• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My essay as to why I think clones are necessary for future Smash Bros. insallments...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I picked it up at some store somewhere, I played it, unlocked all the characters, than put if off for 2 years.
When I found it again, I played it nonstop for awhile, then I accidentally borke the disc. Got a new one a few months laster soon.
In 2005 I discovered the Advanced techs, in 2006 is started taking the game seriously. I join SWF in 2007, as you see.
I suck so much at Melee though, that I moved onto Brawl in hopes of catching up with the competitive game and being a decent player.

Man, its been a long time.

Tails and Sonic

Smash Rookie
For me, the orignal Smash 64 was prety much my 2nd or 3rd Nintendo 64 game that I got at the time. Then I've only known about it by seeing it at the video store and renting it not to long after it came out. Since renting it at the time, I had some of my allowance saved up and made sure I got the same. Since then the rest is history. I wasn't that good at the time due to the controls being different from other fighting games, but I was able to adjust to it after playing for a while.

Anyways, I got melee several months after getting my gamecube, and for Brawl, that was the first game I got when I bought my Wii. XD Anyways, several of my closest friends play the Smash bros games as well so sometimes Melee/ Brawl is almost all we play whenever we got together.

Zylar

Smash Ace
I thought that smiley was something else... must me my sick mind. Anyways, Mewtwo had a really big part in me getting melee too. He was like a combination on Dragonball Z and Pokemon (both shows were popular at the time I think, I can't remember). It was perfect. I sucked with him though and just ended up playing multiple characters
D.I.S.T.U.R.B.I.N.G ...

I'm going to fix it.

Anywho. Mewtwo and Pikachu were my reasons for getting it. In fact, Meele was the reason I got a Gamecube. (I was so happy over ONE game. :D )

Fletch

Smash Master
I remember getting the original Smash64 and just simply running around with Pikachu and spamming his down-B. This was good enough to be the best out of all my friends. Then I picked up Melee in college, and thought Mewtwo was beyond broken. After finding some players that could actually beat me, I stumbled upon this site, and found out what a huge n00b I really was. I picked up Marth and Peach (two characters that were easy to play at that level and own with) and became the best out of my friends again. After having a roommate surpass me, I finally caved and started playing Fox near exclusively, and became really good with him. Haven't been able to play enough lately to keep my Fox in top shape, but I do play around half the cast in Melee and have now picked up SSB64 as a competitive game (Kirby main for now, still a n00b haha).

I really wish Brawl could have been a better game, but I expect there will be another Smash Bros. game some time in the future (hopefully not after another 7 year wait) that will hopefully redeem the series. Long live Smash.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Well, my first Smash game was Melee. And... I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THERE WAS A SMASH 64 AT THE TIME. Yes, sad.

/wrists

So I got Melee for my birthday about 5 or 6 years ago, and I sucked terribly. Hell, Fox went from being my worst character, to my Melee main once I knew all about the advanced techs and how to do them, based off Wak's 3-part tutorial. So I got way better over the years, but not even going to a single tourney. But my friends couldn't touch me.

Then I moved on to Smash 64 on an emulator, which is actually backtracking, but whatever.
I'm fairly good with Ness, there's not much to say because in a month, this newer game was coming out and it's supposed to be the greatest Wii game of all time.

So, Brawl. In my first match I played as Ike. Ike and Olimar seemed to interest me for mainage. But then "Oh, Snake and MetaKnight are broken? Woah, TIER LIST?! Holy ****, already?! Wait... Captain Falcon is the lowest...? Hmm... I'll see what I can do."

*is now known for always connecting with falcon punches and knees* No, really. People have called my Falcon, and I quote:

And I haven't even gone to a tourney yet. *shows off*

tsu-money

Smash Cadet
Two words: Nintendo Power. When they did a story on SSB for the N64, I read that story 10 times over to make sure what I was seeing wasn't a fake. Nintendo characters? Beating the crap out of each other? Sign me up! From there, my brothers and my best friends kept playing that game non-stop. The rest is history.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
One day after talking to the sun god Leto, I decided to play on the Gamecube, have a nice time with some random game...
I looked in the box that I kept all of my games, and for some reason, there was a metal hatch on the bottom of the box it was about the size of a playing card, I tried picking up the box, but it did not budge. Confused, I decided to open the little hatch. Once opened there was a void of black and purple twisting like a whirlpool to a center of pure darkness... I stretched my arm in bewilderment, curiosity getting the better of me. Then out of nowhere a sudden pain coursed through my arm finally settling to my head... I blacked out...

I awoke not knowing how long I've been out. Putting on my glasses I sat up in a strange room... All white, with a T.V., GameCube with a controller, and a soft looking chair... I stood up and looked around. Now, I will be honest I was scared, not knowing what happened or where I was, the sight of the T.V. was the only thing that made me feel that at least I wasn't too far from Humanity... Oh... How wrong I was...

Looking into the T.V. I noted a meek utterance.
"Are you ready", the voice muttered. Somehow I knew this voice, though I am sure I never really heard it before. "I overheard your conversation with Leto...", as the voice illuminated through the room and my mind a faint bundle of pixeled images with a portrait of a mans face grew from the once white screen. "I heard that you are bored with your GameCube games, all of them being... What did you say? Oh... Right, 'BORING!?!?!'", While the voice became more stentorian the picture of the man grew to fit the T.V. screen, but it looked enraged and thirsty for violence... Perhaps a soul...
Now that I know the face, it was Masahiro Sakaurai... But he looked like a demon.

"It seems that you are not pleased with my products, ment to steal your money and soul and make you my fanboy slav... I mean entertain you. Why, what did I not do correctly." He bellowed in a distorted tone.
"Sir", I said politly yet confident," It isn't that the games are bad, but they are the same thing... Mario, Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid. They are all great but I wish that there could be something new".
I saw the image smile in a impish way. "Hmm, so you wish for a better game, mmmm? Fine I will grant you this wish, but first you must defeat me in a battle." As Sakarai spoke the voice seemed to fade and echo.
The room darkend to pick black. Then a flash of red ignited the room, causing everything to look as it was soaked with blood.

In the distance I could see Sakarai running with a halo of fireballs and attached to his arm the gun that Samus used...
The only thing that went through my mind was "Oh... F**K"...
In a flash it seemed that Sakaurai warped towards me in a illusion of speed.
Bam! He bashed me with his mechanical arm, I went sliding back. It was then I noticed that the room became a stage of some sort, All around it a vortex of space, it changed to a forest and also to what looked like inside of a computer. It was at that time I noticed that I had a sword on my right. enscripted on the hilt was, 'Falcion'. When I looked up Sakaurai was running towards me. I swung the sword that hit him, there was a shockwave that emitted through the sword, and the tip glowed a white light... "Tipper", I thought.
With new confidence I rushed towards him, jumped and sliced virtically, once, twice three times...
Sakaurai was then thrown off the stage. I acted quickly before he recovered form the stun of being hit.
I jumped high and with a final slash horizontily below me, I sent him to what ever pit of hell awaited him below...
Out of breath I collapsed and once again blacked out.
I awoke a while later on my family room couch. I sat up and looked at my hands... Wondering... Was it just a dream. I looked up and saw on the coffee table a Gamecube game box. I picked it up, and read the title...
"Super... Smash... Bros...", I wispered after.
"Congragulations you defeated me... Now as I promised... Here is the gift for you and many others..."
I then knew that it hadn't been a dream it actually happend. I picked up the box and started playing......

That is how I started playing....

But seriously: I went over my friends house one day and they were playing Melee. So then I got addicted.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I think we all bought the original Smash Bros just because we saw all of our favourite characters on the cover. And the commercial for it was just awesome.

Me and my friends played Smash 64 from it's release on and off until Melee was released. Melee on the other hand...same deal, except there was no "on and off". And we still play Melee today, alongside Brawl.

Smash Bros is too good.

Tennet

Smash Champion
I played Melee at school then at my friend's house then found this then played with friends and now we play brawl together...kinda...

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'll be honest, I got SSB64 when it was relatively new...I had never heard of it, and I only owned two racing games for my N64.

Of course, I recognized Mario. And Pikachu. But that alone was enough to get my interest. When I started playing, I got into it really fast. Smash 64 was as addicting to me as Metroid Prime.

When I played Smash 64, it didn't just make me wait for the sequel. Next thing I knew, I was renting out Super Mario 64, Yoshi's Story, F-Zero X, Pokemon Stadium, Starfox 64, Ocarina of Time, Kirby 64...

I wanted to get involved in the games I was lightly experiencing in smash. Of course, I DID wait eagerly for Melee, and waited again with Brawl. Marked my calendar, and didn't even get phased by delays. I would just mark it AGAIN.

:laugh: Smash has made me the kind of person who has hopes for the sequel, hopes for INCLUSIONS, but doesn't care if they all get in as long as it's still smash. =P

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I vaguely remember playing SSB at a party once when I was about 6 or 7. I can barely remember it, but I'm pretty sure I picked pikachu because I was a giant pokemon fan. I also remember playing on Saffron if I recall correctly.The 'bigger' kids didn't tell me how to play so I just jammed buttons, I don't remember the outcome but I had some fun. I never knew what the game was called and I didn't really care about it since I didn't own a nintendo 64.

Going about 3-4 years back. Again at another party we went to. My friend Marco said he was bored so we went downstairs and popped in his copy of melee. Oh man did I go to town. I had a feeling I playing something similar before but I shook it off and played. I remember thinking Kirby was so amazing because he could absorb his opponents and we would always play with ton of items and such.

Fast-forward to December 2007. I was on a forums and they were talking about this wii title coming out called Super Smashs Bro. Brawl. I was like cool. I guess I try it when it comes out. I only hopped on the brawl bandwagon a month later when I learned more about it and watched some pro melee videos. I was blown away. I was obsessed with watching the dojo for months in pain dieing to play it. It finally came out last March and I still haven't stopped playing.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I can't remember which happened first, I saw it in Expert Gamer (now EGM I believe) or I saw the commercials. Nonetheless, the big turn on for me was playing as Fox. I borrowed my friend's copy until I got my own after I had my arm cast removed.

I have to thank the series for introducing me to Metroid and MOTHER, two of my most favorite series. The other characters I knew, except for possibly Kirby since I had never played a Kirby game, but I knew who he was.

Raym

Smash Apprentice
In 2004 i watched some classmates playing Melee with Items and Coins in Hyrule Temple and i thinked the game was crap. So i didn't tried to play it.

In 2006 i went with my friends to the arcades were they had Melee for play. I played a 2vs2 without items in Fountain and i remember i choosed Link and the only attack i knowed was UP-B

Then i started playing Smash 64 in a emulator and i learned how to play. My favourite Character was the almighty 64 Pikachu. I played with friends online and started to become better.

In 2007 i with my friends went almost all the days afterscool to the arcades to play Melee.
We played in 3 ffa(w/o items and almost all matches in FD) but i becomed the best of the three and i started playing versus my tourneylevel friends and even though i never becomed better than them i slowly started to become better and i started to win matches vs them more and more.

In 2008 i buyed Brawl first day and i played the game until my Wii started to have problems with the lens. When my Wii got repaired i played again until i got bored of playing only with CPUs :urg:

Later i find about Brawl+ and started playing it.

Tomorrow i will receive as a gift a conector for the Wii so i can play online Brawl.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I played at a friend's house with his big brother shortly after its release. I was a humongous Pokemon fan at the time (I guess I still am, but I'm not a Poke-nut anymore) and I wanted to be Pikachu since he was a Pokemon, but his big brother picked him, and I didn't want doubles to I just picked Jigglypuff and tried to get the hang of the game. I distinctly remember the first match in Saffron City....a 3 minute game with Pikachu, DK, and Jigglypuff.

The first item I ever saw was the Beam Sword, and I instantly loved it. I lost that first game (Pikachu won), and my friend who was DK/Samus wasn't that good either. After that, I'd always go over to my best friend's house to play it, vowing to be able to beat my other friend's big brother. I hated Jigglypuff, so I chose Link and things began from there. My friend mained Kirby, and he was much faster, so I was at a disadvantage most of the time.

I learned to curve the boomerang by accident, and I learned bomb-trapping techniques and projectile combos. Soon I was a nightmare against Kirbys. At this time, I decided that I should have backup characters. I moved on to use Ness. However, I didn't like his floatiness, so I stopped using him after I played a 2 on 1 game against two of my other friends (Yoshi and Kirby). I nearly won, but for some reason I decided Ness wasn't the secondary character for me.

I picked up Captain Falcon a while after and it was absolutely perfect. Main: Link, Secondary: Captain Falcon. Ever since the original, I've never liked using floaty characters. Two or three years after, I was unbeatable at the original. I could read attacks, set up elaborate bomb combos, predict enemy movement, use my boomerangs to trap opponents, and rolling around me was often a grievous mistake on my opponents' parts. I was a very defensive player who could punish mistakes with relentless barrages of projectiles and a flurry of sword attacks.

Around five years after the release, I was a god in the game. I'd beat three level 9 computers easily, perfect two at once, and just playing against one computer was way too simple. I'd even be going against three-man teams and win (although I'd usually be at high damage on my last life). Bob-ombs, Beam Swords, and Motion Sensor Mines were my weapons of choice, and I was undeniably accurate with any thrown item or fired projectile. I could hit Pikachu consistently in the middle of his recovery via pure prediction with a bomb from the other side of Sector Z. I also perfected my comboing ability with Captain Falcon, although nobody was even close to my Link. I also got my own copy of the game, so I didn't have to borrow my best friend's all the time.

In College, I picked up Melee and tried it out. It was VERY different and I didn't like it because everyone fell so fast and there was so much hitstun on everything. Airdodging also seemed to be something very risky and quite stupid since people fell to death after one dodge. The physics and feel were also different. The only thing I liked about Melee was Roy (and the stage Fourside), because he felt like Link from the N64, his falling speed and jumping and all. I also despised Melee because the roster was so imbalanced. People ridiculed me for using Roy, but I still beat them. I also hated all the teching people did, since the way I played in N64, I saw that learning the basics and mastering them all thoroughly (And using your reflexes) was enough for me to beat any foe. I didn't need any of this wave dashing and cancelling crap. I also almost never edge guarded, because that allowed me to get good at the game faster and my game is pretty grounded anyway. Also, since I played the N64 Smash and never needed to use the internet to look up tricks or anything, it seemed unnecessary.

Then now, in my second year, I settled into Brawl pretty nicely and abandoned Melee because it is more similar to the N64 Smash. I am glad Link's recovery has improved a bit, but I am also sad that Roy is gone.

D

Deleted member

I think I rented it at some point for my N64, or my sister did, and I found it extremely fun. I sucked, of course [I was 6-8], but the gameplay was refreshing and different - I hadn't played many fighting games up to this point aside from some demos for Tekken 2 and Bloody Roar.

Eventually, I or my sister bought a copy and I played it obsessively, popping in my N64 over my PS1 some days just to play it. When Melee released for the GameCube, that may have been when I decided I wanted one as well as my PS2. I also got a crappy Wrestlemania fighting game at the same time, which sucked and I returned it for another game, which may have been Super Mario Sunshine or Mario Party #. I played Melee even more than SSB, but I still sucked until the beginning of last year when I found this place. My favourite character was by far Ganondorf and I figured that he was a clone of CF somewhere down the line, as well as other characters.

I used to create random sci-fi stories using each character's different colours, drawing planets that 'exploded' on my notepad and having epic battles using the CPU... this isn't as fun in Brawl for numerous reasons, lol. I'm not in the experience of a tournament (yet), but I can beat my friends quite easily - that's not important, though.

Then Brawl came out this year and I have stopped playing Super Smash Bros. as regularly as I used to. Even with all my video game consoles plugged in at all times, I just don't get the same joy out of Brawl as I did Melee and SSB. It may have something to do with my favourite characters being nerfed [Ganondorf + Jigglypuff].

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I remember seeing a small blurb about it in Nintendo Power. Basically it was in the "coming soon" section near the back and it showed a picture of Mario and Fox (my two favorite video game characters at the time) fighting and I thought, "this can't be real; there's no way that they'd bring an idea this awesome to life." Even at that time, I was a huge Nintendo fanboy and loved everything about the company so this news was just too much and, with that being said, I thought it was a rumor or hoax until it actually came out. I played it at a friend's house for like 6 hours and then borrowed it and then went home and played it for another 6 hours right afterwords. :laugh: Looking back, I don't think I ate that day; I enjoyed playing the game that much.

To this day, Smash Bros is still my favorite franchise because it combines everything (and just about everyone) I love about Nintendo. I appreciate the series because it has introduced me to a lot of others and has motivated me to seek out games that I probably wouldn't have played otherwise like Earthbound, Drill Dozer, Sin and Punishment, Golden Sun, Ice Climber, and Kid Icarus (all of which are fantastic games, by the way) simply because of their obscurity and how easily they fell under the radar. I'm 21 now but I hope I'm not too much older when the next installment comes out and I can pratically guarentee that I'll still be around here when it does.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
well i remember at this one kids b-day party i only knew about half of the chars (mario, luigi, pikachu, link, ness, dk) so i decided to try them all out and i really liked pikachu and link (it was a tie between pikachu and link) then melee came out and i was bummed that pikachu felt unplayable compared to the original but link sure didnt :)

now ness is one of my mains and i cant stand the other 2 go figure

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
My family was in a Hollywood Video and my younger bros and I noticed this new game with Nintendo characters fighting - I instantly knew it was a perfect idea and would be a favorite for many years. The rest is history...

Son1x-

Smash Apprentice
My friend has a GC and SSBM. One day we (me, him and 2 other class mates) played it... for few hours. Next few days was pretty much the same. I didn't know a lot about Nintendo franchises in those days, only ones I knew were Mario, Luigi, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Peach, Bowser and Yoshi. Pretty much Mario + Pokemon and Kirby. I've heard about the Zelda as series but didn't know anything about characters.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I saw it in what use to be the ONLY game store in this area...

On the screen, the most awesome thing I've ever seen.

It was Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby battling each other in Saffron (Is that the big one?) City!

I asked the clerk what it was, and I had found Smash Bros.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Yay Chrono!

I knew of Super Smash Bros. thanks to a friend, he showed it to me, and then he showed me the commercial.

I cracked up, and began playing with Mario. The game was very good!

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I first heard about it in that Nintendo Power Magazine. I spent hours every night reading those 5 pages about Smash Bros, trying to figure out what characters I would use. Based on the magazine's description, I decided Mario and Yoshi would be the best... after a little gameplay I switched to Samus and Kirby.

I didn't even have a Nintendo 64, but my friend did and was getting the game on the release date for his birthday, so I knew I'd play it.

smash superstar

Smash Ace
I remember when I first heard of the game in tips or tricks magazine 0_o

I seen screen shots of kirby fighting mario and i knew this was a game I must keep my eye out for....I was young and did not have a stable internet connection so I was very limited on following the game.

Anyhow probably around 4 to 5 months after the game came out I bought it for my self and enjoyed it very very much.

and now look at where I am...I still play even the original game to this day for fun. =)

Osi

Smash Ace
I saw this awesome commercial for smash with live action mascots hitting each other... yea I was hooked lol

Martel Hammer

Smash Apprentice
One fateful day years ago, we were at a friend's house for a party. Nothing special, just some food and fun. Then on the TV screen I spot a game the likes I had never seen before. Interesting, a fighting game...with percents?!! It looked really fun, so I opted to join in the game. From that moment on I was hooked (it was Melee). I also remember my first character being...Ice Climbers! Hey, there's two of them! They look like fun! (I don't play them much anymore)

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
My cousin brought over his N64 and I first started playing SSB...the only buttons I knew to use were the c and b button lol.
Ahhh those were the times when I thought Pikachu's blue hat was an extension to his hitbox and when I thought Ness was Arabian because of his hilarious accent xP

Kirbichu

Smash Apprentice
I think I was walking in K-Mart and I saw a giant banner for Melee, although I never got it... One, I was seven and it was rated T. Two, I didn't have a GameCube, I had a PS2. Three, I didn't even know what it was, I only knew that Mario was in it. *six years pass* So, I'm browsing podcasts on iTunes for no reason when I came across something called "Show Me Your News." I was hooked, even if I didn't know what everyone was talking about. I heard Youko talk about a "Smash Wiki," so I looked at it. I became even more of a fan. I made the Dojo my homepage. Then I stumbled across the dark art of emulation. I downloaded Smash 64, and I became even more of a fan of the series. I started delving into the character's series, I watched competitive vids on YouTube, I started watching CCD's "History of Melee" series. I loved it all. And then Brawl came out, and the rest is history...
I still never played Melee

Atria

Smash Journeyman
The first time I actually saw the game was at a video retailer. I looked at it and I was like "Hmmm... this game looks VERY perplexing and confusing." Luckily though, my younger brother literally pulled my dad to show him the game and we hired it for a week. Anyway, I looked through the instruction booklet and I saw Yoshi in it then I was like "Okay, I guess I'll give it a try..." I was immediately hooked into the game after I beat classic mode and that I had already unlocked my first character. However, I turned my attention more to Kirby after I tried out all of the characters. I just kept spamming Yoshi's Down B move and his smash attacks WAAAAY too much. With Kirby, I felt like that I could handle him easier compared to Yoshi too.

Zeruda

Smash Cadet
I remember the commercial for it right before it came out. That sold me. My brother and I played it and were instantly hooked. We got our cousins to play with us, so they went out and bought it as well. Eventually, it became a big event for our family- on holidays when everybody is gathered, the entire family plays SSB. It's really awesome. <3

Twista

Smash Rookie
well the first time i played it at my friends house i was like, "wtf are the percentages were?". i was so confused at first. its really fun if u have people to play with but not when u are alone. i hate playing with computers! characters! then came SSBB and BOOM!!

Atria

Smash Journeyman
its really fun if u have people to play with but not when u are alone. i hate playing with computers!
I couldn't agree with this person more! You definitely need to have other people to play with if you want to get the most fun out of it. Computers do suck in terms of entertainment, randomness (AKA, mindgames, tricks etc.) and difficulty level to beat them. (No one mention to me about Lv. 9 computers. They suck too!)

K64

Smash Apprentice
10 years ago, my sitter's cousin came over with his PS1, N64, etc. We plug the N64 in and play Smash. This is when I was introduced to Kirby and liked him since. Heh heh heh.....

Top Bottom