role they played and since there is an achievements system which pretty much requires you trading certain achievements with friends to unlock certain secrets I would've been very surprised if they weren't included for that alone. However what we're talking about is a major part of the gameplay, an entire character, rather than just as a trading avatar. It'd be like including the Mii in the Metroid Prime gameplay. If that is the case, then I'll certainly back Mii's for Brawl but only because I'm 100% certain that is not how they're implemented. All previous arguments still stand, including the hardcore one.
Spoiler: all the metoids in the game look like this>

Or maybe your right and it has more to do with achievements. We'll have to wait and see...

As for the harcore argument, I don't beleive in a hardcore/casual divide. Games are games, and I know for a fact that there are legions of hradcore Nintendo fans who love Wii sports and Miis - just as there are casual gamers who could be turned into full fledged Nintendo fans if they could be compelled to pick up a copy of Brawl. Really, why else would Nintendo include a Wii-mote/nunchuck control option if they didn't want to get casual gamers interested?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Really, why else would Nintendo include a Wii-mote/nunchuck control option if they didn't want to get casual gamers interested?
Wiseguy, you make a decent argument all around, but I'd just like to say that they're probably including that kind of controller option because that is the Wii controller, and this is a Wii game. I think it would be foolish of them to rely on everyone Brawler to have a GCN controller at the ready. I mean sure, most of us will, but as a general rule it's kind of a bad idea to make a game for a system that can't be controlled with that system's very own controller.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Brawl must have Mii.first if Miis are on the game,it would be really great
plus it would make alot of sales

IllidR

Smash Champion
Sorry guys, I'm really not a supporter of Miis, more of a hater actually. I don't think they should be a playable character or even in the game except maybe a trophy or a profile you could use for online play.

IllidR

Smash Champion
QTF, the only characters that will help sales are third party characters, or really wanted characters, like Ridley, Krystal, and DeDeDe.
Nahh, I think the only ones who will help the sales are third party, not wanted characters. The only ones probably following some of these characters are people who are definitely getting it in the first place. No matter how wanted Ridley is he's still a Metroid representative.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Nahh, I think the only ones who will help the sales are third party, not wanted characters. The only ones probably following some of these characters are people who are definitely getting it in the first place. No matter how wanted Ridley is he's still a Metroid representative.
Sonic is going to bring in so many new smashers. Nintendo would be stupid not to have him. He will make them money, Nintendo likes money.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Sonic is going to bring in so many new smashers. Nintendo would be stupid not to have him. He will make them money, Nintendo likes money.
Nintendo wouldn't be the one saying no, though. Sega would. And Sega very well may opt to not have it's mascot in Brawl.

I hope that's not the case, but it's an unfortunate possibility.

On topic: I still don't like the Mii idea.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
whats with the sudden surge of mii hatered? Miis are still nintendo stars, and are incredibly popular. what? they're to "simplistic?" they arent "cool" enough? they arent "hardcore" enough? what ****ty reasons. characters dont need to be hardcore or complex to get in. they just need to be what they do best: being nintendo characters. no matter how you slice it, miis are still nintendo characters. sure, you can customize them, but in the end, they're still essentailly miis. they just look different. to have a character(s) so signifigant to nintendo, not being included in a game about NINTENDO would be just foolish. thats like saying kirby shouldn't get in, since most of his games are easy.

and they wouldn't be "too weird." guess what? this is smash bros. a game where you can have a battle between pikachu and solid snake. OF COURSE THINGS ARE GOING TO BE WEIRD!!! There is no such thing as "fitting in" to smash bros. its not like smabura is a fighting game with entirely original characters, so everyone has to fit the same design style.
L@@K:

do these guys look anything alike at all? would you expect to find them in the same game? OF COURSE NOT! there is no such thing as a "joke" character in smash, like everyone seems to call miis. ANYONE can fit into smash, be they a secret agent, a plumber, a galactic bounty hunter, or a puffball. or in this case, a highly customizable virtual doll.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Just wondering, has anyone adressed the fact that a Mii's size can be altered, and thus effect gameplay? >_>

It could be possible that they all must be a certain size or that those of smaller sizes can be knocked off easier, while taller ones are harder to knock off and so forth.

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, has anyone adressed the fact that a Mii's size can be altered, and thus effect gameplay? >_>

It could be possible that they all must be a certain size or that those of smaller sizes can be knocked off easier, while taller ones are harder to knock off and so forth.
No, for coding's sake they'd probably all have to be a generic size with your head plopped on top, just like Wii Sports.

Akiak

Smash Ace
I personally made many Miis that look weird and funny. You can make all kinds of miis because you can move mouths on their head, tiny noses, gigantic eyes etc. It would be funny to see them fighting. Plus it must feel awesome to see one of your simple, easy-to-do creations that represent you fighting against the most important and worthy videogame characters in the world!!!

MII 4 BRAWL!!!

Wreked

Smash Lord
Just thought i'd let you guys know this if you already haven't. This is how Mii's are in Metroid Prime 3. I watched the video review for MP and at around 10:00 it shows a little bobble head mii on the cockpit for samus's ship. So I don't think mii's have major role but hey there in there.

killbeast301

Smash Lord
whats with the sudden surge of mii hatered? Miis are still nintendo stars, and are incredibly popular. what? they're to "simplistic?" they arent "cool" enough? they arent "hardcore" enough? what ****ty reasons. characters dont need to be hardcore or complex to get in. they just need to be what they do best: being nintendo characters. no matter how you slice it, miis are still nintendo characters. sure, you can customize them, but in the end, they're still essentailly miis. they just look different. to have a character(s) so signifigant to nintendo, not being included in a game about NINTENDO would be just foolish. thats like saying kirby shouldn't get in, since most of his games are easy.

and they wouldn't be "too weird." guess what? this is smash bros. a game where you can have a battle between pikachu and solid snake. OF COURSE THINGS ARE GOING TO BE WEIRD!!! There is no such thing as "fitting in" to smash bros. its not like smabura is a fighting game with entirely original characters, so everyone has to fit the same design style.
L@@K:

do these guys look anything alike at all? would you expect to find them in the same game? OF COURSE NOT! there is no such thing as a "joke" character in smash, like everyone seems to call miis. ANYONE can fit into smash, be they a secret agent, a plumber, a galactic bounty hunter, or a puffball. or in this case, a highly customizable virtual doll.
I like this guy. He pretty much summed it all up. They may all look diferent but they are still Miis. Yes, we may have created each individual Mii, but they are all still Miis, the concept of which was created by Nintendo. Nintendo gave us the ability to create Miis, thus making them Nintendo characters.

Top Bottom