• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Catfish Social Thread! *<3 KEV*

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i offered to buy it from him but he said he couldn't let it go because it was his only other controller.

i love toph btw

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
DJ Rome actually has everyone who is actually from NC on ignore. He just posts to look like he still cares.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
well, I agree, it does matter with spacies more. But, I snagged plenty of wins v. dave lastnight as fox v. his ganon, luigi, or w/e using a controller that he says has poor tendencies. I just don't think it matters 'that much', which wasn't a general statement, btw... was referring to sleepyk's situation, as in labeling the situation being solely dependent on the controller. There are many controllers to choose from, and I think that at least SOME can be broken in. After all, if you fully recognize the advantages/disadvantages of using a good/bad controller, surely the realization of how to adapt to certain controllers should come hand-in-hand, or at least with practice. so yeah, by 'that much' I meant the situation isn't a lost cause if you can't find the perfect controller.

as long as my stick / jump button(x) and Z are in working order, I have no complaints. The few times I think the controller could be at fault, I could just as easily blame on the beer anyway.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
M2k claims a lot of things.. And ya if you know all the quirks of your own controller then it's fine. Also yes Apex will be ridiculous.. it's actually pretty easy for me to get there so i'm def going.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
i have respect for m2k but yeah, I actually already had typed 'm2k has also said. . .' then kage's post appeared above mine.

where is apex btw?

and what are the most problematic parts about controllers for you guys?

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
In order for me to play Falco to the best of my ability I MUST have my controller SUPER worn in. I wear the grips down on the thumbs from dash dancing/moonwalking a lot so they are a little grippy but mostly smooth. I work my X button in super well or else the way I flick it with my nail causes me to miss SH (really tragic for SH Lasers). My control stick needs to be super loose or I can't dash dance well; my C-stick needs to be pretty close to that loose so that my nail/tip of my thumb can move it very slightly and get the right aerial every time. Half the time my C-sticks have chunks missing out of them because of this.

All different color controllers feel different. Orange and black feel the best (they are medium weight but still feel super high quality, especially orange), silvers feel heavier and harder to break in, and white feel plasticy and stiff kinda always because the mechanisms in the triggers are a little different and the gloss is weird. They no longer make new versions of the types of controllers I like so when mine finally wear out (I've literally used 4 or 5 to absolute falling apart), I have to find older controllers that generally take me at least 3+ months to really get worn in.

Controllers are HUGE for me.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I'm the opposite. I am light when pressing buttons and using the stick.. I love the feeling of a brand new controller. The grip feels great because it does a lot of the work for me.. the more grip = the lighter I can be with controls. I don't wear controllers out.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
I just have to get used to the axes...i think i hold some controllers differently, so sometimes when i do fox stuff with a different controller, my shine turnaround bair gets me stuck in my shine cuz i don't end up jumping out. a little focus changes that though.

when i'm ganon, it doesn't matter. my wavedashes seem longer with a loose controller, but thats the same as the axes/looseness feel.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Jesse, me and you are literally exact opposites! Craziness, new controllers are the worst.

I push my inputs like I really mean it. haha Whenever I sit beside Adam and we play he says he can feel my body jolts from doing key inputs. I think it's something I kinda got from watching Shiz and Chops actually.

If you have ever watched the way either one of them plays, you'll know exactly what I mean. So much feeling.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
i have respect for m2k but yeah, I actually already had typed 'm2k has also said. . .' then kage's post appeared above mine.

where is apex btw?

and what are the most problematic parts about controllers for you guys?
Lol M2K

Apex is January 6th-8th in NJ. It'll be amazing!

The reason I stopped using my other controller I had been for a year was a direct result of the L button sticking(what I shield and WD with....tech with R a lot lmao makes no sense) after I used it some(like it would stay held down and cause me to lightshield if I didn't want to or make me shield longer than I wanted to for example). Other than that, the only issue I have ever experienced with a controller is the control stick not responding as well as I'd like.

I've had a generally good time with my controllers but at one a year lately I suppose I'll be finding more issues than I'll like haha.

In order for me to play Falco to the best of my ability I MUST have my controller SUPER worn in. I wear the grips down on the thumbs from dash dancing/moonwalking a lot so they are a little grippy but mostly smooth. I work my X button in super well or else the way I flick it with my nail causes me to miss SH (really tragic for SH Lasers). My control stick needs to be super loose or I can't dash dance well; my C-stick needs to be pretty close to that loose so that my nail/tip of my thumb can move it very slightly and get the right aerial every time. Half the time my C-sticks have chunks missing out of them because of this.

All different color controllers feel different. Orange and black feel the best (they are medium weight but still feel super high quality, especially orange), silvers feel heavier and harder to break in, and white feel plasticy and stiff kinda always because the mechanisms in the triggers are a little different and the gloss is weird. They no longer make new versions of the types of controllers I like so when mine finally wear out (I've literally used 4 or 5 to absolute falling apart), I have to find older controllers that generally take me at least 3+ months to really get worn in.

Controllers are HUGE for me.
Yeah I've heard different colors have different things, and tons of people hate white ones. I never cared that much about the color so much as how broken in it was in a certain way. Some people are more particular than me lol.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i heard that the GC actually has a mic in it. a large noise during any of ganons attacks adds half a percent to it.

it can make all the difference.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
The reason I stopped using my other controller I had been for a year was a direct result of the L button sticking(what I shield and WD with....tech with R a lot lmao makes no sense) after I used it some(like it would stay held down and cause me to lightshield if I didn't want to or make me shield longer than I wanted to for example). Other than that, the only issue I have ever experienced with a controller is the control stick not responding as well as I'd like.
That is the exact same issue I always have! The mechanisms in the L button always get worn out and start sticking. My current controller does it and I have to do the holding it slightly down while plugging it so I don't light shield/roll after random L cancels. Craig actually took apart my orange one and replaced the whole L button mech with parts from another controller once and that was beast.

And yeah, FFFFF control sticks.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
how do you guys feel about the Justin Wong vs. EVO thing?

http://shoryuken.com/content/evo-ruling-regarding-power-up-2011-4410/
http://www.justin.tv/teamsp00ky/b/284935827 - the match in question. starts at 1:56:00

personally, I think it is total BS @ what evo did. a player can do WHATEVER they want, 100%, no questions asked. if they wanted to throw the match, that's A-OK in my book. and I say this as a competitive video game player. the only thing that would make that 'illegal' is if they were found betting on themselves to lose somehow. that's it. if they're trying to legitimize their sport, they need to learn how to run tournaments first. I've been to SF4, MVC3, and lots of smash tourneys, and I'd say literally every smash tourney I've ever been to has been better run then the SF4 and MVC3 tourneys. Random seeding and only top 3 payout even at NATIONALS, which is freaking laughable. When you're playing for a pot, you DO NOT do a 70-20-10 split in thousand man tournaments. EVO is a joke...
and lets say justin wong's girlfriend broke up with him, his dog died, and his parents home was destroyed by a tornado all in the same day, right before a huge tournament. if he's not playing up to par that day, should he be punished for losing? lmao
First, the devil's advocate. Is it EVO's job to make sure all of its competitors feel okay or want to win when they allow them to enter? That's not the company's main job. EVO is trying to run competitions, and having someone sandbag or screw around in their competitions arguably ruins the integrity of EVO's own event. I mean, think of how this would look to everyone if EVO said "yeah okay Jwong it's cool bro just don't do it again please!" Everyone else would expect similar treatment if they goofed off and it becomes a difficult ruling to enforce as it is, especially since the players will likely never admit to what they did, even if their actions were quite plain. While EVO did punish someone who simply hurt their own performance, Justin still manipulated the bracket insofar as he could have arguably won the tournament or outplaced Noel at least from what everyone observed.

Now then, as a player, I like having the freedom to do whatever I want. If I worked to get this skill, then why can't I use it how I see fit? And yeah, feeling bad is no strange sensation to me, so maybe I'll commit to a tournament because I want to see everyone but not want to fully engage in the competition. There are a laaaaarge number of factors that influence wants to not try, and they've only grown over the years lol. From that standpoint, I don't blame Jwong for sandbagging if he did, and I'm sure a yellow card would have made the issue clear to him that he has to understand what he's doing can't be stood for, despite the fact that his humanity will make that more difficult at some times than others.

SleepyK

well, I agree, it does matter with spacies more. But, I snagged plenty of wins v. dave lastnight as fox v. his ganon, luigi, or w/e using a controller that he says has poor tendencies. I just don't think it matters 'that much', which wasn't a general statement, btw... was referring to sleepyk's situation, as in labeling the situation being solely dependent on the controller. There are many controllers to choose from, and I think that at least SOME can be broken in. After all, if you fully recognize the advantages/disadvantages of using a good/bad controller, surely the realization of how to adapt to certain controllers should come hand-in-hand, or at least with practice. so yeah, by 'that much' I meant the situation isn't a lost cause if you can't find the perfect controller.

as long as my stick / jump button(x) and Z are in working order, I have no complaints. The few times I think the controller could be at fault, I could just as easily blame on the beer anyway.
so you definitely should have said "controllers don't matter that much to me" amirite

that's like telling someone who is wear clothing that is multiple sizes too large or too small and telling someone that it doesn't matter because they're still covered.
(and let's not bring up "beggars can't be choosers" here because we're talking about playing a video game which is a luxury in its own right)

your statement also explains that you should be able to break in controllers or adapt to them, which is not really something you should have to do.

it also somewhat implies that i haven't tried to "properly break in a controller" or that i'm just complaining too much when i've gone through maybe 7-12 different ones. i've "broken them in" and none of them have been any good for me, but i still play with them anyway.

idk i can't place my thoughts into words very well at the moment but i find your opinion to be ignorant about the importance of controllers to most players, especially technical ones. perhaps you are undervaluing just how important it is to be able to execute properly and have YOUR equipment respond to how YOU need it to (as opposed to having to adapt to your equipment) in a tournament setting where a mistake can cost you a match.

i also did not cry out in despair and give up because i don't have a good controller.

i break their backs and make them love me.

like camels.

M2k claims to be soley dependent on his controller

:phone:
i played with him over the past two days... and he kind of is

this is pretty easy to fix, actually. the rubber pad in the trigger is usually the cause - it starts to tear and needs to be replaced. if you don't use your other trigger that often, you can just swap them out.

I've had a generally good time with my controllers but at one a year lately I suppose I'll be finding more issues than I'll like haha.

Yeah I've heard different colors have different things, and tons of people hate white ones. I never cared that much about the color so much as how broken in it was in a certain way. Some people are more particular than me lol.
white ones i believe use the same mold and parts as the platinum ones, which were the lowest quality of the original GC controllers.

SleepyK

also double post because kevin won't infract me

i've pretty much given up on finding a good controller and just break every controller's back like a camel

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
When I land a Dair with Ganon, I lean forward quickly to make the attack stronger lol.
I thought everyone did this. In fact I was under the impression you couldn't be a pro ganon with out doing it.

Hugely important AT. I always called it LFWID, for Leaning Forward When I Dair.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
your statement also explains that you should be able to break in controllers or adapt to them, which is not really something you should have to do.
Well, if you already consider getting used to a controller's tendencies 'not something you should have to do', then no wonder you have trouble finding a controller. Keep in mind I said "there has to be SOME controllers that work". So you took the context of me saying 'out of all the controllers out there, some have to be at least suitable' as 'all controllers are able to be broken in'......sweet. Your expectations of a controller is one that caters to the player completely... that is pickier than the average competitive player, I think. and I actually DO think it's dependent on the person, was just stating my take on it that it wasn't "THAAAAAAAAAAAT BAD"(and keep having to explain and re-explain what I meant by this comment. . . notice that I only said that single comment was directed towards you.. the rest has all been dialogue with me and other ppl about my take on it ).. the only thing I assumed is that maybe you are pickier than the average competitive player w/ controllers.. and I'm prob. right. At least it was a better assumption than my simple mind not understanding the depth of your controller issues in regard to tech skill(LOL).

SleepyK

i meant having to continuously break it in and "get used to it" over a period of time more than anything. i feel like breaking in and getting used to a controller is a constant process (because controllers wear out and etc)
i kept switching between breaking something in over the long run and having to adapt to a controller immediately, so i ended up not really saying what i wanted to say, my bad.

and i'm really not that picky.

like i sez, i haven't had a "good" controller since p4, but it doesn't matter to me too much. i generally chalk it up to me not practicing and leave it at that.

also it seems like we're assuming things on both sides and looking back my post looked like it contained some malice when i didn't mean for it to at all.

i think we're on the same page as far as "it's different for each person" but i feel a good controller can make or break a player sometimes.

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
Ok, new smashboards layout is terrible, can I get rid of it?

I actually came to post about the Bloodline Champions tourney on Saturday in Raleigh. Everyone should come out to it, no entry fee and I won a video card that I sold for 120$ for getting first in the last one.

Run by the same guy so similar prizes!

I can get you more info and a FB invite if interested.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
ok so I will be near raleigh tuesday night I think. I was going to wilmington for the night but I think i'm going to hit up some friends / a female instead then drive 2 hrs to uncw the next morning, then take the ferries back home that night. So yeah, tuesday night... if anyone is down to smash, I am prob. down.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
haha doesn't even have to be a smash fest, it's w/e. i just figured at least someone would want to play, but the more the better. . . I will also bring the necessities for a good time, for anyone wishes to participate.

Top Bottom