• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I probably saw more movies this year than I have any other year. I'm no film critic, but I'll state my opinions regardless:

The Crazies ~ An alright film. Wasn't as scary or jumpy as I hoped it would be, but still had me interested. Did Peter call?

Lottery Ticket ~ Nothing special, nothing terrible. Pretty mediocre, I think.

30 Days of Night: Part 2 ~ First film was waaaay better in my opinion. This one kind of moved too fast for me and just felt like a typical vampire film.

A Nightmare on Elmstreet ~ I actually thought this was a pretty good remake. It had a few jumpy parts for me, which I like in horror movies. I can't really remember that much from it, but I definitely liked it.

Takers ~ So I was actually dragged into this movie because it was the movie choice at this birthday party I went to. I didn't particularly want to see it and still wish we could've seen something else. It had fairly good action I guess. It reminded me a lot of the 1996 movie Set it Off. Not my favorite movie of the year, but not entirely horrible.

Easy A ~ I loved this movie. One of my favorite films of 2010. It was hilarious and Emma Stone was perfect in it. I don't think I had any problems with this movie. The plot, cast, and acting was fairly good in my opinion.

My Soul to Take ~ I'm just going to blantly say it. I thought this film was horrible. Never in my life have I seen a horror movie with such bad acting and anti-climatic death scenes. This movie had little to no jumpy scenes or the sense of fear. It was just a typical non-original teen slasher horror movie. Seriously, if you watch this movie, you're more than likely going to be let down.

Saw: The Final Chapter ~ So this Saw was personally my favorite of the series. It was surprisingly pretty good. The death traps were way more creative and gruesome, and the acting in my opinion was fairly solid. The only downside about this film that I can think of at the moment is the ending.
The ending still leaves a possibility of their being yet another sequel.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 ~ This is, without a doubt, my favorite film I watched last year. It's arguably the best installment of the series. I felt that all the actors/actresses were on their top game. At first, I was weary of the thought of the final installment being split between two films, but it worked out tremendously. This film has very good action, and keeps you hooked on what's going on. The only downside is the waiting for the next film to come out. :p

My most enjoyable films of the year:
  • Harry Potter
  • Easy A
  • Saw: The Final Chapter

Worst:
  • My Soul to Take
  • Takers

Movies I would've liked to have seen:
  • Black Swan
  • Toy Story 3
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Inception
  • The Last Exorcism
  • Devil
  • Paranormal Activity 2

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I found Inception way more entertaining than Social Network. I always consider a personal bias in my ratings because they are my ratings. While Social Network may have been a more technically great film, I wasn't drawn in enough to care about the characters that much.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I haven't seen much this year, but as is probably apparent Black Swan is definitely also my #1. After that I suppose it's a tossup between Social Network and Inception.

Aside from that, I saw Shutter Island, Clash of the Titans TRON Legacy and The Other Guys. Probably another movie or two I'm forgetting.

Shutter Island was great, TRON kinda sucked, Clash of the Titans REALLY sucked, and I thought The Other Guys was really really funny though most people don't seem to agree with me.

soap

Smash Hero
I haven't seen much this year, but as is probably apparent Black Swan is definitely also my #1. After that I suppose it's a tossup between Social Network and Inception.

Aside from that, I saw Shutter Island, Clash of the Titans TRON Legacy and The Other Guys. Probably another movie or two I'm forgetting.

Shutter Island was great, TRON kinda sucked, Clash of the Titans REALLY sucked, and I thought The Other Guys was really really funny though most people don't seem to agree with me.
You know why? Ain't too proud 2 beg.

honestly the TLC references were the saving grace of that movie for me.

Should I watch the Wrestler?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
the emotion that Wrestler evokes in a viewer is very strong, go see it

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Josh Brolin did a good job for what little screen time he had in True Grit but Barry Pepper's performance left more of an impression on me. It's kind of weird, because he probably appears in the film about just as little as Brolin and he's technically not the main antagonist. I think it's partly due to
how they handled the characters' final scenes. The showdown between Cogburn and Lucky Ned's Gang, followed by La Boeuf getting the last shot on Pepper, was a lot more climactic than when Mattie shot Chaney.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Now I know he has little screen time and is not the only bad guy. Be more judicious in your spoilers, please

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
True Grit was an amazing movie, start to finish. It's worth every cent you'd pay.

Amide

Smash Lord
@CK's list

I especially like four out of your top five movies of the year, and am especially impressed by your inclusion of Shutter Island, considering how forgotten it has become. But Inception to me just kind of seemed like a movie that was made complex for the sake of, well, complexity. I guess the emotion didn't connect with me. And your saying of how you're interested in dreams reminds me of a thread about lucid dreaming way back. . . Can you do that?

@Airgemini

I'm glad I'm not the only one to love Easy A. Great movie, and one of the best performances of the year in my book.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Now I know he has little screen time and is not the only bad guy. Be more judicious in your spoilers, please
No problem. =P I'll be more careful about it from now on.

If it's any consolation I assure you that knowing the information won't make the movie any less of a good experience.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
@CK's list

I especially like four out of your top five movies of the year, and am especially impressed by your inclusion of Shutter Island, considering how forgotten it has become. But Inception to me just kind of seemed like a movie that was made complex for the sake of, well, complexity. I guess the emotion didn't connect with me. And your saying of how you're interested in dreams reminds me of a thread about lucid dreaming way back. . . Can you do that?

@Airgemini

I'm glad I'm not the only one to love Easy A. Great movie, and one of the best performances of the year in my book.
Shutter Island was really entertaining overall, and I read the book first, so I was prepared for the ending a bit more. Scorsese's direction wasn't as apparent other than he's dead close to the source material. Leo's portrayal of Daniels was dead on to how I am imagined it.

Yeah, I can. As a kid, I would lucid dream from time to time without knowing what it was. In recent years, I had tried to induce it with some success. Thanks to Inception being a runaway hit, it made lucid dreaming really mainstream (despite not mentioning that once in the movie), which has helped a great deal. My "dream" records this year alone include 5 lucid dreams, with 3 of them being stringed together, but that's not for this thread.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I hope you didn't see the True Grit trailer then, which basically goes through the entire movie.
lol, I was surprised that they showed certain things. Ooo, that would be a cool job: being the trailer editor

Speaking of trailers and westerns, lemme double-segue into how good Rango looks :p

No problem. =P I'll be more careful about it from now on.

If it's any consolation I assure you that knowing the information won't make the movie any less of a good experience.
No worries, man. I didn't mean to sound rigid.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
So, I thought I'd do a Top 10 for 2010, but...There were just to many good ones. So, its time for Oscar Predictions!

Best Picture Nominies:
Black Swan
True Grit
Toy Story 3
Inception
The Social Network
Shutter Island
Harry Potter 7 pt 1(I think at least ONE movie in the series should be nominated)
Skyline(that Eastwood Movie):
and theres 2 spots I cant think of.

Black Swan will probably win. I still havn't seen it, I know its good though. My problem is that Im 15 and honestly Ballet doesnt interest me. I know there is more to it than that, but...ya know.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So, I thought I'd do a Top 10 for 2010, but...There were just to many good ones. So, its time for Oscar Predictions!

Best Picture Nominies:
Black Swan
True Grit
Toy Story 3
Inception
The Social Network
Shutter Island
Harry Potter 7 pt 1(I think at least ONE movie in the series should be nominated)
Skyline(that Eastwood Movie):
and theres 2 spots I cant think of.

Black Swan will probably win. I still havn't seen it, I know its good though. My problem is that Im 15 and honestly Ballet doesnt interest me. I know there is more to it than that, but...ya know.
Mark my words, Black Swan will not win.

I'm predicting Social Network.

also, wtf? Skyline is that horrible sci-fi movie, it has nothing to do with Clint Eastwood. There's also NO way that piece of crap will even get nominated. You must be thinking of Hereafter.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
YES!!! That's what it was, hereafter! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

mzink*

Smash Ace
Oo I didn't know that was out, I remember my friends ooing and ahing over the trailer for that one way back when it was like first announced. Looks interesting but kind of creepy.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Moon was dreadful. I got suckered into buying it after I saw it got good reviews by my movie magazine.

Ever watched a film and guessed what was going on but then had to wait 3 scenes to see your prediction be spot on? Yeah, that's Moon.

Seriously you know exactly what's going to happen. An interesting event happens somewhere near the start but the characters don't act upon it, they just stand around and very slowly discover the things you'd already guessed 15 minutes before. Luckily there's a time limit to add suspense I guess you could say, but the film ends before it runs out, making the time limit amount to absolutely nothing in the end

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
COMPLETELY, 110% disagree with that assessment at all.

The movie, which was flawlessly directed by Duncan Jones, was a vehicle to get Sam Rockwell out there. He did the best job last year, and the fact it wasn't even nominated makes the Oscars mean nothing.

As for what's winning the Oscars: it won't be Black Swan, Shutter Island (probably won't even get a nomination), True Grit, or Inception (maybe story nominations and acting nominations. Maybe...). I've heard The Kids Are All Right is getting a lot of recognition. I expect a lot of disappointments.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The trailers for Moon played it up as being some sort of sci-fi mystery thriller. It's really not like that at all though. The "twist" is revealed like 20 minutes in. The joy of the film is Sam Rockwell's performance(s). It's also a lot more humorous and lighthearted than the trailers would have you believe.

Certainly not a dreadful film in any sense. It's well written, well directed, EXTREMELY well-acted. But I think Pluvia's the guy who said nothing happens in Brokeback Mountain so

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Cool story on Moon: Duncan Jones plans to make it a trilogy type thing. The second comes out this year, and Sam will make a cameo.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I think Moon leaves a little bit to wonder about...like which "Sam" were you watching when, how long has passed etc...some being really easy to figure out but I still thought it was a really great movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Crimson King...I am so glad that they are making another Moon ...you made my day by saying that.

Amide

Smash Lord
As for what's winning the Oscars: it won't be Black Swan, Shutter Island (probably won't even get a nomination), True Grit, or Inception (maybe story nominations and acting nominations. Maybe...). I've heard The Kids Are All Right is getting a lot of recognition. I expect a lot of disappointments.

The Oscar consensus is that The Social Network slightly is leading The King's Speech for the Best Picture race, which is slightly ahead of The Fighter. I think it's cool in itself that Black Swan will get lots of nominations though, and probably win Best Actress, because it's not exactly a typical "academy" film.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
oh, and I just bought this poster 1 minute after first seeing it because it is so good.

That's a pretty awesome poster. Just saw this movie today, and I think it's my favorite 2010 movie. The final 15-20 minutes was just amazing cinema in my opinion.
At the end when Nina is on top of the 'stairs' on the stage preparing to make her 'swan dive' was when I realized how great the film had built up. The camera zooms out to show the whole stage, and the music is just perfect. It's then you realize that even though she has all these deep emotional/mental problems, she actually pulled it all off. An awesome scene...it actually gave me chills in theaters lol.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Inception better win at least SOMETHING...

Anyway, can anyone recommend a really scary but good movie? I'm going on a trip this weekend, and it's pretty much a tradition for everyone to watch one scary movie over the weekend. This is my first year, so I just want to watch something decent.

Amide

Smash Lord
Hahaa different movies are scary for different people so it's hard to give a recommendation unless I know what movies you find scary. Some of my favorites are The Descent, Misery, and The Ring, but if you want to go the really dark route, you could go and watch Antichrist.

Amide

Smash Lord
Yeah after I saw the end of the second I was like Oh no they didn't.... Much worse movie than the original, though I give them credit for making an ending which has a less painful transition to a sequel.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
It wasn't the
black girl getting hit in the shovel that made me mad necessarily, it was the fact that Juno and Sarah died. I really wanted Juno to live. But nooo, that guy just had to be a douche and twitch his arm.
:mad:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I also don't like the idea that there are men around in the Descent sequel. Something about having an all-woman cast made the original a much more unique movie.

Leaving Las Vegas 1995

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67qEA0r5TDE

"Maybe you shouldn't drink so much." A bar patron says to Ben,

"Maybe I shouldn't breathe so much!" he replies.

An alcoholic loses his job, trashes all his possessions and drives to Las Vegas to drink himself to death. He meets a beautiful prostitute and they nearly instantly fall in love. Her pimp has been killed, so she can work on her own terms. She asks Ben to move in and be with her. He loves her but he knows what will eventually happen, so he tells her

"Never. You can never, ever ask me to stop drinking. You understand?"

This movie is brutally honest about alcoholism. It never condemns its alcoholic character (played with terrifying brilliance by Nic Cage) nor does it glorify. It watches with poignant empathy. And it's never overwrought. She doesn't try to fix his sickness, but takes him and loves him for what he is, because she needs him. At the heart of the movie, it's a love story and it is so sincere and genuine that it makes it all the more romantic even when our characters are at rock bottom.

I can't overstate Nic Cage's performance enough. Truly one of the most harrowing and real portrayals of an addict I've ever seen.

5/5

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
The King's Speech was great.

I'm not very good at breaking things down for review, but it's 111 min. starring Colin Firth as George VI, Geoffery Rush as his whimsical but reliable speech therapist and Helena Bonham Carter as George's wife in WWII England

Top Bottom