• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NERD RAGE (Project M) - August 17th, 2013 - Cincinnati, OH

Should we move the date?

• Yes, push it back to September.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, keep it where it is.

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Ok so the 10th it is, then. I updated this in the Other Considerations section.

As of right now it seems people are waiting to preregister for whatever reason, unless my **** is broken, which if it is you fine gentlemen should let me know so I can fix it.

I will naturally be holding off on updates to the progress bar and reregistration list until someone besides metroid signs up. I hope that will be sooner rather than later, though I guess we do still have a little under two months to hit our goal.

Allow me to reiterate, though: I have no intention of holding an event where someone travels 300+ miles for a crappy prize pool because all the people who "said" they would come didn't show. This tournament-- as described anyway-- will *not* occur if we do not hit our goal of 50 pre-registrants. That way, even if a ton of people don't show, we still have money to give to the winners. :)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
There is a problem with this though. Personally, I'm not going to take off work for a tournament that "maybe" happening and won't sign up until it hits 50. I'm sure there are others like this. I would ask off work regardless of how many people were going if I knew the tournament was actually going to happen.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm mostly waiting until after I've done my booking and planning for EVO to pre-reg for this.

Scythe

Smash Master
i assume people were just waiting to see what the date would actually be before registering. Not everyone is the nicest person in the world like metroid

Doctor X

Smash Lord
There is a problem with this though. Personally, I'm not going to take off work for a tournament that "maybe" happening and won't sign up until it hits 50. I'm sure there are others like this. I would ask off work regardless of how many people were going if I knew the tournament was actually going to happen.
I'll say this-- the tournament will happen one way or another, but if we don't hit the goal it will be a mostly local event where everyone just pays their entry as they walk in. I can't imagine someone wanting to come from St. Louis for an event like that, but if you want to, you're more than welcome. In fact, I will be taking sign-ups for locals at the door one way or another, because Arcade Legacy is going on to advertise this event through their own channels, so locals who have never seen this thread may show up without ever knowing that preregistration was a thing. The preregistration is there for out-of-state people who want some definite idea of the size of the prize pool before coming out, as well as for locals who want to attract out-of-staters.

Columbus, for example, would probably come down one way or the other-- they are, after all, only like a 1.5 hour drive away. If all of them preregistered, though, they'd add their numbers to the guaranteed turnout that out-of-staters would see, thus increasing the chance that we'll see folks like yourself and metroid and Strong Bad. The 50-man guarantee also means that folks like yourself, metroid, and Strong Bad don't have to wait on Columbus to sign up, because if Columbus doesn't sign up to help us drive the attendance past 50, you guys will probably just get your money back.

My hope is that these things combined will, like Kickstarter, drive the number of people willing to sign up well past 50. If it does, I'll keep pre-registration open all the way up until a week before the event. If it doesn't? Well... the tournament will still happen, but the pre-registration money will be sent back to you, and you will be free to decide whether or not to come to something with no guarantee of turnout.

You'll know for certain one way or another by June 13th-- seeing as that's the deadline for the 50-- and the tournament is not until August 10th. That's about 2 months time to let your job know what's up. I set this relatively early deadline for a reason-- that way people who need to make arrangements with work and so forth have plenty of time to do so.

If your job needs more than 2 months notice for an off day... Holy crap man, tournaments must be really hard for you, and mad props for being as involved in the scene as you are.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
TBH, as long as Chicago goes and there's no Brawl or Melee there I am 100% interested in coming regardless of the actual turnout.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Pre-registration is a good thing, imo. I don't want to drive up there from the southern tip of Alabama with no guarantee that there's going to be more than 20 people there. Pre-registration doesn't hurt your wallet so badly that it should be offensive and it DOES help get solid commitments.

I was waiting on the date change. I have people in Ohio/Kentucky that I want to go see at some point this summer, so I'll be pre-registering as soon as I can make a bank deposit.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'll say this-- the tournament will happen one way or another, but if we don't hit the goal it will be a mostly local event where everyone just pays their entry as they walk in. I can't imagine someone wanting to come from St. Louis for an event like that, but if you want to, you're more than welcome. In fact, I will be taking sign-ups for locals at the door one way or another, because Arcade Legacy is going on to advertise this event through their own channels, so locals who have never seen this thread may show up without ever knowing that preregistration was a thing. The preregistration is there for out-of-state people who want some definite idea of the size of the prize pool before coming out, as well as for locals who want to attract out-of-staters.

Columbus, for example, would probably come down one way or the other-- they are, after all, only like a 1.5 hour drive away. If all of them preregistered, though, they'd add their numbers to the guaranteed turnout that out-of-staters would see, thus increasing the chance that we'll see folks like yourself and metroid and Strong Bad. The 50-man guarantee also means that folks like yourself, metroid, and Strong Bad don't have to wait on Columbus to sign up, because if Columbus doesn't sign up to help us drive the attendance past 50, you guys will probably just get your money back.

My hope is that these things combined will, like Kickstarter, drive the number of people willing to sign up well past 50. If it does, I'll keep pre-registration open all the way up until a week before the event. If it doesn't? Well... the tournament will still happen, but the pre-registration money will be sent back to you, and you will be free to decide whether or not to come to something with no guarantee of turnout.

You'll know for certain one way or another by June 13th-- seeing as that's the deadline for the 50-- and the tournament is not until August 10th. That's about 2 months time to let your job know what's up. I set this relatively early deadline for a reason-- that way people who need to make arrangements with work and so forth have plenty of time to do so.

If your job needs more than 2 months notice for an off day... Holy crap man, tournaments must be really hard for you, and mad props for being as involved in the scene as you are.
This makes sense, and I should be fine getting off, I just don't want to ask off too early and then end up not going to the tournament and not working either. Like SB I am interested in going regardless of turnout if good players are there. I just wanted to know that the tournament wouldn't be cancelled.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
IT'S TIME

UNMASKING MY NEW SECONDARY AT THIS TOURNAMENT

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Super-excited. Count me in.

EDIT: A dog destroyed my wallet and the card I would've used to pre-reg. Expect me to pre-reg within a week's time.

B.W.

Smash Champion
**** all these guys goin? I need to try my hardest to get to this regardless of the long ride.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's also worth noting that I live in Phenix City, AL, which is just east of Columbus, GA, which is -just- past the 500-mile radius for the pot bonus limit. Woo~

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Small point: in your set procedure you have the winner choosing their controller port before his opponent. This should be switched.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
It's also worth noting that I live in Phenix City, AL, which is just east of Columbus, GA, which is -just- past the 500-mile radius for the pot bonus limit. Woo~
Even if you weren't, I'm from Mobile which is another 200 miles away.

If you win, you should totally pay the whole gas bill. Sounds like a great plan from my point of view.

Also, I want to know if you guys are okay with ASL streaming at this event. Our streamer is interested in going and, even if he's not, I can run it if need be.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
For you I'll make an exception. Tournament would be too hype with you and I'd hate to give you reasons to not go. :O

Small point: in your set procedure you have the winner choosing their controller port before his opponent. This should be switched.
Done.

Also, I want to know if you guys are okay with ASL streaming at this event. Our streamer is interested in going and, even if he's not, I can run it if need be.
Sounds great to me. Streaming will certainly be needed.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
My mistake; I meant that I was just west, which meant that I qualified. I would be very interested, regardless. Anyway, again, I am excited. I hope this turns out to be a huge success, and I hope I can be a part of it.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Some people from AZ might be coming up. Shout outs to Ziltoid
Far too much epic lining up for this tournament... and yet, not enough.

Consequently, Ziltoid is far too omnicient to be hearing puny hu-mon shouting with puny hu-mon lungs. He extends far superior Ziltoidian shouts towards your RUSH avatar, however.

Rizner

Smash Ace
I'm in. Put my city as phoenix, as that's where I've played all my P:M and who I would do pie crew battles with. Moving to Cincinnati, though, so idk if that would count towards the pot bonus, lol.

Scythe

Smash Master
chicago is going to stomp pie crews.
and by stomp, i mean eat lots of pie.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm not much of a fan of fruit filling. I must win for glorious non-fruit enjoyment.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'm with Reflex, even though he's the enemy.

I like me some chocolate pudding pie.

I really hope I can get in on this.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm with Reflex, even though he's the enemy.
I'm glad you understand.

That said, I think I could tolerate, like, strawberry or blueberry. If no chocolate or vanilla-esque thing exists, I'll just have to rip the blueberry away from those who want it. :3

Oro?!

Smash Hero
So this is going to become more of a take away the Pie that people want than take what you want. I will take ALL of the french silk pie from you.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Just curious - since more people have started jumping on the hype train, what's the preregistration count at?
We've got two now. That's twice as many as we had before, so... super hype! :O :O :O

Also I think cheesecake is technically pie because it doesn't have yeast? I dunno, why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom