• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight should be banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did you quote me and respond this way? I said nothing that contradicts your statements.

Edit: But personally I do not believe he should be banned. At least not this early. I'd expect it to happen one day though. The initial diversity in brawl was something to enjoy but a character of this calibur will surely ruin it. I myself have worked up a MK. Its far from difficult.
I'm simply challenging you to put your statements in action. Play my MK. I really want to see if you can defend yourself as well as you can say it.

Darkurai

Smash Master
I swear to god, every stupid post in this thread is from an '08er.
"Meta Knight won't get banned"
Okay. Why not?
"Because he won't."
Why not.
"Because you can't ban characters."
Why not!?

I swear to god, the next time someone says that Meta Knight won't be banned without giving a decent reason that is related directly to META KNIGHT, I will walk to their house and punch them in the face.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
Personally, I do not like to admit that a character is "too good." Rather, I try to find any weakness he may have, and exploit them. MK's weaknesses are:

Limited kill moves - he must approach a few very specific ways if he wishes to take a stock.

Diagnol attacks - an attack by a small frame character (haven't tested it on the big ones yet) from an angle will not easily be punished. Watch out for Up-B however.

Projectile spam - MK has no projectile. He must get close to hit you. He makes up for this with good ground speed, but somewhat lacking air speed. Projectile users who can force MK back have a chance.

Limited air movement - his air speed is slow, and can be abused occationally by characters with a faster air speed. This is VERY hard to do.

Range - good spacing can occationally give MK problems (like everyone else).

Battle plan for MK - spam until MK's approach. Ground - short hop an air through his shield, continue a short-hopping barage, land behind him always and attempt grabs when possible. Get him away, and make sure your attacks hit at the tip when on the ground. When he is far away - spam as much as humanly possible, and abuse projectiles until he is forced to return. When MK is in the air, spacing is essential, and if possible, an attack from beneath him and to the side would be ideal (A tether attack would be the ideal example). If MK uses a short hop aerial, this is the most important time to remember spacing. It is essential to out-range his air with a ground attack. Or you could try shielding, and seeing what he does next, depending on the relative height of the shorthop to you character. You might be able to shield-grab MK, or take advantage of a small mistake in short-hop timing which allows you to attack from a shielded aerial.
so your saying spam the hell out of him huh? Then why is Pits worst matchup Metaknight? shouldnt we have an easy time after all we fallow your "battle plan" on most of the cast right?
NO ****TARD Nado Eats up all the arrows and other projectiles. Not to mention His dash attack Goes under MOST projectiles. Yeah good luck shotting that laser falco while metaknight kicks your feet.
I cant believe you still think MK has tough time killing what is this The first month of realease?

I cant believe some of you guys are defending Metaknight. He single handley destroys half of the tourney viable characters. Wonder why ToonLink looks good but has barely any tournement wins? Metaknight.

THC giving us a "plan" to defeat metaknight was probably the stupid thing youve done yet.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Personally, I do not like to admit that a character is "too good." Rather, I try to find any weakness he may have, and exploit them. MK's weaknesses are:

Limited kill moves - he must approach a few very specific ways if he wishes to take a stock.

Diagnol attacks - an attack by a small frame character (haven't tested it on the big ones yet) from an angle will not easily be punished. Watch out for Up-B however.

Projectile spam - MK has no projectile. He must get close to hit you. He makes up for this with good ground speed, but somewhat lacking air speed. Projectile users who can force MK back have a chance.

Limited air movement - his air speed is slow, and can be abused occationally by characters with a faster air speed. This is VERY hard to do.

Range - good spacing can occationally give MK problems (like everyone else).

Battle plan for MK - spam until MK's approach. Ground - short hop an air through his shield, continue a short-hopping barage, land behind him always and attempt grabs when possible. Get him away, and make sure your attacks hit at the tip when on the ground. When he is far away - spam as much as humanly possible, and abuse projectiles until he is forced to return. When MK is in the air, spacing is essential, and if possible, an attack from beneath him and to the side would be ideal (A tether attack would be the ideal example). If MK uses a short hop aerial, this is the most important time to remember spacing. It is essential to out-range his air with a ground attack. Or you could try shielding, and seeing what he does next, depending on the relative height of the shorthop to you character. You might be able to shield-grab MK, or take advantage of a small mistake in short-hop timing which allows you to attack from a shielded aerial.
My defence of MK staying - while MK is tough, by finding a system to effectively defeat MK with a decent amount of the cast would make him not as bannable. This is my take on the MK matchup.

Opinions, please?

EDIT: Pit spamming bad. Fox spamming good. Pit need to curve his arrows, and MK is a small target. Thus Pit is not very good at hitting MK. Although, I am curious as to how MK beats Pit close-range. While Pits attacks have little range, Angel Rings has more priority than the tornado. Other than that, I could easily see Pit failing.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Because brawl isn't the average fighting game.

The people who complain about any characters being broken are players that are so terrible that they have to come up with some reasoning outside of their control to compensate with how bad they truly are.

EDIT: and will some mod please come in, give a simple, yet informative answer, and lock this thing...
really, thats all it comes down too? *shakes head* even the most unbiaed opinion would say that meta is most likely to be banned. I dont even think Melee fox had this much influence over the meta in his time. are you serious? Brawl isn't the average fighting game. yes that's true. niether was guilty gear, but you constantly saw situations where Potemkin beat an Eddie, or Ky beat a Testement, because if you looked, there was a weakness you can exploit, Meta has none. and even if he makes a mistake, u got about 2-3 frames to do something, if that.

and if you look at some of the people posting here, you'd realize you were wrong about the people "complaining" about meta. I mean, Thumbs made the thread for crying out loud.

QNZ_RAFA

Smash Ace
If you ban metaknight the next best charcter will take his place and so on until we have to ban every character in the game.

Meta is not going to be banned.
wow you obviously havent been reading ne of the posts. THE NEXT BEST CHARACTER is SNAKE. o and he can be beaten. EASILY.. just pick the right characters and gimp him . D3 CHAIN GRAB ALL DAY. pika chain grab all day w/ his Down B if he tries to come in high. Wario's bite on the cypher off the stage = DEATH TO SNAKE. FALCO chain grab into spike + reflecting his grenades and NIKITA back at him. SO MANY WAYS to beat SNAKE. the game will be played based on counter picks. SMART COUNTER PICKS and smart STAGE SELECTION. but since there's already a character that exists that serves as a counter to EVERYONE then there's no need for SMART CHARACTER AND/OR STAGE SELECTION now is there?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
LOL, at least fox it was hard to learn to play as him. And his recovery could be very gimpable. Also up throw rest with Jigglypuff. The ultimate counter to an average Fox player. But what can u do against meta? NOTHING. You can't up throw rest him, you can't gimp his recovery, u can't do ****. I belive we should have a vote wether hes banned or not. It should be for the WHOLE community to vote.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
I swear to god, every stupid post in this thread is from an '08er.
"Meta Knight won't get banned"
Okay. Why not?
"Because he won't."
Why not.
"Because you can't ban characters."
Why not!?

I swear to god, the next time someone says that Meta Knight won't be banned without giving a decent reason that is related directly to META KNIGHT, I will walk to their house and punch them in the face.
Meta Knight is not unbeatable. If you can't beat MK then get BETTER.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I'm simply challenging you to put your statements in action. Play my MK. I really want to see if you can defend yourself as well as you can say it.
I take it you mean online. Which I'll refuse. Not a test of skill but a test of who has the most ability exploiting the problems online. Maybe we can have such a challenge if I get stationed in California.

EDIT: How about this. All of those who keep saying "MK is beatable" or "MK has Weaknesses" etc. play me. I'm available whenever. Just prove to me that he's easy to beat and i'll stop mentioning it.
I never suggested meta was bad. xD

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
I would sig that, but i'm keeping mine.

EDIT: How about this. All of those who keep saying "MK is beatable" or "MK has Weaknesses" etc. play me. I'm available whenever. Just prove to me that he's easy to beat and i'll stop mentioning it.
"Easy" to beat was never mentioned. He is not easy to beat. But he CAN be beaten. If you reside yourself to the belief that he cannot be beaten then you never WILL beat him.

I take it you mean online. Which I'll refuse. Not a test of skill but a test of who has the most ability exploiting the problems online. Maybe we can have such a challenge if I get stationed in California.
How exactly do you exploit problems online? Lag isn't necessarily something that you can exploit. Just time your moves ahead.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I would sig that, but i'm keeping mine.

dude, that won't prove anything. at all. it'll only prove that you are good/not good with meta, and will have no impact on this thread or the metagame. so stop plz.

Btw, I was playing against metas at lukkys the other day, and this is the second time i went there and lost to spamming Tornados and Up Bs, even though i expected it. Once he started doing that it was over. so that's what mad eme beleive meta needs to be banned, from the games release, to now, i've been looking at him closely, and even play him, and he requires no skill to be good at. it is a horrible thing, really it is.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
My defence of MK staying - while MK is tough, by finding a system to effectively defeat MK with a decent amount of the cast would make him not as bannable. This is my take on the MK matchup.

Opinions, please?

EDIT: Pit spamming bad. Fox spamming good. Pit need to curve his arrows, and MK is a small target. Thus Pit is not very good at hitting MK. Although, I am curious as to how MK beats Pit close-range. While Pits attacks have little range, Angel Rings has more priority than the tornado. Other than that, I could easily see Pit failing.
angel ring? are You kidding me? angel ring doesnt even out prioritize the nado the only thingsd pit can do is f-tilt and d-smash Both very slow. d-smash prob wont even hit meta if hes a bit above ground.

what system? there is no system. either your trwice as good as the meta or you get lucky. there is no You and me are equal so i will win 1 game and you will win the other. No instead its. I hope you mess up metaknight and even if you do most of your attacks are lagless so i hope u suicide instead.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You realize that MK's already very small opennings could get screwed up online, right? A lot of the MK countering requires perfect spacing, which is difficult with lag. Although, lag usually supports slow characters more than fast ones.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Meta Knight SUFFERS from input lag? That's new to me, I thought everyone else suffers playing against Meta Knight on Wifi.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
How exactly do you exploit problems online? Lag isn't necessarily something that you can exploit. Just time your moves ahead.
be ike! lol jk.

online isn't a means of proving yourself tho, it really isn't. Unless you're within 50 or so miles of each other, you really won't get a good connection.

Another thing about online is when the game freezes randomly (even with a blue connection) then whoever you're playing ends up behind you after the freeze. This really sucks while trying to gimp.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
actually Pit suffers the most from Online lag due to this inability to do his frame related ATs. and of course bending arrows is also based on instinct and timing which online lag makes us fail. anyone who uses frame related techs will suffer from online due to timing. Natural combos however are easy to adapt to since they are not frame related but rather based on Your opponent

Point aside: MK should be Banned. While banning 1 character youll soon see twice as many Tourney viable characters. so ban 1 get 6 free? good deal.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
You realize that MK's already very small opennings could get screwed up online, right? A lot of the MK countering requires perfect spacing, which is difficult with lag. Although, lag usually supports slow characters more than fast ones.

Wifi is irrelevant when it comes to talk of banning characters.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
angel ring? are You kidding me? angel ring doesnt even out prioritize the nado the only thingsd pit can do is f-tilt and d-smash Both very slow. d-smash prob wont even hit meta if hes a bit above ground.

what system? there is no system. either your trwice as good as the meta or you get lucky. there is no You and me are equal so i will win 1 game and you will win the other. No instead its. I hope you mess up metaknight and even if you do most of your attacks are lagless so i hope u suicide instead.
While I can see Pit players hating MK as much as everyone else hates Pit, your attitude towards the MK matchup will make you lose. The more difficult a matchup, the more organization is necesary to overcome it. Now, if you really want to beat MK, consider his VERY small openings and pick a character who can abuse them. That is probably the only way to beat MK.

Meta Knight SUFFERS from input lag? That's new to me, I thought everyone else suffers playing against Meta Knight on Wifi.
Apparently, his moves need to be extremely precise to be effective.

I really don't notice any significance in playing different characters online. You can function the same if you are accustomed to lag.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
I play with Peach, Falco, Fox, Sonic, Mario, Pit, Ike and many other characters as well.

I still play with them. Just time your moves ahead.
I guess I don't know where you're coming from. You said "prove that MK is easy to beat." Does that mean you want someone to play YOU with MK? ONLINE?

And what is the point anyway? Are you hoping to lose?

Darkurai

Smash Master
Meta Knight is not unbeatable. If you can't beat MK then get BETTER.
Let me be more clear.
I'm not going to take a side on this argument. But people are saying things like that. And those people are not contributing to the argument, they're contributing to the "this thread is getting to the point where I just want to leave GBD forever."
You're one of those people btw.
Why shouldn't MK be banned?
AND IF YOU SAY "JUST GET BETTER", I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
because if u noticed there seem to be more people wanting to ban metaknight then those trying to defend him.
And the fact that everyone advocating the closing of this thread has an '08 join date (and one idiot with a Dec 07 one).

I think we should ban brawl from competitive play.
I agree.

I don't think this thread should be closed because it actually is trying to get something accomplished in order to make Brawl a more enjoyable competitive game. How would you like it if every tournament you attended you were knocked out by a MK? It's happened to me ever since Brawl started. Tournys are double elimination and each time either one or both of my losses have come from Metaknights. I'm not bad at this game either, I still place decently most of the time despite this. I've beaten very notable Snakes and G@Ws but what's my motivation when the MKs outnumber everyone? I play them ALL the time and I still have no way of consistently beating them (if ever).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You cannot powershield on reaction on Wifi. You have to predict the attack half a second early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom