• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Something tells me Aronofsky has seen some serious stuff. His drug and psychosis scenes seem first-hand.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So now the Oscars have been announced, lets watch as Social Network wins the best film because of POLITICS and how Toy Story 3 will be looked upon as a kids film rather than the work of art it really is.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Social Network is a very good movie (though not the best one of last year), but you are completely right about politics. It's ridiculous because I ALWAYS get worked up about the Oscars even though I'm always aware they don't mean crap.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
...I have one thing to say about toy story 3. The movie had me on the edge of my seat for the entire third act. At the very end, I've cried all four times I've seen it. When a film has me so emotionally attached to a bunch of childrens toys that I legitimately get teary-eyed, something only 2 other movies ever have done, I consider it a masterpiece of story telling. But, unfortunately, I forsee one of two movies winning: The Kings Speech(which I've heard is actually quite excellent) or the Social Network. Two very good films(so I've heard, at least. I'm going to go rent all the nominees that are on DVD soon).

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
But, unfortunately, I forsee one of two movies winning: The Kings Speech(which I've heard is actually quite excellent) or the Social Network. Two very good films(so I've heard, at least. I'm going to go rent all the nominees that are on DVD soon), but ones that weren't the BEST of their year.
Oh, be fair. You can't say anything about films you haven't seen.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I admit I am a bit biased. I didn't say Toy Story 3 SHOULD win( although I do see how my post made it seem so) personally, I actually HOPE Kings Speech wins. I very desperatly want to see it. My local theater plays only movies that will make the most money, because it's only one screen, and skipped it. But, yes I havent seen either, so naturally I will be biased for movies I have seen. I guess the word "unfortunately" made it seem as though I was bashing the two movies. I don't know why I put that last sentence there.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
This is the first year I've actually been anticipating the Oscars in spite of not seeing too many films in 2010, and I'm a bit disappointed.

Even though Inception received eight nominations I can't help but feel like it was snubbed, most notably in the Best Director category. It also didn't get any acting nods =/

True Grit deserved its nominations although Hailee Steinfeld would have been more appropriate for the Lead Actress category (I think it was said that she was put into the Supporting Actress category due to her not standing a chance otherwise). I thought Matt Damon's performance was good enough to warrant a Supporting Actor nod but I haven't seen any of the films that were nominated in that category (I hope to remedy that by seeing The King's Speech before it leaves theaters). This is also the case with The Social Network's Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake, either of which I was not only personally hoping to see but expected.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't think anyone besides MAYBE Marion Cotillard deserved a nod for acting in Inception. There was absolutely nothing remarkable about anyone, to be honest. But then again, the characters are mostly paper thin.

For Best Actor I do hope it's Jesse Eisenberg

Best Actress NO doubt Natalie Portman. I'm not so sure about this happening though.

Best Cinematography I think definitely goes to Black Swan. If Inception wins this I'm gonna be mildly upset.

Best Soundtrack...hmmmmmm.....I will have to slightly side with Inception on this, but I almost equally loved The Social Network's score

Editing I would also give to Black Swan for the sheer amount of mirror-masking work done.

Beyond that I can't really comment because I've only seen a fraction of the nominees.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
The Oscars is pretty much a joke now. You'll see some superb actors or films that don't even get nominated, and instead you'll have to watch a well known actor get rather overrated credit, or see the most political film of the year get Best Film.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Didnt shutter island get even one nomination? If so I find that weird. Its at least one of the 10 best movies this year imo.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer

Scorsese did Shutter Island, and the Academy hates him.

Social Network is a very good movie (though not the best one of last year), but you are completely right about politics. It's ridiculous because I ALWAYS get worked up about the Oscars even though I'm always aware they don't mean crap.
I disagree. While **** awards, whoever wins sets the next few years for Hollywood standards. Also, winners get a windfall in sales, which helps the writers, directors, and actors get better movies.

I wish Ricky Gervais was doing the Oscars.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
The Oscars is pretty much a joke now. You'll see some superb actors or films that don't even get nominated, and instead you'll have to watch a well known actor get rather overrated credit, or see the most political film of the year get Best Film.
This has been going on since the beginning with the Academy Awards, nothing new. It's always been biased and about the buzz. The 25th Academy Awards, The Greatest Show on Earth beat High Noon and The Quiet Man. However, as far as overblown award shows go, the Academy Awards is the best that can be done. Compare it to the Golden Globes and the Grammys and you'll see how not so bad it is.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
This has been going on since the beginning with the Academy Awards, nothing new. It's always been biased and about the buzz. The 25th Academy Awards, The Greatest Show on Earth beat High Noon and The Quiet Man. However, as far as overblown award shows go, the Academy Awards is the best that can be done. Compare it to the Golden Globes and the Grammys and you'll see how not so bad it is.
Totally disagree.

Cannes Film Festival is a fantastic awards show.

So is Berlin Film Festival

I put so much more stock in those two than any of our American award shows combined. But, I'm aware that a lot of people aren't familiar or don't follow foreign award shows like they would the Oscars

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I remember my experience seeing the trailer for that:

"Oh thid looks like Apollo 18!"
*From Director Michael Bay*
"GOD DAMMIT!"

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I actually haven't seen the Transformers trailer yet. It'll probably be disappointing, like the others. The first one was decent, though.

Why can't we get a Transformers movie about humans being stuck in the middle of a huge war, and one of the factions (autobots) tries to help them out but isn't focused on saving lives? If done right, it could be a great movie, but it must be hard for Transformers directors to resist making an action movie and not something halfway decent.

I really want The Social Network to win best soundtrack, but Inception will likely win, even though all I remember from it is the BWWAAAHHMM noises.

I also love Trent Reznor, but that's a different story.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
How was the first one decent? When Bumblebee was fighting at some industrial complex they focused on Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox fighting a tiny boombox bot. That was a summary of the entire movie.

The dialogue was terrible and the transformations were little more than metal flying and somehow forming a robot. Also, the main actors may be the two worst in Hollywood.

I watched it with Rifftrax and barely made it to the end.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
How was the first one decent? When Bumblebee was fighting at some industrial complex they focused on Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox fighting a tiny boombox bot. That was a summary of the entire movie.

The dialogue was terrible and the transformations were little more than metal flying and somehow forming a robot. Also, the main actors may be the two worst in Hollywood.

It was decent solely because the fact that these characters from my childhood looked pretty ****ing awesome made up for most faults on the first viewing. Other than that, it wasn't very good; I've only seen it once or twice.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

I dunno. I had a good amount of fun watching it. I don't have a ridiculous seething hatred of Shia Labeouf and Megan Fox is so up my alley I could watch her watch paint dry. I didn't love the movie but I didn't feel like I wasted my money to see it.

Of course, seeing the second one gave me a newfound appreciation for the first one. That ****'s like 2.5 hours and has even less robots than the first.

Staz

Smash Lord
in the second one megatron was ********, he ***** optimus in the first one and hardly got touched, but now optimus is broken and can take on 3 of three? Including the fact that black out died in the first one makes no sense. I also found a scene in the 2nd that they used and it was one from the 1st movie. Which was fail, but I still liked both of them the 2nd's intro was way cool i thought, the first one was a little more less "CHEEZY" i think and you guys have to admit when they transform its pretty dang awesome :3 anyway that is just my opinion hoping the 3rd will be a good one. also considering the fact that Megan fox is not in it ;)

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
First one was decent. Second one was brain-dead.

I'm not blowing off money for the third one, even if Megan Fox's cold, dead eyes are not returning. I've realized now that Michael Bay's directing revolves around sunsets and ASPLOSIONS with robots going PEW PEW at each other.

No thanks.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Ya just gotta take them for what they are. All movies are like that. I had a ton of fun with 5 of my friends just hanging out and watching both Transformers movies, along with Terminator Salvation. If you go into most Big Budget action movies and expect something more than just big budget action, you're going to be disappointed...with a few exceptions

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
It's just that it shouldn't be that hard to make a better version of the material than what Bay had in mind. Giant robots rendered fluidly and fight "choreography" are things anyone can do with the right budget. But Bay having been the influence that a director is, ruined a perfectly potential remake.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Ya just gotta take them for what they are. All movies are like that. I had a ton of fun with 5 of my friends just hanging out and watching both Transformers movies, along with Terminator Salvation. If you go into most Big Budget action movies and expect something more than just big budget action, you're going to be disappointed...with a few exceptions
Nah not really. There are a hundred more entertaining hollywood blockbusters than either Transformers movie.

Hell, there are like a dozen better Michael Bay movies than either Transformers.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I actually found the first to be pretty entertaining. It's giant robots beating up other robots. I wasnt expecting anything life changing, I expected giant robot fights, which I got. You want a good transformers plot? Watch the animated movie. I checked my brain at the door and was satisfied with what I watched.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
First one was decent. Second one was brain-dead.

I'm not blowing off money for the third one, even if Megan Fox's cold, dead eyes are not returning. I've realized now that Michael Bay's directing revolves around sunsets and ASPLOSIONS with robots going PEW PEW at each other.

No thanks.
Nailed it. Megan Fox is basically the new "hot girl" (or was now that Olivia Wilde seems to have filled that gap), but she never struck me as remotely attractive. She looks like she sweats a lot.

See, this never worked for me. Sure, there are a few movies I can enjoy for the sake of enjoying (mostly Jet Li and Jason Statham movies, for example), but if the story is lacking, I couldn't care less about pretty stuff because movies cost way too much for me to waste my time. Take Salt. In theaters, it looked like a cool movie I'd love to see as a popcorn click, when I finally saw it, I was just annoyed by the fact that tried to go for an Ocean's 11-remake style ending by showing you all the twists you missed because they held stuff back.

District 9 was the last "popcorn flick," for me that I enjoyed greatly. Movies like Saw, Avatar, Year One, and Green Hornet just won't do it for me despite being a "don't analyze it, just be entertained for x hours."

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
District 9 is hardly a mindless blockbuster.

My problem with the Transformers movies was that there isn't ENOUGH robots fighting. I'm not looking for a vastly intellectual experience here. Transformers 1 was fairly charming. I liked some of the action scenes, particularly the end fight but it could have been balls to the walls awesome, especially for the amount of money put into it.

Then the sequel came and was even more boring.

I had the same issue with TRON Legacy and to a lesser extent, Avatar. Stop talking and explaining backstory and show me some more cool visuals and action goddamnit!

Peeze

Smash Master
^That's the exact same reason i have yet to watch it.

If anyone saw True Grit, please explain
the ******** guy who starts making chicken noises out of nowhere part of Lucky Ned's posse. Was he explained at all?

soap

Smash Hero
^lol I looove that guy.

I don't think he needs to be spoilered out either. well I guess it would be funnier as a surprise

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Hahaha.

I don't care what anyone says, I love Super Mario Bros movie. LOVE IT. I've seen it at least 5 times. it is such a radical reimagining of the basic things that make up Mario games. It's so ridiculous and weird and post-apocalyptic, and is so the exact opposite of the games that it's just a spectacle to behold.

Bob Hoskins makes a perfect Mario and John Leguizamo as Luigi is...well, he's alright but the lack of a mustache really bugs me.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Hahaha.

I don't care what anyone says, I love Super Mario Bros movie. LOVE IT. I've seen it at least 5 times. it is such a radical reimagining of the basic things that make up Mario games. It's so ridiculous and weird and post-apocalyptic, and is so the exact opposite of the games that it's just a spectacle to behold.

Bob Hoskins makes a perfect Mario and John Leguizamo as Luigi is...well, he's alright but the lack of a mustache really bugs me.
It was a weird movie, but yeah, I did have some good memories of watching it. Not sure if I'd have the same opinion on it now. Its been years since the last time I've seen it.

For those of you wondering, the Goombas looked like this

Doesn't it look a little like Killer Croc in Arkham Asylum?

Staz

Smash Lord
Lol I love his suit/jacket. We all can't forget about yoshi who basically is a velociraptor. Good show. Though the ending always made me think there was gonna be a sequel.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I love the Mario movie, haha. Anyway, I just saw the Prince of Egypt. It was incredible. It really creates some of the most beautiful animated scenes ever. The scene where God tells Moses to free the Hebrews had me on the edge of my seat, I don't know if I'd ever seen something more beautiful, yet powerful and a bit frightening in an animated movie ever. I havent seen the Ten Commandments yet, but after seeing this, I dont know if I have to.

5/5

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Wait what? People liking the Mario Bros movie with John Leguizamo and the horrible acting? You guys usually have good taste so I'm going to let it go... for now.

was easy A good?

it got a good rt score, but emma stone just looks annoying.

It received good reviews, but it was nothing I haven't seen in a teen movie before. I didn't even find it all that funny either. Amanda Bynes has a big role in it but she's not very good.

Top Bottom