• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
i'm pretty sure gordo COULD stale, but how the HELL would you get him to?
**** around on PSA, or be REALLY lucky :p

What's a good way to practice getting good at SDI? Like momentum cancelling is second nature and I do it on reaction now, but what's a good way to learn how to do SDI on reaction? Just endless repetition against CPUs or something?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Wondering, anyone know the name of the thread that proved that items dropped with greater frequency next to the player who was losing, a question came up about it and I've been searching for it without luck.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
How do I SDI out of it? I can do it, but not fast enough.
First you must quarter circle DI (QCDI) using the direction you want to SDI as the center of the quarter circle.
Ex : you want to SDI Pika's Dsmash upwards, so you'll do up-left, up, up-right, up, up-left, etc.

Then use the C-stick for extra SDI, but you can't QCDI with the C-stick so you have to input up, then let go, then up again etc.

You can use smart bombs in training mode, but fighting Pikachu is one of the best ways to get it.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Another question.. Why do people complain about Tornado "spam", but not Marth's F-air "spam"? I think that's just silly.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Tornado does more damage, lasts longer, cant be airdodged through, hits behind him and is generally way better and more versatile.

try using the two moves against each other and see which one wins out...

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Tornado does more damage, lasts longer, cant be airdodged through, hits behind him and is generally way better and more versatile.

try using the two moves against each other and see which one wins out...
I know; Nado wins, but is it a matter of frustration because it's hard to beat or what?

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
My friend plays smash and a while ago I got him into competitive brawl. I really need some advice on how to. Solve a problem he has. He mains weegee and all he really ever does is spam fireballs on the ground, use dash attack, use fully charged smashes, occasional bairs mixed in with his airdodge spam, and use his stupid Side b missile thing. I have tried explaining to him how bad his playstyle is but he never can really change it. I always punish whatever he does and he still doesn't get the hang of it. Is there a way I could teach him to mix up his options and stop using his really punishable moves?

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Do a luke vs. eddie thing, if you know what he is going to do, say" don't jump" or "don't spot-dodge". I did this to my friend and he finally realized how predictable he was being, and he started to mix it up.

The only other thing i can suggest is flat out experience, does he play lots? because if not the best way to improve is to play the game with him a lot more. Sangbag if you have to, to keep him interested, and so he doesn't get pissed that he can't beat you.

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
Yea I can show him lots of boss. Also nessnoob, the luke vs eddie thing sounds like a load of fun lol. As for the experience thing, we have played for around a year but thanks both of you

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
To make the luke vs eddie thing more effective pick Snake and follow every "Don't" by a Ftilt or Utilt.

Another advice is to make him play against other competitive players, so that he can observe and fight different playstyles than yours.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
Heres a few simple questions that have been on my mind recently.

After getting grabbed by IC, is there always absolutely nothing you can do?

Also, smash DI is using the c stick to DI, and regular DI is using the regular stick correct??

What other uses are there for smash DI other than breaking out of Pikachu's dsmash?

When sucked into Metaknights tornado, do you smash DI or DI regularly?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
After getting grabbed by IC, is there always absolutely nothing you can do?
Depends. If they're good, you're pretty ****ed unless you're at a low percent. If it's a low percent you have a good chance to get out if you're good at mashing.
Also, smash DI is using the c stick to DI, and regular DI is using the regular stick correct??
Not quite. Better educated/more experienced people correct me if I'm wrong please.

Okay if I remember right it goes something like this. Every attack has hitlag (or most? I'm not sure maybe I'll have to check PSA or something to see, but whatever...). Hitlag if you don't know is when both the attacker and the attacked are frozen after the hit. Almost like a dramatic effect. You can notice this a lot with Zelda's death kick and The Knee.

If you use your control stick, you can "teleport" a small distance in that hitlag for every input. (most attacks have the same amount, but Shiek's Ftilt only has half the normal amount, and Zelda's death kick and Marth's tippers can't be SDI'd at all) So Quarter Circler DI is when you move it between the three notches of your analog stick to get lots of inputs fast. And if you're holding a direction on the analog stick while SDIing, every time you use the Cstick it adds another "input" (although you have to make sure to let the Cstick back to center after every input).

It's difficult to explain, but I think that's pretty much correct. People correct me if I'm blatantly wrong :p
What other uses are there for smash DI other than breaking out of Pikachu's dsmash?
LOTS of stuff. Like if you're good at it, there are so many more things you can do and not be afraid of. Any multihit attack you can get out of with good SDI (Wario's DAir (I think. Idk he has so much aerial mobility he might be able to follow your DI to keep hitting you with it lol), G&Ws NAir and BAir, etc). It's really, really useful.
When sucked into Metaknights tornado, do you smash DI or DI regularly?
I try, but I suck at SDI :p

Shintarru

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1676-4016-3956
What is the tier list based off of? Is it how many Advanced Techs a character has, match ups, or tournament placement. I hear people say all that character (a) should be higher on the tier list than character (b). Because he is better than him. Also when someone discovers an AT that character is going to be placed higher.

Thanks in advance.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
What is the tier list based off of? Is it how many Advanced Techs a character has, match ups, or tournament placement. I hear people say all that character (a) should be higher on the tier list than character (b). Because he is better than him. Also when someone discovers an AT that character is going to be placed higher.

Thanks in advance.
The tier list is basically based off each character at the peak of performance. So at the absolute top level of skill, which character will preform best? Which will preform worst? What factors in to this is mostly match ups, and tournament placings usually will reflect which characters are best and worst. Advanced techniques don't necessarily make the character better or worse.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If a match times out with both characters with the same amount of stocks, but the character with the lower percentage has been knocked off the top of the screen by the other player - the character is in the Star KO animation, but has not had that stock taken off yet - who wins the match? The one with lower percentage, or the one who successfully pulled off the Star KO?

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Orange: Play good people and ask them about habits. Also, what I find best is recording. If you have infinite replay on your Wii, save matches and watch over them to see stupid things you do.

Sonic: As dumb as it sounds, the person with lower percent would still win in this instance.

Javon: No

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
I was reading the tourney rules, and under Doubles Play it said "Life stealing is allowed". What is Life stealing?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
question

if i grab oos, does my shield drop and then the grab comes out? i pretty sure it negates the shield drop time but i wanted to be sure.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
when you hold shield and then hit the A button, no there is no shield drop lag.

Its just like jumping out of shield, the only lag there is, is however long it takes for you to leave the ground/your grab to come out.

Chuee

Smash Hero
I remember something on the Pit boards a long time ago where someone posted a video of Pit's Dair spiking.
I'm pretty sure it's SDI.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yeah, it looks like Shiek SDI'd into a self-stage spike. That + the wierd ledge of Frigate = what you saw.

Though I might totally be wrong, but I fail to see what else it could be.

Kishin

Smash Ace
So I was on SV and I managed to do a backwards waveland thing somehow with the moving platform. The platform wasn't moving away me either. Under the platform I jumped facing right, had a brief pause, double jump and inputted something, and then I was off the edge of the platform facing left. I was Captain Falcon. I still have the replay. Any explanation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom