• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Columbus: Midwest East Training Sessions [May 25th, 27th]

clowsui

Smash Legend
"Chaz defeats NEO 2-1...."
"Chaz sweeps Lain 2-0..."
"MK18 defeats KSizzle 2-1..."
"Biglou takes out Mikehaze..."
"Atomsk loses to Biglou..."
"ESAM defeats Fatal..."
"DewDaDash upsets Malcolm..."
"Felix defeats Seibrik..."
"Chudat defeats Shadow..."
"NickRiddle upsets KSizzle..."

Such surprises came to us at MLG Orlando, the very first MLG event of the season and the return of Smash to the MLG Circuit. No one expected these surprise defeats, least of all Florida's overall stellar performance. Randomized seeding and the ban on Wiimotes may have contributed to this great swell of unanticipated results, but how much did they affect the bracket as a whole?

Florida came through with the "homefield advantage". This is clear in ESAM's placement at 4th. But could the Midwest East - Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana - have done the same? I don't know if we could have: we are splintered across four states, we all gather as a region once every two months at best and we play in isolated pockets - local Smashfests often unannounced to even other local members.

MLG Columbus is our time to shine. Are we going to continue the same habits? How embarrassing would it be, after Florida set the precedent, for Ohio to do so badly where its motivations are the greatest? Even Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, all within driving distances...how embarrassing would it be to say to one another that "we tried our best" when we didn't gather ourselves as one region, one collective?

To get to the point (TL;DR), I am graduating on May 20th, two weeks before MLG Columbus. I am fairly certain that given my month hiatus from Smash prior, my parents would be willing to open up the house twice per week (at the very least) for Smashfests. As Cincinnati smashers will tell you, my basement is fairly spacious (16 max) and I have an upper floor that can fit another 10-15 people. If you say the word, I will try my best to host four smashfests before MLG Columbus open to everybody in the Midwest Tristate and Michigan.

These smashfests will:
1. Go for at least eight hours.
2. Have six setups at the very least, eight at the most.
3. Be focused entirely on training for MLG Singles and Doubles events.

My house is also at a convenient distance from various food places (BK McDs Long John Silver's Subway Wendy's), and has a back deck that up to ten people can lounge on at a time.

Please voice your interest below. We cannot fail at MLG: this is our best chance to show the world what we've got to offer. If enough people want this, I'll set up dates as soon as possible.

--

Springfield, if you guys want to host at your house instead of coming to these, feel free to do so but I might host these regardless, unless most people express a sentiment to go to Springfield instead since it IS closer to majority of Ohio citizens and you guys already have some setups. Let me know by posting below, shooting me an IM or writing on my wall on FB.

--

Interest List:
1. clowsui
2. Steel Samurai
3. SoulPech
4. Kassandra
5. Kel
6. Airborne
7. Judo
8. Avarice
9. Icyo
10. Krystedez
11. Sovereign
12. PeppyWil
13. Tyr
14. Infern Angelis
15. Compos3r
16. cr4sh
17. Hilt
18. Fonz
19. Lou
20. Today
21. e_
--
TVs/Wiis:
1. clowsui/Kel
2. clowsui/{nobody}
3. {nobody}/{nobody}
4. {nobody}/{nobody}
5. {nobody}/{nobody}
6. {nobody}/{nobody}
7. {nobody}/{nobody}
8. {nobody}/{nobody}
9. {nobody}/{nobody}
10. {nobody}/{nobody}

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
This is a great idea, we can't let OoR people run all over us. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make these... although I'm going to be playing smash more over the course of the next month than I ever have... and it's just gonna be intense.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I am interested into coming to some of these...just depends on the day and such.

A good chance to bring the puff back!
FRAMERATE! LET'S DO THIS!

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I am very interested in these as well!
Time to put down Pokemon and pick up Brawl again. xD

Training for 8 hours sounds awesome!

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Needs moar middle of Ohio training sessions. I ain't traveling 4 hours for smashfests.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
C-bus is already stepping up as well.

We know have our Weeklies going for 6+ hours too.
Plus Bi-weekly trips to Smashfield.

This situation reminds me of the Saiyan Saga from DBZ.... us "O Warriors" have to train to defend our home....

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Cincinnati really needs to step up. We've had almost no smashfests.
There has been like one every two or 3 weeks. Come on people.

@__@

clowsui

Smash Legend
If you guys want I can make these tournaments also.

How much is gas? I'll charge venue if need be to pay for gas costs, if everybody else is okay with that...if not I'll try to get money to pay for NEOH's gas

If Columbus has a place that has the same capacity as I do and for free/low venue cost we can also alternate, no biggie

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Michigan would also want to get in on this as many of us plan on going to MLG Columbus also. We're all one region the extra experience that you can't get from just your own state would be highly beneficial for all of us.

I would love to host a tournament for Ohio,MI etc if the interest is high enough.

clowsui

Smash Legend
The sessions are open to Michigan. Currently I'm trying to see if someone in the middle of Ohio can alternate with me on these sessions as described in post 10.

A tournament is not necessary beforehand; we all need to save up for MLG. Not to mention there are already tournaments in the weeks before MLG.

The ideal setup would be that if I end up having two a week, one session includes people within a 2 hour radius of me. Cleveland/NEOH would host one on the same date for MI peeps and themselves and NWOH, while I would host for SWOH/Cbus/Sfield/IN/KY. The other session would then be held in Columbus, the central location, and we would get 30-40 man smashfests going with representatives from IN/maybe KY/NEOH/NWOH/SWOH/MI.

Airborne

Smash Lord
A good portion of Kentucky is going to be crippled in terms of training for MLG starting the beginning of May, due to UK closing down (which is where Lexington ALWAYS gets together). Judo and I might be the only 2 players from Lex that are planning on going to Columbus, and since Judo's going back to Louisville for the summer, I'm stuck with nobody to play with.

tl;dr I'm interested.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
florida just has good players who never go out of state lol.

People need to realize that if you call Smash64 on practically any given day you can get ssbb practice in lol.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
you only need one other person to get practice in lol. and Ed plays like every character.

no johns

clowsui

Smash Legend
Playing w/ more ppl gives you more of a chance to improve seeing as each player has a different mindset + Ed's proficiency with every character is not the same

Stop being lazy

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yeah, I'm up for it... if I can get a ride there. Athens is pretty well isolated, though I wouldn't mind coming home (to Columbus) for 'Fests.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I'll try to make it out to one of these, but 2-hours for a non-tournament to my parents/sister isn't very convincing (unless they're fine with me riding with someone else which they probably won't be).

Still, I think it's an awesome idea. In general we need to get better. Midwest East is a bit too spread out for everyone to meet at one smashfest location though, I think. In general we should just be hosting more smashfests to do well as a region. IN/KY has been looking quite a bit stronger, especially IN with the addition of two new tournament hosts in the Indianapolis region. Smashfests here would be awesome, that's partially me johning about ride johns though lol.

Really going to try to make it out to one of these though. We need to represent at MLG Columbus!

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
If the IN crowd wants, I can organize a smashfest, that'll let us travel a smaller distance, and get in good practice, as well as, organize who all will be attending MLG. my place is a decent size for a smashfest. It's 11 minutes from Ren's venue.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@Avarice

The single gathering point is something I addressed in post 12 after I realized how unrealistic I was being, lol

Of course then the question becomes why should INKY drive to us, in which case all I have to say is that I am a central location for SWOH and INKY...meaning that if I host here it's much more likely that I'll be able to attract a higher number of talented players.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
We'll just have to wait and see.

I really want to spearhead the competition at MLG, being one of the only good IN Wario players (though we have tons of good MW Warios), and I have a very unorthodox style compared to most. I want to see if my style can hold me through not just pools but brackets as well.

If I can get in on any of these training sessions, I will definitely bring my A-game and attempt to give others a challenge, that way everyone can get better.

Airborne

Smash Lord
We'll just have to wait and see.

I really want to spearhead the competition at MLG, being one of the only good IN Wario players (though we have tons of good MW Warios), and I have a very unorthodox style compared to most. I want to see if my style can hold me through not just pools but brackets as well.

If I can get in on any of these training sessions, I will definitely bring my A-game and attempt to give others a challenge, that way everyone can get better.
There aren't pools in MLG, mayne. =\
I really want to play you though. I keep hearing Judo talk about you and those tires that you got from AutoZone.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
krystedez you need to hit up way more tournaments. You could be one of the best players in the entire midwest if you'd travel.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Sovereign you should post that in the IN/KY social mang.

Krystadez do what Tyr said.
Also train me to be the best wario in history to ever live ever.

Also I'm interesting in MLG training.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
lololol no pools really? I guess it's not surprising. I figured since they're such big events, but I was mislead to thinking they had pools I guess, because of melee events I think? I don't know.

If I can freaking travel, I'll freaking travel. I don't have a car or license (Dad got the car I WAS gunna get TOTALED, and I'm not sure about driving anyways...), but I am sure I will be @ MLG if Sovereign is going to drive me :) If something happens, I'll find a way (looks at my Dad's new Fit)...

I just wish I could get the HELL away from college. Just two and a half weeks guys... Just you wait...

...BTW, I will train anyone who wants to use Wario Bike/Tires. But, you'll have to bare with me because I kinda go off on tangents...

dj asakura

Smash Ace
If the Midwest in general (not just OH) can organize more stuff that would be great. I wouldn't mind traveling a few hours for some things to get in good practice but the 6 hour drive is really only going to happen come June for me.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Krystedez, do you air camp with Wario at all? If so, maybe you could take a look at my air camping yoshi and see if there's anything that you could contribute? If not, you could use your bike/tire knowledge to help me with my egg placement. =P

Totally serious.

ducky98

Smash Cadet
Krystedez, help my Wario out some more whenever we see eachother again. But I don't know if I'll see you by MLG, Xero won't be able to drive people around with his license for three months due to stupid laws.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
lololol no pools really? I guess it's not surprising. I figured since they're such big events, but I was mislead to thinking they had pools I guess, because of melee events I think? I don't know.

If I can freaking travel, I'll freaking travel. I don't have a car or license (Dad got the car I WAS gunna get TOTALED, and I'm not sure about driving anyways...), but I am sure I will be @ MLG if Sovereign is going to drive me :) If something happens, I'll find a way (looks at my Dad's new Fit)...

I just wish I could get the HELL away from college. Just two and a half weeks guys... Just you wait...

...BTW, I will train anyone who wants to use Wario Bike/Tires. But, you'll have to bare with me because I kinda go off on tangents...
If you go, that means my brother is going, too, and you guys will have to save up for a room, so that we can be ready. I've also talked with Hilt, and if he's going, I'm going to grab him from Louisville, and grab Day from Cinci, if I still have room. *adds up people in head* Day makes 4 people, excluding myself, so she'll be with us. Is Jayford going?

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Krystedez, do you air camp with Wario at all? If so, maybe you could take a look at my air camping yoshi and see if there's anything that you could contribute? If not, you could use your bike/tire knowledge to help me with my egg placement. =P

Totally serious.
Haha that's cute, a Yoshi main asking me for advice. j/k.

No serious, you really want to air camp with Yoshi? He has nothing to sustain him in the air for that long, and none of his moves allow him to really "camp", much like Wario's dair and fair can let him run around. Yoshi also doesn't have the beeeeeest mobility in the air to begin with.

To be honest, I don't really air camp much unless I'm getting cautious around certain things like grabs. I don't air camp ENOUGH, but I've found myself learning strategies for characters like D3, IC's, the like...

Eggs are totally more abusable than Wario's tires and become an integral part of Yoshi's game, but they're honestly so different than the tires. Tires are situational, but last long, and can be combo'd into. Eggs are for zoning out your opponent and anti-air-combat, from what I can gather. I don't know a lot about Yoshi's game, but I'd be happy to give you advice and see what you are doing right/wrong. It just sounds awkward, putting Yoshi and Air - camping in the same sentance! XD

Ducky I'd love to be of more assistance to you, your wario was pretty exceptional, even for what you said. Just got to keep at it. If I don't see you at MLG, if nothing else we gotta meet up at another local. Just attend Vamps/Renes/etc, and you'll spot me sometime.

If you go, that means my brother is going, too, and you guys will have to save up for a room, so that we can be ready. I've also talked with Hilt, and if he's going, I'm going to grab him from Louisville, and grab Day from Cinci, if I still have room. *adds up people in head* Day makes 4 people, excluding myself, so she'll be with us. Is Jayford going?
Jayford is gunna FLY, I think... So he's got nothing to worry about.

If it's just me, you, Beast, Day, and Hilt, that'd be great. I'm not betting on Video and Ed going, but if they do, it'd be kinda cramped :X

Also, I want to be the first to say, I'd like shotgun unless Day or Hilt need it, because I get carsick very easily with long drives/many people. Almost heaved in Jayfords in only an hour drive X_X

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Krystedez said:
Jayford is gunna FLY, I think... So he's got nothing to worry about.

If it's just me, you, Beast, Day, and Hilt, that'd be great. I'm not betting on Video and Ed going, but if they do, it'd be kinda cramped :X

Also, I want to be the first to say, I'd like shotgun unless Day or Hilt need it, because I get carsick very easily with long drives/many people. Almost heaved in Jayfords in only an hour drive X_X
Okay, you can have front. I'll probably house you the night before MLG, but I have to pick up Hilt, and I'll pick up Day once we're on the way to Ohio. I'll definitely keep paper bags handy.

lou4222

Smash Lord
After being at MLG last weekend I realized the potential the Midwest (Ohio in particular) has for MLG Columbus. The smash community will be coming to our house, and this is our best chance to have everyone from the Midwest in one place.

We need to practice, and everyone needs to be on their A game come the first week of June. I played alright in Orlando, but could be better. I want all of us to be at our best!

Whenever I go to tournies, im sitting down and playing seriously vs everyone. Usually I sandbag some becaus eI dont want people to learn the GW matchup. I have found that this hurts us. We need to help each other, because the big national tournies vs other regions are what really matter.

We should support these smash fests. I plan on going to as many as I can.

Top Bottom