• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgen aune

Smash Cadet
I have a problem about training. None of my friends plays competive brawl and i do train on cpus lvl 8-9. However,while playing against cpus there is way to easy to predict, innhumane reflexes, never camps or does ATs... and worst of all: i aint nervous at all and bases my gameplay on impulses rather than thinking about spacin and mindgaming. just tilting after the cpu and dacus away, throwing som nades here and there... wich gives me serious trouble to handle a match with a real player. are there any bether way to train instead of cpus?

lil cj

Smash Lord
I have a problem about training. None of my friends play competive brawl and i do train on cpus lvl 8-9. However,while playing against cpus there is way to easy to predict, innhumane reflexes, never camps or does ATs... and worst of all: i aint nervous at all and bases my gameplay on impulses rather than thinking about spacin and mindgaming. just tilting after the cpu and dacus away, throwing som nades here and there... wich gives me serious trouble to handle a match with a real player. are there any bether way to train instead of cpus?
sorry if i have many grammatical errors according to my english xP
Wifi is good practice

C.J.

Smash Master
I have a problem about training. None of my friends plays competive brawl and i do train on cpus lvl 8-9. However,while playing against cpus there is way to easy to predict, innhumane reflexes, never camps or does ATs... and worst of all: i aint nervous at all and bases my gameplay on impulses rather than thinking about spacin and mindgaming. just tilting after the cpu and dacus away, throwing som nades here and there... wich gives me serious trouble to handle a match with a real player. are there any bether way to train instead of cpus?
Ummm, you could play to focus on spacing and guessing what a player would do in a certain situation. You aren't supposed to play CPUs to win....

Veggi

Smash Champion
Wifi, while not as good as offline, is your best bet. Other than that watch videos...lots of videos of good Snake players.

In other news, hello CJ. (Not lil cj, although I still think it's funny that two cj's posted right after each other.)

Kishin

Smash Ace
So I was on SV and I managed to do a backwards waveland thing somehow with the moving platform. The platform wasn't moving away me either. Under the platform I jumped facing right, had a brief pause, double jump and inputted something, and then I was off the edge of the platform facing left. I was Captain Falcon. I still have the replay.
^ Any explanation?

Veggi

Smash Champion
It's kind of hard to picture in my head, I'm not really sure what happened. The only guesses I have is something that may have had to do with using a special move that has different air and ground properties. If Snake jumps through a platform and lays a C4, he will stop right on top of the platform and do his "placing a grounded C4" animation. If Poke'mon Trainer does his down b on the edge of the moving platform while it moves away it lets them switch laglessly and for some reason takes away and adds jumps to the Poke'mon. I forgot who gains and loses jumps though.

These are just stupid guesses, but it's all I have.

Kishin

Smash Ace
It looks like a platform cancel -> platform drop -> second jump -> platform cancel -> ledge cancel(?) all at once.

I'm unable to upload the replay myself so anywhere here mind going through the process of exchanging codes and what not to upload it?

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
if you see them doing it in vids of tourny matches and getting away with it then it can't be illegal now can it mizu? XD

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Yeah you're allowed to CP neutrals as long as you haven't won on said stage and it hasn't been banned by your opponent.

SwedishChef

Smash Cadet
So I don't play competitive Brawl nor do I have much interest in the big tournaments. Mainly I play with my friends and I'm halfway decent but obviously I want to get better. Now I've lurked a bit and seen boatloads of advanced stuff and powershielding and yada yada yada. Now that's all well and good but learning everything, from my point of view, is a tad unneccesary for my particular needs. What are the most useful/basic ATs I should learn?

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
that depends on what character you use dude. In general power shielding, teching attacks and speed hugging would probably help your casual approach at the game the most

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Your question depends on the character you play.
But um you prolly wanna learn..universal ATs like:
-Glide Tossing
-Wavebounce
-reversal-B
-Insat throw
-DACUS
-Dash shileding
and some others that will not come to mind...right now.
But, again....it all depends on the Character you play.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know of any threads/guides I can read about regarding how to play in team battles or some threads which can give some good tips on how to be an effective team player? Thanks.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you want to get good in doubles always have a look on the 4 characters, train with your teammate on 2v1 situations and make them happen as often as possible.

@SwedishChef : if you want to get better overall do not focus on learning ATs but rather learn about the game mechanics, like

DI/SDI
Momentum cancel
BSL/landing lag penalty
Powershield/perfectshield, how the shield works in general
Buffering
Stale moves
tech

Those things will help you get better with every character. Then you can start learning ATs depending on what characters you're playing.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Are Jumps in this game variable?

or are they all the same speed?

I barely see any frame data regarding Jump Start-up, When you are considered Airborne etc.
Same goes for dashes, which I know vary.

I know they were in melee [ircc fox sheik and I think falco had faster jumps then the rest of the cast]

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Can someone please describe what a frame trap is? An example might help too.

Thanks in advance.
A frame trap is when you hit someone's shield (or sometimes them) in a way that allows them to start doing an attack to retaliate, but doesn't offer them enough time to actually get the attack out. Such an example may be doing a really low aerial on someone's shield and then jabbing. It may allow them enough time to start shield grabbing, but the jab hits them if they try to do that.

Are Jumps in this game variable?

or are they all the same speed?
The height is constant, but there are several different amounts of time that a character can take before leaving the ground

I barely see any frame data regarding Jump Start-up, When you are considered Airborne etc.
Same goes for dashes, which I know vary.
Most good frame data listsings will have at least the jump time (note that there is one frame in which you are officially in the air, but you cannot enter any inputs, even into the command buffer). All characters have a 5 Frame window at the start of their dash to allow them to turn around or do an fsmash. The only remaining dash time (which is variable across the cast) is the time when you cannot do a dashing special attack (that's not a side-b).

I know they were in melee [ircc fox sheik and I think falco had faster jumps then the rest of the cast]
Falco's was actually rather slow. Fox, sheik, samus, and pichu have the fastest jump speeds.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I asked a question about this a while ago, but somebody told me the answer and it was discarded. I don't even remember what they called it, but it happens on Smashville all the time for me. Why isn't it looked into more?

What I'm wondering about is when you jump or double jump or whatever below the moving Smashville platform, and if you time an aerial correctly you're standing on the platform. I've done this with a few characters, such as Wario, Marth, and Snake. I tried it on Battlefield and other platformed stages, and maybe it's just because I wasn't doing it right, but it didn't seem to work. Only on Smashville.

While situational, it seems extremely useful. I was playing a few games for fun against my brother and accidentally did this. He was on the platform, doing something punishable, and I went up to punish him with my Wario, tried to D-air, but instead was in the landing animation and F-smashed him. It would be a useful way to instantly go into standing attacks that are quick and possibly powerful (Fox's U-smash, Snake's F-tilt, anyone's jab). The information was discarded though.

tl;dr: Why doesn't anybody look into this? Situational yes, but still helpful.

rofljont

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if pivot grab and boost pivot grab have diffrent hitboxes? like does the boost pivot have more range or does it just slide further???

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yup it's just a slide, like boost smash.

A frame trap is when you hit someone's shield (or sometimes them) in a way that allows them to start doing an attack to retaliate, but doesn't offer them enough time to actually get the attack out. Such an example may be doing a really low aerial on someone's shield and then jabbing. It may allow them enough time to start shield grabbing, but the jab hits them if they try to do that.
Can the term "frame trap" apply to non shielded attacks ?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
basic idea of a frame trap is to make the opponent think they can do something against you when they really cant. good examples are MK and lucarios f smashes

Metaknight will randomly f smash to give you the impression that you can run in and punish in the after lag of the move, and no matter how fast you move, more than 90% of the time attempting to will result in you taking a down smash or shuttle loop to the face. this happens regardless of whether you shield the move or not.

Lucarios acts the same way although his methods to punish your incorrect decision to try and punish his f smash arent usually as painful or severe. mainly if you try to stand outside of his f smash range and run in after he will either just jab you, or spotdodge what ever you do and mess you up from there.

you think you have enough time (frames) to react or punish said action but you actually dont (its a trap), hence the name.

decreasingentropy

Smash Rookie
How is the winner decided in doubles in the case of a time out? I assume its whichever team has the highest total stocks followed by the highest total percent? I checked the SBR ruleset and couldn't find anything about this.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yes, just for the sake of how you phrased it, i just want to make sure its understood.

in the case of a teams time out, the winner is decided by which team has more stocks, keep in mind that in a 2 v1 situation, the team with two players have a combined two stocks, while the player with the dead teammate only has one stock.

and if both teams have the same number of stocks, than who ever has the lowest percentage wins.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Ugh, I was just getting ***** by a CPU and... the CPU dashdanced. It's a real dashdance... Was it not mentioned a while ago that stated that things that required quick button inputs or something couldn't be done by CPU's? Well, I have the replay and there's no doubt that it was a real dashdance.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
CPUs have been known to do dashdances. I don't believe there's anything saying they can't do quick button inputs.

Jane

Smash Hero
can someone tell me, or direct me to a thread that explains exactly how to do the rising pound with puff? (in melee)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
can someone tell me, or direct me to a thread that explains exactly how to do the rising pound with puff? (in melee)
no, and this isn't the right boards for that (check the melee boards in the future), but here's how to do it: Press Side B, then quickly hit upwards.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
he activated special ally reaction speed and mashed out of it, he must've put in enough inputs super fast and broke it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom