• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NCSU Smash Stacks - Round 9 @DUKE 10/30

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord

the attack hit reflex's shield.

snake... will not leave top 3 anytime soon.

well something I have noticed playing snake is that a lot of the time when you put your shield up you get hit by stuff that wouldn't have hit you had you not had it up. It really f*n sucks that you get a shield shove and can't punish when you otherwise would have been able too.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
well something I have noticed playing snake is that a lot of the time when you put your shield up you get hit by stuff that wouldn't have hit you had you not had it up. It really f*n sucks that you get a shield shove and can't punish when you otherwise would have been able too.
hitboxes don't just suddenly get bigger when you have your shield up, thats just stupid.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
hitboxes don't just suddenly get bigger when you have your shield up, thats just stupid.
no its not; well it might be stupid but it happens. Seriously, go into training mode and have your friend uptilt. For some reason it seems to hit more often when you have your shield up. I dunno if its something else going on or not. But whenever I put my shield up I get hit by something that seems like it wouldn't have hit me. Might just be perception but it really seems like their is something going on there.

edit: this is funny --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euHut_4zJ3s&feature=related

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
no its not; well it might be stupid but it happens. Seriously, go into training mode and have your friend uptilt. For some reason it seems to hit more often when you have your shield up. I dunno if its something else going on or not. But whenever I put my shield up I get hit by something that seems like it wouldn't have hit me. Might just be perception but it really seems like their is something going on there.
Um, that may just be because shields physically extend in front of a character's body....

edit: haha, PSI ninja'd me

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
The shield hurtbox is bigger than the character hurtbox when the shield is fresh.
that's what I was thinking but since I wasn't sure I didn't want to state it and be proven wrong; thanks for clearing that up

so we have arrived at the conclusion: don't shield against snake

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
lol ZeldaRox, I'm the leader of the Smash Lab, if you have any game mechanics questions just ask me. xD

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Brawls mechanics are more clean then melee. That was like the first thing that Sakurai when Nintendo announced brawl coming out. It's also a reason why alot of melee players raised an eye to brawl.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Rofl. They seem more "Clean" because brawl has buffering where melee has little to none.

Landing detection among other things is just different. The tern clean is a farce

any game where you can randomly trip doesn't have controls that are that "Clean"

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
And now watch as the situation escalates with unnecessary cries of "ugh this again guys come on"

or

"i just want to play this game and have fun stop fighting"

or

"take it to pms or something seriously"

Just let them have it out and move on or everyone ignore each other. It's so much easier.

though I personally enjoy the drama/discussion we can't do it right.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
If it wasn't for the great hype and commentary the Melee community generates, I'd have a seriously hard time enjoying the sight of most Melee matches (especially with the existence of Jiggs).

I prefer Brawl as a fighter, but seriously, Brawlers need to step up their hype/commentary games. The excellent hype we generated for Stingers at MLG was a step in the right direction.

The point I'm trying to make here is that with good hype/commentary, a normally mediocre match in either game can become entertaining. I also think that hype and commentary are two factors that play a part in the success or failure of a competitive fighter in the first place. Whether you're watching or playing, they're significant parts of the whole experience.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
If it wasn't for the great hype and commentary the Melee community generates, I'd have a seriously hard time enjoying the sight of most Melee matches (especially with the existence of Jiggs).

I prefer Brawl as a fighter, but seriously, Brawlers need to step up their hype/commentary games. The excellent hype we generated for Stingers at MLG was a step in the right direction.

The point I'm trying to make here is that with good hype/commentary, a normally mediocre match in either game can become entertaining.
it really doesn't get as exciting as this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZyZ2JzHBgM&feature=related

Foxy

Smash Master

The point I'm trying to make here is that with good hype/commentary, a normally mediocre match in either game can become entertaining. I also think that hype and commentary are two factors that play a part in the success or failure of a competitive fighter in the first place. Whether you're watching or playing, they're significant parts of the whole experience.
I've seen it get some hype past Melee for a while now (mostly due to the huge lack of upsets). Brood vs M2K, Ally vs M2K, ADHD vs Ally, a lot of big upset matches that had mind-blowing hype. Even HERB3 Reflex vs Kismet rivaled PP vs Hbox the previous day (which is basically our measurement for maximum hype per person).

What's really interesting it that a lot of people assumed, and still assume, that Melee is more exciting because of combos. Well, no, that's not really it, it can be more exciting because the ability to combo better means that momentum picks up faster and stays longer in a match, and for everyone watching, hype scales with the player's momentum, if you're neutral or cheering for them. Exponentially more exciting.

But when it comes to specifically hyped matches, especially between absolute top players, Brawl always trumps Melee. Though Melee has the huge skill gap weight of hype on it's shoulders (any kind of upset means a lot more because the skill gets so high), and it has great player momentum (longer+better hype and more comebacks aka hype)... almost all players at most skill levels watching the match just don't have the experience to see anything the top pro does really differently than a regularly good player more than every 10 seconds or so.

Watching Brawl between two players we know are amazing (or one underdog that part of the crowd knows is amazing) and having hype works so much better (and has) in almost every case because although they are just as much better than the people watching, the people watching can still see, more easily (because its slower and with smaller tech gaps) each really brilliant thing that each player does. So a Brawl match with massive hype has the whole crowd watching both players' spacing and choices closely and every few seconds can go loud or wild over some really tight spacing, or a really clever choice given their options. A Melee match with massive hype is average until one player starts landing some expected moves that are leading into unexpected things, and as one player gets going the hype grows and grows, but as long as it stays within bread-and-butter matchup choices and approaches/combos, most watchers know enough to never get much hype over it. You need an NC-status biased crowd to get exciting about non-combo exchanges like Fox spacing nairs/bairs/lasers, etcetera. A good measure for a mid-point of hype for a match is if people go crazy when a player gets a grab and starts a cg or combo that they know is going to happen, or if the crowd stays calm while the bread-and-butter grab combo happens. For example, think of Falcon's dthrow-knee kill combo generating hype in some semi-pro match like Hax vs Vanz or Scar vs MacD compared to a dthrow-knee kill in SS vs Armada. Hype is also strengthened by anticipation, and because of known combos in Melee and longer follow-through people can get more hype because they can hope for what they know is coming.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I should make reference to a certain German jigglypuff player who camped a fox on battlefield in melee for 8 minutes. But I'm not.
LOL one match of melee vs what, every single match of brawl?

looool.

Shut up. I love both of these games but i dont understand how this can even be an agurment unless you are legally ********.

LIKE, get a check in the mail ********.

Like your mom apologizes for you in public ********.

Best brawl commintator btw. Reflex vs Kismet herb 3 had crazy hype and me and foxy are amazing on the mic.

i HAVE TO SAY AUSTIN CARRIES ME THOUGH

Hmm, i prefer this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWlx64U4lg

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Well said, Foxy. I stand corrected on Brawl hype/commentary being weak in general, but I think we can all agree that NC Brawl could use a little more improvement in that department. We're not on the level of NC Melee, but we can get there. Perhaps you and Snap should commentate in NC tourneys more often.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Rofl. They seem more "Clean" because brawl has buffering where melee has little to none.

Landing detection among other things is just different. The tern clean is a farce

any game where you can randomly trip doesn't have controls that are that "Clean"
the game L cancels for you.

of course its clean.

there's nothing to mess up.
no need to feel threatend guys, but you should face the fact that brawl in FACT has a cleaner mechanic then melee :/

i wont say better cause that is opinion.

I've seen it get some hype past Melee for a while now (mostly due to the huge lack of upsets). Brood vs M2K, Ally vs M2K, ADHD vs Ally, a lot of big upset matches that had mind-blowing hype. Even HERB3 Reflex vs Kismet rivaled PP vs Hbox the previous day (which is basically our measurement for maximum hype per person).

What's really interesting it that a lot of people assumed, and still assume, that Melee is more exciting because of combos. Well, no, that's not really it, it can be more exciting because the ability to combo better means that momentum picks up faster and stays longer in a match, and for everyone watching, hype scales with the player's momentum, if you're neutral or cheering for them. Exponentially more exciting.

But when it comes to specifically hyped matches, especially between absolute top players, Brawl always trumps Melee. Though Melee has the huge skill gap weight of hype on it's shoulders (any kind of upset means a lot more because the skill gets so high), and it has great player momentum (longer+better hype and more comebacks aka hype)... almost all players at most skill levels watching the match just don't have the experience to see anything the top pro does really differently than a regularly good player more than every 10 seconds or so.

Watching Brawl between two players we know are amazing (or one underdog that part of the crowd knows is amazing) and having hype works so much better (and has) in almost every case because although they are just as much better than the people watching, the people watching can still see, more easily (because its slower and with smaller tech gaps) each really brilliant thing that each player does. So a Brawl match with massive hype has the whole crowd watching both players' spacing and choices closely and every few seconds can go loud or wild over some really tight spacing, or a really clever choice given their options. A Melee match with massive hype is average until one player starts landing some expected moves that are leading into unexpected things, and as one player gets going the hype grows and grows, but as long as it stays within bread-and-butter matchup choices and approaches/combos, most watchers know enough to never get much hype over it. You need an NC-status biased crowd to get exciting about non-combo exchanges like Fox spacing nairs/bairs/lasers, etcetera. A good measure for a mid-point of hype for a match is if people go crazy when a player gets a grab and starts a cg or combo that they know is going to happen, or if the crowd stays calm while the bread-and-butter grab combo happens. For example, think of Falcon's dthrow-knee kill combo generating hype in some semi-pro match like Hax vs Vanz or Scar vs MacD compared to a dthrow-knee kill in SS vs Armada. Hype is also strengthened by anticipation, and because of known combos in Melee and longer follow-through people can get more hype because they can hope for what they know is coming.
^ i approve.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Well said, Foxy. I stand corrected on Brawl hype/commentary being weak in general, but I think we can all agree that NC Brawl could use a little more improvement in that department. We're not on the level of NC Melee, but we can get there. Perhaps you and Snap should commentate in NC tourneys more often.
there is no need to haven commentary in locals, that's just lame.

edit: 313 that match was hype, but when BROOD beat M2k, it had the roof shaking dawg lol.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero

Gardevior

Smash Lord
To be honest, Melee feels cleaner to me than Brawl because you have infinitely more movement options than in Brawl.

BUT MAYBE THATS JUST BECAUSE I LIKE SPAMMING DASHDANCE.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
IMO, most Brawl mechanics tried to improve upon melee's to make the game make more sense intuitively. And they overall did a good job thinking of ways, but most of them fail in application.

Like Brawl's airdodge. It feels like an airdodge should, imo. In Melee, you can dodge an attack in the air by launching yourself in any direction, even up (wtf this isn't dragonball z), then you go into special fall because...it's taxing or something? (actually because it's broken gameplay-wise if you don't, but w/e. They could've restricted it to one airdodge per airtime w/o special fall and it would've been fine). IDK, I never really understood the physics behind Melee airdoge other than "It's a Roll! In midair!"

Brawl airdodge makes more sense to me. You dodge an attack in the air by, well, spot-dodging it. None of the crazy defying-gravity or suddenly changing directions that Melee had, and you don't lose your ability to do anything by dodging an attack in air. Much more intuitive.

That said, Brawl airdodge is ****ing stupid to play with/against in a game of Brawl, because there's no hitstun. It was fine in Brawl+. Every character has an instant way to get back to the stage or dodge an upcoming attack, and you can do it however many times you want. And Wario can camp with it.

Top Bottom