• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mississippi Thread - MSU Monthlies!

ragnarock

Smash Lord
In Melee they were, but a lot of tournaments are allowing the L/R-trigger spring removal for Brawl. It's pointless to have the springs in there for Brawl since it doesn't even register the analog portion and other control schemes get a digital shield button as well.

I don't think I'll make it to GA, but if you want to play some Melee, I'm up for it. I saw you called me tonight, but I didn't get back to you yet. Just let me know if you're in Starkville and want to play sometime.

Also, you should give Brawl more of a chance...it's becoming more enjoyable the more I play it lately.
O, Ok. But i plAy brawl, but i enjoy melee alot more. Its more additive competive wise for me.

Sariku

Smash Master
Alright, guys. I have no date, but I have a concept.

I will be hosting a Brawl Tournament down here, in or close to Biloxi Mississippi. It will last 1-2 days and will have Singles, Doubles, Melee Tournaments, Guitar Hero, Pokemon, and the such. Of course the main draw, and where the good prizes will be, in in the Brawl side, but the rest will try to be there if we have the supplies. There is no date, as we want to know when you guys would be able to drive down here, what times would be best for you. We want to do it in the summer.

We will try to get multiple sponsors, including GameStop and maybe Beef-O-Bradee's (Spelling) to help give cash prizes and the such. We can't garuntee they will all be cash, but I know that it is the best to give. We may have a raffle going on and a few other things.

The reason why I am doing this is because I miss the Melee community I grew so found off. Ever since the place that held my local tournaments closed down, I have been secluded from most people, leaving me only WiFi. While it's fun, nothing beats hanging out with new people and having a good time in front of a Smash Bros. game.

I hope this tournament works well, and I hope you guys will give dates to come. Please invite your friends and other people from other states and such to come. We will try to supply places to sleep, but we don't know about food. Be prepared to buy your own and such, but that will be established after we get a date and location.

I hope you guys can make it, and give me ideas on what you want to see in the tournament and how it should be ran. This includes entry fee, prizes, and other general tournament rules. Together, we can make this the biggest Smash Tournament South Mississippi has ever hosted.

Please reply ASAP, and send me a PM if you feel you must. I'll post this on All is Brawl, and probably WiFi Wars as well.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Alright, guys. I have no date, but I have a concept.

I will be hosting a Brawl Tournament down here, in or close to Biloxi Mississippi. It will last 1-2 days and will have Singles, Doubles, Melee Tournaments, Guitar Hero, Pokemon, and the such. Of course the main draw, and where the good prizes will be, in in the Brawl side, but the rest will try to be there if we have the supplies. There is no date, as we want to know when you guys would be able to drive down here, what times would be best for you. We want to do it in the summer.
Don't try to do too much for one tournament. I wouldn't worry about games other than smash personally since that will detract from TV's playable for smash. If you're going to do two days, you should do one day Brawl and one day Melee.

For a date, I would shoot for August 1-2 or August 8-9. I would say earlier, but it's hard to get things organized for early July probably by this time, and July 17-20 is FAST which would detract from potential tourney goers. To me, August 1-2 looks good since no one should be back in school by that time, but August 8-9 would probably be good as well.

We will try to get multiple sponsors, including GameStop and maybe Beef-O-Bradee's (Spelling) to help give cash prizes and the such. We can't garuntee they will all be cash, but I know that it is the best to give. We may have a raffle going on and a few other things.
Sponsors would be cool, but again, don't get the tournament too busy with raffles and such. I know that I personally wouldn't participate in any side events, but others might be interested I suppose. Cash prizes are where it's at, but that should come mostly from entry fees.

I hope you guys can make it, and give me ideas on what you want to see in the tournament and how it should be ran. This includes entry fee, prizes, and other general tournament rules. Together, we can make this the biggest Smash Tournament South Mississippi has ever hosted.
Entry Fees:

Brawl Doubles ($20 per team)
Brawl Singles ($10 per person)
Melee Doubles ($20 per team)
Melee Singles ($10 per person)

That's what I would do, but of course you could adjust it up/down a little for your liking. If you're trying to make it a big tourney, at least $10 per person per event should be the fee.

Prizes:

Doubles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Singles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 10%
4th - 5%

For melee tournament rules, see here http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=137382

For Brawl, I would do the following neutral stages:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Smashville

And just use reasonable counterpicks.

I know if you do Melee, you'll get some interest from some great smashers. Maybe you can get some FL and LA people. Possibly even Memphis folk for melee.

Sariku

Smash Master
Thanks 3GOD, you are much more positive than Chad was, Lol. No offense to Chad, he helped me greatly. I like the ideas, and I will relay them to the people helping me set it up.

Now, though. If I hosted it, you you, 3GOD, come? And do you think you could bring all the other smashers? (n00B, lori, SpaceBalls, ect.)

3GOD

Smash Ace
Thanks 3GOD, you are much more positive than Chad was, Lol. No offense to Chad, he helped me greatly. I like the ideas, and I will relay them to the people helping me set it up.

Now, though. If I hosted it, you you, 3GOD, come? And do you think you could bring all the other smashers? (n00B, lori, SpaceBalls, ect.)
If you hosted it, I'd come provided there is not a major conflict. I know I cannot come on the 28th of June or the 26th of July, but other weekends I'm free as far as I know.

As for NES n00b, he would probably come if there is melee, and I'm sure Shai Hulud would as well. I don't know about Iori and spaceballs...they are in memphis and might not want to make the drive unless the attendance is looking pretty good. There are a decent group of smashers in AL and panhandle FL who you might get to come, and maybe you could get LA to travel a little bit.

Sariku

Smash Master
I'll make a thread for it later today, and if you can invite anyone my mouth, please do. They will most likely respond better to you than some random guy, but I will make a thread for it nonetheless.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
ILl try to come to this tourney depending on the weekend and I can bring about 5 others.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Biloxi is way too far from everyone and I doubt people would be willing to drive more than a couple hours for what will inevitably be a small tournament. It's not too far from a lot of the LA smashers but good luck getting them to go out of state. Memphis will not go as it's six hours away. Georgia will not go and most of Alabama will not go.

MAYBE if you can get enough LA and FL Panhandle smashers interested, people would be willing to drive. I'd go if you got a decent amount of people commited but I'm just one person.

Sariku

Smash Master
Alright, we'll I do have good news. A thread will be up today on what will be going on, but we have a few dates in mind.

The beginning of August at the earliest, which would be August 1-2 and August 8-9. We may have a place to hold it at, and if so, it will be a two day tournament. GameStop has not got back to us whether they will sponsor it or not, but the place will be free to use all weekend. The catch to that is some of the money will go to the D'Iberville Special Needs Soccer Team, set up for disabled and handicapped kids to play soccer and have fun. It will be a two day tournament, the first being Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the second being Melee. You will be able to sleep inside the place all night, and there are restaurants such as Taco Bell, Hooters, Applebees, Outback, Beef O' Bradees, and a few other places close by to the location of the tournament. We will have a Brawl Singles and Doubles and a Melee singles and doubles, each costing 10 dollars to enter. Prizes will consist of the entry fees and possibly others such as gift cards to Wal-Mart and GameStop, and possibly a new 32" TV. The better prizes will be in the tournament the most people express interest in, so weather it be Brawl or Melee, we do not know.

If you have any questions or concerns, you may post it here. We know it's a long way from most Mississippi Smashers, but assuming the prizes are good I don't think that it should matter that much. If most of you want Melee, then we will make the Melee Tournaments the ones worth the prizes. Just tell me what you guys want, as I hope all of you up north will want to come down here and meet the few smashers, like myself, secluded from everyone who is really playing the game. I will have the thread up, but also invite people yourself. People in the Melee scene don't know me nearly as well as they probably know all of you guys, so please help make this a successful tournament.

Thanks.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
if august 8-9, then i can come and bring my crew =D

august 2 im still in jaohjah

3GOD

Smash Ace
The catch to that is some of the money will go to the D'Iberville Special Needs Soccer Team, set up for disabled and handicapped kids to play soccer and have fun.
You should just charge a "venue fee" of $2 or $5 or something to go toward this and let the rest of the money for entry fees go toward the pot.

Sariku

Smash Master
I'll talk to my father about that. He is the one helping me set this up, and the president of D'Iberville Soccer League. Whatever he says goes, really.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Im a brawler from Tupelo.

Main : Lucario (My list of secondaries consist of more than half the character roster)

Oh yeah, Mookierah and Will are a bit occupied with Age of Conan at the moment. I believe Mooks quit the brawl scene, but I know he is wanting a Melee revival. If he doesnt see the Biloxi tourney himself then I'll mention it to him. Maybe the melee portion is convincing.

There is a newer Tupelo crew though, I can work 'em into shape and try to drag them if I can.

3GOD

Smash Ace

Main : Lucario (My list of secondaries consist of more than half the character roster)

Oh yeah, Mookierah and Will are a bit occupied with Age of Conan at the moment. I believe Mooks quit the brawl scene, but I know he is wanting a Melee revival. If he doesnt see the Biloxi tourney himself then I'll mention it to him. Maybe the melee portion is convincing.

There is a newer Tupelo crew though, I can work 'em into shape and try to drag them if I can.
I'm in Starkville, which is about an hour south of Tupelo. I'll be glad to help get people from Starkville to the coast if you can get them this far.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord

I can't even get Mookie to play Melee friendlies with me and I live five minutes from him during the school year. So yeah, good luck getting him to drive five hours for a tournament.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
JC, you aren't even real anymore.

@Shai
I'll do friendlies this coming semester, I had a smash vacation for a bit there.

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
I live in MS and play brawl fairly frequently. I live right outside of Jackson, in Ridgeland.

I don't have my Brawl FC on me or anything, but PM me or something... idk. I'm not very good at brawl.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Well I might as well. I want a rematch with Andy. Plus I'd like to be on the ****ed power rankings and ****. I like how I'm so easily forgotten and am not even considered to an honorable mention.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Well I might as well. I want a rematch with Andy. Plus I'd like to be on the ****ed power rankings and ****. I like how I'm so easily forgotten and am not even considered to an honorable mention.
LOl, ur kidding right. I mean U've been gone for a long time playa.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
LOl, ur kidding right. I mean U've been gone for a long time playa.
2 months? Not really that long. Before that I was playing Brawl consistently, it's just that there weren't any tournament going on during that time cause Zane disappeared. Considering I had some really ******** close matches with Andy I think I'm holding up pretty well considering.

Dunno, I've never been a fan of the MidSouth Power Rankings. I remember dropping out for a bit cause of the Jodi stuff, but I came back and did really well in a bi-weekly (Hell, I beat ****in Chad, who was ranked at like 1st or 3rd at the time, and I lost to Iori, which was 2nd) at the tournament, and my ranking which was shot to abysmal only went up by one placement or something, even though it was apparent that my skill level was still in the upper echelon of the list.

Either way, enough drama talk, I'm going balls to the walls with Brawl, and I'ma gonna beat some duders.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
2 months? Not really that long. Before that I was playing Brawl consistently, it's just that there weren't any tournament going on during that time cause Zane disappeared. Considering I had some really ******** close matches with Andy I think I'm holding up pretty well considering.

Dunno, I've never been a fan of the MidSouth Power Rankings. I remember dropping out for a bit cause of the Jodi stuff, but I came back and did really well in a bi-weekly (Hell, I beat ****in Chad, who was ranked at like 1st or 3rd at the time, and I lost to Iori, which was 2nd) at the tournament, and my ranking which was shot to abysmal only went up by one placement or something, even though it was apparent that my skill level was still in the upper echelon of the list.

Either way, enough drama talk, I'm going balls to the walls with Brawl, and I'ma gonna beat some duders.
O, my bad. It just felt like those 2 month felt like for ever, but I kinda see how you feel. That happened to me when i beat reflex(i lost one round to you G@W) and moogle at INNV and it took like 6 or 7 months for me to even be a potiential. And it took the last melee Tuscaloosa tourney for some of the rest of the panalist to even acknowlegede my skills. And for the longest I beat, over placed in tourneys 90% of the rankings list in melee. H*ll i was the best on melee in bama for the longest time(unoffically LOL) and still is. But handle your business mookie and beat the sh*t out of some smashers,as good as your were in melee, I know u can date **** most if them.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
O, my bad. It just felt like those 2 month felt like for ever, but I kinda see how you feel. That happened to me when i beat reflex(i lost one round to you G@W) and moogle at INNV and it took like 6 or 7 months for me to even be a potiential. And it took the last melee Tuscaloosa tourney for some of the rest of the panalist to even acknowlegede my skills. And for the longest I beat, over placed in tourneys 90% of the rankings list in melee. H*ll i was the best on melee in bama for the longest time(unoffically LOL) and still is. But handle your business mookie and beat the sh*t out of some smashers,as good as your were in melee, I know u can date **** most if them.
lol. Back in my day, the power rankings were no longer being made. Not a problem then. XD

Sorry guys that I haven't been on recently. I will explain why in the Brawl PR thread once I find it.

Top Bottom