• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NCSU Smash Stacks - Round 9 @DUKE 10/30

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
ur a ****in ***get foxy

im on the ****in melee PRs and i was tryin to support ur brawl *** tourney, here u are saying there won't be any new people. suck my c0ck, srsly broman.

I think we care, lol.

don't make me infract u sally

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
They just never have good attendance compared to other events, even with proper scheduling and good luck. And small Brawl events aren't too fun to host, because nobody really gets to play anyone new, it's about the same group of people.
d00d, like waht?

First of all, they have great attendance. Second of all, they're not even major tournaments, they're VERY well run BIWEEKLIES. and they compete with the other larger tournaments around here.

Oh, and host low tiers. :3c

Foxy

Smash Master
what? NCSUs get good attendance o.o
6 of them had about or less than 20 entrants
1 of them had from 25-30 (although lower than expected from hype)
1 of them had about 45

If we can get another bigger one to happen, that would be awesome and I'd be happy to do my best to provide a professional and efficient environment for it.

It's just not quite worth the effort for much smaller Brawl tournaments, for a few reasons:

1. Small means mainly local players, who already play each other often
2. It also means that the winners are more-or-less easy to predict, and it becomes more of a fund for them
3. Brawl, moreso than Melee, suffers hugely from low numbers in the setup area.

#3 is the biggest deal. I generally decided to avoid running any Brawl tournaments with less attendance than about 30 people for that reason. At the 6 tournaments with few entrants, I don't think we ever broke 3 setups, except in the first few when Omni and I both had a working setup, so we started with 2 to 3 already, but those aren't around anymore. Running an 18 person tournament with 3 televisions isn't a good experience for anyone, because the fun of a small tournament with predetermined winners is the friendlies, which require setups.

The last one, which had 25-30, was actually looking to have a very nice number of setups, and it wasn't too bad, we ended up with a maximum of 5 for about a 4 hour period, but to make the tournament even mostly finish by 1 AM, I was continuously finding players and bringing them together and kicking friendlies off of free televisions for the tournament matches. I told players that they would have more time and space for their Brawl friendlies after some of singles finished, but that didn't end up being the case, as people do leave and we ended up with 4 and then 3 setups, all being needed.

Hyping up a tournament, getting decent attendance, and then watching everyone be unable to play friendlies while simply losing to the same people they always do is depressing as a TO, because that's the opposite of your goals.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
foxy haven't these always gotten like 50 people? brawlers come from out of random places to be at this.

host them. i have people i want to see at state...i need a good (read: melee) reason to go down all the way to raleigh.

edit: okay maybe that was just one big one. but they are biweeklies...but ppl love them. so they should return.

double edit: if half our state is playing wifi with each other, how do we not have setups? the brawl scene is silly...just bring some wii's and tv's guys.

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
foxy ur too emotionally unstable to be running these things.

just leave it to omni's disproportionate schlong.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol i always bring a setup when i go to tourneys. to bad ive never been to an ncsu =[

but really foxy its not a big a deal as you're making it out to be. not to mention, we literally have no brawl tourneys planned atm...you can be the one to step in and fill that void, and tourneys are always fun for the people that go, no matter if they have to play the same people or not. we like it.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
Also even if the same people win, it gives the others an oppurtunity to play them and others to imrpove on their skill. If people didn't host because the same people won I'm pretty sure TX, FL, SoCal, Md/Va, NorCal, and NY wouldn't host tourneys at all :(

It's not about who's winning it's about hosting to collectively improve as a whole community

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Man, I went to the ones with a larger turn-out, lol. But serious bro, I'll totally bring a set-up if I come. (which I will obv)

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Wow foxy really? like wtf. u have changed alot man, and i dont like this. When i make fun of you and call you scene, or emo, it was usually cause u are not emo, but now u are acting the way all other white people act. and i dont like that.

Host the tourneys, u know people will show.

If you don't WANT to host them, then say it and don't give dumb excuses. I'll host them, or Jon can.

*CT*

Smash Lord
I'm honestly wanting to visit a lot people at NCSU and I am waiting for another one of these to happen so I can take a Saturday off :p but it doesn't seem like its really happening.

Make another one of these happen bros.

@Foxy- Out of the PRed people the only people I've played in tournament were Rag (Bill's last tournament), Fyre (Karn's last tournament) , Stingers (BAC2) and Duo (NCSU 2nd biweekly) .....so I don't play the same people in tournament at all, and turnouts seem to be pretty decent imo.

PS* those were along time ago x.x I'm surprised I remembered those.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
Foxy i can vouch for most of the ecu brawlers to come to these if u host them again bro.
theres 3 who have never been to a tourney and wanna go to one
plus Bden!, Krackshotkrock, and i would come if homework doesnt get in the way.

Oh, and host low tiers. :3c
said by the genius of lucas himself ^__^

KoozyK

Smash Ace
Just host melee and brawl. If we don't try three games its easily doable. Ill run melee and enter brawl. @.@
that wouldnt work,
the set ups would be a problem, and i havnt been to a tourney that hosted both on the same day where the tourney finished before 12.
if we could find a away for the tourney to run faster then, this would be a good idea

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
that wouldnt work,
the set ups would be a problem, and i havnt been to a tourney that hosted both on the same day where the tourney finished before 12.
if we could find a away for the tourney to run faster then, this would be a good idea
its all about set-ups. and being a lot stricter. and more organized (not saying these aren't). like each setup should be assigned a station number; and then tell people where there station is. and dq anyone who doesn't start there tourney round within 20 mins (using commonsense of course; if the setup isn't open or if they had to deal with an emergency); getting people to get there tourney matches done opens up more setups for friendlies.

I can volunteer a setup. And I have quite a bit of extra money that Duke has given me so I can probably furnish 2 more partial setups (wiis and games) no problem (would rather spend that money elsewhere but its w/e) if nc smash is just incapable of getting it together and brining setups to these.

Foxy

Smash Master
Well, the interest sounds pretty good. I'll start the motions for planning one.

What's the tournament schedule for the next couple of months' weekends? All I know is

Oct 2 - Siege
Oct 9 - Duke
Oct 16 - MLG DC / Tipped Off 6
Oct 23 -
Oct 30 -
Nov 6 - Smash on the Rocks
Nov 13 -
Nov 20 - Revival of Melee 3
Nov 27 -

Any OOS tournaments NC is interested in that I forgot? I know that's important but I'm not caught up about it

As soon as we find a couple of good options for dates we can get this thing going.

@Keith lol emo trolz. ty for keepin me in check

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
ummm it would probably be best to leave these strictly brawl. Melee has enough tourneys.

let's start either 0ct 30th or nov 27th

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
ummm it would probably be best to leave these strictly brawl. Melee has enough tourneys.

let's start either 0ct 30th or nov 27th
I agree with this. If we're going to run something else, it should be brawl related, like low tiers or P:M.

Oct 30 sounds good to me.

DJRome

Smash Hero
its all about set-ups. and being a lot stricter. and more organized (not saying these aren't). like each setup should be assigned a station number; and then tell people where there station is. and dq anyone who doesn't start there tourney round within 20 mins (using commonsense of course; if the setup isn't open or if they had to deal with an emergency); getting people to get there tourney matches done opens up more setups for friendlies.

I can volunteer a setup. And I have quite a bit of extra money that Duke has given me so I can probably furnish 2 more partial setups (wiis and games) no problem (would rather spend that money elsewhere but its w/e) if nc smash is just incapable of getting it together and brining setups to these.
****, if u can buy 2 brawl setups, just drop 1 and buy us 10 melee setups

Top Bottom