• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Band name / Artist: Anberlin
Genre: Alternative rock
Other notes: I wasn't really aware of this band for the longest time, I had heard my brother play two of their more "mainstream" songs a lot, and I liked it. So out of curiosity, I looked up the lyrics and I found this band. I started only listening to those two songs my brother had, but then I started branching out and listening to all their other stuff, and I loved it. Easily one of my favorite bands. (2002-present)

Band name / Artist: Cipes and the People
Genre: Reggae, Pop, Rock
Other notes: The lead singer (Greg Cipes) is actually one of my biggest inspirations / idols, and it took my by complete surprise to find out he actually has a band. His songs vary a lot in genre, as I have listed above. (2007-present)

Band name / Artist: Lucky Boys Confusion
Genre: Rock, punk, ska, hiphop
Other notes: A good friend of mine introduced me to this band back when we were maybe 13 after a good friend of his introduced him, who was introduced by his older brother. I have loved them ever since he showed me. (1997-present)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hey guys, I need some recommendations, so here me out.

I've been listening to the same playlist of songs for my gym and pre-basketball games. I think it's about time I added a few more tracks. Songs I like should have a good beat and flow, a vibe of "seriousness" and "the will to win" or simply give a good imagery of competitive sports related. Here are some examples of songs I listen to on my playlist.

Busta Rhymes ft Linkin Park - We Made It
Kanye West - Amazing

Fort Minor - Remember The Name

Just Blaze - United We Rise

Just Blaze - Whatever It Takes

I don't have many rock songs on my list, but any are welcome.

Bobwama

Smash Rookie
Random Recommends:
Shoe (They're a Tasmanian band, hard to get a hold of their music, but it's got a really nice alternative pop punk feel)
Mad Rad/Fresh Espresso (Party-Hop groups, share an MC. Reallyyy reallyyyy nice stuff)
Bikini (Electro-groove, also great)
Martingale (Softish rock, but not the sort you're used to)
Steel Train (Amazing rock. Just incredible. If there's one band you should check out, this is it)

Staz

Smash Lord
Band name/Artist: LIGHTS
Genre: Electronic
Other Notes: well other than the fact that she's amazingly attractive, she has a great voice I saw her LIVE in concert and that's when I first heard her.
here's one of my favorite songs from her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TGbIAban14

Band name/Artist: Owl City
Album: All Things Bright And Beautiful
Genre:Electronic
Other Notes:*put's flame shield* Such an imaganitive man, I've heard alot of people don't like his music and they say that all of his song sound alike, but I think otherwise, I think he gets really creative. his lyrics are sometimes confusing and rarely make sense but the electronic backround goes great with them, He hasn't been famous for that long, just for a few years and is on tour for his new album "All Things Bright and Beautiful" it just came out last week. I really like it, For sure one of my favorite artists alot of people bash on him sometimes but I can understand why, but overall It's just personal opinion.
Here's one of his songs that I like...ALOT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJePPXLVFlU

Those two artist are probably My Favorite. They sometimes work together making songs together. I guess I am more on the electronic genre. I have many many more artists/bands that I like/love but I am too lazy to post them all.

It'd be awesome if you guys listen to the songs I posted and would like to hear your guy's response

LONG LIVE MUSIC

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'm not really sure what I'm looking for right now, just that I am.

I listen to:

Yuki kajiura/fiction junction/kalafina/see-saw
Seventh wonder
Machinae supremacy
Lost horizon
Bone thugs n harmony
Tonedeff
Sole
Various freeform hardcore stuffs.

I know a lot about prog and power metal but most of it is awful or I just don't listen to it right now.

I guess right now I'm looking for more freeform hardcore and to be introduced to instrumental jazz and classical. I'm not sure what type of classical I'm looking for just yet but as close as it can get to yuki kajiuras works the better.

:phone:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yuji Kajiura reminds me a little bit of Claude Debussy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfSBddhFvyA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZJ3rNb4xM&feature=related

In my experience, most "real" classical musicians (I only use that indicator to distinguish composers from the 1940s and back) tend to have a more complex and lavish style compared to the more minimalist soundtrack type composing that Kajiura and other modern composers usually do.

you might be familiar with this, but the guy who composes the music for the anime Elfen Lied is really good. I don't watch any anime but the main theme to that one makes me cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV6eDvgiG4

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I will check those links out tonight.

Also I couldn't stand the elfen lied anime so I'm not familiar with the music.

:phone:

Delaro

Smash Cadet
I listen to any kind of music and lately there's one band that made me particulary happy !

Ground Up Sounds
Rap
Best songs: Late Night Special, Fast Enough, On My Way and a lot of other songs and the best part is that ALL their song are FREE you can get them on their site (simply google Ground Up Sounds) or on their facebook page :)

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, I figure there might be something I've heard of that's not common, so here goes:

Band: Silversun Pickups
Genre: Indie Rock
Other: These guys are from L.A., and their first breakout single is called "Lazy Eye." You might've heard it on the radio and thought it was kinda good, but didn't delve farther. "Panic Switch" is another song that they are really known for, and that one has put them "on the map," so to speak.
Recommended Songs: I would check out their first album, Carnavas, to be honest. If you like that, then go on to their next album, called Swoon. But if you want quick songs, you've got: Lazy Eye, Well Thought Out Twinkles, Three Seed (a lot of people like this one), Panic Switch, Sort Of, The Royal We, Substitution. Enjoy!

Band: Kalpana
Genre: Instrumental (Indie, I guess? I'm not actually sure)
Other: It's actually rather difficult to find things about these guys, but I found a disk of theirs in the archives of a college radio station I worked at, and found them to be quite good. The album was called "Hors de Combat." They've got a nice, guitar heavy sound to them, rarely cluttered by vocals. They are sort of like Mogwai, if you've heard of them. I recommend "Save Me, You Can't Save Me," and "We Have Illegal Weapons."

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Animal Collective, for the soul searcher who likes bands who are not in it for the money.
They are amazing.
As a fan of a lot of the Elephant 6 Recording Company's stuff, I haven't been able to get into these guys for some reason. Would you recommend any specific album of theirs to start with?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I like a handful of Animal Collective songs. The rest of it is annoying as hell.
Zook, maybe try and start with these songs

Derek
Summertime Clothes
Bluish
Winter Wonderland
Brothersport

those are all from Strawberry Jam and Merriweather Post PAvillion. I like Strawberry Jam as a whole more than MPP, but most people seem to consider MPP their best.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Composer: Gustav Mahler
Works: Symphonies 1-9
Performers: One of my favorites are Rafael Kubelik and the Bavarian Symphony Orchestra, though there are plenty out there.

Some of the greatest works ever written, in my opinion. Very heavy for Classical music. His 8th Symphony (of a thousand) is just sooooo deep. So very very good. The fourth movement of his 5th symphony is probably the most beautiful piece ever written.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm looking for Electro House music that's NOT Deadmau5. Any suggestions?
Umm could you be more specific? House music is insanely broad a genre. Do you want more artists that sound like Deadmau5? I think he is generally classified as progressive house or maybe complextro...anyways here is some bands in order of who you should check out first and some you surely have heard before

Daft Punk
Porter Robinson
Birdy Nam Nam
Skrillex
Wolfgang Gartner
Justice
Breakbot
Klaypex
Sebastian

Gangofthieves

Smash Rookie
Song about Smash

Wombo Combo by The Gang of Thieves. Funky Rock and Roll!!! You can find it on Youtube or our website; thegangofthieves.com

NegativeZero

Smash Rookie
I like J-Pop artist Junko Iwao.

Whether using a child-like or mature voice in singing, there always seems to be a nurturing/soothing feel. She first caught my eye in Cardcaptor Sakura and later in Key The Metal Idol. She made an album of nothing but Bossa Nova style remixes of songs from anime that she or other people performed in the past. She also made another with guitar based remixes.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

THE PIZZA KIDS

Album: We Like Pizza

German child dance band Pizza Kids' debut album, We Like Pizza is a beautiful, timeless album. The lyrics are quite impressive for such young artists ("I like pizza, pepperoni / Mozzarella and anchovy / I like pizza with salami / Extra cheese and oregano / I like pizza with tomato / ... / I like pizza... / ...), and the actual music is incredibly catchy. Best of all, each track is just a different version of their best song, We Like Pizza, so you aren't stuck with a few crappy songs here and there. If you don't yet own this album, I highly recommend it. Buy it on iTunes for $3!

PF9

Smash Lord
Alice in Chains is a good band. I prefer their early material, before drugs took Layne Staley's life.

WorkingClassHero

Smash Rookie
Looking for music that has piano.

Not all piano, but mostly like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcTlbi-dCjI
Kinda rock with piano rhythm underneath.
I love you for liking Crash Kings.

Something Corporate and Jack's Mannequin come to mind instantly when I think of pop-rock with piano (think more of It's Only Wednesday by Crash Kings, not as edgy, but melodic). Also, Relient K and fun. like to incorporate piano in their songs sometimes. I don't think any of them are as edgy as the Crash Kings though.

Oh and Augustana is there if you like folky roots-rockish piano-driven stuff.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Anybody know some CLEAN dance music? Like the kind you hear in dance clubs... (like Dance Again by Jennifer Lopez type) I love the music but it's usually innapropriate :I

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Anybody know some CLEAN dance music? Like the kind you hear in dance clubs... (like Dance Again by Jennifer Lopez type) I love the music but it's usually innapropriate :I
Maybe a bit more old school than what you're looking for but Mel & Kim, Bananarama, and Modern Talking are all super clean dance-pop acts. For more modern dance-pop Nine Muses, My Name, and Kleerup might be good places to start.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
This thread is getting stupid. Random links with zero description is just dumb, and not a recommendation. why not just post that crap in the youtube thread if you're not even going to talk about it and actually recommend it to a certain subsection of listeners.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
This thread is getting stupid. Random links with zero description is just dumb, and not a recommendation. why not just post that crap in the youtube thread if you're not even going to talk about it and actually recommend it to a certain subsection of listeners.
Agreed.

I've actually taken the time to listen to a lot of the things recommended in this thread, and some of it is really solid stuff. Definitely would pay more attention to something if the person who recommended it at least took the time to give an album name or a short description of the artist instead of a link, though.

Here's my iPod, I recommend all of it - but the stuff in blue are some of my favorites.
I would give details on stuff, but it would take too long. Sorta just dropping it here to see if anyone has similar and maybe they/we can share music.

Current 16gb filled iPod (for anyone who is looking for new music):

Blue = Highly Recommended

Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose
American Football - American Football
Andrew Jackson Jihad - People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People
Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind, Feels, Strawberry Jam, Sung Tongs, Merriweather
Arcade Fire - Funeral
At the Drive In - Relationship of Command
Autechre - Tri Repetae++
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Bad Brains - Bad Brains
Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution - A Call To Arms
Beat Happening - Jamboree, You Turn Me On
Beck - Odelay, Sea Change
Bjork - Homogenic
Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Bear Children, Geogaddi
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside of Me
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On, Keep It Like A Secret, There's Nothing..
Cap'n Jazz - Schmapp'n Schmazz
Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights
Choking Victim - No Gods, No Managers
Circle Takes the Square - As the Roots Undo
The Clash - Londong Calling
Converge - Jane Doe, Petitioning the Empty Sky
Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway
Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
Dark Time Sunshine - Vessel
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste of Rain... Why Kneel
Deerhunter - Microcastle, Halcyon Digest, Cryptograms
Defeater - Travels
Deftones - White Pony
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Descendents - Milo Goes to College
Destroyer - Rubies, Streethawk: A Seduction
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
Disco Inferno - Disco Inferno, The 5 EPs
The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I, Change
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
David Wise - DKC2 Soundtrack
Dr. Dooom - First Come, First Served
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
Dredg - El Cielo
Elliott Smith - Roman Candle, Either/Or, Elliott Smith, XO
Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) - What It Takes To Move Forward
Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
Fair To Midland - Fables From A Mayfly
Faith No More - Angel Dust
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin, Yoshima Battles the Pink Robot
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr Skinny Fists, F#A#, Slow Riot For New Zero
Gospel - The Moon Is A Dead World
Grizzly Bear - Yellow House, Veckamist
Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
GZA - Liquid Swords
Herbie Hancok - Headhunter
Hot Snakes - Suicide Invoice
Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
Isis - Oceanic
Jamiroquai - The Return of the Space Cowboy
Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Jezabels - Dark Storm
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, Blue Train, Ascension, Giant Steps
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures, Closer
Kashiwa Daisuke - Program Music I
Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye, Blue Lambency Downards, Coyote, Dowsing Anomene
Koji Kondo - Majora's Mask, OoT, Windwaker, 25th Anniversary EP
Laura Stevenson and the Cans - Sit Resist
Listener - Wooden Heart
Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action At A Distance
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
The Mars Volta - De-loused In the Comatorium
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
maudlin of the Well - Bath, Leaving Your Body Map, Part the Second, Fruit Psychobells
mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister, Catch For Us the Foxes
The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2, It Was Hot, We Stayed In the Water
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Let's Face It
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue, Bltches Brew, Jack Johnson, Silent Way, Sketches of Spain
Mineral - The Power of Failing
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West, Moon and Antarctica, This Is A Long Drive
Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
Mr. Bungle - California
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless, Tremolo, Isn't Anything, Glider, You Made Me Realise
Nas - Illmatic, Stillmatic
The National - Alligator, High Violet, Boxer
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane over the Sea
New Japan Philharmonic - Spirited Away OST
New Order - Substance
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Notorious B.I.G - Ready To Die
Nujabes - Metaphorical Music
Off Minor - Heat Death of the Universe
Omar S - Just Ask the Lonely
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Panda Bear - Person Pitch, Tomboy
Paul Dempsey - Everything Is True
Paul Simon - Graceland
Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted, Wowee, Crooked Rain, Brighten the Corners, Terror
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, Animals, Dark Side of the Moon
Pixies - Surfer Rosa, Doolittle
Portishead - Dummy
Prodigy - The Fat of the Land
R.E.M. - Murmur, Reckoning, Automatic for the People
Radiohead - OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, In Rainbows, HTTT, Bends, Pablo, TKOL
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Refused - The Shape of Punk To Come
Ride - Nowhere
The Rippingtons - Life In the Tropics, Welcome to the St. James Club
Rodan - Rusty
Sigur Ros - ( )
Silver Jews - American Water
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow, Meat Is Murder, The Smiths
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation, Sister, EVOL,
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Outer Space
Stereolab - Transient Random Noise, Emperor Tomato Ketchup, Dots and Loops
Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb
Submotion Orchestra - Finest Hour
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock, Spirit of Eden
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
Toby Driver - In the L..L...Library Loft
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Tool - Aenima, Lateralus
Trespassers Willaim - Different Stars
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Trophy Scars - Never Born, Never Dead, Darkness, Oh Hell, Hopsital Music
tUnE-yArDs - W H O K I L L
Typical Cats - Typical Cats
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
Velvet Underground -The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Weeknd - House of Balloons
Ween - The Mollusk
Weezer - Blue Album, Pinkerton
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating, Painful, And Then Nothing Turned Inside

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Where did you get that Spirited Away OST? Send me a PM about it if you need to *cough cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom