• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diemonds

Smash Apprentice
^^^ no what you talkin about Lv 9 computers is his best option ''unpredictable'' y would u want to be able to read ur opponent? then it would be to easy of a win if u cant beat a regular computer u need to practice but if u can put on a handicap on I personal put a hanicap on 80% and play the computers it works trust me when ur at a high percent and u v.s the computer they become alot TOUGHER

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
^^^ no what you talkin about Lv 9 computers is his best option ''unpredictable'' y would u want to be able to read ur opponent? then it would be to easy of a win if u cant beat a regular computer u need to practice but if u can put on a handicap on I personal put a hanicap on 80% and play the computers it works trust me when ur at a high percent and u v.s the computer they become alot TOUGHER
Hey, that's a really good idea. With the handicap on, I'll need to buff any prediction skills and choose my moves more consciously. Thanks.

Cero

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but you're wrong about level 9 cpu's being his best option. Sure, level 9's are challenging at first. And, they may seem "unpredictable".
But, when you keep practicing on level 9's and start winning consistently, all you've simply done is learn how to beat a level 9 cpu (a programmed player that does the same things over and over again, doesn't learn from past mistakes and sometimes exhibits inhuman reflexes while other times walking blindly into attacks and making tons of mistakes).

Pros and competitive level smashers do not practice with level 9's (if they have to train on cpu's) because they realize that all that does is develop bad habits. If they absolutely have to, they use level 3 and 4 cpu's to practice up on spacing and techs.

Training on level 9 cpu's makes you better against the computer but worse against real, thinking, adapting players (humans).

Albert.

Smash Master
what are some of the "bad habbits" that are gained from playing level 9s?

besides the whole "only learning to win against THEM thing"

not skeptical just curious

Cero

Smash Lord
The cpu's (all levels) are nothing more than cold, lifeless, programmed machines that are designed to react to all situations in the same way all the time.

I'm going to use a Melee example. (I don't have a Wii and I just came back from fighting a level 9 Ganondorf with Fox... Yes, I know I'm a hypocrite for training on level 9 cpu's but i'm bored...And, all my friends ever want to play is Brawl. :()

Anyway, here's some examples of some bad habits that I've developed from playing against level 9 Ganondorf and why I'd probably lose to an experienced Ganondorf user:

-Whenever I've successfully launched Ganondorf high into the air, I never follow him up there. (Because, I know I'll just end up getting a d-air shoved down my throat)
So I wait for him to DI back to me. (Every level 9 will try to DI back to you no matter what.) And, if he's directly above me, Ganondorf will always go for a d-air.
I know this. So then all I do is run away and SHFFL him until he comes back.

-If Ganondorf (or any Level 9) is in the air and I shoot them with a laser, they always aerial dodge, leaving me a chance to hit them with anything. (N-air, b-air, up smash, etc.) This works the first time, the second time, the eightieth time, etc., etc... They never fix their mistakes.

-If at any time, I am above Ganondorf, he will hore out his up-B in an attempt to tack on damage. Sometimes, he just throws them in randomly while I'm waiting for him to get at me and then I rush over there and charge an up smash while he's trying to land.

-If I miss a tech and i just lay there waiting to see what he's going to do, he will walk slowly to me and at a certain point he will start doing down smashes over and over again trying to get me to roll into them.

-If any level 9 is standing on the ground across the field from me and I laser them, they will almost always perfectly power shield it right back at me.
Needless to say, I try not to shoot too many lasers while they're on the ground.

Cpu's do not adapt. The ability to defeat level 9 cpu's consistently just means that you've succeeded in memorizing their attack patterns and programmed reactions.
You don't realize it, but when you're training against a cpu that does the same thing over and over again, it's only teaching YOU to do the same things over and over again.

If I were to face an experienced Ganondorf user tomorrow, I'd have a hard time ignoring my instincts during battle. (unconsciously thinking lasering him while he's in the air will result in his character doing an aerial dodge, expecting an up B at close proximities, choosing not to laser him from afar while he's on the ground)

tl;dr version:

Bad habits are bad. :p

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
what are some of the "bad habbits" that are gained from playing level 9s?

besides the whole "only learning to win against THEM thing"

not skeptical just curious
Overuse of rolling. Rolling behind the computer works a lot better than it does against humans. Humans will punish you for it with down smashes.

Overuse of down airs that send you straight down. Computer makes hardly any effort to avoid them.

Discouraging you to attack. The computer has inhuman reflexes, they can perfect shield anything. This can cause you to play too defensive and you'll have trouble winning if all you do is try to avoid attacks.

Thinking you're safe when in the air. Computers never chase you in the air so when you a face a human, you won't know how to deal with it. Always relying on air dodging makes you incredibly predictable.

Thinking you're safe while recovering. The computer will sit at the edge and only attack when you get close. A human will do a lot more to ensure a KO.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Well I often practice against CPU's, and I do find that it really helps my game. While it's true it misinforms you about how the opponent character will play, it's a great way to accelerate your mastery and control of your own character. You'll learn the timing and spacing of your attacks, get used to the Brawl buffering system, learn to deal with clashes, how to sweetspot your attacks, and get lots of practice DI'ing. If you're concentrating on improving your game while you play. If CPUs are the only opponent you can find, they're not that bad of one..

It really depends what skill level you're at. While it's true that beating CPU's does not mean you're great at Brawl, if you can't beat CPUs then it shows there is a problem with your game. So take that as a challenge. If you train on CPUs well enough to 3-stock level 9's, then it's possible you've found a really cheap strategy that confuses the AI beyond all repair (some camping strats might work for this, or conning them into jumping off the ledge or something). But more likely, it means you've learned self-control over your character, and it's time to branch out to learning how to put those skills to use against other people.

Cero

Smash Lord
I agree. When you first start out, playing against level 9's is a great way to train.
But, once you've started to figure out their attack patterns, it's then time to move on to real people.
IMO, the best cpu's you should train with after you've gotten good enough to beat level 9's consistently are levels 3 and 4. They don't have inhuman reflexes so it doesn't feel like you're fighting a robot. And, they're perfect for just practicing with timing/spacing and experimenting with new "combos".

folk!

Smash Apprentice
as of late ive started using c-stick. however it feels kinda unnatural, and the timings alittle wierd. should i play with the configeration, or just give it time. also could some people give me some examples of how and when they use theirs? i main marth, but input in gerenal is good. i was at a tourey and i did know it was used that much, and like that.

Cero

Smash Lord
Don't worry. Like all new things, you'll get used to it.

One use for the C-stick is for smash DI. Normally, when a player gets knocked out of the field and is at a high percentage, they quickly aerial dodge and DI appropriately by smashing both the control stick and C-stick in the desired direction. Mastering smash DI will help you live longer and up to higher percents than without.

The C-stick is also more commonly used for aerials. Let's say you're trying to DI to the right and you're opponent is to the left of your character. A b-air would be nice in this situation. Since it's impossible for the control stick to be in two different directions at the same time, this is where the C-stick comes into play. This is also good for throwing items in different directions as well.

Of course the C-stick is also used for smashes too. Like, when you're still recovering from a laggy move and you want your character to do a down smash ASAP.

Cero

Smash Lord
:confused:
...You don't need tap jump off to do boost smashes.
...Right?

And, Falco's boost smash is good. It's quick, long and an excellent mind game.
Other than that, it won't make too much of a difference in your Falco game. (Or, at least it shoudn't.)

Hero-Boy

Smash Rookie
is the c-stick really necassary? I'm not bragging but im quicker than most c-stick users without touching it, yet people on these forums insist it helps, and when i tryy to use it, i feel i play slower. Any advice?

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
You will play slower with it at first. That's natural. Eventually you /should/ get better at it, and increase in speed.

Now my questions.

1. Where can I find a guide and video on RAR? I tried to do it, but when I jump while in the turn around animation, I just go up, no where else.

2. If I am playing with a friend who doesn't punish bad habits like rolling behind him, do I take advantage, or not?

3. How can I improve at tilts and shorthops? (They almost always become smashes and long hops.)

Cero

Smash Lord
1. SSBB - Jump toward backwards.

^^That was actually pretty hard to find. And, I guess all the old threads and videos on RAR got deleted. I couldn't even find an explanation in the AT/glitch compilations thread. So, this was the best I could do... An explanation can be found in the description.

2. Yes. Unless, you're friend is like 5 years old or mentally ********, you shouldn't feel bad for punishing his bad gameplay. Besides, beating the carp out of him over and over again will eventually force him to think and make him better in the process.

3. Practice makes perfect. Try to be gentle when tilting the control stick. And, tap the X or Y buttons as softly and as quickly as possible when performing short hops. Keep practicing in training mode until you get the timings down. Turning off tap jump also helps.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
RAR: (facing left) Smash left on the control stick to dash, smash right and jump at the same time, and smash left again to keep moving forward. Press A for a b-air or c-stick for other aerials. Video^ is good

Punishing: Punish him until he punishes you for abusing him not punishing you. Then once he starts puishing you, go epic mindgames on his ***.

To practice short hops: Go into training mode and jump repeatedly. Look at your finger while pressing the jump button. You will usually push down and let the button push your finger up. The trick I use is to specifically pull the finger off of and away from the button, as though you are testing something hot to see if it will burn you. Catch my drift?

RXFOX

Smash Rookie
What is a tier Im a newb to forums but not to smash and I can back that statement up online. Just wandering.

Cero

Smash Lord
Tiers are basically a system designed to gauge how well a certain character will perform in a competitive setting. There are 5 tiers in all.
It goes from the top all the way to the bottom (top tier being comprised of the best characters; bottom tier being comprised of the characters that don't perform very well).

The tiers the characters are placed in are mostly determined by the amount of tournament wins the characters have won.
So, naturally, a character like Meta Knight will receive top tier status considering how many wins he's pulled.
And, a character like Captain Falcon will receive bottom tier status considering how little wins he's gotten. (:()

Oh, and welcome to Smash Boards.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Some shields are different. I know Yoshi's is perfect protection however you can't jump out of it.
Jigglypuff dies(usually) when her shield breaks.
In... Melee DK's? shield didn't cover his whole body but I think they fixed it in Brawl?...

As you can tell I'm not too sure on the last one.

Cero

Smash Lord
Shield sizes are based on your character's size. There's a big difference between Bowser's shield size and Olimar's.

If Jigglypuff's shield is broken, and there's no solid ceiling to save her, she will automatically lose a stock. (She acts like a balloon that just popped and instantly skyrockets into oblivion.)

Yoshi's shield has some very interesting properties. His shield is always in the form of a giant Yoshi egg that he "hatches" out of when he drops it.

It never decreases in size like the other shields. (You can tell how long the egg will hold out by the changing hue from lighter to steadily darker. White being fully charged and black indicating that the shield is about to fail.)

Yoshi's shield is considered the worst because he has the longest amount of shield drop frames which lowers his options out of a shield.
Also, there are some instances when Yoshi's egg shield, when hit, will cause Yoshi to slide a certain distance depending on the attack. (The egg slides in a pseudo-wavedash manner.)

EDIT: Oh, and he can't jump out of his shield either. Lol.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I think he's also asking if shield's decrease at the same speed or not.

I have two questions:

I've seen Diddy Kong players catch bananas without having to airdodge or use an aerial.

Like in 1:53 of this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99TPAANzHio
How do you do it and can other characters do it too?

Second Question: When you utilize SA frames will the effect of the attack still affect you? Like if you get hit by one of Diddy's bananas while in SA frames will you slip or will you just go through the rest of your animation?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think he's also asking if shield's decrease at the same speed or not.

I have two questions:

I've seen Diddy Kong players catch bananas without having to airdodge or use an aerial.

Like in 1:53 of this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99TPAANzHio
How do you do it and can other characters do it too?

Second Question: When you utilize SA frames will the effect of the attack still affect you? Like if you get hit by one of Diddy's bananas while in SA frames will you slip or will you just go through the rest of your animation?
1. Use 'Z' to grab items in the air without air dodging or using an attack to pick them up. All characters can do it.

2. Good question. I've never really thought about it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, that's a really interesting question. I did some experimenting that suggests the bananas will do damage but cause no "state change". In fact I think that's exactly what SA means, is that the state of the character refuses to change unless some select criteria are met, ex. finishing the attack, or maybe landing on the ground.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I have a quick question. Is there any way to tell when the character will hit the front of the screen when smashed off the top, or is it random?

Cero

Smash Lord
I have a quick question. Is there any way to tell when the character will hit the front of the screen when smashed off the top, or is it random?
It's random.

IIRC, there shouldn't be any criteria that forces a screen KO. (damage percent, KO'ing attacks' strength, winning or losing, etc.)

Flagelants

Smash Rookie
Okay, i have a big question here, im asking it here instead of making a new thread.

I wonder, if it's better to play with the gamecube control. I main diddy, and i have been using the wii control since i bought the game. Now i discover that i can't glide toss, neither backwards up or down. I have been trying a lot i can tell you. Then, i tested it with a GC control, and it worked immediately, with the C-Stick.

So for dummies:

1: can you glide toss backwards up and dribble with the wii control?
2: If not, how do i learn to do it?
3: Should i start using the Gamecube control if i want to become good, or even proffesional with diddy?

Thank you //Flage

Cero

Smash Lord
Ok. The ability to glide toss with Diddy Kong makes a huge difference in your gameplay.
It's pretty much essential by today's metagame standards.

Now, I'm not sure if you can glide toss with the (Wii-mote + Nunchuk/Wii-mote alone on it's side?). But, even if it is possible, I highly recommend that you switch to a Gamecube controller.

Most pros use the Gamecube controller not only because they've been using it for the past 7 years but also because it just feels more "solid". It might just be my opinion (and many other's), but the Gamecube controller gives you a better "feel" of what your character is doing in the game. Thus, giving you more control.

Also, it has a C-stick that is very useful in higher level play. (Something that, IIRC, the Wii-mote + Nunchuk is lacking.)

And, as a plus, all the techs on these boards are usually explained using the Gamecube controller's default configuration scheme. (A, B, R, Y, control stick, C-stick, etc.) So, you don't have to think about which button corresponds to what. (Or, if the tech even works for your controller.)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Or you could get a classic controller :) I'm really happy with mine, except that it eats batteries like they're candy!!

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Do you know how I can improve my defence. I mean like shieding, teching, spot dodging and spacing. I don't think online is practice because of lag. And the computers can be predictable a times. Sorry if this has been mentioned before but reading through all those pages seemed daunting.

Cero

Smash Lord
Don't worry about it. That's what we're here for.
To answer the same questions over and over again. :)

The best practice (unquestionably) is to train with some friends. There are no substitutes for real, thinking human beings. If you really wish to focus on training your defense, try to be conscious about the things you just mentioned (shielding, teching, spot dodging and spacing) while in-game.

Try to evaluate your mistakes. If you want to get serious about it, you can record your matches and watch the replays to identify any wrong decisions or gaps in your defense.

And, if you really can't get anyone to play a match or two with you, you'll just have to resort to the cpu's for training. The best levels are 3 and 4. Just practice spacing, shielding, spot dodging, etc. with them. Never go to wi-fi. (You already know why.)

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ the above post is spam, afaict. Can a mod please delete and/or ban?

Edit: The spam was removed, and the above post is perfectly fine :laugh:

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
^^ the above post is spam, afaict. Can a mod please delete and/or ban?
Because I told him that online can help with defense? It's my opinion. It doesn't make it spam.

Thank you for proving the first sentence correct though.....

Anyway. I BELIEVE the shield degenerate at the same speed but some are bigger than others. I would have to do actual testing.

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol no, I think you still win this round, since I was made to look quite the fool once the post that I'd reported myself disappeared. :D

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Okay, I have a question about shielding. It's hard to word, so I'm going to use an example. In this example, there's a large character (Bowser) and a small character (Kirby).

Okay, Bowser's shield is hit by Marth's fsmash. The shield takes a hit and shrinks a little. Marth fsmashes again, but this time, the fsmash hits through the shielding Bowser because his shield became too small. This is done again with Kirby's shield and the same results are achieved. Even though Bowser's shield is much larger than Kirby's the fact that the character itself is large and all shields deteriorate at the same speed makes larger shields useless. Also, Marth's Shield Breaker attack uncharged will usually take out more than half of both Bowser and Kirby's shield. Despite Kirby's shield being smaller, it remains unbroken. Bowser's shield after being hit by Shield Breaker is probably still as big as Kirby's full shield. However, because Bowser's body is large, the shield is just as weak as kirby's tiny shield.

So, my question is... is there a point in having a bigger shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom