• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Levitas

the moon
His learning curve is NOT the highest, though it is a little bit steeper early on than some others.

ICs are harder to learn at a high level, even if it is just finding timing for desynchs and chaingrabs.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
True. Pikachu's learning curve seems to have increased now with these new 1-frame buffer chaingrabs as well, though...

Ness will prolly always be difficult to learn. He's weird like that. :ness2:

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ic's cgs are hard to learn...?

My friend learned them the week they went public. He couldn't even wobble in melee...

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
What?

I know my cousin tried out IC's, learned the chain grabs after like two whole days of training (more of the basics) but he didn't like it as much cause he wasn't very good with just one ice climber etc.

Cron_Ace

Smash Rookie
In that case, I have a few questions to ask.

How do you up taunt while moving/during a move?
What's an aerial shuffle (for ness)?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
You can only up taunt, or do any taunt, while walking. You'll slide a little during the taunt, but that's all. Taunt cancelling doesn't exist in Brawl.

An aerial shuffle involves using two aerial attacks in one short hop. This is easiest to practice with neutral air in my opinion. Just short hop by lightly tapping the jump button, and I mean lightly. Ness should jump half the distance of a full hop. At the same time that you jump, press A to perform nair, and press again before landing to sneak in another nair.

This can be done with most combinations of aerials.

Cron_Ace

Smash Rookie
Short hopping is easy, I've been doing that since 64. Thanks for all the other info, will go on an try today.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Ness will prolly always be difficult to learn. He's weird like that. :ness2:
I'd have to say that Samus is by far the hardest one to learn. I've tried out each character on the roster and she makes Ness look easy to use, seriously. I decided to use Samus while my brother used Ness and he was really killing me. The matches were close, but he ended up winning.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'd have to say that Samus is by far the hardest one to learn. I've tried out each character on the roster and she makes Ness look easy to use, seriously. I decided to use Samus while my brother used Ness and he was really killing me. The matches were close, but he ended up winning.
I think the main problem is... Samus, like Ness, only have moves that damage, none that really get the job done and kill when you need them too. I've always believed that every move has is only there to rack up damage for a bthrow. Samus has... a fast, bad ranged fsmash, bair, and dair as her main killers. She's composed entirely of creating a wall with projectiles, zair, and absolutely tricking her opponent.

Ness always has bthrow, bair, nair, and dair.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I don't kill nearly as much with uair and fsmash as I do with the others.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ness' doesn't have problems killing. It's dealing with camping that he has problems with.

StarLight

Smash Apprentice
I don't use fsmash for kills much either. I'll reflect something every once in awhile, or punish something like a Jiggz missing a Rest, but other than that it's sort of a dead move for me =/

Uair, on the other hand, should probably be included with Ness' main kill moves. It's too good.

Mezerian

Smash Cadet
I have problems with the actualy KO. I can rack up damage like it's nobody's business, but scoring that uair or backthrow is an elusive task. PKT2 or bair help, or even start stuff with a dair launcher if you're lucky enough to land one.

Anyway, I'd like to ask if anyone actually uses Ness's yoyo. I was using it at the melbourne ranbats the other day and raised a few comments. With good timing it's actually quite a mindtrip against dodgeroll spammers, though quite punishable if it fails, imo. Anyone have any insight?

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
As you stated its great against dodgerollers if their predictable.
If you're against an opponent who barely does then it could be harder to find the right time to use it. I believe the yoyo works as a good defense against dash attacks and probably grabs if used at the right time.
Pivot Yoyo (idk if thats the right term) could be useful to, dash in an opposite direction and usmash) to mind game.

Levitas

the moon
I use usmash a lot, and almost never dsmash.

usmash is very not safe on shield, and most aerials clank it though.

neomadgic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
neomagic249
I don't know if anyone is still answering... But, does MK get a free downsmash after grab release on Ness? I tried this on computers and it seems so.

_clinton

Smash Master
I don't know if anyone is still answering... But, does MK get a free downsmash after grab release on Ness? I tried this on computers and it seems so.
Yes he does...Ness and Lucas have a 10+ frame disadvantage on ground breaks...The Sonic boards also say MK can chain Ness across the stage as well...but I'm in question about their proof on that

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I have a question. I heard that you can lengthen the grab release so that you can't be regrabbed by e.g. marf. How can u do this
By being Ref apparently because nobody is smart/ trying hard enough to even figure out really what I discovered. There were even cpus doing it according to some. It's why this masterpiece has gotten locked.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201575

Just because it's useless if only I can do it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
A lot of people dismissed it because they couldn't pull it off themselves. Perhaps I should go back to trying it until it works for me.

Levitas

the moon
I'm really sorry you guys feel that way. I've tested it in every way I've deemed significant, and asked for specific inputs without response. I've tested in frame by frame mode. I had tested it before frame by frame mode existed.

There is no EIDI that I can discern.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Videos can be falsified, but do you know what can't be falsified? A replay. Even though you can make arbitrary replays (theoretically, at least), they can still only record things that can actually happen within the game mechanics, by their very nature.

If this really exists, somebody should produce a replay of it, and it can be verified in frame by frame mode watching the replay. I asked Ref to produce a replay of it and he has not done so.

There is no point in even talking about EIDI unless somebody who believes it exists produces a replay of it.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
There is some weird form of EIDI, but nothing that lets Ness escape Marth's infinite.
Talked about this before I'm pretty sure... Try searching.... Anyway sage now knows a lot more than Levitas knows.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
three? lolwut?

I did discover that when you hold the c-stick and control a certain way you do di out of Marth's grab range, but Marth can still regrab you while you are moving. Without anything you don't ever get out of the range at all. Never really continued testing since it's banned in my area anyways.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I don't think I picked a fight. Anyway it's getting banned in a few places but really if you're Ref banned or not it doesn't matter.

Also if you know all your my stuff you'd be re grab free

xoxokev

Smash Lord
I don't think I picked a fight. Anyway it's getting banned in a few places but really if you're Ref banned or not it doesn't matter.

Also if you know all your my stuff you'd be re grab free
Can you please tell me all your stuff...

Anima Araria

Smash Rookie
three? lolwut?

I did discover that when you hold the c-stick and control a certain way you do di out of Marth's grab range, but Marth can still regrab you while you are moving. Without anything you don't ever get out of the range at all. Never really continued testing since it's banned in my area anyways.
Marth's infinite is banned in your area?

Top Bottom