• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It's unbelievable how few players know that Ness can do anything after full hop PK Fire... Everyone eats nair for trying to punish at least once.
Yeah i've noticed this as well actually. Subconsciously, but... still! :D

As in, now that I think about it, yes I have noticed it. :)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
He's got similarities and differences... I haven't played him that much, I can't go into elaborate detail. His PKT is better though. By far. I can't quite remember how. I just know it's better. :o

Nido

ily Sebby
PKT2 is especially better with more range, no distance lost after contact, slightly faster, slightly stronger and can be combod into but it's really hard but significantly less priority :/

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
G&W sucks because properly spaced bair and having to play the tech chase game with his dthrow

^^ in case anyone was wondering why I hate that mu

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
G&W sucks because properly spaced bair and having to play the tech chase game with his dthrow

^^ in case anyone was wondering why I hate that mu
I don't mind G&W even though he is a little scary. Spacing is so key in this MU. If you get grabbed then you have to mindgame your way out - or just constantly roll towards the edge or something. But we have the mobility to punish mistakes he makes and we can tamper with him a little offstage. The MU sits at -2 and I think that's where it should stay for now. But it's hard, yes.

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I don't pay much attention to official MU counters mostly because I just can't remember them, I kind of make my own observations and my observation is that turtle op

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't pay much attention to official MU counters mostly because I just can't remember them, I kind of make my own observations and my observation is that turtle op
It has some serious landing lag, you could try punishing it there.

But yes his turtle (My bro and I call him 'gary' :p) is pretty stupidly stupid. =/

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Do not submit to turtle, learn to SDI it and punish GaW every time he uses it.
(up and behind him if hes coming towards you, and then nair/bair/uair him)
(up and away if he's retreating from you)
some people get deliberately hit to SDI it and then punish GaW for much more %, but to do so you'd have to be confident in your SDI.

Tikao

Smash Ace
sdi'ing behind your opponent and ff uair is awesome in generell ... like against falco's jab, if he hits you with 1-2 jabs, you can just sdi behind him (upward so diagonal) and then ff-uair

Jamwa

Smash Champion
SDI is fundamental, and it is useful against every character in the game.
look it up, im sure there's a thread that you can read about that explains SDI and DI very well.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
He's asking if he can reflect special attacks OTHER THAN THOSE OF PIKACHU using ness's fsmash
Ah right.

Sorry Richard! =o

But as I was saying before, Ness can deflect every projectile in the game, so items, lasers, bombs, grenades, arrows, you name it.

Lucas can do it to with his Fsmash. =)

Scoot

Smash Cadet
This may have been asked before but with so many pages to go through I'd rather be lazy and not do that :p
Now, I've adapted my gameplay style of Ness towards using the wiimote It's just the type of style I picked up when starting to play Brawl when I picked it up back in 2008.
I understand that it's a lot easier to do some moves specially as Ness with a classic, game cube or nunchuck controller because of the multi-angle

Ok, my question is, being that I've used the wii mote for sometime now, are there any tips/pointers for a wiimote Ness player :)

Nido

ily Sebby
Wiimote on its own?

The only advice I can give is plug something into the wiimote or plug a gcc into the wii.

Also welcome to the ness board scoot, I feel like I've heard that name somewhere before though.

Scoot

Smash Cadet
Wiimote on its own?

The only advice I can give is plug something into the wiimote or plug a gcc into the wii.

Also welcome to the ness board scoot, I feel like I've heard that name somewhere before though.

Thankyou Nido ^.^ Scoot is a pretty common username so no doubt you would of heard it before.

Yeah, it might be hard to comprehend but that's how I've always played since picking up brawl, played a lot of Smash 64 with the 64 controller and didn't get a whole lot into Melee so I never quite learnt the GC controls. So yeah, I don't really plan on switching it up and learning classic controller or GC when I've learnt the wii mote in it's entirety even though there are obvious down factors.

I was just hoping there would be like minded or similar players that might be able to give tips on how to work more of an advantage.

Nido

ily Sebby
Well you're the first person I've ever known to even use a solo Wiimote.

I'm not sure how new you are to any competitive scene so ask anything general related to ness and we will help.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
, I don't really plan on switching it up and learning classic controller or GC when I've learnt the wii mote in it's entirety even though there are obvious down factors.

I was just hoping there would be like minded or similar players that might be able to give tips on how to work more of an advantage.

It's really difficult to use a D-pad for game heavily involving diagonal directions, or fighting games that require "Z" inputs. I'd love to see that in action, more power to ya xD

Scoot

Smash Cadet
Well you're the first person I've ever known to even use a solo Wiimote.

I'm not sure how new you are to any competitive scene so ask anything general related to ness and we will help.
I mainly just play people online and friends, there was a time where I signed up on a few smash bros tourney websites but that's about it.

It's really difficult to use a D-pad for game heavily involving diagonal directions, or fighting games that require "Z" inputs. I'd love to see that in action, more power to ya xD

Now the thing is P.I.E, I play a lot of fighters actually such as SF, Tekken and SkullGirls. Out of everyone of them smash brothers is the least technical of them all, you know, you don't need to know how to do a quarter circle A,B,B etc. etc.

Such is the reason I don't bother to use a GC, Classic or nunchuck because none of the characters (at least I don't think so) have technical circle/z/semi circle etc. inputs, in fact I prefer the wiimote because everything is close in and it's set up so tightly that I can quickly mash out buttons, the only things I miss out on is the quick smash, which would be the c-stick on the GC and even then I've managed to live without it because I find the majority of the time it's just useless.

But that's just my opinion.

Also your text xD I can't even read it without highlighting it.

Nido

ily Sebby
But with Ness being such a hugely aerial character depending on his insane aerial game to even compete, you need to make very minute movements in the air (especially Fair) that a stick allow you to do because with a wiimote if you press a direction on the d pad, it makes you move that way the fastest way you can, or instance you can't even walk with a wiimote. This is all as far as I know at least.

This will really hurt your Ness play imo.

Also your text xD I can't even read it without highlighting it.

Try reading bright blue, it's disgusting.

Scoot

Smash Cadet
But with Ness being such a hugely aerial character depending on his insane aerial game to even compete, you need to make very minute movements in the air (especially Fair) that a stick allow you to do because with a wiimote if you press a direction on the d pad, it makes you move that way the fastest way you can, or instance you can't even walk with a wiimote. This is all as far as I know at least.

This will really hurt your Ness play imo..
I don't know what to say :\ I've just always played like that.

It's true that he is a huge aerial character but the only downside I've found while using the wiimote and playing as Ness is the immobility in terms of his bolt and it causing you to lose some recovers you could of got out of in tighter situations, but knowing the limitations, map and allowing your character to float for a bit back after knock back giving you a shorter space to jump makes these less of a hassle when using the wiimote, for me anyway.

Other than that, the fact you can't walk isn't a issue for me and for the most part I like to think players run for the majority of the game (I know my friends and I do) and hitting the D-pad is just as quick and minute as it is on a joystick. Ofcourse this is all preference etc. ~insert witty comparison here~

I've just used it so much I've adapted my game style I guess..

Nido

ily Sebby
Scoot I'll tell you something, if you can get top 8 at Santasmash with your wiimote...

I'll give you $5 and I'll start playing brawl again seriously.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I'm having troubles with the Kirby MU...

My biggest issues come from his F-Smash/Grab/U-Tilt/B-Air and I can't seem to find a blindspot to him .___.

Top Bottom