• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mississippi Thread - MSU Monthlies!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@Biohazard
I'll be in Starky once MSU starts back up. So will 3God and my friend Will.

I might try to organize a Brawl tournament through the anime club or something to bring out some of the other locals/MSU goers. There were a lot of them back when the game came out, I wonder if they are still around.

bigj_justin

Smash Rookie
wassup yall this is kinda random but im from booneville ms and im lookin for any1 near me who wants to do ssbm/b tournaments ..or if any1 knw where any big tournaments r near here il like to go to em (expecaily wit cash prizes lol) .... btw u can IM me any time of the day at jusin_chaos@hotmail.com

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
Play Melee you noob.

JK.

But not really.
Heh. I didn't know you still skulked around here. 'Tis cool, I suppose.

I find Brawl a bit more fun, as I am technically inept.

I'll be in Starky once MSU starts back up. So will 3God and my friend Will.

I might try to organize a Brawl tournament through the anime club or something to bring out some of the other locals/MSU goers. There were a lot of them back when the game came out, I wonder if they are still around.
Cool. I will be there as well. I went to the Anime Club event last semester, but I could only attend after the tournament for friendlies. 'Twas still fun, though. I'd certainly make every effort to attend any more that might happen.

I have some friend(s) who like to play as well. We might have to play sometime.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I went to the Anime Club event last semester, but I could only attend after the tournament for friendlies.
Did you hear about all the drama later on? It's really stupid what happened. I was at that tournament to win money, to be honest. Before I signed up I asked a bunch of questions. I was making sure it wouldn't be a scrub fest with items, smashballs, and what not. They told me that the payout was going to be quite large, as the anime club was only going to take 20% of the winnings and the pot was split 70/20/10. 50 people were signed up, so I thought that meant that they had $500. 20% of that was $100, so that drops the winnings to 400, and 70% of 400 is $280.

Somehow, around semi-finals they got around to telling me that the payout was really 70$ for first, 20$ for second, and 10$ for third. As you could imagine, I was pretty pissed, cause not only did they lie to me (albeit unintentionally which I found out later) but they were totally ripping off the people who attended. To make matters worse, when I won they only gave me $60!!! They decided at the last minute to give 3rd place $10 extra at my expense. This made my net winnings $50. $50 going to first from a pot of 500 is bull****.

So yeah, I was going to speak my mind about the winnings at the tournament, but Will and I rode together to the campus and he HAD to go at that moment. I discussed the matter on the anime club boards, and basically I pointed out how poorly the TO ran the tournament and how pretty much every solid rule he had I played a part in and/or was actually voted on at the tournament. I told the staffers of the tournament, the guys that were helping, that they did a good job, cause it was actually well staffed and they tried to help me as much as they could. What ended up happening is an immediate flame war of the entire anime club getting angry that me, the winner, complained about the winnings, as well as defended the guy who ran the tournament, even though they have ABSOLUTELY no frame of reference for what a good tournament is.

Long story short, I ended up talking to the TO for a long long time, and we resolved the issue. He said he was really sorry for all the chaos, and he regretted how things ended up happening. To this day though, the anime club hates my freaking guts; however, I can still probably get the TO guy to allow me to use the anime club as a ticket to host tournaments and potentially the occasional bi-weekly on campus.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
A lot of scrubs have the mindset that winning any amount of money or anything at all at a video game tournament is good enough because you're just supposed to be having fun.

Otherwise it's like gambling.

The anime club was probably using the tourney as a fundraiser. If that had happened to me I would have been seriously pissed. I mean I'm sure you were pissed, but I would have screamed and made empty threats at people.

One of the guys in the anime club (the one who looks like an ugly girl) asked me "are you one of those really lame guys who counts frames and stuff" one time, which I think is scrub-talk for "not terrible."

Basically **** the anime club. I don't think you need them to host a tournament, unless you're just dying to get some extra scrub money.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Uhh...duh at anime junkies blinding defending something, they do that with every anime they think is good(regardless of how terrible it may be, some will just say they like it cause omg it came from Japan so it must be good right?)

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Hey hey.
At least I admit that half the shows I watch suck.
Edit: In fact, right this very moment, I'm watching an episode of the third season of an anime that I think has been awful since the second season... but I still keep watching it.
And I still watch Bleach every week WTF.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Basically **** the anime club. I don't think you need them to host a tournament, unless you're just dying to get some extra scrub money.
I have to have a club to back me up if I am to use any of the campus facilities for a tournament. It would probably be easier to contact Andrew, the guy that hosted that scrub tournament, as he will just give me the green light. That's all I really need them for, otherwise I'd have nothing to do with them.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
I have to have a club to back me up if I am to use any of the campus facilities for a tournament. It would probably be easier to contact Andrew, the guy that hosted that scrub tournament, as he will just give me the green light. That's all I really need them for, otherwise I'd have nothing to do with them.
That is, unless you went and founded a Smash Club...

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Do you really have to be affiliated with a club? I thought they had a room at the union you could just request in advance, but you probably know more about it than I do.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Do you really have to be affiliated with a club? I thought they had a room at the union you could just request in advance, but you probably know more about it than I do.
Yeah you do. Or at least you used to back in like 2006. I had to ask the Japanese club to basically sign off on me to use the old upstairs union for smash when I hosted a tournament there.
Or why don't we just have a party at Mookie's house? =) Come on. It would be fun. <_< >_>
That is where most of the bi-weeklies will be.
That is, unless you went and founded a Smash Club...
For starters it's a *****. A fairly large *****. It would require way more work than it should, and on top of that I'd have to get a teacher to back the club. So yeah, not likely.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
Digging this bad boy up from a few pages deep.

Recently moved to Richland (Jackson), MS. Still not too familiar with the area, but does anyone brawl nearby?

3GOD

Smash Ace
Digging this bad boy up from a few pages deep.

Recently moved to Richland (Jackson), MS. Still not too familiar with the area, but does anyone brawl nearby?
biohazard930 is from Madison and plays Brawl, but he'll be moving back to Starkville for school in a few weeks. Shai Hulud is also from Madison if you're looking to play Melee, and he will also be headed back to Starkville in a few weeks.

To sum up, you should move to Starkville. :)

Joel is a faculty member.
True, but I doubt that I have the ability/privilege to sponsor a club since I'm basically a glorified graduate assistant. I think that some guy (electrical engineering faculty I think) named Bob Reece might have been at the anime club tournament, and he might have more clout than I.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
True, but I doubt that I have the ability/privilege to sponsor a club since I'm basically a glorified graduate assistant. I think that some guy (electrical engineering faculty I think) named Bob Reece might have been at the anime club tournament, and he might have more clout than I.
Pretty sure you can advise a club. I looked at some of the clubs in existence and not all of their sponsors have doctorates. For instance the advisor for the anime club is an instructor. I couldn't find any specific guidelines for advisor qualifications either. But lecturers are considered falculty so I don't see why you couldn't.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I just joined here and I have brawl, I live in Ocean Springs, right by Biloxi, I main Mario, Link, Bowser, Captain Falcon, Falco, Ike and Marth *Best is Ike*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN5Zuw4QFgY This is a match that I lost to a good player back in May, it leads to another match that I won against the same person for an online tourney, the match though wasn't all that good since he left so I won without doing the last match...oh well.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Put Kevin in the Tupelo section
He plays Diddy/Falco/Marth/Ness

And I play Wolf/DK/Lucario/Snake/MK

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I want friendlies Daniel at Fullmetals tourney. Don't forget or i will never forgive you.... EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

3GOD

Smash Ace
Mookie, 3GOD, are you considering going to Fullmetal's melee tourney? Also for any other MS people who want to go:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185372
It's doubtful for me...I'm not really into making the trek to GA especially when there's going to be a tournament (Melee and Brawl) in Tuscaloosa the next weekend. By the way, did you ever get your Gamecube fixed or get a new one?

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
It's doubtful for me...I'm not really into making the trek to GA especially when there's going to be a tournament (Melee and Brawl) in Tuscaloosa the next weekend. By the way, did you ever get your Gamecube fixed or get a new one?
Yeah but there will be more people at this one. And yeah I got a new gamecube.

Ragnarock, there will surely be mad friendlies.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
so mississppi, noob has alerted me that starkville is only an hour and a half away from tuscaloosa, which means when (if) you guys have smashfests I will strongly consider attending, and possibly bringing some AL peoples with me

Cursed Yoma

Smash Journeyman
>_> i would love to hear about some smash fests around here.. brawl is boring so far and my melee disc is messed up at the moment; but i would love to find someone to play with.

BLAH! the yoma has spoken or something..

anyone play DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3? me and my friend was wonderin casue we'd also like people to play in it.

<_< here's hopin for the best..

Baky

Smash Journeyman
>_> i would love to hear about some smash fests around here.. brawl is boring so far and my melee disc is messed up at the moment; but i would love to find someone to play with.

BLAH! the yoma has spoken or something..

anyone play DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3? me and my friend was wonderin casue we'd also like people to play in it.

<_< here's hopin for the best..
Right now I think MS has more Melee players than Brawlers. The Brawl scene exist in Starkville/Tupelo. Melee idk

Starkville is planning on hosting a tourney soon.

Also, competitive DBZ fighter. HELL NO. If its not smash I suggest: Guilty Gear Accent Core, SF:III Third Strike, SF Alpha 3, Tekken 5, or SC4. (MvC2 suxx)

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Right now I think MS has more Melee players than Brawlers. The Brawl scene exist in Starkville/Tupelo. Melee idk

Starkville is planning on hosting a tourney soon.

Also, competitive DBZ fighter. HELL NO. If its not smash I suggest: Guilty Gear Accent Core, SF:III Third Strike, SF Alpha 3, Tekken 5, or SC4. (MvC2 suxx)
I doubt three Melee players is bigger than the Brawl tupelo scene. :(

Edit: But the few Melee players we have are pretty **** sexy....yeah.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I doubt three Melee players is bigger than the Brawl tupelo scene. :(

Edit: But the few Melee players we have are pretty **** sexy....yeah.

The Tupelo/Starkville scene is like 6 people and then many scrubs. Then there is Chad up north who likes Melee much more.

Then there is Shai, you, Rag, and the Gulf group.

I don't count the super scrubs. If I did, the Brawl scene in Tupelo/Starkville would be pretty big.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
OK, so when is MS having there big tourney, hopefully its before i quit smash.
Better not be soon. D=

@Baky: Gulf coast doesn't travel to play smash. Not only that, but they mostly play Brawl casually. Ragnarock is not from MS, he is from AL.

Melee players who actually go to tournies is Shai Hulud, -Chad-, me, and sometimes 3God (rarely). Everyone else doesn't go to tournies and play Brawl mostly.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I'm in Starkville during the school year but I go home to Madison some weekends and for breaks and stuff. Madison is about 15ish minutes north of Jackson.
D*amnit Daniel, stop telling those f*cking thugs to qiut throwing bricks threw my windows at night. I'm gonna give your money. Can u wait til Tipped off 3. :mad: That's the last time I buy crack from you on credit.

Top Bottom