• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NERD RAGE (Project M) - August 17th, 2013 - Cincinnati, OH

Should we move the date?

• Yes, push it back to September.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, keep it where it is.

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
consider me confirmed.

looking for a teammate to bop relfex/strong bad and oro?/kirk

Oracle

Smash Master
its the 17th

im holding off to register until I see enough interest. too busy with my own tournament to put that money down

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Super awesome announcement!!!!

It will be very possible to extend this to the 18th for a 2-day event, for those of you that are interested in such. Arcade Legacy has agreed to reserve the space for a second day, which we can use for mad smashfesting/money-matches/additional crew battles, etc, if nothing else.

It would be another $5 venue fee for the second day.... but! Arcade Legacy is cool with collecting the venue fees for each day separately, so if you come and only stay for the first day, you still only pay for the first day. Basically they'll just take the second day's at the door if you show up.

its the 17th

im holding off to register until I see enough interest. too busy with my own tournament to put that money down
You know I'll give you a refund if we don't get enough people, right? :O

Never mind that we already have definite interest from some of the top people and cities in the PM scene. At this point I don't know how anybody else could look at this and say, "huh, I dunno...."

I know most of you-- being smashers-- will spend upwards of $30 on pizza, McDonalds, alcohol or something of the sort this week alone. I'm not sure why $20-30 is so hard to part with now, especially with the attendance guarantee. That kind of leeriness is what stops potentially great tournaments from taking off. As far as I can tell, it is literally the only thing that might stop this tournament from taking off.

That being said... The tournament will happen regardless, and you are welcome to sign up at the door if you want. But hype works better with real commitments. :)

Oracle

Smash Master
No offense dr x but I'm not gonna give a stranger on the internet $40 just because you promise you'll give it back >.>

also scyther i'm not sure why you're so excited about me coming back to embarass your region again

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Alright I'm registered so yeah....that happened lol.

*edit* - btw I can bring a full setup, I know these kind of events hurt for them.

Oracle

Smash Master
Can I get confirmed for a ride from chicago to cincinatti? My award miles expire today and I need to book a flight

Oracle

Smash Master
Just kidding already booked the flight. Still not going to pre reg for reasons already stated but go ahead and count me confirmed

And go ahead and tell the arcade legacy guys to make the event 2 days. 15 for venue is pretty expensive but theres no way in hell you can finish an event of this size in a day

Oracle

Smash Master
I should be fine on housing in chicago for thursday night, since my dad has an apartment there, but I do need a ride and housing in OH. hotel room anybody?

arcadelegends

Smash Cadet
We are definitely confirmed for two days.

Does you guys ever make event posters? I know a good amount of fighting game events do this (including my own), but I have never seen this at a Smash event. I'd like to have a contest for designing a poster for this event. The winner would get free venue for both days and their tournament entries paid for by me. If there's enough interest, I could get posters made and sell them at the tournament. If you want to make a design and can't make it to the tournament, I can come up with another prize.

I will wait to get some feedback here and then post it up on Facebook as well if people are interested in doing this.

Dopey

Smash Lord
I'm down to grab a hotel for fri\sat...

Also still need a teammate for melee/pm I beat m2k in some tourny matches for PM so I'm not a terrible penguin/sonic/zelda

Dopey

Smash Lord
Oh just PM good enough ^^

Still need a good teammate for it loll

Tinkster

Smash Apprentice
if theres going to be 2 days, how can we notttt have melee 0_o...im not sure if i can make this yet, but oracle saying hes beaten the MW ppl that matter cept 2 =DDDD....team chicagos got some killers he hasnt beaten yet =).

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'd seriously consider not coming if there was Melee ... The whole point of this tournament is a Project M exclusive national.

Tinkster

Smash Apprentice
hey, i hear ya there....cept every regional/national melee event has also included pm 0_o....why so much anger back =(....we should embrace the communitys as much as possible.

i mean, id never even raise the question if this was one day, but making it 2 days, and thats alot of time u will potentially have free anyway.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Melee tournaments go without PM all the time, so why is it impossible to go the opposite route? No one who plays PM hates melee, or at least not completely otherwise PM probably wouldn't be appealing, but I bet there are quite a number of PM players who either don't play Melee anymore or have never played Melee. I don't really think JCaesar is mad, he just has no intention of playing melee, and would most likely want to see the amount of hype PM exclusively could generate. I am also really interested in this because I have no love for the type of people who enter PM simply because it is there and they can make money rather than actually enjoying it. Every time I hear complaints of "Fox isn't identical to Melee" or "this feels off", I feel like telling people to not bother playing. PM is not Melee and it will never be Melee. People who are good with a Melee character and expect to win, or think x character is so op vs my Melee character have flawed reasoning. No, Ike is not op anymore, you just have 0 clue how to actually fight him or what the matchup is like. When the game is completed and balanced, it will be pretty apparent who actually plays PM and who does not among the good players. Just my $.02.

I would play Melee if it was here, but I respect the decision to not have Melee. Having a major tournament completely focused on PM definitely appeals to me more at this point than multiple events.

Also Sonic does not reflect my views of the rest of PM.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
the event is more focused on the players who actually put time into pm rather than those who enter it as a side/main event who don't really play pm much and just use it for another paycheck

ok fine kyle, ninja me

B.W.

Smash Champion
Because if Melee was there then the people who started with Melee would most likely come and only play Melee because it's still the more played game.

There's no anger, but this is supposed to be a big chance for P:M to shine as a main event, and if the current lead game ends up getting there there's no doubt that it would overshadow what is meant to be the main event.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Like others have said, the very idea of this tournament is to prove once and for all that PM can stand on its own. We know that a lot of Melee and Brawl players pick it up for side events, but we don't want side event hype. We want main event hype. We want to be sure that the people that are coming here will be here for Project M.

I hope Melee-loving folks can understand the worry-- how having Melee here might in some way compromise our goals. That being said, I am very open to the idea of doing some Melee stuff on the second day. That's not a confirmation, though-- just my personal thoughts that will not be acted on without extensive discussion. The last thing I want to do is alienate the folks who've been working so hard in helping me promote a PM-only event-- many of whom were excited more than anything by the phrase "PM-only" for reasons described above.

I'll be happy to discuss it further, but I must ask everyone to remain civil about this. I cannot stress this enough. We do not want to go down the road of hating each other and dividing the communities. No matter what, it goes nowhere good.

Not that we aren't doing great so far. Let's just make sure we keep it that way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom