• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaBEA5T

Smash Rookie
thanks! i re-posted it in the zelda forum, thanks for re-directing me haha.
but your advice answered my question anyway haha

Master Fist

Smash Rookie
So I seem to be getting worse at Brawl and my friend seems to be improving, I was once able to beat him with no problems even when he used his main character (Meta Knight) but now I only beat him like 60% of the time if I make it to a 1 on 1 at all. Because we usually have me, him and two level 7-9 coms which even end up killing me sometimes before I even get to the 1 on 1 with my friend part.

Long story short, which is perhaps the best character to master (preferably with a sword because I'm a fanboy :p) against a Meta Knight user who tends to just spot dodge and down smash when underpressure?

P.S. I hate Meta Knight's down smash.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
So I seem to be getting worse at Brawl and my friend seems to be improving, I was once able to beat him with no problems even when he used his main character (Meta Knight) but now I only beat him like 60% of the time if I make it to a 1 on 1 at all. Because we usually have me, him and two level 7-9 coms which even end up killing me sometimes before I even get to the 1 on 1 with my friend part.

Long story short, which is perhaps the best character to master (preferably with a sword because I'm a fanboy :p) against a Meta Knight user who tends to just spot dodge and down smash when underpressure?

Marth, his forward air has enough range to space out the down smash.

Browny

Smash Hater
if by outspace, you mean simply not be in metaknights range when he dsmashes, and then land an attack on him during his lag, yeah marths fair can work... so can falcons bair and almost every aerial for that matter :/

if hes spamming dsmash while under pressure you probably want a character who can punish the dsmash on block... Snake does that too well :O

BSP

Smash Legend

I'm pretty sure MK beats all other swordsmen except himself. Picking up MK is your best bet.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Who has the slowest roll? I went to my first tournament and found myself rolling way too much. I figure I can train it out of me with the slowest roller.

B!squick

Smash Master
can somebody tell me what buffering is please??
Buffering is when you input another, say, attack or whatever, before the one you're currently doing ends. You'll do the buffered attack as soon as you are able.

Who has the slowest roll? I went to my first tournament and found myself rolling way too much. I figure I can train it out of me with the slowest roller.
Samus is the slowest clocking in at 44 frames. Bowser is a distant second worst at 39 frames.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225510&highlight=frame

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167

Ok, first let's list all the sword characters:

MK
Marth
Link
Toon Link
Pit
Ike

Marth gets shutdown by MK for the most part, his existence is what stops Marth from being a top tier character. Toon Link is also greatly held down by MK's existence and suffers from a difficult matchup against him.

Link and Ike are bad characters in general and pretty much get ***** by MK.

I don't know much about Pit, but last i checked the matchup was pretty highly in favor of MK.

The only characters who can really hold their own against MK besides himself are Diddy, Snake, and Wario IMO. And even then, they are disadvantageous matchups.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
^ Ice Climbers, Pika, and other characters also can do well against MK though.
But are they as close to even as Snake/Diddy/Wario? No they are not, they all have exploitable weaknesses of their own, compared to Snake/Diddy/Wario's hard-to-exploit weaknesses... Even Kirby can do great against MK (bair goes through MK's aerials, fsmash breaks all Mk's specials, Kirby can actually gimp MK at low %s while he tries to grab the ledge if the player outpredicts the MK well enough), but he suffers from getting dair camped.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
But don't most characters though?
Well, yeah, but that's Kirby's nastiest weakness when playing against MK... At least, out of all my MK experiences it's the only thing that really makes the matchup annoying. Everything else Kirby has an answer to, but dair camping requires precise spacing (hitting with the tippy top of his uair while watching out for MK's dair), which is immensely hard to do during a tough match. I just wanted to state Kirby's pros and worst con vs MK. :/

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
don't land in his grab range. you can space your aerials on his shield so that you hit it while you are out of his grab range. Using platforms is another option.
If landing outside of his grab range isn't an option try and go for the ledge , even if you are on stage initially. He can't grab you if you are there.

Ol-Jeb

Smash Apprentice
An ol' shack out in Antarctica, the last frontier.
Are there any particularly good D3 strategies against Sonic? There isn't much info on the topic on the D3 forums (that I can find anyway). I don't have much trouble beating him but my friend who mains him is pretty much stuck in a strategy against me that only works about 30% of the time and I'm trying to level his Sonic so he will at least try to get better.

any thoughts?

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I'm having trouble choosing a main, and I want to become one of the top players but I keep resetting my abilities by switching mains and getting frustrated with character weaknesses.
How do I choose my main and stick with him alone for years to come?
Hearing from players who have stuck with their characters since the beginning of success in competitive brawl would be the best right now.

P.S. the only good players I practice with regularly are a sheik player and a mario/g&w player. TonyGuacamole and A2Z.

Also...there are never tournaments in my area and I don't have a ride or time on my hands often. I'm at UCSB.

Someone please gimme a gameplan for becoming a top player.

mventre

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about SDI

Basically, when are you suppose to use SDI? Are you suppose to SDI on multi-hit moves, i.e, Snake's nair? I understand the concept of altering your trajectory (TDI) and momentum cancelling. I understand that you use the c-stick for SDI. I guess I am kind of confused on the best situations to use SDI or a combination of both SDI and TDI. Any help? Thanks guys

EDIT: also, when you SDI do you simply tap and hold the c-stick in a certain direction or should you smash the c-stick in the direction?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Smash DI gives you an instantaneous movement in the direction you Smash DI. It can be done with both the control stick and the c stick. It's best use is to escape multihit attacks, because you can use the movement to avoid being hit by the other hits. You're probably going to want to mash the stick to SDI out of a multihit move because you may need more than one SDI, or you may suck at timing.

For more info:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155409

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm having trouble choosing a main, and I want to become one of the top players but I keep resetting my abilities by switching mains and getting frustrated with character weaknesses.
Switching mains shouldn't be resetting your abilities; that's your first problem right there.

Sure, the most basic level of play is adjusting to the characters' different movesets, but you can do that somewhat simply by playing against the characters, not just using them. And having picked up a character once should help you fight against that char, because you know in what situations they make themselves vulnerable; their movesets and the spacings of their attacks, which combos you can expect they'll go for, etc.

What you reeeeally want to spend your time focussing on, is learning to read your opponents, seeing their habits and breaking them, learning to set up traps etc..... these are super important in Brawl, and they're also universal to fighting games, and they're absolutely essential to becoming a top player. WiFi helps for this; although it can mess up your timing a bunch it's more important to use it to learn what sort of traps the different characters have, and allows you to learn to read different people who have different playing styles. Even just, knowing when to walk instead of run, not to stand in place + roll all the time, hold your character back and watch the opponent's movements......

HTH.

Avenger7x

Smash Cadet
Do the brawl boards have a thread devoted to ATs and the like, similar to one posted by AlphaZealot for melee? I've searched and searched for a similar thread but haven't seen one. Don't kill me if I'm overlooking it. I figured it would be stickied or something. Thanx.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Sadly there are no ATs in Brawl.
But maybe you're talking about a thread like this :
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227773

How do I choose my main and stick with him alone for years to come?
Hearing from players who have stuck with their characters since the beginning of success in competitive brawl would be the best right now.

P.S. the only good players I practice with regularly are a sheik player and a mario/g&w player. TonyGuacamole and A2Z.

Also...there are never tournaments in my area and I don't have a ride or time on my hands often. I'm at UCSB.

Someone please gimme a gameplan for becoming a top player.
I think you're doing things wrong : being a top player is a result, not a goal.
What I mean is that you should worry about being good rather than being better than the others. Like, knowing the game mechanics, how each character behaves and everything Infzy said about reading instead of wanting to kick everyone's ***.

But to answer your question : if you want to have a main and stick with him then accept his weaknesses and hide them behind his strenghts (or pick a secondary if some character can exploit his weaknesses too easily).

Because you should focus on what you have instead of being eternally unsatisfied.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Sadly there are no ATs in Brawl.
for the record, I very disagree.
There are a few general subsets of AT-related areas (ex. momentum-cancelling, techs-involving-items, etc.), but then there's a bajillion random situational character-specific nonsense that ppl need to know.

well, not rly for some chars (ex. G&W), but some chars have tons of ridiculous nonsense, ex. sonic, yoshi, pit, diddy, etc.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I think that MK would make him gay instead. And what moves can beat the tornado from OUTSIDE?
playing MK =/= playing gay. Playing gay = being stupid (or being really really good depending on what end of the skill spectrum you're talking about, but if he's just picking up a character, it's probably pretty stupid).

Lots of moves beat the tornado, they just need good spacing.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Really, picking up MK is the best option in this game,as there are no drawbacks whatsoever.
False. What if you'd play better as a different character, such as snake or Diddy? What if a different combination of characters could allow you to play better (such as snake and diddy)? Maining MK can have drawbacks.

BSP

Smash Legend
False. What if you'd play better as a different character, such as snake or Diddy? What if a different combination of characters could allow you to play better (such as snake and diddy)? Maining MK can have drawbacks.
I meant strictly MU wise, but this is all true as well. I fixed what I said, and expanding upon what you said, this is why people should try every character before they settle on a main.

Master Fist

Smash Rookie
I think the reason I'm not very good is that I can beat everyone I face in my local area as 90% of the roster and so I'm not getting any practice with one specific character.

Also I use Smash Balls which I really hate getting hit by if it's a one hit kill and the stock is 2-1, because that usually angers me and throws me off my game which leads to me losing.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
da KID. Are you the guy using the -The kid name on youtube? If so I'm Johnzobac on there, and you frequently watch the same videos as I do (and comment).

I think the reason I'm not very good is that I can beat everyone I face in my local area as 90% of the roster and so I'm not getting any practice with one specific character.

Also I use Smash Balls which I really hate getting hit by if it's a one hit kill and the stock is 2-1, because that usually angers me and throws me off my game which leads to me losing.
Really? Smash Balls? You make your town sound like it's dead to smash. Practice one or two characters and learn to do more than just win against 90% of your community (DESTROY them, 3-stock).

And thanks for the advice guys.
1) Aiming to get good at matchups and at my characters definitely is a better focus than getting better than everyone else.
2) Learning to read opponents and use a single character /character-combination is also a great idea.

Screw MK, I play Falco/Snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom