• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
okay thanks, i've been practicing for a hour or so now, and i've nailed it!

also, i often do smash attacks by accident when trying to tilt. is there a trick?
well...as the name implies, tilt your controller to the direction you want to do the tilt in and press A. if you cant ge4t it, try it in practice mode. its not that hard ;)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, just practice a ton... I try and tilt the control stick very slightly; I find it's easier than tilting it close-to-full-but-not-quite. Up-tilts are much much easier if you have tap-jump off.

Also note that Ftilts (and Fsmashes) can usually be directed downwards, central, or upwards, by angling the control-stick (or the C-stick? I think?) between forward-and-down to forward-and-up. Soooo...... yeah, practice. :ohwell:

metroid1117

Smash Master
What are the top 3 most technical characters in the game?
Technical as in speed, timing, or both? Diddy and ICs are definitely up there, I don't know about the top though.

How does the DACUS work? Is it possible to DAC into any other moves?
How does it work meaning how do you do it or how do the game mechanics make it possible? It works by canceling the your dash attack with your USmash while retaining your momentum; why the game allows this, I'm not sure. To do it, the easiest way is to dash, C-stick down to start the dash attack, and then hit up+Z before your hitbox comes out in order to USmash. Another way is to use up+A instead of up+Z, but you have to slide your index finger down to the A button; it's pretty easy to use up+Z for all characters except Sheik, which most (if not all) people use up+A. I don't believe that it is possible to DAC into other moves, otherwise it would cause some pretty big news.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
A friend of mine has recorded Replays of our games. However, they were over 3 minutes long but he could record them anyway because he had used the hack that allows the game to record matches over 3 minutes

I would like my friend to send the replays to me but I haven't hacked my Wii or Brawl in any shape or form. Is it safe for my friend to send me these replays that can only be obtained via hacking your Wii/Brawl? They are of normal matches - the only hack used is the 'Record stuff longer than 3 minutes' hack

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Technical as in speed, timing, or both? Diddy and ICs are definitely up there, I don't know about the top though.

How does it work meaning how do you do it or how do the game mechanics make it possible? It works by canceling the your dash attack with your USmash while retaining your momentum; why the game allows this, I'm not sure. To do it, the easiest way is to dash, C-stick down to start the dash attack, and then hit up+Z before your hitbox comes out in order to USmash. Another way is to use up+A instead of up+Z, but you have to slide your index finger down to the A button; it's pretty easy to use up+Z for all characters except Sheik, which most (if not all) people use up+A. I don't believe that it is possible to DAC into other moves, otherwise it would cause some pretty big news.
I meant how does the game allow it, and I got an answer from another board. Thanks tjough, that was a big post.

I heard you can DAC into a grab though, but I can't do it. Does anyone have a video of how to?

Cero

Smash Lord
^^

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any videos showing off forward grab boosts. So, instead I just copied the explanation of how to do it from Vyse's thread.

- Boosting Technique: Grab Boosting
How to Perform: Initiate a dash attack by pressing the c-stick down, then press Grab during the dash attack's opening frames.
Effect: The added momentum of the cancelled dash attack remains in effect, providing a small boost to the Dash Grab's range.
However, there were a bunch of videos showing off reverse grab boosts.

boost pivot Grabing (demo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYTSfToYlLc&feature=related

- Boosting Technique: Reverse Grab Boosting
How to Perform: Initiate a dash attack with C-stick down, then press the opposite direction you are travelling and Grab during the attack's opening frames.
Effect: Character grabs backwards and slides in the direction of the dash. Different from the Pivot Grab because (1) most characters gain a momentum boost from this, and (2) this can be performed from an initial dash instead of waiting for the character to run.
OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169086
Best Characters: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4480238&postcount=22
Video1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD9II3yhHlg
video2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qark60PsIQ
video3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpMPQnabTEs&feature=user

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Hey guys ^^ I need advice. I attended a 2v2 tourney last Saturday, and I got 3rd place! ^^ I think I did a good job, but I didn't do as awesome in the 1v1 tourney -_- (and neither did my partner >_<). Anyway, everyone seemed really focused on one single character, and it really showed. I lost a Peach ditto against a pretty good Peach, so I think I really should focus only on 3 characters. Lately, I've been playing a lot with Mario and Jigglypuff (I play 8 characters in total...), and while I have tons of fun with them, my supposedly 3 best characters are getting rusty ~_~ What should I do? Should I completely abandon every character except for my 3 mains? I guess they'd obviously get better, since I spend lots of time with other characters, but that'd take a big part of the fun out for me... I was even trying to learn Luigi.

I'm curious to read your opinions! ^^

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
rm88, it is basically all about what is important to you! If you play the game for the fun, and learning to progress all your characters, then you should stay with your eight. However, if you are like me and enjoy being competitive and want to be the best you can, it is my opinion that focusing on less characters allows you to progress faster.

If you went to a large tournament, you probably got a lot of time in for friendlies. There is nothing wrong with taking two characters into a tournament, but playing around with your lesser characters in matches that don't matter as much.

In the end, it is your choice and you should consider what your goal is with smash, and how you should accomplish that best.

A.A

Smash Cadet
i was just messing around with link yesterday and this is what happened

Hanged on to the edge, plucked a bomb, hanged back on, and then i jumped up pressed down and z and this dropped a bomb on to the stage but it diddn't explode. Is this a technique that people haven't heard of? How can you put it to good use?

infomon

Smash Scientist

Hanged on to the edge, plucked a bomb, hanged back on, and then i jumped up pressed down and z and this dropped a bomb on to the stage but it diddn't explode. Is this a technique that people haven't heard of? How can you put it to good use?
Good find, but it's actually a technique that the Link boards have known about for quite some time.

Link's full o' tricks :bee:

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro

It's a useless technique off the stage unless you enjoy getting blown up by your own bombs or forced into retreating in a predictable way by removing some of your possible entrances back into the stage.

The concept of dropping bombs and having them stay there is only really useful say on Battlefield platforms after someone dies. You can plop one on the bottom left or right platforms making a person weary about approaching you as their invincibility frames are about to wear off.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
rm88, it is basically all about what is important to you! If you play the game for the fun, and learning to progress all your characters, then you should stay with your eight. However, if you are like me and enjoy being competitive and want to be the best you can, it is my opinion that focusing on less characters allows you to progress faster.

If you went to a large tournament, you probably got a lot of time in for friendlies. There is nothing wrong with taking two characters into a tournament, but playing around with your lesser characters in matches that don't matter as much.

In the end, it is your choice and you should consider what your goal is with smash, and how you should accomplish that best.
I guess I'll keep all my characters, but I'll spend most time playing with my 3 mains ^^ I play Brawl for the fun, but I also love being competitive.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
If your enemy rolls behind you successfully, what are the best ways to deal with them behind you? Because that seems to be my worst spot: keeping enemies in front of me and nailed from behind (both attacks and grabs)
(I use Marth if that helps with the question)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
If your enemy rolls behind you successfully, what are the best ways to deal with them behind you? Because that seems to be my worst spot: keeping enemies in front of me and nailed from behind (both attacks and grabs)
I would say as Marth a Dancing Blade into the opponent is good... A charged smash is nice if they are in KO range.

When are they rolling behind you? After approaches or just running in and rolling? Consider the situation, then go ask at the QandA thread in the Marth boards for more specific answers.

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
If you can then short jump his reverse air attack, you should get a critical (end of blade) slash, and if you don't then follow up with his frontal air attack and then when on the ground use his right smash attack.

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
Been searchin' round and haven't found any type of speed tier list thing. Anyone have a link to one?

Btw, I used search. So.... yeah. Oh, and merry christmas eve!

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Does initiating an aerial cut the lag time it takes to fastfall from a shorthop and/or a Full jump?

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Can't Toon Link's bombs hit with the "fuse"? I remember it happening, but I sorta need reassurance. The "fuse" hit has like no knockback, but has some stun if I remember right...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Does initiating an aerial cut the lag time it takes to fastfall from a shorthop and/or a Full jump?
No. A fastfall can be initiated at the height of your jump.
To be more clear.... you can fastfall as soon as you reach the peak height of your jump, or anytime during your descent... whether or not you're in an aerial. Which is awesome.

Also, if you're in knockback you can fastfall anytime during an aerial, or after you've escaped hitstun through some other means (airdodge, z-air, or item throw). That is, you don't need to reach your peak height. Which is super-awesome.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
What're the advantages of having a higher/lower controller port?
the lower you are wins
= when two people grab each other

higher you are wins
=when you grab someone. and something explodes hitting both of you(such as snakes nades) the lower person takes damage and flies off while the higher port has no knockback and only suffers from a grab break and takes minimum damage. (only usefully for snake btw)
Its kind of tricky. look up faux super armor. a good example would be mk and snake. Snake pulls out nade. MK grabs snake and UPthrows. and the bomb goes off on the top of the map.
Higher port wins( experiences no knockback)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhmRoAz_4CQ <-- good example

Denzi

Smash Master
the lower you are wins
= when two people grab each other

higher you are wins
=when you grab someone. and something explodes hitting both of you(such as snakes nades) the lower person takes damage and flies off while the higher port has no knockback and only suffers from a grab break and takes minimum damage. (only usefully for snake btw)
Its kind of tricky. look up faux super armor. a good example would be mk and snake. Snake pulls out nade. MK grabs snake and UPthrows. and the bomb goes off on the top of the map.
Higher port wins( experiences no knockback)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhmRoAz_4CQ <-- good example
It must be the other way around then, because Omni was Player 4 in that vid o_O

Cero

Smash Lord
I think when he said "higher wins", he meant the highest port number wins. (In this case, port 4 would be the highest and port 1 would be the lowest.)

So in his example, the person controlling port 1 would always win in a grab war. And, the person controlling port 4 would always be the one who survives the omnigay.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
yes that is what i meant
also controller ports also have to do something with dedecide/ganoncide/bowsercides i dont know how it works butapparently controller port does have an affect on if theres a suddendeath or not

SCOTU

Smash Hero
iirc, ganoncide wins if ganon's at a higher port, and trades if lower port.

worst port shenanigans is who gets hit when holding/being grabbed and someone hits you.

Cross.

Smash Ace
Sorry for being a noob(or if this was asked already..too many pages >_>) but how exactly do you powersheild dash? Isn't powersheilding when you sheild a move as it hits you so that your sheild doesn't go down? So how do you powersheild dash?

PoseidonsEnd

Smash Rookie
Does the decay for moves reset it self every time a stock is lost? Like if you use F smash 3 times, then die, will the move, and the rest, be fresh when spawning again?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Sorry for being a noob(or if this was asked already..too many pages >_>) but how exactly do you powersheild dash? Isn't powersheilding when you sheild a move as it hits you so that your sheild doesn't go down? So how do you powersheild dash?
You are correct in about powershielding attacks. When someone says "powershield a dash" they probably mean "powershield a dash attack.

You have it in context? I am pretty sure the only dash you can powershield is a dash attack...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom