• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I need help with the Yoshi MU.

I get hit by Yoshi Bomb more than I should and his Jab is beyond annoying... Basically outspeeds a lot of options I try. Lol

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I think you can fair/bair/uair the shells (they're pretty easy to shield/dodge though..)
I still get damaged by the explosion of the egg regardless, so I basically just trade hits for nothing lol
Also that wasn't necessarily my problem. :p

As I said I feel like I'm doing something wrong cause I'm getting hit by Yoshi Bomb more than I should, and Yoshi's Jab is super annoying for me. :p

Edit: Should I try to keep him in the air in front of me...?

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I still get damaged by the explosion of the egg regardless, so I basically just trade hits for nothing lol
Also that wasn't necessarily my problem. :p

As I said I feel like I'm doing something wrong cause I'm getting hit by Yoshi Bomb more than I should, and Yoshi's Jab is super annoying for me. :p

Edit: Should I try to keep him in the air in front of me...?
Fair beats all of his offensive attacks i think
if you're just jumping at him then of course it'll be easy for yoshi to hit ness
i think you just gotta play defensively and base your moves on reaction to his position
but dont run away or he'll spam you
kinda like the snake/falco MU

Jamwa

Smash Champion
How should I play the ness ditto?
I know that I'm not being specific when I word it like that.
Ex. play defensively, go for a lot of Nairs, Stay on the ground, ect.
fair
grab
uair before he dairs
nair oos
bair if you're close
usmash and dsmash suck
gimp with dair or psi mag

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
How should I play the ness ditto?
I know that I'm not being specific when I word it like that.
Ex. play defensively, go for a lot of Nairs, Stay on the ground, ect.
you dont, CP marth

your aerials are better than ness' ground game, however ness can gimp you. you can magnet his PK fire but he can dash grab you out of GR. ness' fair is a really good move with good range but you have a killer bthrow, a good dthrow setup and good combo ability. PK Flash is also magnetable by Ness but you can mindgame it or make him PKT2 into it

tough matchup but i think its even here. if he's more skilled then you he'll probably win.

Tikao

Smash Ace
i have to agree to the general idea behind Nido's post, but it's still a little bit diffrent
it's the other way around, people who advise that this MU are worshiped by satan, because they're so satan that even satan is jealous of them

Tikao

Smash Ace
well the MU depends on which ness you pick
pick the blue or green ness and you win
pick the normal ness for even
pick any other ness and you'll lose

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Ness vs. Ness is +5 Ness because Ness will always win.

This reminds me of how I beat everyone in Lucas dittos because they try to use Bair as a spacing tool.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
So um... Is it possible to explain this PKT2 angle? XD
Not sure if it was just wi-fi though lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA3gUF9TyqQ
Wall physics. you "bounced" from the inside kinda. since he was holding the ledge it allowed you to get closer to the stage without grabbing it. Also im pretty sure you have to hold down for this to happen (holding down makes you bounce from particular angles. maybe this isnt one of those angles so you didnt need to hold down but its the weirdest thing i've seen)

wow this attached file thing is so bad im keeping it

Attachments

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Many questions.

How do you use PSI Magnet?
It feels like it has some start-up and end lag...
It's been a long time since I played Ness, really... but when I used to kinda casually play Brawl, the only thing I could absorb was relatively slow things like Din's Fire. After that, I've rarely used it ever.
I know that PSI Magnet is mostly used for its windboxes and very rarely for gaining back some %, but what are some situations that one could use it for that property? I've seen people use it off the edge to push people, but the distance seems extremely minimal.

What should I do in a 4 person FFA situation? I feel that because of his range, he's not really suited for FFA, but meh, if I ever get into that situation, what should be my playstyle?

Uses of PK Jump? I really don't get it because often, it's PK Fire -> Bat, which I CANNOT dash to, or else I do a dash attack instead of bat... I might miss the bat with that extra distance?
And even if I miss PK fire, it seems that the distance you move away from your opponent is minimal and the opponent can still punish anyway.

LAST THING. :D
Cancelling landing lag for PK Fire; does airdodge have less landing lag or Nair?

Jamwa

Smash Champion
PK Jump is good because it gives you extra distance
cancel pkfire by either landing normally or jump >airdodge/aerial or another PK jump
PsiMag can be cancelled upon healing from something
you can also launch grenades away from yourself with the windbox
ness in a ffa spams Nair and Fair

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
In the OP, Ref says he uses default controls with rumble off.
So I'm assuming he uses tap jump.
So what are the advantages to tap jump for Ness?

Nido

ily Sebby
It's just personal preference, as far as I know there aren't any real advantages or disadvantages from using tap jump.

Nido

ily Sebby
Well there's a PK Fire tech that sends it horizontal when you land but I think it's frame perfect and useless in most situations

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Soo what's something nice that I can end a downtilt spam with? I think grab is nice, but sometimes when I press Z, I do a jab instead. I have to wait a bit to be able to grab again...
Usmash I think might be nice, but meh... it's a bit hard going from the A button to cstick. Or is that the best option?
I mean, Grab can lead to many things. Usmash is kinda a move to finish a combo...

I haven't read many things on Ness, and Ness is not my main anymore >.> but I think that utilt doesn't lead to much? it does put the opponent above Ness though.
(Who are characters who are at an ADVANTAGE above their opponent, if any?)

Random question:
Fair is awesome. But I still don't know WHY it's so awesome. What are the traits that make is so great, besides the low knockback?

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Soo what's something nice that I can end a downtilt spam with? I think grab is nice, but sometimes when I press Z, I do a jab instead. I have to wait a bit to be able to grab again...
press R + A, will always grab. press it quickly or you'll buffer a shield then grab which i think is 1 frame slower or something.
and what do you mean dtilt? if you're dtilting someone who is smart, they'll punish you for it with a move that out-ranges/prioritizes dtilt after they DI out.
utilt -> nair at low percents is good, or utilt -> utilt against any character that isnt pika/MK/luigi
fair is used retreating or as a spacing tool, and it's good for anti-air/anti-landing

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Can someone help me with the Kirby MU?

I struggle with it, because I find his Bair/Grab/F-Smash/U-Tilt really dumb and PK Fire isn't effective on him. >__>
(I guess it's because I like doing PK Fire strings and comboing but can't really do them on him, which is why the lightweight ******* along with Olimar and G&W tend to give me trouble lol)

Susi

Smash Apprentice
Can someone help me with the Kirby MU?
Try to be more patient. Fair doesn't seem to work very well against Kirby, so add some nairs and dairs in your play. And some strong bairs here and there. Uair is really strong against him when is trying to land. You should beat him in air battles.

His kill moves are almost as predictable as GW's, so he shouldn't kill you very easily onstage.

Don't airdodge after his low-percent throws!

By the way, PK Fire isn't always a very reliable tool. You should use it of course but try to find other ways to open your opponents up so you're not in trouble when your opponent is watching out for it. For example, approaching with shield seems to work well against Kirby.

Sorry for my circumlocutionary answer. Patience is the key!

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
lol Pika, there's a sticky with a lot of guides here. :p http://i.imgur.com/CuQxfCp.png

Also, just wondering...
How much higher on the tier list would Ness be if he didn't have his grab release animation? O.o
He has some SOLID moves, although they are extremely short ranged... which would hinder him a lot anyway... :/

Jamwa

Smash Champion
lol Pika, there's a sticky with a lot of guides here. :p http://i.imgur.com/CuQxfCp.png

Also, just wondering...
How much higher on the tier list would Ness be if he didn't have his grab release animation? O.o
He has some SOLID moves, although they are extremely short ranged... which would hinder him a lot anyway... :/
he'd be in the same spot because the grab release should not effect ness' performance at high level play
there's many ways around being grabbed, and other ways around being grab released
ness is low because bad frame data bad recov bad range bad priority bad grab bad projectile no shield pressure
ness performs well more often due to the player than the character

Top Bottom