• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
The best way to train (unquestionably) is with some friends. Just fight to your heart's content.
That's it. Over time, you and your friends will get better.

The other option (when you can't find anybody to play with) is to train on the cpu's. The best levels for cpu training are levels 3 and 4. Just practice up on timing and spacing.

Level 9's aren't the best practice as they tend to develop bad habits in a player's playstyle. Therefore, making them predictable.
Oh ok thanks

Midna-fan

Smash Cadet
I've heard about Brawl reading the c-stick in strange ways, could someone explain that to me.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
so whats the deal with falco's illusion edge cancel? i can't seem to do it. i was under the impression it was the same thing as wolfs.

?!?!?!?!?!

infomon

Smash Scientist
what does advanced teching mean i know what teching means but advanced teching i havent heard of and how do i do it?
Heh, it's "advanced techniques" not "advanced teching" lol. ATs mean just nonobvious parts of a character's moveset, like dash-attack cancelling up-smashes, glide tossing, and strange character-specific moves, etc.

NRD4toonlink

Smash Cadet
I am new here but i am kinda good with luigi. i was wondering is there a way to cancel his side special? and also can some one teach me the luigi tornado recovery technique?? id ont use it since i never ever knoked down but when i some how fall off the stage adn i am to far from the edge to use upspecial i try it and fail. i do the repeated B button taping but it never happens correctly.i just fall ...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Check the Luigi board for Luigi-specific info (same goes for Falco... heh). But with his down-B you just mash the button a lot, I never play Luigi but the one time I tried I got it pretty high.... just try MOAR B and you should be good :) afaik....

Veng

Smash Ace
Hello I am curious if my theory is right.

In smash the more you play the better in general you get right? yea you gotta learn things but how are you NOT gonna learn new techniques ( IE Pikachus Grab> Uthrow>D>B is an 100% ko at 70% plus damage ) just by expierimenting?

So youll not only get a better feeling for the whole game, but you will vastly improve for that character right?

Because Ive gotten reallly good with pikachu I won the gamestop tourney and my friends cant beat me now, but im moving on to sheik because I like her style more and her AT's are soooo much funner.

infomon

Smash Scientist
You still cannot play the perfect Pikachu. So there's still lots for you to learn. :)

Sounds like you need to find tougher opponents, though :urg: which can be hard.

Veng

Smash Ace

In smash the more you play the better in general you get right? yea you gotta learn things but how are you NOT gonna learn new techniques ( IE Pikachus Grab> Uthrow>D>B is an 100% ko at 70% plus damage ) just by expierimenting?

So youll not only get a better feeling for the whole game, but you will vastly improve for that character right?

Because Ive gotten reallly good with pikachu I won the gamestop tourney and my friends cant beat me now, but im moving on to sheik because I like her style more and her AT's are soooo much funner.
Thats true, but i would rather play sheik, is my theory right or some what right? explain :(

Steel_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
try learning all ATs for pika and try to do all of them in one match if you can you play great no amazingly well with pika otherwise feel free to flame me for saying something which i dont know is true or bleh i dk sorry

Royale

Smash Journeyman

its not really a theory, its your train of thought and how you 'feel' about it. When your on the playing field your mind basically encompasses your character. If you dislike having to 're-learn' or adjust your move set just to use a new AT then dont use it at all.

Its your call if you wanna main someone else. As for getting better, just reflect on matches you've won and lost. Ask yourself a few questions; "What did i do wrong?" "How could i have done better?" "What attacks am i relying too much on?"

Ripply

Smash Rookie
Is there a good introductory thread for a newbie-Smasher-hoping-to-turn-competitive? There are tons of tactical threads I've seen lying around, and I've attempted to read some of them, but the terms are confusing, and I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Things like what are the basics, what are the technical things, and most of all, how do I start, are questions I've wanted answered. I've went to the Character boards, too, but it's just more of the same. I'm extremely confused.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've been lurking around now for the better part of a month, confused and in fear that I'd get in trouble for asking in the first place. Thanks, and once again, I'm really sorry if I've caused any trouble. ):

infomon

Smash Scientist
Lol don't worry so much, these boards are for the lolz, we don't usually bite :) although some ppl can be jerks, they're just jerks.

There is a lot of information/terminology about brawl, you could spend a long time reading it, so be prepared. The starting place for your journey is here:
[Thread of links to important threads]

Some of the linked articles are IMO junk, some are probably what you're looking for (definitions of terminology, tips for getting competitive, etc.), some are just insanely detailed scientific approaches to figuring out the internals of Brawl's engine and how it relates to subtle aspects of gameplay.

When I started out here, I read through many guides and a lot of info that I didn't understand, but eventually helped me sort things out in my head :) So just slog through it as long as you're still amused by this silly game.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
DI = Directional Influence. What's that? Influence your direction by either hitting the joystick or the cstick

Ripply

Smash Rookie
Lol don't worry so much, these boards are for the lolz, we don't usually bite :) although some ppl can be jerks, they're just jerks.

There is a lot of information/terminology about brawl, you could spend a long time reading it, so be prepared. The starting place for your journey is here:
[Thread of links to important threads]

Some of the linked articles are IMO junk, some are probably what you're looking for (definitions of terminology, tips for getting competitive, etc.), some are just insanely detailed scientific approaches to figuring out the internals of Brawl's engine and how it relates to subtle aspects of gameplay.

When I started out here, I read through many guides and a lot of info that I didn't understand, but eventually helped me sort things out in my head :) So just slog through it as long as you're still amused by this silly game.
Okay. Thanks very much, infzy. I'm glad I wasn't wrong to ask. n_n

J4pu

Smash Champion
Question:
If an attack is being punished by diminishing returns will it still knock them on their butt at the same percentage as if it was fresh? IE does being knocked down depend on knockback speed or %?

This isn't some completely pointless question, I want to know for the sake of LL.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
does the second use of a diminished move still have he same knock back as a fresh one if I use 1 move inbetween them?

CipherPol

Smash Rookie
When people say Z-air, does it just refer to dropping an item in midair or is there something more to it?

Hype

Smash Lord
does the second use of a diminished move still have he same knock back as a fresh one if I use 1 move inbetween them?
it make a very slight difference.

if you use attack X, then use 8 other attacks, then use attack X. Attack X is about 10% then the second time you use attack X back to back.

Sunstar

Smash Apprentice
I have got a question. I dont know how it is called in the english version... but i'll try to explain how to get to my question

you are in the main menu
you push the button which is the very right one in the lower line (i think it is called data)
then the right one (statistics?)
then the left one with the two flags on it (group statistics?)
then press R on your controller (for the second window)
then press 13 times down
the chart i mean is right between the chart that shows the playtime in % and the chart that shows the miles your characters have walked already

here my game shows characters that are normaly not used on my wii
with low numbers. i really dont know what those numbers say and how there are changed or changeable

is anybody able to understand what i am trying to ask and knows an answer?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I have got a question. I dont know how it is called in the english version... but i'll try to explain how to get to my question

you are in the main menu
you push the button which is the very right one in the lower line (i think it is called data)
then the right one (statistics?)
then the left one with the two flags on it (group statistics?)
then press R on your controller (for the second window)
then press 13 times down
the chart i mean is right between the chart that shows the playtime in % and the chart that shows the miles your characters have walked already

here my game shows characters that are normaly not used on my wii
with low numbers. i really dont know what those numbers say and how there are changed or changeable

is anybody able to understand what i am trying to ask and knows an answer?
Heh, no problem understanding your question. "Statistics" is actually called Records, but same thing really, you were right about the other stuff.

The chart is called "Average group size". What it means is, on average, when you use the character, how many people are in the brawl; two, three, or four? On mine I have DeDeDe at the top, with average group size of 3.21. I almost never use DeDeDe, so apparently when I do, it's usually in FFA or team matches. Which makes sense.

Hope that helps :)

J4pu

Smash Champion
So nobody can answer my question?
here it is again:
Question:
If an attack is being punished by diminishing returns will it still knock them on their butt at the same percentage as if it was fresh? IE does being knocked down depend on knockback speed or %?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@J4pu:
That's a question that warrants its own topic. It's actually a very good question.
I've never thought about it before.

My guess would be that there's a relationship between an attack's current freshness and the percentage needed for it to occurr.

And you don't mean attacks that cause tripping right?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I suspect it's based on what state you're in when you hit the ground. When you get attacked, first you're in hitlag, then hitstun, and at higher percents you go into tumble. (Hmm, is that transition based on damage or knockback? I think damage....)

I'd guess that tumble -> ground causes the "knocked down" state, not sure if it's the same for hitstun or not.... hmmm maybe I'm totally wrong about all this, I'd go experiment but I can't atm. If noone else reports here then I'll do some tests tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom