• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infomon

Smash Scientist
If you shield an attack within the first 3 frames of your shield coming out it's a "perfect shield" and you don't have shield-drop lag if you drop it
Like just tap shield the moment something's in shield-range

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I have a question. Can I get good advice for when I am at a Tourney and I try to win that tourney? If possible I would also like to have some advice in both predicting my opponent's gameplay and when I'm not playing at all (watching other people play, have a rest from playing too much, etc...)

AlienVampires

Smash Rookie
How do I tech spikes at the end of chaingrabs properly?
If it matters, I'm talking specifically vs Ice Climbers.

Do I just tap the analogue stick towards the stage as I'm being smashed? Do I do it in a downward angle? Or directly horizontally?

Browny

Smash Hater
That means the enemy has that many frames to react + punish if they drop shield at the perfect time.

Shield drop i believe is 7 frames, and ignoring shield grabs, a -14 move means if the enemy drops shield the instant you can do so safely, you have 7 frames to do something. when it gets to + numbers, it means the person who attacked your shield can do something (grab, jab whatever) before you can even react or do anything. Those numbers are kind of useless by themselves, you gotta apply them to matchups before they really mean anything. like attacking wolfs shield with a -14 or -12 attack is the difference between you getting dsmashed oos or not (for example, im only guessing those numbers).

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Who would you say is the most aggressive character in Brawl? I main Snake/Wolf, and I'm thinking about picking up Pikachu because it is fun to play him and he does alright against D3 and Falco. I'm a defensive player...sometimes way too defensive...and I'd like to try something different.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Who would you say is the most aggressive character in Brawl? I main Snake/Wolf, and I'm thinking about picking up Pikachu because it is fun to play him and he does alright against D3 and Falco. I'm a defensive player...sometimes way too defensive...and I'd like to try something different.
Aggressive? IMO Mk.

BSP

Smash Legend
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is such a thing as too defensive in brawl. Approaching almost always gets you hurt.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
[I'm well aware that the lower our percent is, the better we can get out of a grab.]
What are the most effective controller inputs to get out of a grab as fast as possible?
Is it twiddling the C-stick?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
[I'm well aware that the lower our percent is, the better we can get out of a grab.]
What are the most effective controller inputs to get out of a grab as fast as possible?
Is it twiddling the C-stick?
Roll the analog stick, tap L, R and Z, and roll/slide your thumb around B, A, Y, and X. All as fast as possible, of course.

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ well, you just need your last input to be jump so that you air-release, you may want to use other stuff in advance of the jump input to get out sooner. but that's tricky ;)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I have a question. Can I get good advice for when I am at a Tourney and I try to win that tourney? If possible I would also like to have some advice in both predicting my opponent's gameplay and when I'm not playing at all (watching other people play, have a rest from playing too much, etc...)

1. if you want to win at tourney the main way to go about playing your best is to make sure you take care of yourself physically in preperation for the tourney, that means eating a good meal before heading out. getting a good nights sleep the day before, not being sick, and not being inebriated. (youd be surprised how many people show up to tournaments high, drunk or hungover.)

2. when it comes to prediction, it comes down to knowing how people react to certain situations and how to beat said reactions. for example, knowing how certain players or characters react when they are sent in the air directly above the opponent. because then when you play them you will know how to punish that reaction, with what ever tools your character has. its all about figuring out peoples habits, and doing what you can to punish those habits. like if a falco likes to recover a certain way, you can recognise that and punish it.
How do I tech spikes at the end of chaingrabs properly?
If it matters, I'm talking specifically vs Ice Climbers.

Do I just tap the analogue stick towards the stage as I'm being smashed? Do I do it in a downward angle? Or directly horizontally?
im unsure what you are asking here since the two statements arent really related.

how do you tech spikes? hit the shield button right before you hit the ground.

for the second paragraph, i think what you are talking about sdi. and for that yes, tap both sticks directly horizontal toward the stage.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
As far as tournies go, if you want to be able to read players better, you need to condition them to your playstyle. Using Game & Watch as an example: Often I pressure with full hopped bairs. When I say often I mean I abuse the bloody hell out of that move. Soon they expect it so much that shield it every time. So then I just fullhop, airdodge, grab and kill. They thought I would use the same move again, and why wouldn't I? I was using it the whole match right?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Let's say if I try to grab someone who's in super armor frames, what happens ?
Like trying to grab Marth's DS, I have the feeling that DS beats the grab but I can't verify.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Check the Sonic Character Specific boards, and look around there, although what you're looking for is something very general, and you may find it better to narrow what you're looking for first.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
What does SBR mean??
Smash back room, a collection of smashers who are considered to be the top of top in tournaments and discussion. These people create the tier list and I think the stages/stuff as well.

There is a separate back room for melee and for brawl, known as the MBR (Melee Back Room) and BBR (Brawl Back Room).

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I'm alright at the game, never gotten too technical with it but would like to improve! haha anyhow - got two real questions, I think.

1. One, my school's having a 2v2 tournament with friendly fire soon. I've rarely played 2v2 matches, let alone friendly fire, so I'm not sure what to think. I switch between about 5 or 6 characters, primarily Wolf or Zelda, but also Toon Link, ZSS, Marth, and occasionally. What should I be ready for? Is there one of the chars listed above that would be best suited to 2v2 gameplay? Any videos or anything'd be appreciated.

2. What can I practice in my own time to improve my skills? I do have access to players (hallmates haha!), is there anything that stands out as something I might not be aware of?

Thanks!

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Sorry for the Double Post!

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I'm alright at the game, never gotten too technical with it but would like to improve! haha anyhow - got two real questions, I think.

1. One, my school's having a 2v2 tournament with friendly fire soon. I've rarely played 2v2 matches, let alone friendly fire, so I'm not sure what to think. I switch between about 5 or 6 characters, primarily Wolf or Zelda, but also Toon Link, ZSS, Marth, and occasionally. What should I be ready for? Is there one of the chars listed above that would be best suited to 2v2 gameplay? Any videos or anything'd be appreciated.

2. What can I practice in my own time to improve my skills? I do have access to players (hallmates haha!), is there anything that stands out as something I might not be aware of?

Thanks!
I personally like Marth the best in 2 v 2. If you have a teammate who plays Ness, then the ZSS+Ness combination is really good.

Uhm, the best advice I can give is to play the people in your hall and to look at the character boards for each of your favorites.

They usually have a video thread and a lot of them have 2 v 2s.

Good luck!

sman5093

Smash Apprentice

Thanks!
Go to tactical brawl. there should be a thread named: the best vids of each character. u will find a lot of videos there on how to play each character.

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
Hey, thanks, guys! Been checking it out, reading around, seems pretty helpful. Got a few more questions I don't quite understand.

What is DACUS?
Super armor I kinda get, you suffer no knockback during the duration of the frames. Which characters can do this aside from Olimar?
Does Zelda's d-air spike? I've seen it in a couple vids, but I was fooling around last night, and couldn't seem to get it to hit.
The sliding up-smash with Snake and Diddy Kong (anyone else?). I've read how to do this, but still can't quite get it. I run toward my opponent, initiate a dash attack (with the c-stick), then mash up immediately?

haha that's it for now thanks a ton guys

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hey, thanks, guys! Been checking it out, reading around, seems pretty helpful. Got a few more questions I don't quite understand.

What is DACUS?
Dash attack canceled up smash, it kind of filters itself into your last question.

Super armor I kinda get, you suffer no knockback during the duration of the frames. Which characters can do this aside from Olimar?
DKs full charged giant punch, ikes eruption and aether, ganons side b when he grabs some one on the ground, and warios f smash are the first ones that come to my mind.

Does Zelda's d-air spike? I've seen it in a couple vids, but I was fooling around last night, and couldn't seem to get it to hit.
to get the electric power spike takes very specific spacing and can only happen when the opponent is in the air

The sliding up-smash with Snake and Diddy Kong (anyone else?). I've read how to do this, but still can't quite get it. I run toward my opponent, initiate a dash attack (with the c-stick), then mash up immediately?
thats the dacus you do a dash attack and than do an up smash right after. theres a number of ways to execute this, but the easiest way to go about it is hit hit down on your c stick to dash attack and than hit up on the control stick and hit z, since z is configured to hit the shoulder button and A at the same time.

however theres also something called a hyphen smash which can be less, more, or just as effective as the dacus, depending on character. this is performed by simply running, and then inputting an up smash.

haha that's it for now thanks a ton guys
no problem brah

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So I've realised that I don't know when I should spotdodge. Also I spotdodge spam like crazy.

The question is, when should you spotdodge? What is it's purpose? Is spotdodging a move and then trying to punish the move a bad idea?

Browny

Smash Hater
Spotdodging depends on who you are against, and on how good your spotdodge is. Spotdodging can be extremely effective vs the likes of snake and rob who normally have so much shield knockback and/or low lag they can spam tilts kind of safely. dont spotdodge too much vs Lucario or Wario who can catch you with lingering hitboxes or are punishable on block normally.

ImaBEA5T

Smash Rookie
i did not read through all the pages and the search box was not working for me for some reason, so i apologize if this question was already asked...
but, when playing as Zelda, is it more useful to switch back and forth between Zelda and Shiek? or is it better to stay as one character the whole time?
and if it is better to switch back and forth between shiek and Zelda, when are the appropriate times to be Zelda and when are the appropriate times to switch to shiek?
thanks!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I'm no expert on that topic, but if you wanted "expert" opinions, you'd best go to the sheik and zelda boards to ask.

However, if i'm correct, the typical strategy used when switching is to rack up damage with sheik because she's better, but then switch to zelda to KO because she has stronger attacks, depending on the matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom