• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness is Awesome

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
That's cute. Because Sheiks are generally lazy and/or bad at this game I usually do

D-throw --> dash attack --> DJC uair / FJ fair (depends on their DI) --> ???

I really like his up throw though. It leads to fun stuff. At worst you can try to start a fair chain and hit some glitter on the opponent

Dash dance --> PK Fire is funny

Max?

Smash Champion
99 stock Ness Dittos are Cruel and amazing...
n64 and I did this about 3 years ago. It lasted over 2 hours (not sure exactly how long as the timer stops keeping track after awhile) on Yoshi's Story.

He won on the last stock at 64%

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Honestly, playing 99 stock matches with competitive smashers is really fun, but I hardly ever do it. It really helps you learn the stage you are playing on.

Beat!

Smash Master
n64 and I did this about 3 years ago. It lasted over 2 hours (not sure exactly how long as the timer stops keeping track after awhile) on Yoshi's Story.

He won on the last stock at 64%
It... went down... to last stock?

Man, if that's not a TIGHT BATTUL, I don't know what is.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I really like this character but I wish his combo starters were more reliable =/

Also, I finally figured out how to grab the edge to trigger the thunder jacket consistently though. I'm sure everyone knows how to do this but I rarely play Ness so this is a big step for me. I actually learned a lot about how his Up+B angles work even though it feels really obvious in hindsight lmao.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
You can also trigger the thunder jacket by shooting yourself straight down into the stage!

You have to DJ first though to create space between you and the stage for it to work.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
mofo's ness is really good...actually does useful stuff instead of spamming dumb moves that wouldn't be good even if they hit..

only problem is the time it took mofo to train all that and learn what to do in those situations probably would have taken him farther with a better character...but at least he makes ness look viable rather than free

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ness is a character who moves and defends best on the ground but all his good attacks are aerials. What a bizarre design.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
It really is. All of his tilts are pretty cool. Missed tech d-tilt spam punish to fully charged tipper fsmash is his best combo.

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
I find a lot of utility in ness. His WD always spaces me to a spot im comfy with for some reason. The way he feels overall is just slick and badass.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
ness is cool, but i have one word for you my friends. spacing.

If ness is even slightly outspaced. its over. period. abreviated.

still fun to play against ( i should know my boy RUN plays him and we play nonstop)

R:U:N

Smash Cadet
Yeah, getting ccd in early percentages gets annoying
I guess you just have to be patient early on, if you overcommit with something like a fair that gets ccd and ultimately accomplishes nothing, you're gonna get punished pretty hard
I like to use dair/fsmash at mid percents against people who love ccing, there's nothing more hilarious than watching someone sent plummeting straight down into the abyss from an fsmash

Smash Cadet
True, I guess the people I play with a lot aren't necessarily of the highest level of play and get in the bad habbit of just gluing their analog stick down to cc lol
Still, any fsmash is a good one :awesome: Fsmash is just too amazing. The hitbox extends past the bat, it hits below the stage, it has a tipper sweetspot, and it can reflect projectiles. How many characters can say that about their fsmash?

odinNJ

Smash Lord
So let's talk about how f*** op jab reset fsmash is. RUN how do you even think of s**** like that

Also for the record I am not the cc spammer

Massive

Smash Champion
Jab reset fsmash is nice, but I'm still a huge fan of nair OoS.
****'s ridiculous.

Also PK thunder ledgeguards. I love me some PK thunder ledgeguards.

Smash Cadet
lol dude i didn't 'invent' d-tilt jab reset fsmash, it's just when you have this epic d-tilt and godly fsmash, the natural instinct is to put the two together
I don't nair oos enough, I need to use that more, nair is awesome
Actually, come to think of it, I don't nair all that much in general. I love ness' nair, it's like a tiny lower priority version of peach's nair. Pretty nice for edgeguarding
And PKT edgeguards are the ****, my favorites are the ones that end in looping back around for the PKT2
Also multiple tailwhips are just sexy

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Ness"s nair seems like it would be good in comboes, I don't know why, just the speed makes me think so

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
When is d-tilt reset > f-smash not optimal? Has any experimented with d-tilt reset > DJC uair / SHFFAC dair to see if they can get better returns from those in certain situations?

Like, I'd imagine vs someone fat like Ganon if they're mid stage on Battlefield or Dreamland it might be worthwhile to DJC uair > FJ weak backwards nair > DJ bair (or a similar setup) for the damage and putting him closer to the edge prior to finishing the combo.

Max?

Smash Champion
How to be good with Ness.

Fair, Nair and Bair alot.

Sometimes Uair, dtilt and fsmash

Smash Cadet
Has any experimented with d-tilt reset > DJC uair / SHFFAC dair to see if they can get better returns from those in certain situations?
Haha ness pillaring?
your opponent would have to miss the tech every time of course, but it's something you might be able to catch someone off guard with
i guess if you can react quickly enough you could chase the tech with another uair, or depending on the character just grab->uthrow
but yeah, definitely a better option from dtilt reset than straight to fsmash if they aren't within kill percentage, I wanna try this out sometime

Top Bottom