• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight's Match-up List

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKD

Smash Lord
:metaknight: Metaknight's Current Matchup List

80/20 (major advantage)
:falcon: C.Falcon
:ganondorf: Ganondorf
:link2: Link
:luigi2: Luigi
:sonic: Sonic

70/30 (heavy advantage)
:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff
:dedede: King Dedede
:lucas: Lucas
:mario2: Mario
:ness2: Ness
:peach: Peach
:pikachu2: Pikachu
:pit: Pit
:pt: P.Trainer
:rob: R.O.B.
:samus2: Samus
:shiek: Sheik
:toonlink: Toon Link
:wolf: Wolf
:zelda: Zelda

60/40 (small advantage)
:bowser2: Bowser
:diddy: Diddy Kong
:dk2: Donkey Kong
:fox: Fox
:popo: Ice Climbers
:ike: Ike
:kirby2: Kirby
:lucario: Lucario
:marth: Marth
:olimar: Olimar
:gw: Mr. Game & Watch
:warioc: Wario
:yoshi2: Yoshi
:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus

50/50 (even)
:snake: Snake
:falco: Falco

Last update: Nov 25th, 2008.

Ulevo

Smash Master
60/40 (Slight Advantage)
R.O.B.
Marth

50/50 (Even)
Diddy Kong
Lucario
King Dedede

40/60 (Slight Disadvantage)
Snake
Donkey Kong
Falco
G&W

This is what I argue for Meta Knights match ups. Wario is not at an advantage in my opinion, nor is he even. Diddy Kong I'm unsure of, and I am leaning towards Dedede being 60/40 for Dedede. But overall I feel this is fairly accurate, even though some of it could be argued.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
meta does well vs DK as long as u dont get downsmashed at 80% and die

some snakes do well... others dont.

this game is very matchup oriented.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
honestly, bowser should not be 80/20.. everyone's gonna sayy "whaat??!!?! roflrofl rofl it's BOWSER" yes .. it is bowser. lol but bowser can fight him pretty well actually... coming from where i cna actually play some bowsers and see how things work out.. bowser is a giant tank.. extremely hard to kill.. and obviously cna kill you at low percent. also several of his moves can break right through your tornado.
also he can do some pretty cool grab release stuff lol.. grab pummel release to jabs and possibly get in another grab and repeat.
maybe 7/3 mk advantage though.

also, mario... not 80/20.. have you actually fought good mario's? well the best mario's i have played with i have not been albe ot up b ONCE due to the fact that he can instantly cape you and even cape you when you are just gliding out of oyur up b O_O... at the most it should be 7/3 .. i dunno though.. but for sure it is not 80/20.

and lol at zamus.... she is actually only 4/6 vs mk =/. my brother, snakeee.. has been able ot fight and beat the top mk's and if not beat then at least fight evenly with. just using that as an example.. there are not many zamuses that show you that the matchup actually isn't bad though.. so i see why everyone just puts down that she sucks.

Snakeee

Smash Master
How bout I play you sir, and I'll show you what a "(practically pointlessly big advantage)" really is :)
It's an even match up, ZSS vs. Metaknight.

I'll MM you for all the money in the world if you want. I don't care if I trip 1000 times.

Rhykune

Smash Cadet
Bowser has to go down to a small advantage for Metaknight not just because of the grab release chaingrab, but also because of similarities to DK, long range and the ability to take a beating and kill Metaknight very early. Also Fire Breath hinders most of MK's approaches.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Saw it, great descriptions and pointers, strange odds.
Like I said, I already know the difficulty rating really need adjusting.

You could help me with them; its better than to have a separate thread only for difficulty ratings.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yoshi is an Even Matchup at the very least, and we got an entire thread of facts and debate as of why

Also Colours make it pretty

TKD

Smash Lord
Yoshi is an Even Matchup at the very least, and we got an entire thread of facts and debate as of why

Also Colours make it pretty
Thanks. Yoshi has a 60/40 advantage in FD and Smashville, but not in other neutrals...does Yoshi really do that well? I saw the Yoshi vs MK thread on the MK forums, maybe I should read through a similar thread in the Yoshi forums.

EDIT: I put Yoshi in as 50/50 because of being stage-dependant.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Thanks. Yoshi has a 60/40 advantage in FD and Smashville, but not in other neutrals...does Yoshi really do that well? I saw the Yoshi vs MK thread on the MK forums, maybe I should read through a similar thread in the Yoshi forums.
So if you agree that Yoshi has an Advantage on the Flats, and even on the other Neutrals... Then why is he still disadvantage?

And yes, Yoshi does indeed do that well against him

TKD

Smash Lord
Thank you for helping with the Yoshi match-up, Mmac.

If there are any more doubts, I'd like to read them.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
It would be nice if you added the separate Pokemon PT has instead of only PT

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
Heavy advantage on Zelda 0_0 What ?
Zelda is supposely ( i spelled wrong ;_; i think so) one of MK hardest match-ups :3anyway, i don't think it's a heavy advantage =O

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
You fight all three anyway.
I have to disagree on this statement.
I play pokemon trainer, I know which of my pokemon do well against who. So I usually will get the first kill(with charizard, if I am at a high percent, I switch to squirtle.) Then i try to do some damage, and I lose the stock. Then My better chars come back. I don't really play with squirtle. He kinda just dies.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Wow, this matchup thread goes back and forth constantly. Would be nice to see some reason or even a notice on why X Character got moved back/forward

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
methinks that G&W, DK, ROB, & Falco seem a bit underrated. Also, I know there's a heavy advantage against Samus, but 80-20 seems a bit extreme.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I almost can't take this seriously... actually, I cannot. People claim that he's just good and that he doesn't blatantly destroy half the cast, yet I'm looking at 23 characters with at least a heavy disadvantage vs. Metaknight. Would be nice for you to explain your reasoning on a lot of this, because I can't see these ridiculous advantages overall. He should only have the best advantages on characters who generally aren't good in the first place.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Hmmm... I thought DK and Yoshi were already proved to be reliable even matchup's, unless something happened that I don't know about....

Also Pokemon Trainer is actually pretty good against him, or at least Squirtle and Charizard. (At least, that's what I'd heard), and should be nowhere near 8:2

I still don't understand the radical and unexpected changes.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I believe MK has a slight advantage over Snake, and an even more slight advantage over Diddy.

Also, it doesn't really make sense to rank Meta Knight in a list of Meta Knight's Match-ups.

Just my 2 cents
-Affinity

TKD

Smash Lord
I dropped MK from the list.

Snake, Yoshi and Diddy Kong are MK's worst matchups. But they don't beat MK. I find the three of them being at a disadvantage against MK, but as a MK player they're the scariest to face.

DK, Dedede, Yoshi and Falco are characters that WOULD beat Metaknight, but they don't because of the tornado. They all have somewhat of an answer to it, but all are unreliable.

I'll post my thoughts on the matchups that generate the most conflict of opinion. I'll also change the list once more.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yoshi does do well. Most people forget he has armor on his second jump, I've used this to bust out of tornadoes (since I never really figured out how to DI out of it) with a Nair or come back through the top with Down B. Alot of other tricks he has are already discussed.

As for punishing a pivot grab which some think will work...good luck the Pivot grab is so ridiculously fast.

As for just going above the pivot grab with the tornado...yoshi does have an aerial grab as well (neutral B) true this doesn't lead into a chain grab but I have grabbed a number of ignorant (ignorant to yoshi anyway) MKs with it. So something that stops tornado above and on the ground? There goes a good chunk of MKs game. Nado is still good and fast though so you can catch yoshi's off guard from time to time still.

Shuttle loop I have no idea what priority it has (most in the game? I really have no idea). but yoshi's Bair does beat out the glide attack from it which is pretty nifty, and since yoshi's Bair is a multihit so it cancels and hits the MK (unless the one i played didn't attack for some unknown reason?)

As for footstooling being a good way to kill yoshi...honestly I've never been footstooled by a human opponent (comps a few times, they're surprisingly clever for some reason) yoshi doesn't even need his second jump with the trajectory most of MKs attack his him at yoshi could just fly back with his crazy good air speed. I've actually been footstooled once by a person but survived because I didn't use my second jump till after the footstool.

But yeah MKs still a big hassle so i'd say he still has a slight advantage at least.

TKD

Smash Lord
Yoshi does do well. Most people forget he has armor on his second jump, I've used this to bust out of tornadoes with a Fair or come back through the top with Down B. Alot of other tricks he has are already discussed.
Yes, Yoshi does do well. I think he's MK's hardest matchup. I have to check more into it, but the list is pretty accurate. About pkmn Trainer, I've never seen a top MK lose even ONE MATCH against a pkmn trainer player...

The list really is kind of extreme, but more than anything, it's due to Brawl's huge list of underused characters.

I didn't rank any characters as 90/10's or win/lose's because of MK not having actual infinites, which would be HILARIOUS, since his Mach Tornado is already funny enough.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
The original post of this thread looks more like someone just pulled a bunch of numbers out of their *** and decided that was that. Out of experience I'm going to just ignore this and move on, the other thread Affinity has put together has MUCH better information on it.

That and I like his name sounds for some strange reason, I can't quite figure out why...

Mmac

Smash Lord
Snake, Yoshi and Diddy Kong are MK's worst matchups. But they don't beat MK. I find the three of them being at a disadvantage against MK, but as a MK player they're the scariest to face.

DK, Dedede, Yoshi and Falco are characters that WOULD beat Metaknight, but they don't because of the tornado. They all have somewhat of an answer to it, but all are unreliable.
Yoshi does good, but even I agree that he will probably never surpass into the advantages until he finds more options. He's easily one of his worst though, especially since he has so many inescapable attacks on him

And as Gindler said, Yoshi actually has plenty of options to deal with his tornado. Pivot Grabs, Usmash, Upwards Fsmash, Falling Nair, Dair, Neutral B, UpB, DownB. Only half of those are only reliable though, but it's still more than enough.

TKD

Smash Lord
Yoshi does good, but even I agree that he will probably never surpass into the advantages until he finds more options. He's easily one of his worst though, especially since he has so many inescapable attacks on him

And as Gindler said, Yoshi actually has plenty of options to deal with his tornado. Pivot Grabs, Usmash, Upwards Fsmash, Falling Nair, Dair, Neutral B, UpB, DownB. Only half of those are only reliable though, but it's still more than enough.
Wow! I've never noticed how easy it is to upwards fsmash in Brawl, that's amazing!

I'm learning to play Yoshi from Mmac's posts in these forums actually. And from some live Yoshi action I witnessed by losing to BurntSocks.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Burntsocks is a very good Yoshi Main, but I don't really like him. He challenges and tries to disprove everything I do, and it's annoying

Ulevo

Smash Master
Metaknight's Current Matchup List

80/20 (major advantage)
Ganondorf
P.Trainer
C.Falcon
Samus
Sonic
Jigglypuff

70/30 (heavy advantage)
Bowser
Sheik
Ness
Link
Lucas
Zelda
Fox
Toon Link
Luigi
Mario
Pit
Ike
Wolf
Peach
Wario
Ice Climbers
Olimar

60/40 (small advantage)
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Zamus
R.O.B.
Kirby
Pikachu
Donkey Kong
King Dedede
Falco
Lucario

55/45 (almost even)
Diddy Kong
Snake
Yoshi

Currently re-checking: No one
List is finished. For now.
You give Mach Tornado far too much credit. God Tier? Come on.

Jigglypuff is not an 8/2, it is a 7/3 at worst.
G&W, Donkey Kong, Snake, and Falco should all be 6/4 in favor of them. The Tornado does not not save him from these four, especially not Falco or G&W.
Dedede and Lucario should go 5/5.
Not to discredit Yoshi, but I don't see him being a 5/5. Maybe a 4/6 in favor of Meta Knight. I might be wrong, but just because you can beat the Tornado and you can CG him across the stage for like... 4-8% doesn't mean you have the advantage on him.

There are other match ups I don't like looking at here, such as Samus being as low as she is for a match up, but I am not inclined to give an inclined opinion. This has given me motivation to compiled a complete list of every move and maneuver that can bypass the tornado, just so everyone will stop *****ing about it.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Obviously, the OP is just another person who wants MK to be banned. This match up chart is not accurate. God tier not confirmed...

Mmac

Smash Lord
Not to discredit Yoshi, but I don't see him being a 5/5. Maybe a 4/6 in favor of Meta Knight. I might be wrong, but just because you can beat the Tornado and you can CG him across the stage for like... 4-8% doesn't mean you have the advantage on him.
Again, you still state that all Yoshi has is just a Chaingrab. He has much more than that, and the primary reason that Yoshi = MetaKnight is that his Defencive Game is superior to MetaKnight's Offencive Game

Ulevo

Smash Master
Again, you still state that all Yoshi has is just a Chaingrab
No I'm not. No one was talking about how Yoshi could stand his own vs Meta Knight until this CG to Spike strategy was brought up, and everyone keeps emphasizing heavily on why that makes this match up even. I am merely pointing out that it doesn't.

the primary reason that Yoshi = MetaKnight is that his Defencive Game is superior to MetaKnight's Offencive Game
You have got to be joking. Please tell me you're joking.

Mmac

Smash Lord
No, I'm not joking.

There's like a 70 Post Topic of why in this board. Just read that, it pretty much explains the entire matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom