• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Brocator Thread!

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Hey all. My name is Bryan I'm a melee player from Reidsville, NC

AIM: ChocoChipToons
Mobile: 336 451 2569

I've been out of the game since 09 but if someone from gboro or the rest of the triad wants to hit me up and play I'd love the chance. I won't have a car until January so you'd have to come here but I'll happily treat you to some food and let you stay over if you need to rest if you come over. (Cookies are plentiful) I also like Project:M so if anyone has an Alpha copy and wants to play too, I'm game.
i live in greensboro. overall, i like cookies. i'm also pretty good at this game too. hopefully sooner than later, we can play.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Hey all. My name is Bryan I'm a melee player from Reidsville, NC

AIM: ChocoChipToons
Mobile: 336 451 2569

I've been out of the game since 09 but if someone from gboro or the rest of the triad wants to hit me up and play I'd love the chance. I won't have a car until January so you'd have to come here but I'll happily treat you to some food and let you stay over if you need to rest if you come over. (Cookies are plentiful) I also like Project:M so if anyone has an Alpha copy and wants to play too, I'm game.
added.

lol'd at lucas' "conditioning isn't real" statement.

Moophobia

Smash Champion
You're saying conditioning isn't real so it's like saying I could just do the same technique over and over and since you wouldn't adapt to it I shouldn't change my strategy because you wouldn't be conditioned to do something else for being punished for some pattern over and over.

Moophobia

Smash Champion
I'm using your adaptation to change your option and being ready for it. I'm conditioning you to change because of my pressure/punishing something constantly.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Comprehension =/= Understanding
Well, yeah. Comprehension is more deep than understanding.

Kidding aside, I've actually studied language change, and language acquisition is an inextricable part of any linguistics course's syllabus. So I actually have studied this stuff you guys are talking about. Suffice to say, comprehension always--always precedes generation. Always. Pre-speech infants can understand and respond to a large number of simple clauses, at least a year before they can generate them. And their generated utterances follow much less nuanced grammars, at every level, than the grammars that they have the ability to understand.

Understanding is also the last to go. Bilinguals who speak one language significantly more than another continue to be able to understand complex utterances well after they are unable to produce similar utterances themselves.

The language allegory is also not quite directly related. There's a whole part of the brain devoted to langauge. Strategic competition is a different monster entirely.

As to that, maybe y'all are right, and I'm missing some hugely important thing that tournament experience will give me (as far as simply understanding what's on the screen), that I can't get from watching the game. But maybe, instead of just referring to it as some mystical je ne sais quois, you could actually put it into concrete terms.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
How is putting NC down publicly a good way to get any credibility for those trying to argue constructively? That negativity has no place here, especially if it's as you say.

@phoot: As I've said before, I personally, as a player, take a lot of joy in taking the complexity of Melee, breaking it down simply, and reassembling it into something complex again to use to play. To watch how someone else takes every nuance of Melee such as a dash dance or a mindset(such as aggression) and translates it into a complete style is a very wonderful thing to experience. This is enjoyable on both an intellectual and somewhat emotional level for me. Intellectual because of the complexity yet simplicity of the thoughts required to create such a style, and emotional because I will compare it to my own and wonder at how the journey to construct their own concept of Melee came to be. It is very hard to say if this is what everyone else experiences or not when they watch Melee, because I have never talked about it with anyone, but when every good player I've ever seen can sit around and just watch Melee and get excited to play it from nothing else, that seems like there's at least something in my suggestion that's relateable to them that I'm not sure if you can have without going through what a player goes through. I know that's pretty vague but I guess it's the best I can offer in terms of somethng mildly concrete at the moment....

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't think that's a reaction you have to have tournament experience to get, though. I say this having had similar reactions to watching Melee. Once again, I think being able to figure out what's going on is the genesis of that feeling.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
The language allegory is also not quite directly related. There's a whole part of the brain devoted to langauge. Strategic competition is a different monster entirely.

As to that, maybe y'all are right, and I'm missing some hugely important thing that tournament experience will give me (as far as simply understanding what's on the screen), that I can't get from watching the game. But maybe, instead of just referring to it as some mystical je ne sais quois, you could actually put it into concrete terms.
I'm fairly certain that language requires the same or similar left and right brain usage (left for structure, right for creativity) as just about anything else. Language might be more innate and hard coded in (as language you understand has generally been used for many years) and it requires verbal parts of your brain (since it's speech obviously) but I'd definitely guess that pattern recognition and things like conditioning use very similar mechanisms.

Also, I haven't been talking in mystical je ne sais quios anything and I don't feel like anyone else has either. This is a part of your experience that you are completely missing and therefore it sounds foreign and hypothetical to you.

Like really, you want concrete examples of specific feelings that happen in specific matches between specific players. That's like asking somebody to describe all the person specific intimate details of their relationship and you expecting to understand it the same way they do. Imagine if you asked Chris to explain concretely and precisely all the personal and specific ways he loves his girlfriend on any given day. He could talk literally forever about it and you might appreciate, you might comprehend, but you will not truly understand (and neither will anyone else).

And to Alex (00000000r0000000m): Like Chris said, tip of the iceberg.

EDIT Cam: Just because you read the conversations in terms of people trying to "win" doesn't mean that's actually what's going on. I'm always attempting to teach things I know and conversely understand/learn things from others, people just are too quick to assume arguments are ill spirited.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm fairly certain that language requires the same or similar left and right brain usage (left for structure, right for creativity) as just about anything else. Language might be more innate and hard coded in (as language you understand has generally been used for many years) and it requires verbal parts of your brain (since it's speech obviously) but I'd definitely guess that pattern recognition and things like conditioning use very similar mechanisms.
If there weren't parts of the brain specifically used for language processing, they couldn't test grammaticality with a CAT scanner.

Also, I haven't been talking in mystical je ne sais quios anything and I don't feel like anyone else has either. This is a part of your experience that you are completely missing and therefore it sounds foreign and hypothetical to you.
I figured as much.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
If there weren't parts of the brain specifically used for language processing, they couldn't test grammaticality with a CAT scanner.
Frontal Lobe- associated with reasoning, planning, parts of speech, movement, emotions, and problem solving
Parietal Lobe- associated with movement, orientation, recognition, perception of stimuli
Occipital Lobe- associated with visual processing
Temporal Lobe- associated with perception and recognition of auditory stimuli, memory, and speech

(http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/kinser/Structure1.html)

Explain to me in what way the parts of the brain that language uses are not also being used for Melee. Even if it's not a very specific part, it's at least the same lobes being used. And it's not as if the different parts of the brain are not connected super intimately via the corpus collossum.

Think about it. In what way is using moves in a game any different than using language in real life? Sure you are greatly limited in overall tone and word choices, but you are essentially still expressing yourself in a different language. Matches remind me of conversations in the same way that two musicians flowing in sync together remind me of conversations. It seems short sighted and close minded to me to treat verbal speech patterns (English for example) as the only things rightfully considered "language". I use the same free thinking approaches in conversation as I do in games or music or anything else.

0Room

Smash Lord
Guys
I know that's the tip of the iceberg

I was giving a simple demonstration so that everyone would be on the same page

You would hope a psych major would understand that there's more to conditioning than one simple example

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
There's several sensible points here... Here is my take(not really making much of a point), but nevertheless not containing psychology or philosophy components(no horse ****).

There's several people in diff. games that are extremely good, but good in particular in a general way of turning/bending any situation to their favor, yet wouldn't be able to technically break down the good things that are enabling them to do so. There are smash players like this, over time understanding has increased so I guess there are less now then there was probably. Being good at the game certainly isn't a prerequisite for understanding, in that aspect anyway. And seriously.. when I read between the lines in this argument, it's pretty gay. I mean, smash isn't THAT much of a complicated game, and I am sure I'll be attacked for my lack of appreciation of it's complexity, which it is complex in it's own way, but it's still just a 2-d fighter. Understanding melee should not be treated as some uncommon gift of the elite, lol.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
The Origin of ‘Stack It Up’

During a conversation between two Smashers at the G6 2 Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament on live commentary of the Winners Finals match between Dr. Pee Pee and Mew2King, a local North Carolina Smasher’s insight is solicited to provide a description of the phrase ‘Stack It Up’

Soft: We’re going to now hear a word from Ryan (Georgia Native), who’s a Pro-Commentator as well.

Ryan: Oh my good god, I love this match-up. I can’t believe that they’re both going Fox right now. They’re both ‘stacking it up’ right now.

Soft: Ryan, you seem like a fan of not only Jason and Kevin, but of Kevin’s slogan that his fans have created for him – ‘stack it up’; can you explain what that means as no one really knows what that means here.

Ryan: No one from Georgia really knows what ‘stack it up’ means. What does ‘stack it up’ mean?

Soft: Here, we have a North Carolina native – Joshua Vivarette, and he plays Smash as well. And, he’s pretty much Kevin’s right-hand man; he said Kevin “hates him.” You know, ‘hate’s a strong word, but if the shoe fits, then you know… Anyway, he’s here to provide a definition of what ‘stack it up’ means. Can you please provide a brief description, Josh?

Josh: ‘Stack it up’; ‘Stack it up,’ in itself, is just a hype phrase, so it doesn’t really matter so much what it is you’re stacking. But the origin of ‘stack it up’ goes back to a particular visit to – I believe it was – a McDonald’s or a Wendy’s, and our homeboy, Twig, was hanging out and he had been confronted by these two large African-American gentlemen, and they were both wearing large coats, you know – like Black People do. And, my man Twig was like, he was standing there, and I guess they were just talking about the sandwiches, or maybe it was even the money; I forget – you know what Black People talk about; I don’t know. And, um, more importantly, they were just really hype about whatever they were doing, and Twig, being the skinny White Guy that he is, thought he would run with it, and he said, “Well you know man, Hell Yeah – Stack it Up. ” And these guys were like, “**** Yeah – Stack it Up!” and they got really hype. From that moment, he thought it was the funniest thing he had ever seen; he was like, “Yo, I bet you we could get people to scream that at a tournament non-stop”…

Soft: Thank you, Josh; that was very informative, and now we all know. You know, this type of information – this accurate and true reporting and these great matches can only be found at your Smash Studio, so we want to thank Ryan and Josh for being here with us today…

Top Bottom