• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Why do people use the word "was" for Melee as if it just stopped existing, o_o.

Right before you land on the ground, airdodge diagonally into the ground like you would for a wavedash, and you'll land and slide.

Unless you're talking about people like Lucas's wavelanding (which I thought was wavebouncing o_o)

Cero

Smash Lord
Ah ok, thanks. What was it, just out of curiosity?
Do you know what a wavedash is?
Well, in Melee, the air dodge system was different from Brawl's. You only got one and you could input a direction. (up, down, left, right, diagonal, and neutral)

If you air dodged up, your character would dodge and "float" up for a little bit then slowly sink and then the game would treat it like you just did an up-B. (Like, you can't do anything.)
Same goes for all the other directions. If you didn't input any direction (neutral), you would just freeze in place, then fall.

Anyways, a wavedash was basically performed by doing a short hop and canceling it with a diagonal-downwards air dodge. The result is your character canceling their air dodge (not even seen) into a grounded slide.

Very good for controlling momentum and mindgames... Yada, yada, yada...

A waveland was just landing with a diagonal-down air dodge to get the same effect as a wavedash.

RI'18

Smash Rookie
Thank you, Cero. So it was just wavedashing from the air, as opposed to doing it on the ground? Well... thats not really different from wavedashing, is it? Was there a different effect?

Can someone please tell me what it is in Brawl?

Cero

Smash Lord
Thank you, Cero. So it was just wavedashing from the air, as opposed to doing it on the ground? Well... thats not really different from wavedashing, is it? Was there a different effect?
Nope. Not too different. Wavelanding was mainly used for mobility around platforms and mindgames.

Denzi

Smash Master
I never edgehog

but now I'm starting to

and uh...

how do you do that instant edgehog?!

n00b >_<

Run off the stage, press down, and then quarter circle the Control Stick back towards the stage. It has to be done rather fast (depending on your character), so you'll probably need to practice a little first.

RI'18

Smash Rookie

Run off the stage, press down, and then quarter circle the Control Stick back towards the stage. It has to be done rather fast (depending on your character), so you'll probably need to practice a little first.
Its easiest with Lugi I've heard, but I found it easiest with MK. With Luigi its not so much run of quarter circle, its more just run of then pull inot the ledge. With people its harder to do as I have seen ledge hogs don by a SH near the edge, then just pull into it. Not as practical I would imagine though.

Cero

Smash Lord
What do you mean?

Like, SH/FH into a footstool jump?

Or, change the height of a footstool jump the way you would do either a SH or a FH?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I use a classic controller to play and I am having difficulty performing tilts, notably f-tilt.
Would it be a good idea to make D-Pad perform tilts if possible or does it require too much trouble.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I use a classic controller to play and I am having difficulty performing tilts, notably f-tilt.
Would it be a good idea to make D-Pad perform tilts if possible or does it require too much trouble.
I use classic controller, and I definitely used to have this problem. Though I'm not sure it was because of the classic controller, tbh. Well, maybe a bit; the sticks are a bit more "firm" I think than the gamecube controller.... but anyway, I think you just need to practice tilting. Like, try to go some matches vs. CPU using just tilts, etc. It took may take some time but I'm extremely consistent now.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I use classic controller, and I definitely used to have this problem. Though I'm not sure it was because of the classic controller, tbh. Well, maybe a bit; the sticks are a bit more "firm" I think than the gamecube controller.... but anyway, I think you just need to practice tilting. Like, try to go some matches vs. CPU using just tilts, etc. It took may take some time but I'm extremely consistent now.
Thank you, I will do.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
About playing to win:

It's basically anything tournament legal that puts the player in an advantage, right?

So...

-Not giving advice
-Acting perfectly ok with the fact that someone fails at Smash and even encouraging them to take up other games
-Telling someone he/she is "okay" when it really means he/she is actually terrible
-Just encouraging mediocrity in general

...are not banned in tournaments, and it reduces the competition the player has to put up with, so all of that is "playing to win", right? So if someone's doing any of the above, they might not just be a relaxed and chill guy, but instead they might just be taking out the opposition without even holding a controller?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I don't see how any of that helps the competition...

Not giving advice makes the community weaker, making you grow slower and hurting your chances to win at a more distant tournament.

Telling someone to take up other games makes the community smaller, making the pot smaller, meaning you win less, especially if they were bad like you said and an easy win

I don't see how hurting a terrible player helps you.. once again makes the community weaker, and doesn't give you anything. You get a win from a terrible player, so.... grats?

Once again weakening the tournament scene. None of that stuff is banned, but just not smart from a global perspective, and will not help you win.

infomon

Smash Scientist
yeah, ppl take the "play to win" thing way too far. I mean like, I agree that within the game you should do whatever you can to help you win each match; and you can fill in all the arguments from the "play to win" philosophy about how this discourages frustration by centering focus on the game's actual design as opposed to scrub rules, etc. But many ppl think "play to win" translates to "be a **** irl" which .... that was never the point. I fully expect people to have a sense of personal honour and decency outside of the game; otherwise I won't play the game with them, and nobody wins.

It's a forum

Smash Apprentice
How can I make Brawl more Melee-like? I'm not talking about Brawl+, but what settings would get me the closest?
I've tried "Special Brawl", adjusting the gravity and changing the damage ratio but I was wondering what's the closest any of you have gotten to Melee in Brawl?
Heavy Gravity, with a damage ratio of .8 is what I'm trying. I heard 1.2 is closer, any suggestions?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Some people take the playing to win thing too far. Not everyone. Not everyone good. Not even close. just a few dcks. typically, if you're doing something like that, you're either hurting yourself now or in the future, so that's not playing to win, that's playing to be a douche.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
How can I make Brawl more Melee-like? I'm not talking about Brawl+, but what settings would get me the closest?
I've tried "Special Brawl", adjusting the gravity and changing the damage ratio but I was wondering what's the closest any of you have gotten to Melee in Brawl?
Heavy Gravity, with a damage ratio of .8 is what I'm trying. I heard 1.2 is closer, any suggestions?
The closest you could get by changing the in-game options is making it a bit faster and heavier, although I think it is much too exaggerated to be close to Melee's speed. The best way is to get codes like the airdodge code, hitstun modifiers, etc. That's the best way, since you can only change gravity and speed in-game, not things like hitstun and other Melee differences.

XienZo

Smash Lord
The closest you could get by changing the in-game options is making it a bit faster and heavier, although I think it is much too exaggerated to be close to Melee's speed. The best way is to get codes like the airdodge code, hitstun modifiers, etc. That's the best way, since you can only change gravity and speed in-game, not things like hitstun and other Melee differences.
The damage ratio increases hitstun at the cost of increased knockback. On the other hand, changing size can help you counteract the knockback.

About playing to win:

It's basically anything tournament legal that puts the player in an advantage, right?

So...

-Not giving advice
-Acting perfectly ok with the fact that someone fails at Smash and even encouraging them to take up other games
-Telling someone he/she is "okay" when it really means he/she is actually terrible

...are not banned in tournaments, and it reduces the competition the player has to put up with, so all of that is "playing to win", right? So if someone's doing any of the above, they might not just be a relaxed and chill guy, but instead they might just be taking out the opposition without even holding a controller?
Cuz psychology's and community views are going to catch up with you, like being guilty and unsure or no one wanting to have a friendly with you anymore, thus LOWERING the chances of you winning.

See, you can't just analyze direct consequences or everyone would be robbing banks.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
The damage ratio increases hitstun at the cost of increased knockback. On the other hand, changing size can help you counteract the knockback.
Ah, but then it would be nothing like Melee seeing as characters are supposed to be small, enlarging them would make the stage much smaller and as a result, much easier to get kills. This really doesn't make it much like Melee at all, the gravity/hitstun codes etc. are much more efficient. Also, you can't make wavedashing in Brawl without codes, which is a very important feature to Melee...but whatever you prefer, I suppose. It's not much better in any one method you choose to modify Brawl's built in options, IMO.

@Woody: I personally don't know, you could ask in the Pit boards.

:035:

woody72691

Smash Ace
well i wanted to ask all cause i dont when to use it, and when in the pit boards they dont tell u when to use it, just how to do it.

XienZo

Smash Lord
well i wanted to ask all cause i dont when to use it, and when in the pit boards they dont tell u when to use it, just how to do it.
Watch some vids of good players and look for when they use it and why they use it.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
this question is more like "have this happened to you before?"

in the first tournament that i went to with more than 2 Wiis, and some other people using wiimote+nunchuck and classic controller, my classic controller went crazy. I couldn't hold my shield for more than 1 second, same with some attacks like Lucas' downB (psi magnet) and everytime i tried to FH, i double jump instead. I asked the other guys that use wiimotes about that, but they said, "nope, everything's normal". I still think they're wrong they just don't see the difference because those problems don't affect their playstyles, but they do affect mine. I tried using other wiimotes, other classic controllers, playing in different wiis, but with no results.
This has happened to me twice, in different tournaments, different people and place, the only thing in common is that there are bunchs of wiis and wiimote. Is there any possibility that the wiimotes cause some kind of interference, even if the wiimotes are not being used? Has this happened to you before (or heard about it)?
thanks for reading :D

IxxI

Smash Fence

in the first tournament that i went to with more than 2 Wiis, and some other people using wiimote+nunchuck and classic controller, my classic controller went crazy. I couldn't hold my shield for more than 1 second, same with some attacks like Lucas' downB (psi magnet) and everytime i tried to FH, i double jump instead. I asked the other guys that use wiimotes about that, but they said, "nope, everything's normal". I still think they're wrong they just don't see the difference because those problems don't affect their playstyles, but they do affect mine. I tried using other wiimotes, other classic controllers, playing in different wiis, but with no results.
This has happened to me twice, in different tournaments, different people and place, the only thing in common is that there are bunchs of wiis and wiimote. Is there any possibility that the wiimotes cause some kind of interference, even if the wiimotes are not being used? Has this happened to you before (or heard about it)?
thanks for reading :D
No johns....

Eyada

Smash Apprentice

<long description of Wii remote wireless interference>
I experience wireless interference so much that I'm to the point where I am ready to abandon the Classic Controller and just relearn how to play Brawl with the GCN controller. I even went through the trouble of trying to find an adapter that would allow me to plug my CC into a GCN controller port so I could avoid wireless interference, but nothing good was available. I've become dependent on the extra shoulder trigger button that the CC has, so the transition will probably be rough, but the shoddy connectivity of the Wiimote is too ridiculous to put up with. Losing a match to a moment of connectivity loss because somebody in the room turned on their cell phone is just plain stupid.

About playing to win:

So...

-Not giving advice
I assume you're referencing Sirlin's ideas on "Playing to Win". Anyone who tells you that Sirlin encourages being rude to everybody while competing fails horribly at reading comprehension. In fact, anyone who comes away from reading "Playing to Win" thinking, 'Hey, Sirlin said I need to be a gigantic prick to everybody and do whatever it takes to win' has completely missed the point.

I'm not even sure how people get that idea, given that in his book Sirlin goes out of his way to emphasize that being a jerk to people at a tournament (or any other time) actually hurts your long-term chances of winning, while sometimes even putting your immediate chances of victory into jeopardy. (e.g., when you make a judge angry at you.)

.Marik

is a social misfit
^ Switch to a Gamecube Controller.

Trust us, you'll be thanking yourself after you've made the transition.

quinn95

Smash Journeyman
How exactly do I DI?
I play brawl+ with the brawlplussery 3.3 code set (I don't know if that makes a difference...)

But to DI do you just hold the control stick in the opposite direction you are flying? or is there a frame you have to do it on?
And I read about DI on smash wiki and it had like three different ways to do it, but I am not sure if that's melee or brawl.

Frown

poekmon
How exactly do I DI?
I play brawl+ with the brawlplussery 3.3 code set (I don't know if that makes a difference...)

But to DI do you just hold the control stick in the opposite direction you are flying? or is there a frame you have to do it on?
And I read about DI on smash wiki and it had like three different ways to do it, but I am not sure if that's melee or brawl.
When you DI to prevent yourself from flying off the screen, hit the control stick the second you get smashed away. You want to adjust your path so that you fly toward the corners of the screen. If you go horizontally, DI up. If you go vertically, DI left or right.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
When you DI to prevent yourself from flying off the screen, hit the control stick the second you get smashed away. You want to adjust your path so that you fly toward the corners of the screen. If you go horizontally, DI up. If you go vertically, DI left or right.
There's no timing necessary. Just be holding the direction as you're hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom