• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Naruto

Gaara♥

Smash Master
its cause Sasuke is like.... god or something and naruto is the underdog. Also sasuke just has issues and he is annoying..... and he likes men

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
If i were to start reading the manga. Where would I start? I'm wondering where the anime is in the manga

Gaara♥

Smash Master
the anime is where sasuke just got jacked by the 5 kages and madara saved him and declared war on everything

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I personally don't see all the hate towards Sasgay. I like him a hell of alot more than Naruto.
I really just can't stand how insubstantial his motives are.
And I mean... they're there, and they bring him to extremes. They're just shallow as ****

And he's irritating weeaboo yaoi fodder :p :p

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I really just can't stand how insubstantial his motives are.
And I mean... they're there, and they bring him to extremes. They're just shallow as ****

And he's irritating weeaboo yaoi fodder :p :p
I dunno, having your entire family killed would probably make me do those things too. But you know, it's just everyone you ever loved, no big deal right?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Still doesn't make sense how easily he was manipulated into believing Konoha is responsible when the dude who helped kill the entire Uchiha clan is the person you're working with -_-.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I dunno, having your entire family killed would probably make me do those things too. But you know, it's just everyone you ever loved, no big deal right?
Let me rephrase then:

It's just how static a character he is. Concerning Naruto, there has been a lot of development of his character regarding maturity and not to mention a little philosophy being practiced when he fought Pain. He's a different person than he was.
Sasuke from day one has been emohate emohate emohate and it's irritating because I can't expect anything from him. Extremity of his motives aside, he's shallow because he shows no room for improvement as a character (besides fighting power, which is a given).

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
does sasuke know that though?

anyway

chouji getting off man. he makes shikamaru and ino look like fodder. tho shikamaru did defeat an akatsuki using his little shadows

i wanna see more of ino's skills

i guess controlling two people is pretty cool

but her dad can control bodies without even putting himself to sleep, and he is the intel master for the entire army. step it up ino.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
So Chouji just went beast mode, that was epic.

Also Sasuke is smart, he knows what madara told him was probably the truth.

Even though it seems like he is the one being manipulated, it is usually him who is manipulating those around him for his own gain.

His latest gain was Itachi's eyes.

Also saying that Sasuke has been the same from day 1 is stupid, so has Naruto.

He is still a goofball, he is just better at fighting now.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Also saying that Sasuke has been the same from day 1 is stupid, so has Naruto.
Despite a relatively goofy demeanor, Naruto's view of the world and ability to make thoughtful decisions has changed considerably since he started. This makes for a protagonist that's interesting to see in the spotlight (it would be nigh impossible to have a successful series and not have your protagonist advance in these ways).
The only significant improvement Sasuke has made is in control of power. Besides that, where has there been any major deviation from his detatched, merciless, emo self? Revenge has always been, and will always be, a shallow motivation.

btw, I only perpetuate this argument because there are very few threads in this sub-forum with any depth :p

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Not to start anything, but all the Naruto characters develop in a cliche way. They grow how you would expect them to grow and there's really nothing special about any one character I've seen.

My perspective of this show is that it entertains me through fight scenes. In a show of this type, I usually am drawn to those who grow in power rather than grow in character.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
That's essentially true. It's really hard to have a truly unique archetype, which seems especially true for series geared toward young adults.

Character is important to me because, of all the fights, there are too few involving characters I care about *coughchoujicough*. I like when Sasuke fights, I just don't like Sasuke.

Kakashi on the other hand...

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I dislike it when people rip on archetypes, saying that 'he's a typical shounen protagonist' like it's a bad thing. It isn't. If you do it well, you see exactly why it's an archetype. Moments like
Naruto standing up to Kabuto beating up Tsunade and stealing Sakura away just as she's about to be killed
are why I read manga in the first place. I'm fine with Naruto being as he is - trying to be edgy and 'out-there' with main characters kills a lot of manga.

too much depth :|, i liked it better when we were making bad pokemon puns and ripping on basically every little bad thing about the manga (there haven't been many recently, which is cool)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm fine with cliches being used. As you said, if executed right, then awesome. However, good originality takes the cake anyday. In this day and age, it can be hard sometimes to be original.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
blah blah blah blah blah Kisame vs Killerbee in the anime looks weird so far but im expecting great things

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm fine with cliches being used. As you said, if executed right, then awesome. However, good originality takes the cake anyday. In this day and age, it can be hard sometimes to be original.
To paraphrase Ecclesiastes:

"Every man has a soul under his belt."

Meaning everything comes from something. No idea is ever truly original; it's the execution of the idea that really makes it unique.

That said, I'll rip on standard fare shounen-esque protagonists all the live long day. :p

Smooth Criminal

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Inspiration always comes from something. Nobody just sits in their chair and gets a eureka moment. With that being said, mixing and meshing is still hard to do to create an original product. Look at the Nintendo Wii. First console to implement motion controls successfully. I'm sure ideas have been bounced around before, and such technology existed in other fields, but to properly execute it into a gaming console is still original in my eyes.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
...did Rock Lee seriously attack someone with his ****?

Springtime of Youth is the best series ever.

Top Bottom