• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Brocator Thread!

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
People made it work before in worse locations. Just gotta be dedicated man. Shame you don't agree.
Don't talk to me about worse locations. I went to ECU where no one would come out to play. I had only James who stopped playing half way through my last year there and Adam once every blue moon. I still came to stuff and I still improved.

The tournaments should be cities close to where people are if you want attendance. Do you know how many people didn't go to G6 because it was too far away or because how much it would cost them to get there? Money is a real issue, Kevin.

And don't talk to me about dedication. No one in Raleigh played hardly before I got there and most of them only play because I get them to my house to play. I'm more dedicated to this scene existing and people improving than just about anyone else in this state.

You are making this personal and I am just telling you that Wilmington is a terrible place to host a tournament if you want it to be successful. Don't agree? Try and find out.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It's not personal but you're making it that way. Whatever lol. I can just say "live in shelby way worse than ecu hurr durr" but that doesn't solve anything and neither of us will pity the other.

And if you are so dedicated then why are you against tournaments(regardless of locations we need them)?

Edit: Chris, Stongers is only hosting Brawl. And I'm saying casuals that might be kinda interested that the venue/Bryan could get to could come. Tournaments get them out there but if we don't give it a chance then they can't grow. Why would they suddenly start playing without close tournament incentive? I think more people in NC wanted to play more after they saw a tournament so it could potentially be the same for Wilmington. All I'm saying is give it a shot and see what kind of turnout we can expect before writing it off at the least.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
you and i both know we could storm that ****.

and run that ****.

but nobody cares lol.

in other news you're both right lol.

:ganondorf:

wilmington blows as a location, but we need tournaments.

if sneak feels like checking out that other place, then we'll host in greensboro and be wildly successful.

melee will also storm arch's **** and make TGM's cool.

and 0room also appears to be starting things in boone.

and i'm playing fox.

edit: if bryan creates a scene there as i said, it could work. that same idea is what got those SC bros me and bden have befriended so well up to the last G6. if he can magically unleash a pocket like what was in Goose Creek, melee can take a front page approach again.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I just don't feel like we can afford to write it off so quickly since we're strapped for tourneys(sneak isn't cleared for anything and neither is 0room), but I'll admit the distance required to make it for most is tough.

I still think it'd be doable though if it came down to it. Just a matter of want.

Mahone

Smash Champion
FEASIBLE???

Does the gazelle wonder how feasible it is to leave the herd to reach the berries at the other side of the river.... no. The gazelle takes the risk that the river might be too deep... most of the time the gazelle will drown.. but sometimes.... just sometimes.... the gazelle will reach the other side and live the dream of endless berries with no fear of lions.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
FEASIBLE???

Does the gazelle wonder how feasible it is to leave the herd to reach the berries at the other side of the river.... no. The gazelle takes the risk that the river might be too deep... most of the time the gazelle will drown.. but sometimes.... just sometimes.... the gazelle will reach the other side and live the dream of endless berries with no fear of lions.
nature is the most poetic warrior-esque thing sometimes

Divinokage

Smash Legend
FEASIBLE???

Lol.. You say words but what are you doing in your house still? Where's your apartment near smashers, huh huh!?

Mahone

Smash Champion
DAMN... lol

well a true warrior rides his horse into battle... he doesn't sit idly by waiting for his opponents come to him

Divinokage

Smash Legend
*It's curious, says the warrior of light to himself.
I have encountered so many people that - on their first occasion - tends to show the worst of themselves.
They hide their internal force behind aggressivity ; they mask their fear of solitude under an independant air.
They do not believe in their own capacity, but wastes their days by proclaming the four winds their qualities.*
The warrior reads those signs on number of men and women, he met.
He never lets himself be abused by appearances and forces himself to be quiet when people try to impress him.
But he seizes every occasions to correct his mistakes, because the others are always a good mirror of ourselves.
A warrior takes every opportunities to become his own master.

=P

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
"My hero calls my phone, just to put that in doubt then
Then I am confused if I want in or just out
My friends really think I'm playing when I say I need counseling
I sit in grandmother's living room and just pout
And shout loud inside, sometimes I just want to die (no you dont)
Odd Future came from the bottom
And it's gonna take a couple armed armies tryna stop 'em
All you ****ing lames don't have to like me
The devil doesn't wear Prada, I'm clearly in a ****ing white tee"

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
also, I'm pretty sure that bryan was aware of how far away wilmington is from everyone. But no one in NC is hosting so why not let the guy host? No need to shoot the guy down if no one's willing to host.

Also, I wasted my 5000th post on that.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
see christen, here in NC we like to create an understanding that there's a difference between making a point, and having a point to making a point. sure maybe the latter actually goes somewhere, but then we'd have less to talk about.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
also, I'm pretty sure that bryan was aware of how far away wilmington is from everyone. But no one in NC is hosting so why not let the guy host? No need to shoot the guy down if no one's willing to host.
Now that school is back again there will be more venues made available and it will likely happen that someone from a more populated area will get cleared on a venue soon enough. For example, Alex's events at State will likely become successful events. Also, I know DJ would be willing to host somewhere if we actually show up to stuff.

Again, not bashing Bryan at all, I just don't think a Wilmington event is a good idea while attendance in general has already been lack luster. If stuff had been really competitive and everybody had been travelling/wasn't broke, I'd support the idea 100%.

To put it another way: it would make more sense for (and would likely yield better results) if Kevin was to host a tournament in Shelby than for Brian to host in Wilmington. Kevin's house:

+ Proximity to a major city (Charlotte) with a larger body of players -> leads to greater interest in the game which can be cultivated.
+ A big name host which will catch attention/ensure quality
- Lousy venue

In Wilmington:

- Located in a secluded city with 1 serious player -> leads to Spoon syndrome (great interest in game killed by lack of ability to play a healthy variety of players/ lack of ability to travel and improve)
- Lesser known host (We know and love Brian but the average player probably doesn't know who he is or how he'd be as a host)
+ Amazing venue

lord karn

Smash Master
I agree that the attendance might be bad, but if no one else hosts anytime soon, I think we may as well do a tourney in Wilmington. There were actually a good number of players there back in the day. I wonder if any of them still play.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
There's too much passing the buck in this thread. Everybody wants tournaments, but nobody is stepping up to the plate except Stingers, who is doing Brawl because they are a benefit to him, for which I can't really blame him. I'm not exempt from this; I'd like tournaments, preferably close by, as well. But my priorities lie elsewhere. School trumps Smash, so the time investment to actually promote and host tourneys comes at a high cost to me. I would quite like to do both, but my time management isn't that great.

My advice to all of you (and hopefully to myself as well): if you want to have tournaments, find a way to host them yourself. No excuses. Don't wait for somebody else to do it, or no one will.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Okay so, the reason I think no one is stepping up is the overall time/effort expended for minimal compensation when most everyone is broke/busy with work or school. In fact, we tend to crucify our organizers until they decide it's not worth it. (eg: DJ/Austin/Vilt)

So why don't we make a community effort to host something?

-Have everyone agree on a date that would optimize attendance.
-Have someone make the thread with an agreed upon rule set.
-Have someone guarantee a venue, preferably someone at a University where we can get a big room (that is secluded, since we're loud) like the State tournaments.
-Have everyone promote it in their individual Smash circles and agree to bring stuff for it.
-Have everyone pitch in running the tournament itself.
-Enforce a low door fee whether or not we have a venue cost. Use the door fee to contribute to the prize pot and help keep entry costs low.

I'd happily bring set ups, help run brackets and help set up a venue. I can house people too and help with organizing transportation. I wouldn't personally mind calling matches/doing a lot of the running of the actual event itself.

If we want a GOOD tournament, we should probably do that things that make for good tournaments.

Thoughts?

lord karn

Smash Master
I think the main problem is that we had one or two hosts that tended to host lots of tournaments, and then a few others that popped up on the side. Since Bill left and I can't host anything right now, and since DJ quit hosting, we don't really have many other options. We've had a few other tournaments, but nothing as regular as what we had before. We need to find a consistent venue that we can use. Unfortunately, UNC is really stupid about room reservation type stuff, so I doubt UNC is really an option.

I would love to host again if possible, but my apartment is just too small now. We should really just run melee and brawl at the new NCSU tournies. . .

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I think the main problem is that we had one or two hosts that tended to host lots of tournaments, and then a few others that popped up on the side. Since Bill left and I can't host anything right now, and since DJ quit hosting, we don't really have many other options. We've had a few other tournaments, but nothing as regular as what we had before. We need to find a consistent venue that we can use. Unfortunately, UNC is really stupid about room reservation type stuff, so I doubt UNC is really an option.
Well yeah. That's pretty much exactly what I was saying in my post. My solution was for it to not be so dependent on one person.

We should really just run melee and brawl at the new NCSU tournies. . .
And yeah, this.

Top Bottom