• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mississippi Thread - MSU Monthlies!

3GOD

Smash Ace
You mean there is one person who actually plays smash in MS? *makes some kind of face indicative of surprise and such*

Perhaps MS will be revitalized by Brawl.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
school year will be over soon nesnoob, then its time for some hardcore training.

Cursed Yoma

Smash Journeyman
i wish there was people up around here that played >_< i never have a chance to go to the coast; especially not on tuesdays unless it's on break or something <_< and even then gas and other things are a problem v_v

god****ed maggots >_>

-Chad-

Slackerator
Okay is anyone besides my crew(and NES probably) going to G4S5 at the beginning of March? It's probably the last big and close tournament around.

Distance Johns are out of the question, of the people that still actually post here, most of you live closer to the tournament than my entire crew.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Hey MS people. I'm trying to update the list for Brawl users out there. Let me know if you're playing Brawl and what character(s) you main as well as where you're located.

Cervial

Smash Cadet
=o

man laurel quit having tounaments......

The manager cancelled it because only 1 person ever won
You're in Laurel? *gasps*

I'm going to try hosting monthly SSBB tournaments in Hattiesburg. I'm mainly working on securing a venue at this point, and I'm talking with Grace Temple church and things look promising as they'd make it a "youth event".

Are there any smashers nearby that think they'd be able to make it to Hattiesburg? Obviously it would have many inexperienced players, but it is Mississippi. >______>

3GOD

Smash Ace
You're in Laurel? *gasps*

I'm going to try hosting monthly SSBB tournaments in Hattiesburg. I'm mainly working on securing a venue at this point, and I'm talking with Grace Temple church and things look promising as they'd make it a "youth event".

Are there any smashers nearby that think they'd be able to make it to Hattiesburg? Obviously it would have many inexperienced players, but it is Mississippi. >______>
I probably would come depending on the date/time, and I expect MookieRah and NES n00b and possibly Shai Hulud would come too. We need to get the MS smash scene more active.

By the way, what characters do you main in Brawl? I'll add you to the list on the first page.

Cervial

Smash Cadet
I probably would come depending on the date/time, and I expect MookieRah and NES n00b and possibly Shai Hulud would come too. We need to get the MS smash scene more active.

By the way, what characters do you main in Brawl? I'll add you to the list on the first page.
Blargh, sorry about that. I main Sheik, with Zelda and Marth as secondaries.

The good thing about Hattiesburg is the fact that it seriously is the "Hub City". Roughly two hours away from Jackson, Biloxi/Gulfport, New Orleans, and Mobile. I was surprised to find that the majority of MS smashers were up north, but that does make sense seeing as it's close to Memphis. >_O

Anyway, if things go as planned, the first one will likely be around the end of May when people are getting out of school.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my friend code is 3737-9181-9081 if anyone from MS wants to play.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Ok, I've added you to the list.

Other MS smashers want to get updated? We need to be able to represent in crew battles someday! The best way to get better is more organized play (smashfests, biweeklies, etc.).

Cervial

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, here's my latest video. I'll record anyone that wants to be, err, recorded. <_<

Anyway, the video's not too good, but it's better than my match before that with my clanmate Mara. I've since gotten a bit smarter. Nothing special or fancy, though. Do you have online, 3GOD?

3GOD

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, here's my latest video. I'll record anyone that wants to be, err, recorded. <_<

Anyway, the video's not too good, but it's better than my match before that with my clanmate Mara. I've since gotten a bit smarter. Nothing special or fancy, though. Do you have online, 3GOD?
Negative on the online...I live in a rural area with no fast-access internets. You should try to contact MookieRah since I know he plays some online.

industry

Smash Cadet
Hey Guys UPDATE

What up MS Peeps. I am setting up a few tournaments in Memphis to bring gaming communnities closer together. Would be Awesome to have some representatives from the MS in town some time. There are a few competitions for you to choose from and we are also expanding our monthly campaign of competitions. please take the time to come thru the wire and check us out we tend to make gaming events hype! Get excited if you are looking for competition.

We also have gamers that play: capcom titles, Namco, Sammy etc. So we hope you can come out and support the scene. These arer the dates and locations for Mini tourneys.
You are also welcome to bring up other titles that can consider for tournament play. Thanks

Hey guys I had to make sure what venue we where going to use but it looks like funfair for sure so if your in this list and plan on attending. Thanks alot
Great job getting the ball rollin Captain N_2000.
We feel that it is fitting to start the ranking system here going into the big games at Inevitable.....

I hope ya' ll ready for Melee(What did he say Melee?) Yea check here for the up date.
Here is the new forum posted with the details and the rules so slap may *** if I made a mistake or a correction is needed.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.ph...07#post4283107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcadiaLegend
Awesome. Here's who I added just now to my FC list. It doesn't mean you have to add me or anything. I mean I hope you will but yeah >.>
Also, I'm probably what you'd call average at the game. But the way to get better is to play better people right? I just have fun playing against others. Plus it's nice to play other people from TN. And the lag from these battles can't be any worse than someone from Chicago.

Captain N_2000
Fizz-sama
Nite
MunkyMan33
Handorin
pAnChOpUnK
TridenT
litlwing
Sunchaser007
catfriedrice
OldSchool
Infi-tan
Aurafox
JesustheDarkLord
Kyo Kusanagi
Mario'sCapeabilities
Keta
Dark Iori Yagami
ihavespaceballs
AzurePhoenix

More details to come and the hype is year round in Memphis Gaming.
This **** is brought to you smelling good by "Super Battle Network"

Sariku

Smash Master
You can add me, 3GOD.

Sariku (Biloxi) - Lucario / Marth / Sonic

My FC is to the left. You can add '.Uchiha' if you wish, but I'm sick of that part of the name, and I'm called Sariku anyways.

I'd say more, but I'm on my Wii, and my wrist is starting to numb.

molander16

Smash Rookie
EvanC from Hattiesburg!

EvanC - Hattiesburg - Brawl & Melee

Melee - Sheik/Marth/Jigglypuff

Brawl - Toon Link/Ike/Jigglypuff (but it's too soon to tell, really)

Cervial

Smash Cadet
Mississippi...spirit? O_o

ANYWAY, I've definitely secured a tournament spot; they charge $25 to rent it out for a day and you get the money back if it's completely clean when things are over. Oh, and sorry, the tournaments will be Brawl(at least at the beginning).

That being said, I know relatively nothing of hosting tournaments, so...any tips? Also, what rules would you guys be okay with? Keep in mind I'm seventeen, though the people who will help staff it will be aged 16-19. >_O

Any help is appreciated. ^_^

3GOD

Smash Ace
Mississippi...spirit? O_o

ANYWAY, I've definitely secured a tournament spot; they charge $25 to rent it out for a day and you get the money back if it's completely clean when things are over. Oh, and sorry, the tournaments will be Brawl(at least at the beginning).

That being said, I know relatively nothing of hosting tournaments, so...any tips? Also, what rules would you guys be okay with? Keep in mind I'm seventeen, though the people who will help staff it will be aged 16-19. >_O

Any help is appreciated. ^_^
These are good places to start:

The ABC's of tournament hosting
tio tournament organizer: the gold standard in tournament production software

The main thing is that tio really helps with the bracket/pools.

If you're looking for rules suggestions, I would check out this post and modify your rules for Brawl. Specifically, you'll probably want to use 3 stock instead of 4 since Brawl games take a while longer. Most tourneys use a 7:00 minute limit on stock matches as well.

For teams, most are using 3 stock, but I think 4 stock would be fine since team games are generally faster anyway. Personally, I'd probably use the following stages for both singles and teams:

Neutral (Random):
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Animal Crossing

Counterpick:
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Castle Siege
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion

Banned:
All the rest

Obviously, this is would be your decision as the tournament host, but most smashers would probably not have too many complaints with the list of stages above.

I hope you're able to host one soon (not June 28 though). Let me know when, and I'll try to get some friends to come. There are fair number of smashers in AL who you might convince to come, as well as some coast smashers and possibly some LA smashers too. I'll do my best to spread the word along with you when you decide on a date.

Cervial

Smash Cadet
I'd come but it would probably be too far from my place, so don't expect some mad Sariku skills to show up.
Hattiesburg is an hour and a half away from Biloxi, right? >_O

After looking at the stage legality discussion and viewing others tournament rules, this is what I'm thinking. Opinions are once again much appreciated.

Prizes* & Entry

1st Place: $50
2nd Place: $30
3rd Place: $20

Entry Fee: $5.00 per person

No money will be taken by the staff except for what goes into revenue costs; the rest goes into the prize pot.
Spectators are allowed, but they won’t be able to play unless friendlies are going on.

*Assuming it's at least a 32 player tournament. Prizes are subject to the number of entrants present.

The Official Rules

Game Settings

Survival: Three Stock
Time: Seven Minutes
Set: Best 2/3
Items: All Off

- In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
- No player may choose the stage they last won on.
- Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played.
- Entrants will be expected to report to their stations within two minutes of being notified. Failure to do so will result in a warning, and failure to do so twice will result in a forfeit.

Stage Choice

Neutral
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick
Luigi's Mansion
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Delfino Plaza
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island(Melee)
Jungle Japes
Onett
Bridge Of Eldin
Corneria
Green Greens
Pokemon Stadium 2

Banned
Everything else

A note on stages: A neutral stage is one that offers no advantages besides those that a character already has. Counterpick stages are levels that have some [minor] interference in game play and can be advantageous to one player, but aren't considered neutral. An example is Poke Floats from Melee, if you’re familiar with it, and as you can see it’s not very neutral. Essentially the first stage in a set is random (from a predetermined list of Neutral stages), then the loser is allowed to pick the next stage, where they will likely pick a counter pick in the hopes of beating their opponent, the loser of that match then gets to choose the next stage, though if the winner wins again, then the set is completed.

Set Order

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match
2. The first stage will be played at random from the Neutral Stage List**
3. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Neutral Stage List or the Counterpick Stage List
4. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
5. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
6. Repeat steps 3-6 for all proceeding matches

**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Controllers*

Wiimotes(+Nunchuk): Allowed
Gamecube & Classic Controllers: Allowed

Wii-Mote/Wireless Rule Guide:

1. If you are not playing a game, your batteries/battery pack must be removed.

2. Syncing will be done in the "Home" menu at the character select screen.

4. If your battery runs out during a match, it is treated as a pause. (this will warrant a restart at your opponents choice of map.) If you have no spare batteries, you must produce another controller within three minutes or risk forfeiting the match.

5. If you have no spare batteries, you must find a replacement controller before your next match. If you cannot, you will forfeit the tournament.

*Bring your own. We only allow the L/R spring removal, no other mods or use of macro/turbo buttons allowed. The use of Wireless Gamecube controllers is discouraged.

3GOD

Smash Ace
*Bring your own. No modded controllers or use of macro/turbo buttons allowed. The use of Wireless Gamecube controllers are discouraged.
Everything looks good except this. A lot of tournaments are allowing the removal of the L/R-trigger springs. This just makes shielding a little easier since Brawl doesn't register the analog portion of the L/R-triggers as shielding. Basically, it removes the analog portion of the L/R-triggers and makes them digital buttons (like the Wii-Remote/Nunchuck have digital shield buttons).

I think you should seriously consider allowing this mod since it's very common and really easy to do. In fact, if I'm able to make it to the tournament, I'll gladly perform the mod for anyone who wants - it takes about 5 minutes tops.

Also, no teams tournament?

Cervial

Smash Cadet
Everything looks good except this. A lot of tournaments are allowing the removal of the L/R-trigger springs. This just makes shielding a little easier since Brawl doesn't register the analog portion of the L/R-triggers as shielding. Basically, it removes the analog portion of the L/R-triggers and makes them digital buttons (like the Wii-Remote/Nunchuck have digital shield buttons).

I think you should seriously consider allowing this mod since it's very common and really easy to do. In fact, if I'm able to make it to the tournament, I'll gladly perform the mod for anyone who wants - it takes about 5 minutes tops.

Yeah, I've heard about that. Didn't really think of it when I was making the rules. I guess it can be allowed.

As for teams, yeah, I plan to have it. I was just in a hurry when I posted that up. The rules are basically the same, minus/plus a few levels. I'll post them tonight or tomorrow.

Cervial

Smash Cadet
I got sick which is why I didn't post the Doubles rules....

Anyway, how many set ups do you guys think is good? I can easily get my hands on about eight TVs and Brawl copies, though I need more Wiis with everything unlocked....

3GOD

Smash Ace
I got sick which is why I didn't post the Doubles rules....

Anyway, how many set ups do you guys think is good? I can easily get my hands on about eight TVs and Brawl copies, though I need more Wiis with everything unlocked....
Well the number of setups depends on what you expect for attendance. If you think 32 people will show up, then I think 8 setups should be good, but more is always better. If I'm able to come, I'd bring a complete setup (TV/Wii) with me.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I'd come but it would probably be too far from my place, so don't expect some mad Sariku skills to show up.
YOU guys still have tourneys st biloxi. Because i might start coming to them.

I thought mods of any kind were banned from tourneys.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I thought mods of any kind were banned from tourneys.
In Melee they were, but a lot of tournaments are allowing the L/R-trigger spring removal for Brawl. It's pointless to have the springs in there for Brawl since it doesn't even register the analog portion and other control schemes get a digital shield button as well.

Hey Joel, come to TGMTSBCA.

Also, **** Brawl.
I don't think I'll make it to GA, but if you want to play some Melee, I'm up for it. I saw you called me tonight, but I didn't get back to you yet. Just let me know if you're in Starkville and want to play sometime.

Also, you should give Brawl more of a chance...it's becoming more enjoyable the more I play it lately.

Top Bottom