• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Naruto

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Well, if you woke up with some creepy looking guy standing over you with a weapon and he said "You are in my debt" and didn't answer what he meant by that, what would you think?
I would probably think that he had ***** me while I was unconscious and was in remission until he could get it up again. Which may take a long time, he is pretty old.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I like how they spend the first 6 pages of this chapter talking about poop.

It's a metaphor for the quality of the series as a whole.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
"What's it like being able to take a dump?"

obv meaning that the author is showing that he can take a dump on his series and people will still buy it

obv

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Rin as a spy would be interesting.

I'm really curious as to what the reason might be

:phone:

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'm sure we all are, but the #1 option that popped into my mind was that it turns out Rin was somehow being manipulated or was a Spy and so Kakashi decided to follow the mission, as disheartening and awful as it may be, which explains the tears in his eyes. I doubt it was an accident because he appears so serious-ish.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'm having a hard time believing it's a genjutsu given the fact Kakashi has tears. Then again, Rin's grave is back in the village right? So it might be a heck of an illusion done by Madara.

But you know what I hate most? At the core of it all, we're right now seeing that the manga's main enemy...is the enemy cause OF A GIRL. I hate that so much.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
But you know what I hate most? At the core of it all, we're right now seeing that the manga's main enemy...is the enemy cause OF A GIRL. I hate that so much.
You mean because it's cliche or because it's sexist?

As far as the cliche goes, there have been lots of well-written characters whose backstories have been informed by the loss of the person they loved, male and female, good and bad.

As far as sexism goes, yeah I guess it kind of is. Other that using it to kick off an anime/manga version of Women in Refrigerators, I can't really think of anything else to do about it though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How is it sexist? Anyone could turn evil because of the death of a loved one like this. It didn't specifically have to be a girl, it just was.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Some people see sexism in everything. Just like how everyone in this thread sees Aizen in everything.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I was definitely not thinking of sexism. I was definitely thinking of it being rather cliche. I don't have a problem with it if the story is executed properly. However, I would prefer if I knew this ahead of time. Reading it now, sort of makes Obito's motivations (currently) rather cheap. At this point, you could have had Sasuke and Obito reverse rolls and that would make more sense.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
well i dunno, i thought they were pretty cheap at first.

but he just witnessed his friend/rival/whatever kill rin in front of his eyes. The same person who promised to protect her.

and seemed like obito had strong feelings for rin and strong feelings against kakashi so i can see why everything would be really overwhelming for poor obito.

Thino

Smash Master
At this point of the manga, I wouldn't be surprised if Kishi was trying to wrap things up in terms of what motivated Obito in wanting to put everyone in a eternal genjutsu.

"The girl I loved died by the hand of my closest friend, reality is too harsh, let's put everyone in a genjutsu".

Sounds incredibly altruistic.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The twist at the end was pretty interesting. But the reason for what happen could still make or break things. I don't want something lame for what Kakashi did.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I was definitely not thinking of sexism. I was definitely thinking of it being rather cliche.
Oh ok. I thought you were kind of emphasizing the fact that it was a woman's fault in your post and I thought you were going towards something like "this series thinks women are the cause of all problems" or something. My mistake.

Reading it now, sort of makes Obito's motivations (currently) rather cheap. At this point, you could have had Sasuke and Obito reverse rolls and that would make more sense.
Obito never had a clear motivation for turning evil before this but now he does. It's cliched but it's at least something. He seems like the kind of person who would only be swayed by someone close to him dying anyway.

I do see the parallel with Sasuke, but I think that's intentional. Team Minato and Team Kakashi were always meant to be parallels of eachother. Look at the structure of both of them - they both are taught by a talented ninja who is extremely well-respected by his peers and they both consist of a spiky-haired goofball who isn't as talented as the other two, a bishonen kid who is all serious business due to some personal tragedy, and a girl medic who doesn't really do anything important aside from be a point of conflict between the two boys. I think that now Kishimoto is kind of using Team Minato as a worst-case scenario for Team Kakashi - The original leader and one of the members is dead and the other member is evil. Similar things are happening right now with Team Kakashi - The leader died once (comic book manga death lol), one of the members is evil (I think Sasuke's still evil at least, we haven't cut to him in a while though so idk), and the ninja world is finally at war which also puts Sakura's life in jeopardy. The only difference here is which member went evil and why. Presumably Kishimoto will introduce a next generation of ninjas at some point where the useless girl character becomes evil after the bishonen dies.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't know if any of you guys follow Reborn, but I was amused at the latest chapter because it reminded me of what was said in this thread.
The guy behind the mask was
the ramen guy in Reborn lol
So you guys were kinda close.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Going back through some old chapters, it seems I underestimated Kakashi's age during Tobi's release of the Kyuubi in Konoha. However, the body size has yet to match but there's just too much evidence leading to Obito having been Tobi to defeat the Fourth - Madara's severe condition, the use of various Zetsuu bodies, etc.

Top Bottom