• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
*smashes you over head* Shh, go to sleep...

I don't generally have a problem with Lvl 9's, but they can frustrate me when I'm not trying (my biggest problem in smash is the laziness). For the record, if you all fought, say, Luigi, how many matches would you win against him out of ten. Be honest.

Real question: How are grabs decided if two opponents grab at the same time? It's random?
10 of 10 in normal conditions against luigi. however, due to myself being unsatisfied by fighting an easy cpu over and over again, i have started to play with an extraordinary handicap on myself from the start when playing against lvl 9 cpu's. when i have 150% handicap, 5 of 10, normally because he has such a quick fsmash that can basically destroy me as well as quicker attacks (overall) than ness. CPU's lvl 9 somehow make all of my attacks seem super lagged, even my AAA combo.

Question: what is a good "training" strategy? My current method frustrates me because one attack or grab is nearly instant death.

Cero

Smash Lord
Playing real people is the best way to practice. Especially, getting ***** by people who are better than you over and over again.

Other than that... Wifi is good for training as long as the other dude has a good connection.

And, level 3 and 4 cpu's are good for practicing DI, techs, and combos.

TubaMarth

Smash Rookie
I'm new to the techniques right so i don't know what a f tilt or d throw is and i can't find a thread about this type of stuff and what they are. is there a thread and if not can you tell me what all the abbreviations mean? whats a DI as well?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'm new to the techniques right so i don't know what a f tilt or d throw is and i can't find a thread about this type of stuff and what they are. is there a thread and if not can you tell me what all the abbreviations mean? whats a DI as well?
Well, f tilt is forward tilt, d throw is down throw. I can tell you that right off the bat. As for threads:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187873

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749 <-I don't like that I'm linking this, because most of those are Melee terms, but there are still a lot of terms in there you should know.

DI = directional influence. Learn it, and learn it well.

TubaMarth

Smash Rookie
what is better ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT

jumping with joystick or jumping with button like x or y

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
what is better ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT

jumping with joystick or jumping with button like x or y
X or Y (preferably X). You can control your aerials much better with X or Y.
X is preferred because it follows the natural curve of your thumb (sounds like it's going a little far, but it's true). I think it's easier and faster to go from X to the c-stick, and everything in between, but whatever your more comfortable with is fine. I just wouldn't suggest using the analog stick to jump. Less control.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
X or Y is what most people prefer. Tap jump screws you up a lot, although I find it easier only when I play Pika because of QAC'ing. Still though, I'm trying to get used to the X button, and I personally find it much easier...and better for myself. It all really comes down to preferance, but most people will tell you X/Y is the way to go. Plus, you can loose your jumps on accident and a bunch of stupid stuff with tap jump.

:035:

prOAPC

Smash Lord
I experience wireless interference so much that I'm to the point where I am ready to abandon the Classic Controller and just relearn how to play Brawl with the GCN controller. I even went through the trouble of trying to find an adapter that would allow me to plug my CC into a GCN controller port so I could avoid wireless interference, but nothing good was available. I've become dependent on the extra shoulder trigger button that the CC has, so the transition will probably be rough, but the shoddy connectivity of the Wiimote is too ridiculous to put up with. Losing a match to a moment of connectivity loss because somebody in the room turned on their cell phone is just plain stupid.
^ Switch to a Gamecube Controller.

Trust us, you'll be thanking yourself after you've made the transition.
interference with cell phones too? it's worst than i thought :S
i know how to play with GC, i just prefer CC, with his bigger c-stick, additional trigger button and the position of buttons

thanks for answering :)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Don't discount Tap jump, however. I'm reasonably good at Melee, and still play both Melee and Brawl. I use X for short hopping, since it's far easier to do from a run and keep/kill your momentum, but for full hops and air jumps, I use tap jump. why? because that's how I learned to play. I would say that it's FAR easier to be technically proficient in smash using a button to jump. Y is probably the strictly better choice just because it's closer to B, but that's taking it too far, since you don't need to do any fast motions like this. In Melee however, I use Y to do Fox's SHDL and to do JC Shines (despite using X for short hops), but these are things that simply aren't needed in brawl, and you can use either Y or X to the same degree of effectiveness with similar practice amount. For full hopping and air jumping, though, I find it just as easy to use tap jump as X/Y and be technically proficient, so just go w/ whatever you're more comfortable doing.

infomon

Smash Scientist
idk anything about wingdashing srry :(

Remember that tap-jumping makes it a little trickier to up-B or up-smash out-of-shield; and also to use a jump as a meteor-cancel. But I still waaaaayy prefer tap-jump off :)

Tamoo

Smash Master
From what ive seen of a pit that goes to the tournaments i go to, wingdashing has similar aplications to wavedashing in melee.
It can be used to space as the wind pushes the opponents so it helps keep the distance between you and your opponent.
It can also reflect projectiles which may be preferable to the laggy side b and down b,
This is a video that shows the wingdash in use, so you can get an idea of how to use it and when.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83tPN4cmsgY
so basically, a spacing tool

IxxI

Smash Fence
Does anyone think that anything revolutionary will be discovered to make Brawl a more competitive game? Or is THIS the future of brawl?

XienZo

Smash Lord
Does anyone think that anything revolutionary will be discovered to make Brawl a more competitive game? Or is THIS the future of brawl?
All we have to do is have everyone be like Pikachu and discover a 60 damage CG on MK a year after the game came out.

ndayday

BRoomer
Check this out for the basic definition of counter picking: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Counterpick

It's basically picking a stage or a character that works well against your opponent. An example would be counter picking Dedede against DK, or counter picking something like Corneria on Jiggly because of the low ceiling. You should check out character specific boards to see what stages to counter pick etc.

TubaMarth

Smash Rookie
alright thanks and the character of the board talks about what that one character is weak against (stage and opponent)

Tenki

Smash Hero
guize, if i have a characters that are not having of projectiles,

how deal i with the people who jump retreat with aerials? they are the powerful like the staffs and even the Official Prima Strategy Guide for the Super Smash Brothers: Brawl do not give me idea??

eng: (specifically with multi jump characters)
What's the best way to deal with characters that like to double/triple jump a retreating aerial when you approach if you're using a projectile-less character?

I believe this is 'air camping' (?)

ndayday

BRoomer
you cod try 2 raed dem adn then atttak thm wen they mez up der aerails
or eben try 2 hit dem with aerails dat utprioritise ders dat cud work i atualu don now ask somone hoo iz betta im the bets in my skool but i cant rly baet som1 lyke mewtwokang

sry for my bad grammars please dont repot me 2 the staffs.

RI'18

Smash Rookie
How do ISJ's work and can they be done with every character?

Howr dos dat UBeRr tech dat makes em go "wowr he has doin zat jump so meny tim itr mINDgmeas LOL" happenz en supr smashr borgs barwllawl???11111????

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
How do ISJ's work and can they be done with every character?

Howr dos dat UBeRr tech dat makes em go "wowr he has doin zat jump so meny tim itr mINDgmeas LOL" happenz en supr smashr borgs barwllawl???11111????
Basically it's timing an aerial so that as you land your second jump, it's animation ends, and you buffer a jump. I suck at explaining things, so here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173119

For frame data, can anyone give me all the definitions of the terms. IASA, hitstun, hitlag, and anything else related to the frame data.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
There seems to be a lot of contradicting ideas about how an air release versus a ground release occurs. The only obvious result is that a release at the end of a platform/stage results in an air release. Some claim it is dependent on character sizes. Other statement is that if you're in the middle of a pummel, the opponent is forced to do a ground release. Some characters have extremely fast pummels. So what's the deal? Is there a good thread I can find for this?

The search feature isn't working as of the past few hours since this post.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Here's the whole mechanic: If the other person breaks out within a certain window around a pummel, they will ground break. Otherwise, if their feet aren't touching the ground when they break (due to character sizes, hold positions, being at the edge, etc...) then they will air break. Otherwise (feet on ground, break not during pummel) if at some point while being held the grabee hits a jump input, they will jump break when they eventually break free, otherwise they'll goundbreak.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Thanks, follow up question: Is there a general consensus on which is easier to follow up?
first off, note that if your character cannot pummel fast enough, you cannot force a ground break, and if your character cannot hold their characters feet off the ground, you cannot force an air break. That said, the ease of followup varies by matchup. For instance, marth can infinite grab release chaingrab ness eventually into a dsmash forcing a groundbreak via pummesls, while marth can do a grab release > tipper usmash on wario by forcing an aerial break via no pummeling.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Are there any guidelines on what can be done out of shield, and more importantly, how is it performed? All I can ever seem to do out of shield is grabbing - even Bowser's Fortress doesn't work, and that's the most infamous OoS move in existence.

fZk

Smash Lord
Are there any guidelines on what can be done out of shield, and more importantly, how is it performed? All I can ever seem to do out of shield is grabbing - even Bowser's Fortress doesn't work, and that's the most infamous OoS move in existence.
With tap jump ON, pres up-B while shielding. It wont work if you play with tap jump Off, as you can't jump out of shield.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
the trick is to jump cancel the up b or usmash. If you don't have tap jump on, you'll need to hit jump, then quickly hit b or usmash before leaving the ground.

Gotham7

Smash Apprentice
Is there a guide or thread on tricks and tips of spot dodging and also spacing?

ndayday

BRoomer
Start reading up!

-Keep Losing? Try this...
-Is there something wrong with dodging/rolling?
-Dodge/Roll Frame Data *now with air dodge!*

Also:

The thing about dodging, is that there are precise moments where you should perform them. Thus said, there are very precise ways to punish things with precise moments.
What I mean is..., if I run at you, it's not a good idea to roll after I attack, and it's not a good idea to roll before you're even in the danger zone, thus if you are ever to roll, there's a certain period of time in which you should do it, and if I even have a slight expectation, your character is out of your control for about half a second, all I have to do is pick the right direction to try to punish you.
Basically, it's too predictable. Spot dodging is obviously also predictable somewhat if your opponent keeps using it. Trust me, good players will adapt to it and punish you every single time for it and you'll get crucified. It seems good when you start playing the game, but I would never advise it unless you're moving away from your opponent to try and space yourself.
As long as you're not doing it like a moron and actually putting some thought into. You also have to keep the character in mind. For example, Lucario and King Dedede have amazing backrolls while Samus's and Yoshi's are laughably bad. From my experience, rolling back on the stage from the edge is probably one of the worst options and you should try to learn what your character can do while there. Some people, like Mario, Pikachu, and Fox, have a ton of options so don't just resort to just attacking, jumping up, rolling on the stage, etc.

ndayday

BRoomer
I believe it's in Melee...nontheless, it's pressuring a shield using shines and shffl'd aerials, with Fox and Falco of course.

For some reason I think it's in Brawl too, but of course it's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom