• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More than one main?

Dinolover

Smash Rookie
I know, this looks contradictory but can you have more than one main charactere? I mean 2 characteres with which you play godlikely (for expert). I read that some people were doing tournament with one char then changing in the middle of the tournament for an other char (probably better than the first one i bet) but considering that, is there better match up for those? Like Bowser must have the same way of playing than Dk or maybe Ganon for exemple...

I'm thinking about this because I ve always been a Yoshi & Link fan. But few weeks ago I've decided to train my Yoshi with the advanced techniques and to stop playing with link. But the more link's video i see the more i want to continue playing with him too. Are they the kind of same technique?
L-cancel is probably the same but i think i would prefer to DJC with Yoshi and ShFF with link?

Or I'll have to pick one train it alot then train a little of the other one?

Thx for answering and giving your experience

person701

Smash Journeyman
Personaly, I main Marth and Falco with secondary mains as Shiek and Fox. Though what I think you're saying is, "Should I train one of them before the other?" If that's the case, then not at all. You can train both if you want, but doing it one at a time does have the advantage of getting the character and their ATs "stuck in your head" so you know what to do next time. However, don't rush trying to learn a character. Take your time and learn them to the fullest you can. Don't watch videos of a pro and say, "Before I move on, I want to master the character like that." If you're just starting off in Melee or the ATs, take it slow at first.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
People do this all the time

You can but for me, it's hard to alternate between two because eventually I start to play with one character a lot and then lose interest in the other.

For example: I started to main Marth and then started to use Fox as a secondary. Then all of a sudden, I started to use Captain Falcon the most, Fox the second most, and Marth the least of the 3.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yes. Luigi and Yoshi, and I'm basically unbeatable with Luigi. ^^ But I discovered I had potential with Yoshi, and I use him a lot, and well, I'm unbeatable with him too. xD

And I also main Yoshi in Brawl. :yoshi:

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
You can play whoever you want, whenever you want.
"Mains" and "secondaries" and all that are just titles anyways.

I main Samus.
Secondaries in order: Jiggz, Link, Sheik, CF

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
It is not uncommon for people to have more than one main it's actually a good idea, because if you have a really bad matchup with a certain character you can go to your other main.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
It is not uncommon for people to have more than one main it's actually a good idea, because if you have a really bad matchup with a certain character you can go to your other main.
I completely agree. The best case scenario would be for you to be "godlike" at every single character. In fact, if you ever watch SSB64 videos of Isai, the best SSB64 player in the world, that's exactly what he does. He can play every character at the top professional level, giving him an advantage in the matchup no matter what. He always wins, too :)

Zodiac

Smash Master
Ok listen up, there are a number of universal advanced Techniques, Wavedashing and L-canceling are just two of them, then are TONS of character specific advanced techniques, For yoshi djc happens to be a VERY important one, with link there really aren't that many important ones.

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
It's not a bad idea to have more than one main...

Works out for matchups as said before...

I play with 5 people in total:

Fox
Young Link
Roy
Mario
Mewtwo

But only Fox and YL are my mains...the others are just minors....

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
It's good to have options. Before, I had all my eggs in one basket with Fox, but I recently picked up Falcon and Falco as secondaries. You don't have to choose. I surprised my friend's Marth with my Falcon. "Wait! When did you start playing Captain Falcon?!!" Been thinking about picking up Jiggs, too. . .

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Maining multiple people can always come in handy during tournaments. Look at M2K, he pulls out fox/sheik sometimes against tough matchups for Marth, and then has more success. But you can also have success with just one character *cough*ken*cough* Learning more characters can only help you though. It is definitely possible to be almost equally good with multiple characters, so I would say yes to your main question. I am not in that boat, as I would definitely say my marth is a bit better than my Jigglypuff/Peach... Although, against certain people, I've actually done best with Pikachu! (but that may just be attributed that no one has much experience playing against pikachu)

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
My order is as followed. I have Mario as my best, then Roy, then Mr Game and Watch and finally Young LInk. I like to use my top to when playing against people and the others when im trying to improve them

Overload

Smash Lord
There are a few characters I would like to use, but Ness is above all so I use only him. I fear that if I use another character I will end up ditching Ness, and I don't want that to happen I just have too much fun with him. I don't main two because I want to focus all of my attention and practice on one character to improve as much as possible. Sheik, Falco, Luigi, Pikachu, and probably a few others have always interested me though.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I mostly use Bowser, I rarely play and take any other character seriously, though I play as Bowser I am somewhat good with Samus, but I only play as her in an emergency (such as a tourney for example).

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
Maining multiple people can always come in handy during tournaments. Look at M2K, he pulls out fox/sheik sometimes against tough matchups for Marth, and then has more success. But you can also have success with just one character *cough*ken*cough* Learning more characters can only help you though. It is definitely possible to be almost equally good with multiple characters, so I would say yes to your main question. I am not in that boat, as I would definitely say my marth is a bit better than my Jigglypuff/Peach... Although, against certain people, I've actually done best with Pikachu! (but that may just be attributed that no one has much experience playing against pikachu)
Ken mained fox too.

Cam3ron

Smash Cadet
I main Samus, Falco, ICs and Fox. I recently started playing with samus cuz all my friends started to use fox after i showed them what he was capable of. It got annoying doing fox dittos.

Overload

Smash Lord
I just picked up Falco. So now it is Ness and Falco. I have to say, picking up another character makes me feel like I'm playing a whole new game. Heck I have been having fun playing against lvl 4 cpus and in training mode with Falco.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Ken mained fox too.
I know he technically secondaried fox, and his fox was probably quite good. Unfortunately, I have never seen Ken's fox due to the fact that he didn't often use it at tournaments (I don't even know if he used fox at all). Ken was still able to win Major tournaments using Marth exclusively, thereby having success with one character and proving my point...

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I think I saw Ken use Fox against PC's Falco. It was at the castle. Picking up secondaries lets you know a character better and know their limitations. Switching up characters can help with ugly matchups for your main. Some Marth is giving my Fox some trouble, then they meet my Falcon. Simple as that. I only wish I would have done it sooner.

D

Deleted member

crazy hand and master hand are my 2 mains(especially for teams lol).

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Mains are like women. The more, the merrier.

My weapons of choice are Falco, Marth, Falcon, Jiggs, Fox, and Sheik/Zelda. Raep.

Luigithemobster

Smash Cadet
Yeah several players do this. You just need to learn the advanced techniques of all the characters you want to play.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
i pretty much **** with a little bit of everybody. it keeps the game fun longer. i dont even know what my mains are anymore and i think thats a good thing. Ganon, falco, and marth are my top 3 though because my training partner wont fight me if i play certain characters(falco players hate peach)

Hibiki

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I prefer high-tier characters. So I dunno how the heck some of you use people like Link.
But you CAN have more then one main. And it will work more proficiently because you can get around certain characters that way.
It depends on how you focus I guess. It's great.
So I'd suggest using both.

LSDX

Wah!
I main Roy and Mewtwo, no big deal if you main two to three characters. I third DK, but I'm part-time working on him (I just love working with lower tier characters, harhar [and Roy is my second favorite video game character :3]).

Tamoo

Smash Master
With me, Ive always only had one main, then a whole array of other characters that im good with to play for fun. I think that brawl totally changed that with me though...Ive got to a point where I have in the region of 4 mains that I rotate depending on my mood. Still, with melee, its always been perfect the one character and stick with it cos there are so many ATs to learn with all the characters it gets a bit confusing.

Top Bottom