• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Brocator Thread!

lord karn

Smash Master
Well yeah. That's pretty much exactly what I was saying in my post. My solution was for it to not be so dependent on one person.

And yeah, this.
Well, you were saying that it was the lack of money/time on everyone's part, whereas I was saying the change was really because a small group of people stopped hosting (and I for one didn't stop hosting because of money, but because of lack of venue).

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
you say "We" as if you guys and stingers are one entity... and i'd go as far to say that such a dangerous use of "We" even assimilates the melee and brawl communities (not that i wouldn't mind that, it's just not the way it is).

it's time that melee people simply step it up. no one is doing ****, and bryan is one of the (although inconsistently) hungriest4melee in this state, so he wanted to host something. if everyone was as "We" as i wanted us to be, i'm POSITIVE we could get some filled-to-the-brim cars headed out east to support his tournament... it just seems like the loudest voices are the most pessimistic ones in this state :{

i'm going to go talk to some guys today about a venue on Chapel Hill campus... if you think you have the means to host legitimate tournaments in NC, ****ing try. we have enough young blood and potential to make this state one of the most active melee scenes in the country, it just takes some goddamn group effort.

p.s. shut the **** up dr. peepee

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
if everyone was as "We" as i wanted us to be, i'm POSITIVE we could get some filled-to-the-brim cars headed out east to support his tournament... it just seems like the loudest voices are the most pessimistic ones in this state :{

it just takes some goddamn group effort.
You're talking about an IDEAL in your head that would make you positive of the success of something. It is not the collective truth of the matter. I'm sure everyone is positive of anythings success if everyone suddenly thought like them.

My opinion is not pessimistic, it's realistic. I've only been talking about solutions and making proposals on how to make things better. Wilmington, at current, is not worth the effort when we need to establish something centralized and more consistent.

Let us know how the UNC stuff works out.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Being that Wilmington is Bryan and Spoon (who retired) and Chris (who lives in Gboro), and it's obvious that it's nothing personal towards Bryan...

Yeah, **** Wilmington.

lord karn

Smash Master
What building are you hosting in? At the other ncsu's it seemed pretty easy to host them both simultaneously.

Cam, at UNC you might not want to tell them we will be playing for money. I don't think UNC likes that for some stupid reason. Also, make sure you don't get it on a football weekend, otherwise there will be nowhere to park.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
its the location of the first smash stacks.
i'd rather not overextend myself with my first real tournament tho, u feel me? the most I'd do atm is like...a project m side tourney lol

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
You're talking about an IDEAL in your head that would make you positive of the success of something. It is not the collective truth of the matter. I'm sure everyone is positive of anythings success if everyone suddenly thought like them.
no, see, this is pessimism, my dear joshua.

you discounted my proposition, not with facts, but by simply branding it as an "ideal"...because ideals never come to fruition? the EPITOME of pessimism my good sir dear sir darksyde.
(dude..... just from 'if everyone is as "We" as i wanted them to be'!?!? if you squeezed through holes that small with Falco, we'd never have to hear you john about Peach :bee:)

but it isn't just an ideal dude, it's very very possible. and the facts you would need are NOT any that you've handed out in this thread so far. you would have to prove that there's simply NO WAY in hell that 4-5 stacked as **** cars full of your friends and enemies and in between can make it to Wilmington for a smash tournament. it simply comes down to will. it's a completely different story if no one gives a ****. then yeah, money is an issue. but no one here is like BEHR (pre-summer) or smith. no one simply has 0 ****ing dollars. we can organize rides, get gas $ worked out, and spend 10 ****in bucks on singles+doubles.

and yo, i'm not saying Wilmington is the most legit place in NC to do it. it obviously isn't. i'm just saying, it isn't nearly as big of a deal as you guys are making it. i'd much sooner welcome a tourney next door to me, sure, but if it's in your state, and you ain't texas or FL or the like, then stfu and go play smash.

melee-tyze your priorities n****z.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
uncg hated that we played for money.

trust me.

I'm in a slightly more lenient dorm, but the game room isn't secluded enough for us to be loud, nor does it have the kind of space that the place i was at freshman year had, so yeah. maybe at some point i'll roll through the place ryan was talking about.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
ahhh w/e **** melee, i'm gonna just sit around and wait for something in the triangle and not travel anywhere as usual, yall suck

EDIT: DH, let's do this **** *calls Slasher K1ng*

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
seriously though, it'd be **** to know that other people still care about this game. i think we should take steps to unite this state as best as we can.

cuz we could ****

SK919

Deal with it
My tournaments will be luxurious. Imagine, after you win that MM you spend it on the club tab and dance up on some UNCW 10s Or tell your story of defeat to the local heavy weight boxing champ homeless person.

Seriously, though.. fo real. I just wana play smash yo

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
no, see, this is pessimism, my dear joshua.

you discounted my proposition, not with facts, but by simply branding it as an "ideal"...because ideals never come to fruition? the EPITOME of pessimism my good sir dear sir darksyde.

I didn't discount any proposition; there wasn't one. You just said stuff about everyone thinking the same about the community mindset, which is an ideal scenario, which is what I meant. I approved of the part when you talked about checking around UNC.

but it isn't just an ideal dude, it's very very possible. and the facts you would need are NOT any that you've handed out in this thread so far. you would have to prove that there's simply NO WAY in hell that 4-5 stacked as **** cars full of your friends and enemies and in between can make it to Wilmington for a smash tournament. it simply comes down to will. it's a completely different story if no one gives a ****. then yeah, money is an issue. but no one here is like BEHR (pre-summer) or smith. no one simply has 0 ****ing dollars. we can organize rides, get gas $ worked out, and spend 10 ****in bucks on singles+doubles.

You definitely kinda strawmanned this up. I didn't say anything about his tournament not being possible to get stacked cars to go to. I said that your idea of everyone banning together and thinking the same was an ideal scenario in your head. Definitely think you're arguing against something I didn't say.

I completely agree it comes down to will. Most players do not have this will. Money IS an issue and it keeps people from travelling. Think I'm wrong? Think of how many NC players there are that don't check SWF or come out to stuff that is close. Really think they're gonna get a random text or two and opt to stuff into cars and drive to Wilmington? Quite a few people have tantamount to that much money (I'd give example but I don't wanna call people out).

Financially, people's priorities are not Smash lately. I suggest we focus on establishing something consistent first, getting people back to interested, and then try a Wilmington venue.

and yo, i'm not saying Wilmington is the most legit place in NC to do it. it obviously isn't. i'm just saying, it isn't nearly as big of a deal as you guys are making it. i'd much sooner welcome a tourney next door to me, sure, but if it's in your state, and you ain't texas or FL or the like, then stfu and go play smash.

No one is making a big deal out of it. I thought we were having a productive discussion that would lead to hosting of some kind. No idea why logical discussion automatically equals negativity.
Responses in bold.

PS: I support DJ's inane and sanctionless method of tourney running. Mad effective.

EDIT: Can't believe DJ's TO skills remind me of his Fox somehow...

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Look at what happened during this conversation.

Bryan proposed something -> I expressed my opinion based on my tournament experience -> People took my comments as negative and disagreed-> I defended my position.

Everyone expects me to overreact whether or not I do, based on prior experience that is not really reflective of my feelings. Little I can do about that.

SK919

Deal with it
Josh is just keeping it real.

It makes sense.. I would need more rep to run a tournament that would take such effort for most of NC to attend. No one wants to car pool and organize drives to a ****ty tournament.

It might seem like an overreaction but at the end of the day it's just a realistic view of the situation. Unbias to the point opinions are usually the best anyway. He's probably picked up that way of thinking from the buisness world he's become a part of.

I'd really like to host though, I wanted to commute to host but that is just not possble.. Smash has done so much for me. It seems nuts to say something like that over a game but the experience of playing it has helped me grow up. I don't want to write a sappy long post...

I just don't want to see the game I love die.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well if you can get support for it at your school or just drive to tourneys....but both are harder than hosting(though ideally hosting helps with the first part). I mean how else does one get rep without hosting the first time? Wtf is that even....

I think your idea is fine, Slasher. I really like your intentions too. =) Maybe another time or under different circumstances it can work out better. Not that I think it can't now but rather the will of the people prevent it from being so presently.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
lucas, if you're not going to read josh's posts, just say tl;dr and move on. attacking the guy for defending his realist statements don't really help anything.

lets just go to TGM3.

and then lets all go to TO7 in october.

and lets just get better in between those dates.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
lol josh your style of debate is sucking unicorn blood

in other news, i'm hosting a tournament in my room, bring adapters.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
lucas, if you're not going to read josh's posts, just say tl;dr and move on. attacking the guy for defending his realist statements don't really help anything.
I do read his post's you ****** lol

I'm just saying

Josh put's himself on the defensive before anyone even "attacks" him so he's "forced" to respond with a very defensive post.

He decided this before he even first read Bryan's post, knowing people were gonna be like "wtf Josh"

He does this **** to himself, purposefully, knowingly

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
so, i think someone should update the 1st page of this to show the active players that play in the areas they are listed under and what game the play primarily

lord karn

Smash Master
I agree with Josh on a lot of points, but I think there is an aspect of this situation that we aren't considering. Yes Wilmington is far away, but that just makes it an adventure. That's pretty much how NC's smash community started out, and what made all the originals so close-knit. We'd have tournaments in random *** places like Rutherfordtonvilleburg and we'd have to drive really far to get to it. Yeah, the attendance might not have been as intense, but the act of traveling places with friends really does help build the community.

The Billfests continued this aesthetic by making the whole tournament weekend a fun-filled adventure. Let's be real, most of the NC community has never been too interested in improvement. We have a select few who actually care about improving, and others who love to come to tournaments for the community. But when the Billfests/Karnfests stopped, our community lost that sense of adventure and we had before. Tournaments have become so convenient that they are becoming routine, and people are now opting to just go to fests instead of tournaments.

TLDR: Going to wilmington with bros would be a pretty fun adventure.

Top Bottom